Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 559
Default Another reason why Tebow must stay in the NFL

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...itter/1750177/

i just can't understand why the whole Jets locker room can talk crap about this guy. No wonder they are spiraling downhill this season. A lot of cancer in that locker room but that won't stop Tim from what he does best! I really hope he goes to a team that wants him next year. Feel bad for this guy.

I had a thread from last year with all his other good deeds to the community but it's gone. So starting a new one.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3113
Default Re: Another reason why Tebow must stay in the NFL

awesome story ! GOD is awesome ! Tebow deserves a chance to start somewhere
Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademark View Post
lol
Old 12-06-2012, 10:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3113

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
lol
what's so funny ? Look what he did in Denver
Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29324

Quote:
...or coach somewhere. God is indeed awesome and you know what else is awesome? When Tim Tebow sees himself as a child of the Most High and makes himself available when the Holy Spirit calls him, that is truly awesome. When Tim Tebow makes himself available to someone who is in a hurting condition it's incredible, really, because often those who are in anguish respond to someone of notoriety who will take the time just to be sympathetic and to pray.

Although Tim Tebow isn't a Bengal I root for him and, believe it or not, it's not due to his faith -- although that's great too. After all, Andy Dalton is also a man of faith who even went to Texas Christian unlike Tebow who went to the heathen University of Florida. I am a Tebow fan because he endures the harshest criticism people can dish out and he still smiles and praises God. If we were all that pure of heart the world would be a better place -- and so would the NFL.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36244

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballBender View Post

i just can't understand why the whole Jets locker room can talk crap about this guy. No wonder they are spiraling downhill this season. A lot of cancer in that locker room but that won't stop Tim from what he does best! I really hope he goes to a team that wants him next year. Feel bad for this guy.

I had a thread from last year with all his other good deeds to the community but it's gone. So starting a new one.
Teams want a QB that can stand in the pocket and throw a ball with accuracy Tim could be a running back if he was smart enough to switch.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33539

Tebow is easily my favorite non-Bengal. I've always loved openly Christian players (Kitna, Warner etc) and Tebow is just a genuinely good person. Plus he beat the Steelers in the playoffs and that gets him bonus points.

I'm not really sure if Tebow is worthy of a starting gig in the NFL (maybe with AZ or his current team), but he's certainly good enough to be a #2 somewhere. If ESPN trucks weren't following him everywhere, I'd take him over Gradkowski anyday.

He's also better than guys like Skelton or Leftwich (or Sanchez for that matter). Heck I would probably take him over the vast majority of NFL backups. His passing skills aren't starting caliber, but he's a great runner and leader. Unfortunately, I think he'll be forced out of the league soon, because no one will want all the added attention for a backup. It's sad really.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29324

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Teams want a QB that can stand in the pocket and throw a ball with accuracy Tim could be a running back if he was smart enough to switch.
In five years you'll be able to count pure pocket passers on one hand. The NFL is moving to larger and more physical quarterbacks who can make plays with their legs, not just with their arm.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
In five years you'll be able to count pure pocket passers on one hand. The NFL is moving to larger and more physical quarterbacks who can make plays with their legs, not just with their arm.
I disagree because, while that is good, quarterbacks still need to be able to throw and it's so hard to find the quarterback that can run and throw, especially as defenders get more and more athletic.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4425

Quote:
This may be true, but they'll still need to be able to throw the ball accurately, and Tebow doesn't.

Good guy. Great athlete. Not-so-good NFL QB.

Last edited by CKWI88; 12-07-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKWI88 View Post
This may be true, but they'll still need to be able to throw the ball accurately, and Tebow doesn't.

Good guy. Great athlete. Not-so-good NFL QB.
Not good enough to be a backup?

If you don't think so, I would love to know what you think makes Tebow worse than Skelton, Leftwich, Gradkowski, etc. Just as a pure passer, Tebow is not any worse than any of those guys. Plus he's one of the better running QBs in the game.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Not good enough to be a backup?

