Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: Bring back Chad "Johnson"
Yes 64 40.25%
No 95 59.75%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23720
Default Re: Chad on ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBengals View Post
I just watched the video, and to me Chad seems emotionally unstable. I can see it in his eyes and in his responses to criticism. We all know he's an emotional person. If he gets back into football his domestic violence incident will be front and center again. I think Chad's lost in his new life without football since that's all he's ever known. Personal issues are never good for a football team. These are some of the reasons I would stay away from him.
Why would he be emotionally unstable? Over the past 2 years, he's lost nearly everything that ever meant anything to him. It's tragic. I wish him well.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 291

I would like to bring Chad, if the other option was to bring Titus Young. Joking

I wouldn't mind if he could come and make a tryout, we never know what he can do.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 18690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Why would he be emotionally unstable? Over the past 2 years, he's lost nearly everything that ever meant anything to him. It's tragic. I wish him well.
He has a history of angry emotional outbreaks too.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35089

Quote:
It already has and will continue to hurt us. We'd better hope Marvin Jones puts it together in a hurry. The playoffs have already started for us. We can't afford to lose another game all season.

I'd be very tempted to bring Chad back, but I have two fears with Chad.

1. Chad will be Ocho.
2. There will be a kind of mystique that he he was brought in to save us. I'd rather see Marvin challenge Marvin Jones and the other WRs and the whole team that they have to save themselves.

I don't know. The fan in me would like to see Chad come back in Stripes and retire with a ring....or two.
right with you... I think the Ocho has died and the Johnson is back or so im telling myself.

with your second fear Chad is and will forever be an all time bengal Great. And mike brown loves a redemption story. I would see it more at giving this man a Chance at Redemption and Glory and there would be some very strick ground rules put into place.

I not saying chad couldnt be chad but he needs to be the RIGHT chad before his head got so big.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 326

I think bringing CJ back is a horrible idea. The Bengals are at a very important crossroads right now in my opinion. In the era of Dalton the Bengals are (including the playoff loss) 16-7 when you take out the Pitt and Baltimore games. They're 0-6 against them. If this Dalton lead Bengals team can start beating Pitt and Balt regularly, they will continually find themselves in the playoffs for years to come and be considered one of the more successful franchises in the league. They have to start beating Baltimore and Pitt for that to happen. These next four games are paramount to what could be a huge playoff run. If they win all for or go 3-1, they'll be one of the hottest teams entering the post season.

Having said that, Chad Johnson was a part of a Bengals era that could not and did not beat Pittsburgh regularly. (Granted his teams did have some success against Baltimore) Chad never played his best games in important games. He never shined the brightest under the brightest of lights. Aside from that, I also dont see how someone who hasnt played any football this year, and barely any last year, can come in and contribute to this team any more than the players already on the team who have been playing all season.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:14 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 342

I would definitely bring him in and see just how much he wants to play again. I liked Chad J. when he was here, and think he could teach guys like AJ a lot. Think about it, if we signed him now, he would likely be on his BEST behavior and be as good as possible running routes, because it would be like his time to get teams interested in him possibly for next season.

If he messes up or seems to be reverting to Ocho then cut him.....but sign him to vet minimum and make him #2. Teams would be like who do we block?? AJ or Chad?? It would be cool to see how other teams approached that. Plus, like what was already said, MB seems to be the redemption guy....Chad messed up, seemed to eat a whole humble pie at once, and I think he is mentally back on Earth.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

I just watched the interview. I expected something different. He hasn't changed. No way. Keep him away from the Bengals. When he said he'd go back to being the same guy he was before he was at New England, suggesting living his life in public. Nope. It won't work. Case closed. You're either focused on football, or you're not. I didn't hear him say that if given a chance, he'd focus only on football, like the old Chad Johnson. So, I have to assume that he'd be back to Twitter and racing horses. If that's who he is, that's fine. But it will guarantee he's never in Stripes again.

