Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 10,061
Rep Points: 22833
Default Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

This is assuming we don't lose any of our starters to FA.

1. OLB: C.J. Mosley, Alabama - We need a SAM. Here's a SAM.

2A. WR2: Terrance Williams, Baylor - Good size. Plays the ball well. Can go get the deep ball. If we want to really help Andy and AJ, let's treat the Raiders' pick as a luxury. Put Qs of who's #2 to bed.

2B. FS: Tony Jefferson, OK. / Bacarri Rambo UGA, Take your pick

3. RB, Kenyon Barner, Oregon, BJGE is solid. Here's Scott's replacement as Change of Pace Back.

4. SS: Shawn Williams UGA - Very solid looking SS candidate. A real ball hawk!

5. DT: Jordan Hill, Penn State - Devon Still's replacement in 2012 looks to be as good as Still

6A. TE, Michael Williams, Alabama - Big blocking TE

6B. OT, Alex Hurst, LSU - I don't know. Could he be better than Roland?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 PM
stknux stknux is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 63
Rep Points: 61
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Not a bad mock at all
I'm a supporter of early WR, but I wish I liked Terrance Williams more.
(My preference is Cordarrelle Patterson at 2B, but that would change your draft a bit.)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

John Wetzel OT Boston College should be there in the 6th and has RT starter potential.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-04-2012, 11:30 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stknux View Post
Not a bad mock at all
I'm a supporter of early WR, but I wish I liked Terrance Williams more.
(My preference is Cordarrelle Patterson at 2B, but that would change your draft a bit.)
I think Taverres King WR Ga in the later rounds could be a real good pick for us.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 AM
ibengals's Avatar
ibengals ibengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,308
Rep Points: 5169
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
I think Taverres King WR Ga in the later rounds could be a real good pick for us.
I like him a lot too. Very underrated.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:45 AM
stknux stknux is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 63
Rep Points: 61
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Here's my alternate version of your mock (since I mentioned WR at 2B ):

1. C.J. Mosley, OLB
2. Giovani Bernard, RB
2. Robert Woods/Patterson, WR
3. Bacarri Rambo, FS
4. Shawn Williams, SS
5. Cornellius Washington, DE/OLB
6. Michael Williams, TE
6. [insert OT here]

Last edited by stknux; 12-05-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 10,061
Rep Points: 22833
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stknux View Post
Not a bad mock at all
I'm a supporter of early WR, but I wish I liked Terrance Williams more.
(My preference is Cordarrelle Patterson at 2B, but that would change your draft a bit.)
Williams led the nation in receiving yards. Patterson was up there, too.

After watching this team, I'm convinced that a top flight WR to pair with AJ, a al Roddy White and Julio Jones in the ATL, would put us over the top on offense. Hell, I wouldn't be too upset if we took a WR in round 1, though there isn't one I think we should draft in Round 1.

We also need to add a real Change of Pace talent like Barner.

The OLine looks to be better than it's been in years.

The other high-mid round picks have to go to beef up the middle and back end of our defense. The nice thing about Jefferson is that he's versatile enough to play some corner. Both he and Williams are leaders, too.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 10,061
Rep Points: 22833
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stknux View Post
Here's my alternate version of your mock (since I mentioned WR at 2B ):

1. C.J. Mosley, OLB
2. Giovani Bernard, RB
2. Robert Woods, WR
3. Bacarri Rambo, FS
4. Shawn Williams, SS
5. Cornellius Washington, DE/OLB
6. Michael Williams, TE
6. [insert OT here]
I like that a lot, too. I'm a little leary of SoCal WRs, but I like Bernard at 2A.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 10,061
Rep Points: 22833
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
I think Taverres King WR Ga in the later rounds could be a real good pick for us.
Agreed. He's got the tools.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2012, 01:38 AM
stknux stknux is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 63
Rep Points: 61
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Williams led the nation in receiving yards. Patterson was up there, too.

After watching this team, I'm convinced that a top flight WR to pair with AJ, a al Roddy White and Julio Jones in the ATL, would put us over the top on offense. Hell, I wouldn't be too upset if we took a WR in round 1, though there isn't one I think we should draft in Round 1.

We also need to add a real Change of Pace talent like Barner.

The OLine looks to be better than it's been in years.