If you don't think so, I would love to know what you think makes Tebow worse than Skelton, Leftwich, Gradkowski, etc. Just as a pure passer, Tebow is not any worse than any of those guys. Plus he's one of the better running QBs in the game.
Y'know, I had edited my post to clarify "starting," but I changed it back and here is why I think that Tebow isn't a decent backup either. Tebow requires an offense that is tailor-made to suit him. Option plays and the like, a few other things I'm sure about that I simply don't have the football mind to understand. He is a unique player, he requires a unique offense to be effective. The backup QB simply cannot demand that much attention when it comes to organizing your offense.

Take a look at Matt Schaub's time backing up Mike Vick. It was horrid. Now take a look at 'em in Houston. Big difference. The backup QB has to be a la Charlie Batch. Give 'em the keys, tell 'em not to f* it up big time, hope for the best. You can't force yourself to change your entire philosophy according to a QB2.

I think that Tebow would be well-suited changing to TE, or even WR (could you imagine the possibilities with reverses and WR throws?) It would make a defense respect his playmaking ability (we all know he has it!) while still respecting an NFL quality arm. Scary thought.

As for your list of backups. Of the 4 (Skelton, Bruce, Leftwich, Tebow) only one of 'em sports a completion percentage of under 50%. His initials are T.T. Even though (in comparison) Tebow's rating is less bad, that speaks volumes about his accuracy as a 'pure passer.'
Old 12-07-2012, 02:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKWI88 View Post
Y'know, I had edited my post to clarify "starting," but I changed it back and here is why I think that Tebow isn't a decent backup either. Tebow requires an offense that is tailor-made to suit him. Option plays and the like, a few other things I'm sure about that I simply don't have the football mind to understand. He is a unique player, he requires a unique offense to be effective. The backup QB simply cannot demand that much attention when it comes to organizing your offense.

Take a look at Matt Schaub's time backing up Mike Vick. It was horrid. Now take a look at 'em in Houston. Big difference. The backup QB has to be a la Charlie Batch. Give 'em the keys, tell 'em not to f* it up big time, hope for the best. You can't force yourself to change your entire philosophy according to a QB2.

I think that Tebow would be well-suited changing to TE, or even WR (could you imagine the possibilities with reverses and WR throws?) It would make a defense respect his playmaking ability (we all know he has it!) while still respecting an NFL quality arm. Scary thought.

As for your list of backups. Of the 4 (Skelton, Bruce, Leftwich, Tebow) only one of 'em sports a completion percentage of under 50%. His initials are T.T. Even though (in comparison) Tebow's rating is less bad, that speaks volumes about his accuracy as a 'pure passer.'
The only time Tebow played in a special offense supposedly designed for his skills was 2011 under Jon Fox. With Josh McDaniels in Denver, as well as the Jets this year, Tebow played in a normal offense and put up these numbers:

47-89 (52.8%) for 693 yards with 5 tds, 3 ints and an 83.2 passer rating. He also won AFC offensive player of the week honors for his comeback win against the Texans in which he threw for 308 yards.

So I disagree that he needs a seperate offense. He's actually better in a normal offense. Not that he's been given much of a chance in one. Next year, after the Jets release him and he's picked up by a new team, Tebow will be on his 3rd team, 4th head coach, and 5th offensive system in only his 4th season.

Basically, the kid never had a genuine chance once Josh McDaniels was fired. Young QB's need continuity and that's something he's never had. That said, I think it's obvious he could make a fine backup in any normal system. The passing numbers are solid and he's an excellent runner as well.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 567

Quote:
what's so funny ? Look what he did in Denver
And look at what Denver is doing now with a "real" qb
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13990

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballBender View Post

Why is this a reason he should stay in the NFL?

