Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: Bring back Chad "Johnson"
Yes 64 40.25%
No 95 59.75%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2012, 11:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24123
Default Re: Chad on ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlidrocket View Post
Why? Can't block,won't go over the middle,doesn't have the game breaking speed anymore. Am iI the only one sick of seeing Chad getting man handled by the steelers defense?
1. He was a mediocre blocker, but so is AJ Green. Does that mean AJ is a bum?
2. Won't go over the middle? Why are you making stuff up? You don't remember Ray Lewis knocking his head off and Chad popping right back up? He never refused to go over the middle.
3. He doesn't need game breaking speed to be an upgrade at #2. He still has great feet and hands.
4. Chad didn't have a problem with the Steelers. Carson did.

In 4 games with Kitna and 1 with Fitzpatrick, Chad averaged 6.4 receptions for 94 yards and had 2 tds in 5 games. He had a pair of 100+ yard games.

In 12 games with Carson, Chad averaged 4 catches for 54 yards with 1 td in 12 games. He had zero 100+ yard games.

The problem was that Carson struggled against the Steelers. He averaged only 200 yards (exactly) with a 76.7 rating against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Chad Johnson > Tate > Binns > Whalyen > Hawkins so 5 out of 7 of our WR's even being past his prime hes better than our entire roster other than Green.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlotharw View Post
Hawkins > Binns > Whalen > and even Tate > Chad Johnson's ability to learn an offense.
Chad learned Brat's offense and there were NO reports of him struggling with the Dolphins' offense. He only had trouble in New England.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
2. Won't go over the middle? Why are you making stuff up? You don't remember Ray Lewis knocking his head off and Chad popping right back up? He never refused to go over the middle.
3. He doesn't need game breaking speed to be an upgrade at #2. He still has great feet and hands.

In 4 games with Kitna and 1 with Fitzpatrick, Chad averaged 6.4 receptions for 94 yards and had 2 tds in 5 games. He had a pair of 100+ yard games.

In 12 games with Carson, Chad averaged 4 catches for 54 yards with 1 td in 12 games. He had zero 100+ yard games.

The problem was that Carson struggled against the Steelers. He averaged only 200 yards (exactly) with a 76.7 rating against them.

This.

Chad learned Brat's offense and there were NO reports of him struggling with the Dolphins' offense. He only had trouble in New England.
Bratkowskis offense was descripted as one of the most complicated in the league.. Every route had hot reads etc

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 17

I am a Chad fan and I wouldn't mind seeing him back here. Look at Pacman and all the mistakes he made and he's turning out to be a good fit for the team. Even if he doesn't come back and play in Cincy at least let the man retire a Bengal. Or even bring him back as a receiver coach??
Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6391

Also this....The only reason the NFL commish didn't hand down a suspension on Chad is he hasn't been on a team.....If a team did sign Chad, the NFL Commish would then impose the suspension and he wouldn't even be available the last 4 games of the season..,...Very good chance of that because football media such as ESPN mentioned this alot, that a team getting Chad will have to go through the Commish suspending him. ...More reason not to pull this side show move, we don't need that Chad side show, we have good WRs and TEs.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Also this....The only reason the NFL commish didn't hand down a suspension on Chad is he hasn't been on a team.....If a team did sign Chad, the NFL Commish would then impose the suspension and he wouldn't even be available the last 4 games of the season..,...Very good chance of that because football media such as ESPN mentioned this alot, that a team getting Chad will have to go through the Commish suspending him. ...More reason not to pull this side show move, we don't need that Chad side show, we have good WRs and TEs.
Its possible but chad has never been in trouble for anything off the field before so may just face a fine. Also chad could put it into the Appeals process which would make him available till at least 2014...

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-06-2012, 12:32 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18763

Quote:

This.

All valid points, Shake, but I still wouldn't support it unless Marvin polled the players and got a thumbs up from the locker room, and offered Chad a deal with MAJOR restrictions on his egomaniacal, self-absorbed, attention whoring with the media and social media. He can celebrate TDs like the days of old, but he's not allowed to talk to the media.

EDIT: AND NO REALITY SHOWS!

Last edited by Shady; 12-06-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
All valid points, Shake, but I still wouldn't support it unless Marvin polled the players and got a thumbs up from the locker room, and offered Chad a deal with MAJOR restrictions on his egomaniacal, self-absorbed, attention whoring with the media and social media. He can celebrate TDs like the days of old, but he's not allowed to talk to the media.

that would definately be in the contract. I would say Chad you can be chad on the football field.

