Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668
Default Re: Andre Smith rated no.1 right tackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Given his history it was a dicey situation at best. Fact. He will be re-signed along with MJ. Contrary to popular belief on these boards this franchise has a good history of paying performance and rewarding core players with good extensions.
Well...we have a good history of extending players...the problem is we haven't drafted a bunch of guys worth extending like we have now.

We are really in unchartered waters.

When they hit free agency, you end up in a bidding war with other teams. That's where our history is mixed.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

In this thread everyone loves PFF, lol.

Good for big Dre, hope he is still a Bengal next year.

The offense will be fine with or without him though.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 155

You can't keep everyone but I'm betting Smith, Geno, A.J. and Dalton all get new deals this offseason, though I wouldn't be surprised if Smith is franchised at first to allow more time to work on a longer term deal.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
we dont know how much he will want... He might want to stay on this Dline
What worries me is that guys like Kendall Langford got huge contracts and his stats are nowhere near MJ's.

He could be looking at $7-8-9 million a year from some team desperate for a pass rusher.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1268
Default is Andre Smith an Over-paid Bust??

according to Fox Sports article the answer is Yes... I think he has turned things around. Yes his first 2 yrs were bad, but he has improved

Andre Smith

After holding out for a massive deal in his rookie season, Smith has never lived up to his first-round billing. The University of Alabama product was supposed to anchor the Bengals' offensive line and protect the blindside of their QB, but has flirted with being classified as a “bust.” The tackle has improved lately, but not to the tune of $7.5 million.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery...photo=31434800
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7612
Default Re: is Andre Smith an Over-paid Bust??

our HB are running 5.5 YPC behind him

pay the man

WINNING MAKES BELIEVERS OF US ALL PAUL BROWN
Marvin for GM 2013
Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6314

I am not sure how much of that 5.5 is Andre and how much is Zeitler. It's something that is admittedly hard to properly tell.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 273

I don't think he is a bust. Maybe he is not worth all the money, but consider him a bust its a little bit exagerated
Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 AM
VIP Gold Member

just something I read this morning

Quote:
Andre Smith - T - Bengals

Bengals running backs are averaging 5.5 yards per carry behind RT Andre Smith.
Look no further than Smith for BenJarvus Green-Ellis' three-game renaissance as a top-three fantasy back. Pro Football Focus rates Smith as the best right tackle in football at the three-quarter season mark. The No. 6 overall pick in the 2009 draft has turned his career around in a contract year. Among impending free agents, Rotoworld's Nick Mensio ranks Smith behind only Broncos LT Ryan Clady.

Marvin for GM 2013
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 65

Pay him.

Last edited by ying11; 12-06-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ying11 View Post
Obviously that person hasn't watched a single game this year. He was a bust up until last year and has turned it around and become a top 10 RT in this league. Pay him.
alot had to do with him being out of shape and a foot injury

Marvin for GM 2013
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10367

Quote:
Originally Posted by degolfisfun View Post
A few notable exceptions: Justin Smith, Eric Steinbach, TJ Housmanzadeh, Jonanthan Joseph. All wanted top end pay for top end performance. We've got 3-4 situations looming this year and I'm readying myself for the same old swan song:

- Gresham - will warrant Gronkowski type money
- Atkins - will warrant Ngata type money
- Smith -

All 3 should have been re-upped by now.

I'll bet we cry the blues and let one "slip through our hands". Why even bother drafting these guys #1 if you are not going to pay them at payday (Year 3 or 4)? Only team I know that lets such talent go because of money quibbles.

Next year it will be Green and Dalton. I'll even bet they start playing that tune a year early.
If we do I hope it is Gresham...... I he is way too hot and cold for me.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
I seriously wonder though if MJ warrants the money he will want. I still think we should let MJ walk go DE in the 1st round in order to conserve money for huys like Geno, AJ, Dalton, Gresham.
What you spend this year shouldn't affect what you do in the future. Somebody needs to sign an extension in December and use all of the remaining cap money THIS year. That would lower the cap number for that extension.

