Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 12-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082
Default Re: Burma's mock vs 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
You're partly right.

Howard is the epitome of mediocre.

But Burfict has NOT played better than him.

Not even close.

And enough about this "replace Whalen," nonsense.

Guy is here to stay.
Sorry Truck, but 10 career catches for 74 yards over 2 seasons is the epitome of replaceable.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
Replies in bold

There is massive room for improvement on the back end. Lets look at the guys that could be replaced easily and provide an upgrade in the process.
Offense: (5)
Tate, Binns, Quinn, Whalen, and Roland
Defense: (11)
Gillberry, Geathers, Vincent Rey, Lamur, Allen, Ghee, Prater, Clements, Crockerm, Mays, and Miles.

Thatís 16 players right there that we could replace easily. So right there we have more than 25% of the roster who is not playing well or is not irreplaceable.

As to the 5th and 6th round DE. That 5th round DE, Edwards, has outperformed his much hyped team mate Barkevious Mingo for most of the season from a back up role. He would be a starter on any other team in the nation. The 6th round pick is a gamble, but what isnít, He would back up MJ. MJ takes 80%+ of the snaps so if this kid who has great athletic ability can offer 5 or 6 quality snaps a game then we have won that pick. Why re-sign Gillberry and Geathers when both of them can be more cheaply replaced by players with as much if not more potential. We are going to need all the cash we can get to extend Andre and MJ.

You have to go where the talent is. Trust me, I would love to load up on Michigan guys and roll to the Superbowl, but the Big Ten and every other conference right now canít hold a candle to the sheer amount of talent pouring from the SEC right now.

If your 5th round DE has outperformed Mingo, then by the time the draft gets here, he won't be a 5th round pick anymore.

Why re-sign Geathers and Gilberry? Because you don't go into a season with a 5th rounder and a 6th rounder being 1 play away from having to carry a bulk of the load. Where are these "players with more potential" going to be found? 5th round? 6th round? Please.

IF we ended up drafting 12 guys, I would bet my house that 6 of them wouldn't make the team.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3374

Quote:
Sorry Truck, but 10 career catches for 74 yards over 2 seasons is the epitome of replaceable.
Lol

Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17149

Quote:
Never said he has produced enough, said he's here to stay.

He's going nowhere.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-06-2012, 02:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftdruggie View Post
To say Burfict hasnt played better than Howard must be some kind of bad rainy evening joke.lol. The guy has been nothing short of solid learning a new system and playing another positon to boot. That comment just holds no water at all. One poster mentioned splash plays I'd rather a solid player with splash play potential because you rarely get both out of the box. The risk going in was that he was a coach killer a walking 15 yard penalty just waiting to happen. Everyone wrote this guy off and its been one of Marvins quiet success stories this year. Now we need to find his running mates to make our core sick.
Howard missed 4 tackles in over 1000 snaps last year.

Burfict has 4 in 600 snaps. That number will almost assuredly, go up.

In 74 pass rushes, he had 6 total pressures.

Burfict has 3 in 58. Worse.

And then if you want to bring coverage into it, Burfict has been our worst player in coverage this year after Rey and Lawson, while Howard was our BEST player in coverage last year.

Rookie, learning, etc. is irrelevant when looking at performance.

Has he performed well under the circumstances? Sure. Has he performed well period? No.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-06-2012, 02:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3374

Quote:

He's going nowhere.
Wait. Those numbers don't correlate?

Old 12-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
If your 5th round DE has outperformed Mingo, then by the time the draft gets here, he won't be a 5th round pick anymore.

Why re-sign Geathers and Gilberry? Because you don't go into a season with a 5th rounder and a 6th rounder being 1 play away from having to carry a bulk of the load. Where are these "players with more potential" going to be found? 5th round? 6th round? Please.

IF we ended up drafting 12 guys, I would bet my house that 6 of them wouldn't make the team.
With a good combine he may well shoot into the 3rd. But for the purposes of this draft I used the rankings that he currently has.

Why not go with a 5th rounder and a 6th rounder? Gilberry is an undrafted free agent and he's 1 snap from being called upon full time. The difference here would only be in pay and potential. And yes they do have more potential at this point than a guy who wasn't even drafted and a 9th year vet who is a career back up.

As to who makes the team, it depends on the drafted players of course. With the draft presented here you would be homeless. The first 9 picks would either be potentially starting or the first guy off the bench at their positions.

Quote:

He's going nowhere.
You have an odd confidence in our 4th/5th receiver.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Last edited by Burma; 12-06-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:32 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6419

Quote:
With a good combine he may well shoot into the 3rd. But for the purposes of this draft I used the rankings that he currently has.

Why not go with a 5th rounder and a 6th rounder? Gilberry is an undrafted free agent and he's 1 snap from being called upon full time. The difference here would only be in pay and potential. And yes they do have more potential at this point than a guy who wasn't even drafted and a 9th year vet who is a career back up.

As to who makes the team, it depends on the drafted players of course. With the draft presented here you would be homeless. The first 9 picks would either be potentially starting or the first guy off the bench at their positions.
You are being awfully optimistic. Let me know the last time a team has had 9 guys either starting or seeing a fair amount of playing time.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
You are being awfully optimistic. Let me know the last time a team has had 9 guys either starting or seeing a fair amount of playing time.
I am, its my ideal draft of course. No dead weight here. We, for better or worse, we have been using 5 to 6 players from our recent drafts on a regular basis. The closest we have had to 12 picks was the 2009 draft with 11. 7 were either starters or back up. I am a bit more optimistic for my draft as we would would have more higher picks than in that draft.

Last edited by Burma; 12-06-2012 at 03:46 PM.