Off the football field you need to be a playbook studier without social media.

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

I'd be fine with all those stipulations. I don't want Chad here if he's going to be a knuckle head. I just don't think he would be. He's been through a lot since he left, and don't forget that Hue is back. He had his best years on and off the field when Hue was here.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Bandini View Post
Chad Johnson was a terrific receiver. Best Bengals WR all time before AJ Green will.

He will always be a Bengal for me.

I remember when he bought 13 000 tickets for the fans could see the game vs Detroit.

That was the most classy thing i've ever seen for fans in all sports.

I will always love the dude.
Chad Johnson was great. That Chad Ochocinco guy was a jerk. That's when it all changed.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6391

He has never played with Dalton.....with 4 games left, they just couldn't get the timing and plays down as he has with the other WRs and TEs......the offense just doesn't need him and has no time to bring him in and get him up to speed with Dalton and Gruden, it is way too late in the season for such a move. If Carson and Brat were still here, it might be different, but Carson and Brat are gone. It's a whole new offense and a whole new quarterback. Let Dalton throw to the guys he's worked with all season.

Last edited by kevin; 12-06-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2882

Quote:

Lets be real Shady, even when he was on his best behavior and didn't talk to the media while he was here or even in NE, you still would talk smack about him and say he was a cancer.

btw, i'm not talking about the 08 season, yes no doubt he was an Arse then. He's not as bad you make him out to be or other people.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:45 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 26846

The fact that there are 33 yes' to this thread shows the stupidity of the common fan....

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:51 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1876

He should either end his career here, or in Oakland. Him and Carson know each other, and it seems he would fit in the whole culture over there, and from what I have seen, they could use a receiver. However, I would like to see him come here. If it is just for one day, so he can retire a Bengal, or if he comes in here and actually competes for a job, either way I am cool with it. I do not think he should just be given a spot, but if he has enough left in the tank to run good routes and make some of those amazing catches we remember, that would be great. If he does not, the Bengals could just cut him or ask him to retire. This seems like a win-win. He does not have enough clout in our locker room anymore to really be a disruption. If he comes in here and acts like Ocho, I think that it will be short-lived and ignored by the current leaders on the squad, if he comes in here and acts like the Chad Johnson we love and remember, then damn, defenses are going to have their hands full.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post
Lets be real Shady, even when he was on his best behavior and didn't talk to the media while he was here or even in NE, you still would talk smack about him and say he was a cancer.

btw, i'm not talking about the 08 season, yes no doubt he was an Arse then. He's not as bad you make him out to be or other people.
At least I'm consistent. . I didn't frequent these boards before 2008 (check my join date), so I have no idea what you'd know about my thoughts on Chad before that time. But up until 2008, I never had any issues with Chad.

From 2008-2010, Chad was focused more on being a celebrity than with being a football player. Once the media hooker emerged, his play dropped off tremendously. If he'd refocus on being a football player and drop the other nonsense, I'd be totally open to giving him a tryout.

BTW, what other people?

Last edited by Shady; 12-06-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
At least I'm consistent. Plus, I was right. Once the media hooker emerged, his play dropped off tremendously. But up until 2008, I never had any issues with Chad. I didn't frequent these boards much back then anyway, but from 2008-2010, Chad was focused more on being a celebrity than with being a football player. If he'd refocus on being a football player and drop the other nonsense, I'd be totally open to giving him a tryout.

BTW, what other people?
Other people are like anyone else that hates Chad, i think its pretty much split. You either like him or hate him. Maybe hate is too strong of a word but you get the deal. I didn't think he was bad in 09-10, his numbers drop some but he was actually a good boy.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 26846

Quote:
Other people are like anyone else that hates Chad, i think its pretty much split. You either like him or hate him. Maybe hate is too strong of a word but you get the deal. I didn't think he was bad in 09-10, his numbers drop some but he was actually a good boy.
I neither love ihm or hate him TBH. I just saw not need to have him any longer when he started caring more about his image than playing football.