Tebow is a good guy, but a horrible QB. He could do these things and still not be in the NFL.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 12-07-2012, 09:58 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Rep Points: 29534

Quote:
Although Tim Tebow isn't a Bengal I root for him and, believe it or not, it's not due to his faith -- I am a Tebow fan because he endures the harshest criticism people can dish out and he still smiles and praises God.
Sooooo...It's because of his faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 440

Maybe thats why I don't care about Tebow that much. I'm not a man of faith, but I do like the good he does for his community. It would be better for him I think to get the media away from him and just let him be a #2 QB somewhere.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36244

Quote:
Still Doesnt matter..

Its great that everyone thinks Tebow is a great guy.. . He is simply not a great player.

the other running QBs can still throw with much better accuracy. Tebow might be a nice guy but that doesnt mean he deserves to stay in the NFL...

And if he does i sure as hell hope hes never a Bengal I want this team to win not pander to the media and fans.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakerocket View Post
And look at what Denver is doing now with a "real" qb
Please. They have Peyton freakin Manning, who could win 12 games with any team in the NFL. We already saw what this team did with Kyle Orton: go 5-14. The Broncos sukk without Peyton.

Sig by CinWillWin

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 12-07-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 48605

The problem with Tebow and success in the NFL, is that they keep putting QB next to his name. If a team would just drop their worst receiver, or RB from their roster,and insert Tebow into that roster spot, he could really become a matchup nightmare for many DCs around the league. You could put him at RB, he's strong and tough enough to run, block, take wildcat snaps, etc. Put him at TE, slot, even line him up at WR, I could forsee some trendous downfield blocking from him.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
And if he does i sure as hell hope hes never a Bengal I want this team to win not pander to the media and fans.
Considering only skill and not any outside factors, you think Bruce Gradkowski is a better option as a backup?

Keep in mind that Tebow has a better TD to INT ratio, yards per attempt average, yards per completion, touchdown %, int %, passer rating, rushing yards and has a 9-6 record as starter, compared to Grad's 6-14 record. He also has a playoff win under his belt.

But I guess Grad has a (slightly) higher completion %. Maybe that's the only stat that matters?

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4079

Quote:
Tebow is easily my favorite non-Bengal. I've always loved openly Christian players (Kitna, Warner etc) and Tebow is just a genuinely good person. Plus he beat the Steelers in the playoffs and that gets him bonus points.

I'm not really sure if Tebow is worthy of a starting gig in the NFL (maybe with AZ or his current team), but he's certainly good enough to be a #2 somewhere. If ESPN trucks weren't following him everywhere, I'd take him over Gradkowski anyday.

He's also better than guys like Skelton or Leftwich (or Sanchez for that matter). Heck I would probably take him over the vast majority of NFL backups. His passing skills aren't starting caliber, but he's a great runner and leader. Unfortunately, I think he'll be forced out of the league soon, because no one will want all the added attention for a backup. It's sad really.
That was one of my favorite non-Bengal games of all time. Also it was great to rub it in all the Steelers fans faces who thought their defense was going to destroy him

It's time for you to go Marv. Kirkpatrick is my hero.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:35 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 567

Quote:
Please. They have Peyton freakin Manning, who could win 12 games with any team in the NFL. We already saw what this team did with Kyle Orton: go 5-14. The Broncos sukk without Peyton.
Referencing Kyle Orton doesn't help prove your point.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Rep Points: 29534

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
The problem with Tebow and success in the NFL, is that they keep putting QB next to his name. If a team would just drop their worst receiver, or RB from their roster,and insert Tebow into that roster spot, he could really become a matchup nightmare for many DCs around the league. You could put him at RB, he's strong and tough enough to run, block, take wildcat snaps, etc. Put him at TE, slot, even line him up at WR, I could forsee some trendous downfield blocking from him.
I like all of this but I feel he would be way too small to be a TE...If they made him a TE it would tip off the D that it's a pass play nearly every time...He's not big enough to handle a blocking assignment on the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 48605

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
I like all of this but I feel he would be way too small to be a TE...If they made him a TE it would tip off the D that it's a pass play nearly every time...He's not big enough to handle a blocking assignment on the line.
Good point, maybe not so good as a traditional single TE, but as an H-back or in a 2TE set, he could be dangerous.