Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7930
Default Re: BJGE versus the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post

The O-line was young and was trying to gain chemistry and Green Ellis struggled.

The O-line is now more experienced and gaining chemistry and Green Ellis has thrived.

Big surprise.

We need to draft atleast 1 back in the next draft. You give an explosive back those same
holes and you get crazy stats, much better than what BJGE has had.
I would like to see the team grab a fast back in the draft. Barner or Franklin would make me happy.
BJGE's experience, durability,pass catching, and blocking abilities are all assets for him and the team. It's easy enough to draft a highly touted speedy rb but getting them on the field without getting a teams qb killed can be a tricky thing.
See... R.Hillman,D.Wilson,LaMichael James
Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20829

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
I'm going by a stat I heard from someone I trust, so I'm going to stand by that those tackle attempts were probably half hearted and don't fit into the broken tackle category. I haven't seen the runs in a little while though so I'll check. The OL has been his dynamite though, however it's impossible to ignore the fact his cutbacks have improved since the bye week tremendously.
I don't know how they define broken tackle, but BJGE has a pretty good stiff arm that he used to ward off would-be-tacklers. I'm a little fuzzy on the KC game, but he shed a tackle attempt by a safety in San Diego.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20829

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
I would like to see the team grab a fast back in the draft. Barner or Franklin would make me happy.
BJGE's experience, durability,pass catching, and blocking abilities are all assets for him and the team. It's easy enough to draft a highly touted speedy rb but getting them on the field without getting a teams qb killed can be a tricky thing.
Agreed. We're getting a little thin at RB. Maybe Boom will surprise us, and we can hope for Peerman to get back in time for Philly or at least Pittsburgh.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Except he did very little to help us win in all but 3 games. Sometimes the numbers do lie...

In our loss to Miami he had 14 yards rushing.
Cleveland Loss he had 62 yards.
Pittsburgh Loss he had 69 yards.
Denver Loss he had 56 yards.
NYG he had 50 yards.
Washington he had 38 yards.

That's 6 pretty bad rushing days.
Ray Rice

49 yds against Cleveland
63 yds against Dallas
42 yards against Houston
35 against Oakland
40 against Pitt

Once again not saying he is better than Ray Rice, but as a runner he is very comparable this year.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 644

I am surprised at all the knocks on BJGE. He ran for over 100 yards against one of the best rush defenses in the NFL (SD). I was at the game and I can tell you he has a huge passion for the game, He was hyping everyone up on the sideline and getting the team ready to play. He runs hard and he always goes forward not backwards. He broke those long runs because the wide receivers started blocking. Not one running back can gain a long run without blocking. Just look at what san diego did against us in the running game, matthews is not slow but they simply didnt have the line to hold up in the run game. BJGE is running better because of blocking the line is finally playing together and making holes. He doesnt break alot of tackles because he doesnt have to the hole is there and he hits it. I am again appauled at all the haters in here.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16313

Quote:
On his 3 longest runs, BJGE has not broken a single tackle
Hmm, would the Lynch stiff arm this past Sunday count as a BT?

Not sure...

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-06-2012, 01:09 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Hmm, would the Lynch stiff arm this past Sunday count as a BT?

Not sure...
I would say a stiff arm, 99% of the time, is a BT.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25495
bengals Re: BJGE versus the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post

Yeah, that is the thing, gotta get a burner that can also pass block.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21112

GE is still one of the worst starting RB's in the NFL. He is solid in short yardage, and has only really showed up in the past few games due to the defenses being bad against the run, and the o-line coming into a zone. In fact, you could attribute that to Zeitler, as the Bengals have run best to the right, with their best being in the middle and RT. The o-line is very good at run blocking, with the weakness being rushing to the left, so any failure should be attributed to the back or running to the left.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2012

Charles, Green, and McCoy are the only 3 backs that have fumbled more than GE this season. Plus for all the talk of his receiving prowess, we have yet to see that since he's donned the stripes with barely over 3 yards per catch.

This is not to say the GE should be handed walking papers next season. In fact, I have said from the start that next season he will likely take over the role currently held by Leonard, due to his superior power inside and Leonard being fragile. Hopefully they search out a better 3 down back in the draft, because if they have to depend on GE in 2013, it'll be a long, long season.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2026

I dont think the current RB situation is what we need going forward, but in an actual committee RB system BJGE is a great piece to have imo. We just need a guy above him, and along with Peerman I think our running game could be good.

No doubt though he's vastly improved the last 3 games. Whether the O-line have been better or whatever, fact is the run game has improved and it's likely due to both the line and Green-Ellis. Run game is getting the job done right now, I hope they can carry it on just fine without Peerman.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

The O line has gelled and is doing great, as a result of that BJGE has acceptable numbers.

That doesn't mean we do not need an explosive RB.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16844

Quote:
On his 3 longest runs, BJGE has not broken a single tackle
Means the O line took care of business. So was there a complaint there?

Or what side do you want the bread buttered on?

I think one thing we have lost sight of is he was hurt in pre-season and didn;t play so he is just now (or weeks ago) getting up to where he should have been the first couple weeks of the season.

Nice to know when he has been busting off those runs you guys have been yelling at the TV we need a better back

Last edited by Slappy from New Haven; 12-06-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16844

Quote:
I would say a stiff arm, 99% of the time, is a BT.
Yep, he broke away from the guy trying to tackle him
Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1715

The thing about lawfirm he doesnt do anything great. but he does alot of things pretty good. Hes like a running back version of housh. when the game is on the line and you need a play hes usually their to deliver most of the time. If we wind up meeting the pats in the post season his knowledge of the intricicies of their offense is extremely valuable as well.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
GE is still one of the worst starting RB's in the NFL. He is solid in short yardage, and has only really showed up in the past few games due to the defenses being bad against the run, and the o-line coming into a zone. In fact, you could attribute that to Zeitler, as the Bengals have run best to the right, with their best being in the middle and RT. The o-line is very good at run blocking, with the weakness being rushing to the left, so any failure should be attributed to the back or running to the left.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2012

Charles, Green, and McCoy are the only 3 backs that have fumbled more than GE this season. Plus for all the talk of his receiving prowess, we have yet to see that since he's donned the stripes with barely over 3 yards per catch.

This is not to say the GE should be handed walking papers next season. In fact, I have said from the start that next season he will likely take over the role currently held by Leonard, due to his superior power inside and Leonard being fragile. Hopefully they search out a better 3 down back in the draft, because if they have to depend on GE in 2013, it'll be a long, long season.

I agree with all of this and i am a big Leonard fan.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy757 View Post
I am surprised at all the knocks on BJGE. He ran for over 100 yards against one of the best rush defenses in the NFL (SD). I was at the game and I can tell you he has a huge passion for the game, He was hyping everyone up on the sideline and getting the team ready to play. He runs hard and he always goes forward not backwards. He broke those long runs because the wide receivers started blocking. Not one running back can gain a long run without blocking. Just look at what san diego did against us in the running game, matthews is not slow but they simply didnt have the line to hold up in the run game. BJGE is running better because of blocking the line is finally playing together and making holes. He doesnt break alot of tackles because he doesnt have to the hole is there and he hits it. I am again appauled at all the haters in here.

I wasn't hating if you thought i was. I like BJGE but he is not a Franchise RB in any way
and can be upgraded by a true Franchise back. Also i would like to keep BJGE and use
him the way we use Leonard for the future.

I was just giving the O-line credit and yeah the receivers have been blocking really well
lately as well.