The other high-mid round picks have to go to beef up the middle and back end of our defense. The nice thing about Jefferson is that he's versatile enough to play some corner. Both he and Williams are leaders, too.
Yeah, I would like to put these #2 WR discussions to rest by just getting one. So I'm a fan of taking a sure-starter early.
If you think BJGE should remain a good part of this offense, then your choice of Barner makes sense. Giovani Bernard is a great option
as well if you can tolerate taking a WR at 2B and ignoring the safety spot until the 3rd round.

Last edited by stknux; 12-05-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Jasonew6's Avatar
Jasonew6 Jasonew6 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,714
Rep Points: 29560
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

I think who our #2 is has already been put to bed. Too bad he just went on IR.
__________________

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM
stknux stknux is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 63
Rep Points: 61
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
I think who our #2 is has already been put to bed. Too bad he just went on IR.
Would you mind sharing your reasoning as to why Sanu should be our #2 wide receiver?
What advantage is there in moving him from the slot other than to keep Binns/Tate off the field?

Last edited by stknux; 12-05-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Jasonew6's Avatar
Jasonew6 Jasonew6 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,714
Rep Points: 29560
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stknux View Post
Would you mind sharing your reasoning as to why Sanu should be our #2 wide receiver?
What advantage does moving him from the slot have other than keeping Binns/Tate off the field?
Did you watch him play?

Hawkins is our slot guy.

Sanu is the #2.
__________________

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 AM
stknux stknux is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 63
Rep Points: 61
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
Did you watch him play?

Hawkins is our slot guy.

Sanu is the #2.
Both Sanu and Hawkins are slot guys. (Teams generally use either a shifty receiver or a tough
possession receiver who can catch in the middle of the field. We have both.)

And yes, I watched Sanu play very well from the slot. Just because our depth stinks doesn't mean the 2nd best non-TE receiver is a true #2 WR.
I guess the difference in opinion comes down to what we think Sanu's capabilities are.

Last edited by stknux; 12-05-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 PM
OchoCincos's Avatar
OchoCincos OchoCincos is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,304
Rep Points: 3089
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stknux View Post
Both Sanu and Hawkins are slot guys. (Teams generally use either a shifty receiver or a tough
possession receiver who can catch in the middle of the field. We have both.)

And yes, I watched Sanu play very well from the slot. Just because our depth stinks doesn't mean the 2nd best non-TE receiver is a true #2 WR.
I guess the difference in opinion comes down to what we think Sanu's capabilities are.
Exactly. We have one slot receiver (Hawkins) and one good player that can flex around, but is best suited for slot (Sanu).

Reasons to draft a true outside receiver to be our #2:
1) Hawkins becomes a FA at the end of this season. I think RFA, but still a FA. He may end up playing elsewhere next year. No guarantee he returns.
2) Always good to have insurance in case one of our main receivers goes down. We do not know yet whether Marvin Jones has developed enough or will by the end of the season. Look at the Falcons. They drafted Julio Jones and already had White. Both are dynamic receivers. They are now at the top of the NFC with an even more dynamic offense. Getting a top notch WR2 and COP RB could be all this offense needs to become elite again.

I would not be upset with a high pick on a true WR2. Heck, I say go for it. The FA market is going to be somewhat weak anyway for WRs, and we won't pay the amount of money that Bowe or other caliber receivers to be a WR2.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-05-2012, 01:02 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
Did you watch him play?

Hawkins is our slot guy.

Sanu is the #2.
Sanu is a slot guy not a #2 receiver. Sanu is not a guy who is gonna line up on the outside and help strecth the field for the guys in the middle.AJ can do that on his side but we need someone else just as dangerous on the other side(whose not a slot WR).
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-05-2012, 02:18 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,017
Rep Points: 24240
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Sanu is our #2 WR.
It has nothing to do with alignment has everything to do with him being a weapon and dependable. I get that some people want the outside threat, but it isn't such a need.

Z - AJ Green
Y - Sanu/Hawkins
X - ???

When you have Green and Sanu at Z and Y you do not need a stud at X. You just need a competent WR. That is all. It boils down to weapons. Do you have more than 1? With Sanu, we do.
Gresham is far too inconsistent, he can't be counted on for the #2 role but when he can be the tertiary option for a QB like Dalton who has AJ taking the deep coverage and a WR like Sanu going underneath, it will leave Gresh open all day one on one with someone.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Jasonew6's Avatar
Jasonew6 Jasonew6 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,714
Rep Points: 29560
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Sanu is a slot guy not a #2 receiver. Sanu is not a guy who is gonna line up on the outside and help strecth the field for the guys in the middle.AJ can do that on his side but we need someone else just as dangerous on the other side(whose not a slot WR).
He doesn't have to stretch the field. He's a chain mover and a red zone threat. Never underestimate the value of a guy like that.
__________________

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Steeler Eater's Avatar
Steeler Eater Steeler Eater is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: I got this
Posts: 12,462
Rep Points: 18231
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
This is assuming we don't lose any of our starters to FA.