Last edited by Shady; 12-05-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:16 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Bandini View Post
Chad Johnson was a terrific receiver. Best Bengals WR all time before AJ Green will.

He will always be a Bengal for me.

I remember when he bought 13 000 tickets for the fans could see the game vs Detroit.

That was the most classy thing i've ever seen for fans in all sports.

I will always love the dude.
IMHO Isaac Curtis showed up in big games and was much more consistent than Chad.The nfl was much more physical back then.Rules and defenses were changed because of Isaac. I think Isaac was the greatest Bengal wideout.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 706

He never learned the routes here in 10 years him and Carson was never on the same page.Same thing on the Pats Brady told him to learn the playbook if he wanted to play he never did and played very little.But some of you are sure he would learn this playbook that is funny.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35089

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsBong View Post
He never learned the routes here in 10 years him and Carson was never on the same page.Same thing on the Pats Brady told him to learn the playbook if he wanted to play he never did and played very little.But some of you are sure he would learn this playbook that is funny.
maybe with the playbook on an ipad he can learn it faster that his type of device. lol...

At the same time People know who he is and what he can do. we would just have to get him to do it i doubt this happens... But it would be a great story especially if it ended well for all parties.

I want Chad to retire as a bengal even if he never plays for us again.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Did anyone even watch the whole thing? Chad is a trainwreck right now. He obviously can't accept the fact that he's washed up, and he made himself look ridiculous today.

I've always loved Chad, but there's no way this guy is fit to play football right now. He needs to fix himself.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Did anyone even watch the whole thing? Chad is a trainwreck right now. He obviously can't accept the fact that he's washed up, and he made himself look ridiculous today.

I've always loved Chad, but there's no way this guy is fit to play football right now. He needs to fix himself.
Yeah, I was much more sympathetic toward him before I watched the interview. He did not come off well at all. Still the same self-absorbed, but fun-loving, idiot he always was.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4167

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
This might be a marriage made in heaven. Bengals have a need and Chad's had all the diva knocked right out of him. Could be a heckuva story, having Chad as the missing piece. He would definitely take some of the heat off AJ and give Marvin Jones another year to be ready. I'd have no problem with a one year deal and it shocks me that I'm even saying this.
100% this.

The absolute best thing the Bengals could do is to cut Binns and sign Chad for the rest of the year and tell him up front his performance and attitude will decide if he's asked back next year.

Chad plays his a** off, we have one of the better #2 WRs in the league for the final push into the playoffs( and beyond). No team can double both WRs. If they try that BJGE runs for 200 every game.

Best of both worlds. MB is the great redeemer!! Get it done Mike (or Katie)!!!

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

#15--gone, but never forgotten...
Old 12-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr18 View Post
100% this.

The absolute best thing the Bengals could do is to cut Binns and sign Chad for the rest of the year and tell him up front his performance and attitude will decide if he's asked back next year.

Chad plays his a** off, we have one of the better #2 WRs in the league for the final push into the playoffs( and beyond). No team can double both WRs. If they try that BJGE runs for 200 every game.

Best of both worlds. MB is the great redeemer!! Get it done Mike (or Katie)!!!

I think it's not necessary to double Chad to shut him down. A Newman type of player can do it alone
Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31517

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsBong View Post
Man, that's just some BS that Carson's cavalry came up with. I remember when people were saying that TJ was telling Chad where to line up every play. If that's the case, then how did Chad go for 1355 yards and 10 tds with Jon Kitna at QB and Peter Warrick as his #2 (with TJ on injured reserve)?

Chad had trouble in New England because it was an extremely complicated playbook that he had very little time to digest before the season. Jay Gruden did a great job simplifying his playbook for last year, so I have little doubt he could do the same thing for Chad.