Antics + Caring about being theb est in the league = good Chad
Antics + Not caring about anything but image and a paycheck = bad Chad

It's rather simple really.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1149

Quote:
That's fine, i can respect your opinion. My opinion was Chad was the best we've ever had, that's until AJ takes over that mantle.
I have had the opportunity to see both Isaac Curtis and Chad play.
As stated earlier in this thread, defenses and rules were changed due to Curtis.
He dominated at wideout and showed up in big games .

Chad really impressed me when I saw him snagging passes from Kitna, get leveled, and bounce right back up. I thought " this guy could be special for this team ".

All things considered, Isaac still is the "Greatest " Bengal wideout IMO.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
At least I'm consistent. . I didn't frequent these boards before 2008 (check my join date), so I have no idea what you'd know about my thoughts on Chad before that time. But up until 2008, I never had any issues with Chad.

From 2008-2010, Chad was focused more on being a celebrity than with being a football player. Once the media hooker emerged, his play dropped off tremendously. If he'd refocus on being a football player and drop the other nonsense, I'd be totally open to giving him a tryout.

BTW, what other people?
In fairness, he played 2008 with a bad shoulder and Ryan Fitzpatrick as his QB.

He made the pro-bowl in 2009 despite playing in a run first offense. (1,047 yards and 9 tds)

In 2010, he played 2nd fiddle to Terrell Owens and still managed better numbers than any of our # 2's since. (831 yards, 4 tds)

I do think he lost a step to age, but I don't think the drop off is as black and white as some make it out to be.

I think it had more to do with other factors (age, Carson being out, run-first offense) than Chad simply not paying attention to football.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 12-06-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
In fairness, he played 2008 with a bad shoulder and Ryan Fitzpatrick as his QB.

He made the pro-bowl in 2009 despite playing in a run first offense. (1,047 yards and 9 tds)

In 2010, he played 2nd fiddle to Terrell Owens and still managed better numbers than any of our # 2's since. (831 yards, 4 tds)

I do think he lost a step to age, but I don't think the drop off is as black and white as some make it out to be.

I think it had more to do with other factors (age, Carson being out, run-first offense) than Chad simply not paying attention to football.
2008 was the year of his trade me tirade...

He even adminted to not keeping himselve in shape during the offseason and didnt practice with the team...

I think part of whitworths comments on chad was the fact that he would not attend OTA's and such which is where a lot of plays are installed it always put chad behind the 8 ball when the regular season rolled around.

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-06-2012, 05:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
2008 was the year of his trade me tirade...

He even adminted to not keeping himselve in shape during the offseason and didnt practice with the team...

I think part of whitworths comments on chad was the fact that he would not attend OTA's and such which is where a lot of plays are installed it always put chad behind the 8 ball when the regular season rolled around.
OTAs are way overrated.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 123

Chad Johnson will always be one of my favorites. If Mike and Marvin wanted to bring him back for a look I wouldn't be upset. If he has anything left in the tank he could help this team.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24693
bengals Re: Chad on ESPN

Quote:

I voted no, but this is the only way i would be for it.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 118

Please Bengals organization, for the love of everything, sign Chad Johnson and give this man his due!!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Btw you would get fined if you don't talk to the media, plus its really impossible for him to avoid since the media really loves Chad. He said all the right things while he was in NE, he's been saying all the right things now. I actually never had a problem with Chad when he was here (minus 08), I loved him for who he was, he was funny, his trash talking was all playful, he was entertaining and he gave back to the fans, ALWAYS!! He made things exciting for me, he also help get us out of the hump of the the so called BUNGLES era. He's done more to the Bengals fan community than anyone i can think of (even opposing fans).

Are there negatives about him YES, every player has negatives, every player is different. His good outweight his negatives. He's a special kind of player and it has made him successful overall, I never had a problem with him (minus 08 and the arrest). He's my guy and favorite Bengal of all time. Nuff said.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19293

So 40 votes to bring him back to 48 votes saying no. LoL wow...In the midst of a run for the playoffs, folks want to bring back a veteran past his prime that saw few snaps with the Pats last season while none this year, all the while having a troubled off-season incident of domestic violence which led to him being unemployed? Also lets not forget he has never played in Grudan's system, which means he would have some serious catching up to do, which imo means a lot of wrong routes being ran which isnt a good thing for the offense.

Sorry, there is no logical reasoning that can convince me it would be a good thing to bring him back with just 4 games to go, well 3 after the Dallas game.

WTS however, oh nevermind, still at the thought of bringing him back.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis