Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:07 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 767
Default Andre Smith rated no.1 right tackle

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5099/andre-smith

Bengals running backs are averaging 5.5 yards per carry behind RT Andre Smith.
Look no further than Smith for BenJarvus Green-Ellis' three-game renaissance as a top-three fantasy back. Pro Football Focus rates Smith as the best right tackle in football at the three-quarter season mark. The No. 6 overall pick in the 2009 draft has turned his career around in a contract year. Among impending free agents, Rotoworld's Nick Mensio ranks Smith behind only Broncos LT Ryan Clady.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:09 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10579
Default Re: Andre Smith rated no.1 right tackle

We should have signed him last off season like I suggested

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 12-06-2012, 04:43 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 669

Hes still super young, and he better play the rest of the season like this.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23633
bengals Re: Andre Smith rated no.1 right tackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
Given his history it was a dicey situation at best. Fact. He will be re-signed along with MJ. Contrary to popular belief on these boards this franchise has a good history of paying performance and rewarding core players with good extensions.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5179

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Given his history it was a dicey situation at best. Fact. He will be re-signed along with MJ. Contrary to popular belief on these boards this franchise has a good history of paying performance and rewarding core players with good extensions.
I seriously wonder though if MJ warrants the money he will want. I still think we should let MJ walk go DE in the 1st round in order to conserve money for huys like Geno, AJ, Dalton, Gresham.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5665

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyviper13 View Post
Hes still super young, and he better play the rest of the season like this.
Funny how an impending pay check can motivate a guy like nothing else.

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliJack View Post
Funny how an impending pay check can motivate a guy like nothing else.
He was coming on strong last year too.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
We could still tag him. It would be 9.7 mil. But best to sign him to a longer deal IMO.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10620

Well it's a good thing we saved all that money in free agency. Although I have yet to hear any extension talk......
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7789

I'm not surprised. Andre Smith was the most talented of any offensive lineman in that draft, he just had character concerns. In fact of the 32 players taken in round one he's one of the best. I'd rank only Stafford, Orakpo, Matthews, and Harvin ahead of him. Maybe Cushing, Josh Freeman, and Hakeem Nicks maybe.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Bryan; 12-06-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 56

I'm glad he has finally met his potential. That first year scared me but he is turned into a great Lineman.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 178

Pay the man. If we keep this line together idk, lets say 6 years we have a darn good chance to be contenders those six years.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunz View Post
Pay the man. If we keep this line together idk, lets say 6 years we have a darn good chance to be contenders those six years.
I think we will need to replace Whit before that.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3154

Quote:
Not sure if Smith and MJ will re-sign, but they will be given good offers from the Bengals. People forget that we did provide a great offer to Joseph. He just preferred to join a team which he felt was better suited to make a run at a super bowl, and also little things like complimentary soap and Gatorade. Carson, Chad, Hall, and others were all given good extensions in the past.

If Smith and/or MJ choose to leave via FA, it most likely will not be because of the salary offer.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 357

Quote:
A few notable exceptions: Justin Smith, Eric Steinbach, TJ Housmanzadeh, Jonanthan Joseph. All wanted top end pay for top end performance. We've got 3-4 situations looming this year and I'm readying myself for the same old swan song:

- Gresham - will warrant Gronkowski type money
- Atkins - will warrant Ngata type money
- Smith -

All 3 should have been re-upped by now.

I'll bet we cry the blues and let one "slip through our hands". Why even bother drafting these guys #1 if you are not going to pay them at payday (Year 3 or 4)? Only team I know that lets such talent go because of money quibbles.

Next year it will be Green and Dalton. I'll even bet they start playing that tune a year early.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by degolfisfun View Post
A few notable exceptions: Justin Smith, Eric Steinbach, TJ Housmanzadeh, Jonanthan Joseph. All wanted top end pay for top end performance. We've got 3-4 situations looming this year and I'm readying myself for the same old swan song:

- Gresham - will warrant Gronkowski type money
- Atkins - will warrant Ngata type money
- Smith -

All 3 should have been re-upped by now.

I'll bet we cry the blues and let one "slip through our hands". Why even bother drafting these guys #1 if you are not going to pay them at payday (Year 3 or 4)? Only team I know that lets such talent go because of money quibbles.