I never heard a thing about Chad not being able to digest the Dolphins playbook... they just let him go over the legal issue.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Man, that's just some BS that Carson's cavalry came up with. I remember when people were saying that TJ was telling Chad where to line up every play. If that's the case, then how did Chad go for 1355 yards and 10 tds with Jon Kitna at QB and Peter Warrick as his #2 (with TJ on injured reserve)?

Chad had trouble in New England because it was an extremely complicated playbook that he had very little time to digest before the season. Jay Gruden did a great job simplifying his playbook for last year, so I have little doubt he could do the same thing for Chad.

I never heard a thing about Chad not being able to digest the Dolphins playbook... they just let him go over the legal issue.
Well Said!

Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1441

let me be the 1st to say, I would hit that new host of First Take,Cari Champion harder than Taylor Mays
hits in a preseason game.
that chick is smokin hot. wowzers
she goes in goes in my Ebony Hottie HOF along side Lanisha Cole, Aisha Tyler, Leanne Amos,Liz Robbins and Nautri Naughton.
I wonder if Skip Bayless could ever bring himself to try to remove her clothes.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2689

No way they would bring him in here, I don't care if AJ himself went down. No way. This is a young team learning to win together, and they seem to be fairly tight too. You don't bring a guy like Chad in, and risk screwing that chemistry up. Especially given his background here.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3245

Quote:
Is that really the point? If we're so awful, you must actually HATE Chad to want to welcome him back. Why would he want to play for such a "glorious rich franchise?" Didn't you read/hear when he said he wished he'd retired a Bengal? He must not think it's such a bad place.
I was commenting on your statement you only get once chance with this franchise which I feel is false. We've given plenty chances to other ex con Bengals. Chad compared to them is an angel, I could probably see the 1 strike rule apply for a team the Patriots but for us I don't think so.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6027

Quote:
Yeah, I was much more sympathetic toward him before I watched the interview. He did not come off well at all. Still the same self-absorbed, but fun-loving, idiot he always was.

I agree to an extent, but damn man they were really hammering on him badly,,,as well they were constantly cutting him off.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:41 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 39139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabo614 View Post
I agree to an extent, but damn man they were really hammering on him badly,,,as well they were constantly cutting him off.
It was one of those moments when watching that show makes you feel cheap. Then AFTER he left they were talking about infidelities in his relationship and who was at fault etc...

Hey, dipwads...you're on a sports network, leave that crap out.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3245

I thought Chad conducted himself well in the interview, he was very honest.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20460

I watched a big clip of it a bit ago on sportscenter. There is no reason for us to pursue him next season, at all.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 976

After the way Chad talked about Marvin on Twitter, etc., there is NO way Marvin would ever allow Chad back here with these young wideouts.

Plus, I wonder what big Whit would think about a Chad return.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabo614 View Post
Not excusing their behavior at all, but that's the reality of today's infotainment. It's stupid. No dignity. I despise it. The Chad/Ocho Brand is, in large part, a product of it. He exploited it to his advantage from 2009 onward. As long as he was out of trouble, it worked for him. But now that he's in trouble, it works to his disadvantage. To make it work for him, he'd have had to admit he was wrong for allowing his use of it for shameless self-promotion to distract him from the game.

He more or less said that he was going to go back to that kind of living his life in public. It somehow, in his mind, defined his style of play. The Patriots denied him that, and that's his excuse for playing so poorly there. He could't be himself, and for some bizarre reason it impacted his ability to catch passes and run routes.

He tried being politically correct on the Belcher issue, and take partial blame for his current situation, but he didn't view being an attention hooker as being a problem.

He came back to, once again, pimp Brand Chad, to get back in the public eye again, to feed his ego, and to shop himself to some NFL team who might be in the market for a media spectacle. He failed miserably.

After that performance today, I can guarantee you that Marvin Lewis will not allow him within 500 feet of a Bengals uniform. I'm not happy about it. I think it's tragic. I liked Chad when he was simply a football player with alot of personality, but the personality destroyed the football player. It's a damn shame.