1. OLB: C.J. Mosley, Alabama - We need a SAM. Here's a SAM.

2A. WR2: Terrance Williams, Baylor - Good size. Plays the ball well. Can go get the deep ball. If we want to really help Andy and AJ, let's treat the Raiders' pick as a luxury. Put Qs of who's #2 to bed.

2B. FS: Tony Jefferson, OK. / Bacarri Rambo UGA, Take your pick

3. RB, Kenyon Barner, Oregon, BJGE is solid. Here's Scott's replacement as Change of Pace Back.

4. SS: Shawn Williams UGA - Very solid looking SS candidate. A real ball hawk!

5. DT: Jordan Hill, Penn State - Devon Still's replacement in 2012 looks to be as good as Still

6A. TE, Michael Williams, Alabama - Big blocking TE

6B. OT, Alex Hurst, LSU - I don't know. Could he be better than Roland?
I like it, and would be intrigued with allowing Sanu to play the slot.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-05-2012, 03:38 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
He doesn't have to stretch the field. He's a chain mover and a red zone threat. Never underestimate the value of a guy like that.
I'm not underestimating Sanu's value at all,i don't think nobody ever has/was. But having another top notch WR on the outside just makes our offense even better. Not to mention Binns and Tate are nothing to brag about and should be replaced.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 10,061
Rep Points: 22833
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
I'm not underestimating Sanu's value at all,i don't think nobody ever has/was. But having another top notch WR on the outside just makes our offense even better. Not to mention Binns and Tate are nothing to brag about and should be replaced.
We have Marvin Jones. I think we have to give him his shot. But if he doesn't pan out by the end of the season (i.e., demonstrate real talent via performance on the field), we have to find a better option for the outside.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-05-2012, 04:30 PM
stknux stknux is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 63
Rep Points: 61
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
We have Marvin Jones. I think we have to give him his shot. But if he doesn't pan out by the end of the season (i.e., demonstrate real talent via performance on the field), we have to find a better option for the outside.
Yeah, we would need to wait until all the games are finished before we can make a judgment on his potential.
However, if we're creating mock drafts using current information, taking a WR2 in the 2nd round is a legitimate option.
I don't think we should continue to stack late-round talent there, especially if we can fill most of our needs via draft even with a 2nd round receiver.
It's all personal opinion though, and there are a lot of good mocks that don't go that route.

Last edited by stknux; 12-05-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Synric's Avatar
Synric Synric is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 2,914
Rep Points: 3786
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Sanu is the #2 WR.

This means he is the second WR on the field after AJ Green. He can line up EVERYWHERE just like AJ Green he is versatile. People are getting stuck on position names(XYZ).

Examples: X - Sanu, Z - Green
X - Sanu, Y - Hawkins, Z - Green
X - Jones, Y - Sanu, Z - Green
X - Sanu, Y - Green, Z - Jones
and so on....

Sanu's best attribute is that he's able to box out corners and make tough catches. No your not going to see him run the 9, but he is very good at making catches between 10 and 20 yards those are what we like to call "first downs".
__________________
Why do Steelers fans keep their season tickets on their dashboards? So they can park in handicap spaces.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 10,061
Rep Points: 22833
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
Sanu is the #2 WR.

This means he is the second WR on the field after AJ Green. He can line up EVERYWHERE just like AJ Green he is versatile. People are getting stuck on position names(XYZ).

Examples: X - Sanu, Z - Green
X - Sanu, Y - Hawkins, Z - Green
X - Jones, Y - Sanu, Z - Green
X - Sanu, Y - Green, Z - Jones
and so on....

Sanu's best attribute is that he's able to box out corners and make tough catches. No your not going to see him run the 9, but he is very good at making catches between 10 and 20 yards those are what we like to call "first downs".
Good points, but unless Marvin Jones really turns it on, we have no one to play on the other side of AJ who can really be a deep threat.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 AM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Shady's 2d Mock - Minor Changes thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Good points, but unless Marvin Jones really turns it on, we have no one to play on the other side of AJ who can really be a deep threat.

Which is why it is smart to draft one this year and be ahead of things.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.