Next year it will be Green and Dalton. I'll even bet they start playing that tune a year early.
You seem to be the one with the swan song. There are minimums that must be spent going forward. We will have to pay these guys as there is no more pocketing the rest of the cap. Get over it and realize the organization is doing the right things.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 40256

Andre sure has silenced the "I wanted Michael Oher" crowd.

WTS, I've always been a huge Andre supporter; however, I would not be surprised at all to see him walk. I think there is still some bad blood about the way his rookie contract went down. Seems I vaguely remember someone (Andre/Agent) saying that wouldn't happen again.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
I seriously wonder though if MJ warrants the money he will want. I still think we should let MJ walk go DE in the 1st round in order to conserve money for huys like Geno, AJ, Dalton, Gresham.
we dont know how much he will want... He might want to stay on this Dline
Old 12-06-2012, 10:19 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13584

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5099/andre-smith

Bengals running backs are averaging 5.5 yards per carry behind RT Andre Smith.
Look no further than Smith for BenJarvus Green-Ellis' three-game renaissance as a top-three fantasy back. Pro Football Focus rates Smith as the best right tackle in football at the three-quarter season mark. The No. 6 overall pick in the 2009 draft has turned his career around in a contract year. Among impending free agents, Rotoworld's Nick Mensio ranks Smith behind only Broncos LT Ryan Clady.
Funny, I just read an article on Fox explaining that he is overpaid. My guess is that they have not watched any of his games.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
we dont know how much he will want... He might want to stay on this Dline
If he was smart he would stay here and take a slightly lower contract. Point being that his production may drop off if he leaves this line and considering most his money won't be guaranteed he will actually lose out. See almost every d lineman that leaves a team after a good season for a reason to stay.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Andre sure has silenced the "I wanted Michael Oher" crowd.

WTS, I've always been a huge Andre supporter; however, I would not be surprised at all to see him walk. I think there is still some bad blood about the way his rookie contract went down. Seems I vaguely remember someone (Andre/Agent) saying that wouldn't happen again.
Yeah, I don't think Andre is the same kid he was 4 years ago. He was immature to say the least. Seems like he's finally settling into his potential as a franchise tackle.

I hope we re-sign him, because the way he's playing, we won't replace him. I see him being Whits replacement at LT eventually.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3118

But I believe everyone on this board cut Andre after his first 2 seasons because he was a bust. This is why we can be patient with guys like Dontay Moch, theres no point to cut them now, theres a huge upside to guys when they are healthy and when you know they are good. Also they are still cheap and affordable when they are in their rookie contracts.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:36 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22088

Andre Smith is a monster. The dude needs to be re-signed.....right now.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 926

As the National Football League is the icon of free enterprise and liberty, I would strongly suggest to Andre Smith, "rated no.1 right tackle", to seek free agency after the 28 days that he is still under contract to the Cincinnati Bengals.

The decision to seek free agency would of course bring the cry to franchise Mr. Smith to an exorbitant salary for 2013. But that is the decision that the management took when the passed on the option to extend the contract in 2011.

The vacillation that occurred in the expiration of the option extension brings many factors to bear. First, the rather disappointing start to Mr. Smith's career in Cincinnati. The hesistation that caused the option expiration reflected the wait and see attitude of the management of the Cincinnati Bengals.

The proof of Mr. Smith's worth is reflected in run yardage accumlated by running back Green-Ellis and the passing yardage of quarterback Dalton. Both have been at a rate that has exceeded previous year's totals.

Again, I would strongly suggest to Amdre Smith, "rated no.1 right tackle" to seek free agency.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
As the National Football League is the icon of free enterprise and liberty, I would strongly suggest to Andre Smith, "rated no.1 right tackle", to seek free agency after the 28 days that he is still under contract to the Cincinnati Bengals.

The decision to seek free agency would of course bring the cry to franchise Mr. Smith to an exorbitant salary for 2013. But that is the decision that the management took when the passed on the option to extend the contract in 2011.

The vacillation that occurred in the expiration of the option extension brings many factors to bear. First, the rather disappointing start to Mr. Smith's career in Cincinnati. The hesistation that caused the option expiration reflected the wait and see attitude of the management of the Cincinnati Bengals.

The proof of Mr. Smith's worth is reflected in run yardage accumlated by running back Green-Ellis and the passing yardage of quarterback Dalton. Both have been at a rate that has exceeded previous year's totals.

Again, I would strongly suggest to Amdre Smith, "rated no.1 right tackle" to seek free agency.
Keep telling us about how we are going 6-10......