Signing both shouldn't be an issue. Look at Clements, Geathers and Allen's contracts. You could sign both of them for that money.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2514

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5099/andre-smith

Look no further than Smith for BenJarvus Green-Ellis' three-game renaissance as a top-three fantasy back. Pro Football Focus rates Smith as the best right tackle in football at the three-quarter season mark. The No. 6 overall pick in the 2009 draft has turned his career around in a contract year. Among impending free agents, Rotoworld's Nick Mensio ranks Smith behind only Broncos LT Ryan Clady.

With every good tackle there is a good guard, with every good guard there is a tackle.

Zeitler and Dre could be pretty formidable in the future. I was never the biggest Bobbie Fan but I think we are seeing the improvement Zeitler has brought to the position
Old 12-06-2012, 01:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
I am not sure how much of that 5.5 is Andre and how much is Zeitler. It's something that is admittedly hard to properly tell.
It is VERY easy to tell.

And 3.5 a carry behind Zeitler.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 357

Quote:
Keep telling us about how we are going 6-10......
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It is America. Mine however, based on history, is that Mike Brown coughs when he has to pay top dollar for top talent. His record is that he pays mid dollar for mid level talent.That is why Justin Smith, TJ, and Jonanthan Joseph - all all pros - are no longer here. Hopefully the new salary cap rules will allow MB to change his tune.

We're not going to resolve this here. Time will tell if MB pays Gresham top dollar, Smith top dollar, and Atkins top dollar. You are saying he will; I'm saying he won't. OK, we disagree and time will tell.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:12 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flevans View Post
You can't keep everyone but I'm betting Smith, Geno, A.J. and Dalton all get new deals this offseason, though I wouldn't be surprised if Smith is franchised at first to allow more time to work on a longer term deal.
You cannot extend players until their 3rd year.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4782

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It is America. Mine however, based on history, is that Mike Brown coughs when he has to pay top dollar for top talent. His record is that he pays mid dollar for mid level talent.That is why Justin Smith, TJ, and Jonanthan Joseph - all all pros - are no longer here. Hopefully the new salary cap rules will allow MB to change his tune.

We're not going to resolve this here. Time will tell if MB pays Gresham top dollar, Smith top dollar, and Atkins top dollar. You are saying he will; I'm saying he won't. OK, we disagree and time will tell.
Actually that guys shtick about being some sort of robot rich guy or something just got old and annoying. He was saying that Matt Barkley is a far better QB that Dalton and that the Bengals would lose every week. It is more his act that is just annoying that I disagree with than him..

Last edited by Au165; 12-06-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30039

Quote:

We should only have to pay Geno top dollar the others havent been consistant enough to EARN top dollar in this league.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-06-2012, 02:25 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1791

Quote:
I think we will need to replace Whit before that.
I totally agree; I think Whit is awesome and a great team leader! But he is aging, I say we take a LT in the draft this year maybe with our 2nd 2nd-round draft pick or 3rd rounder. Have him sit for a year a learn from Whit. With all the newbies on the interior of the line this year we are now ranked as a top 10 offensive line. Not to shabby.

I was told that practicing makes perfect, then I was told that no one is perfect, so I stopped practicing - Stephen Wright
Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnglFn Forever View Post
I totally agree; I think Whit is awesome and a great team leader! But he is aging, I say we take a LT in the draft this year maybe with our 2nd 2nd-round draft pick or 3rd rounder. Have him sit for a year a learn from Whit. With all the newbies on the interior of the line this year we are now ranked as a top 10 offensive line. Not to shabby.
I don't think we will need to replace him that fast. I am thinking more 3 or 4 years from now.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16307

Quote:
You draft a franchise LT if he gets a serious injury or if they're BPA or if Whitworth is 33 and his contract is up soon.

By that logic, we should've drafted Willie's replacement in 2004

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1351

MB puts himself in te corner forall contract negotiations. He waits and waits and ten tries to low ball the players thus pi44ing them off and making them want to go elsewhere. It will happen this time too.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 26094

Quote:
When Andrew Whitworth has to step down, I suggest moving Andre Smith to left tackle which is his natural position where he played at Alabama. Then the Bengals can draft a new right tackle.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25495
bengals Re: Andre Smith rated no.1 right tackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5099/andre-smith

I hope we have enough money to re-sign all of these guys but Geno and Andre are musts.