Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10084
Default Whoda thunk it?!? - Bengals have AFCN Best Offense and Second Best Defense!

Got to love this. I know the four game losing streak was bad but, as we all know, this Bengals team has been pouring it on of late. If they keep this up, they will force their way into the playoffs! Who Dey everyone!

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...ense-defense-5

Quote:
Where they rank on offense, defense
December, 6, 2012 3:30PM ET

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

The lack of carries for Ray Rice has been a season-long problem for Baltimore. It shows up in the production.

The Ravens currently have the 23rd-ranked ground game in the league, which is not typical for Baltimore. The Ravens' rushing attack has ranked in the top half of the NFL for the previous five seasons.

Last year, the Ravens were the 10th-best rushing team in the NFL. Their rushing yards per game have dropped from 124.8 in 2011 to 102.4 this year -- a difference of 22 yards per game.

This ground game is close to becoming one of the worst in franchise history. The lowest the Ravens have ever ranked in rushing was 25th (2006). It's hard to believe the Ravens could rank this low considering they have Pro Bowl players at running back (Rice) and fullback (Vonta Leach).

Here's a look at the NFL rankings after 13 weeks:

CINCINNATI BENGALS

Offense: Overall (15th), run (13th), pass (13th) and scoring (10th).

Defense: Overall (8th), run (11th), pass (11th) and scoring (14th-tied).

CLEVELAND BROWNS

Offense: Overall (27th), run (25th), pass (20th) and scoring (25th).

Defense: Overall (23rd), run (16th), pass (24th) and scoring (16th).

BALTIMORE RAVENS

Offense: Overall (19th), run (23rd), pass (15th) and scoring (9th).

Defense: Overall (25th), run (23rd), pass (23rd) and scoring (8th).

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Offense: Overall (20th), run (24th), pass (14th) and scoring (20th).

Defense: Overall (1st), run (5th), pass (1st) and scoring (6th).

Last edited by BengalzHacker; 12-06-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26480
bengals Re: Whoda thunk it?!? - Bengals have AFCN Best Offense and Second Best Defense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalzHacker View Post
Got to love this. I know the three game losing streak was bad but, as we all know, this Bengals team has been pouring it on of late. If they keep this up, they will force their way into the playoffs! Who Dey everyone!

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...ense-defense-5

4 game losing streak, but yeah i like the look of our Offense if the O-line keeps it up and
Dalton plays like he did the 3 games before the last one. Peerman being down and now
the Gresh being injured is worrying me a bit but if the O-line keeps run blocking like they
have we should be fine on Offense.

Great Defensive front 4 and rotation we have, that is all i can say.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29016
Default Re: Whoda thunk it?!? - Bengals have AFCN Best Offense and Second Best Defense!

Every loss during that 4 game streak was close. This team could easily be leading the division right now. Hopefully we can close out the season on an 8 game win streak.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

bengals Re: Whoda thunk it?!? - Bengals have AFCN Best Offense and Second Best Defense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Every loss during that 4 game streak was close. This team could easily be leading the division right now. Hopefully we can close out the season on an 8 game win streak.

True. We just couldn't finish and as bad as our Offense played against the Chargers they
finished. That is what was nice about that win and made me even a bit more confident in
this team. They can crush a good team like the Giants, crush bad teams like the Chiefs
and Raiders but finish off a team like the Chargers in their place after some poor play.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10084
Default Re: Whoda thunk it?!? - Bengals have AFCN Best Offense and Second Best Defense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post

4 game losing streak, but yeah i like the look of our Offense if the O-line keeps it up and
Dalton plays like he did the 3 games before the last one. Peerman being down and now
the Gresh being injured is worrying me a bit but if the O-line keeps run blocking like they
have we should be fine on Offense.

Great Defensive front 4 and rotation we have, that is all i can say.
Fixed it. Thank you Nate! They've been working me nearly to death and I'm worn out. I probably ought to go to bed. Can't believe I wrote three. DUH!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalzHacker View Post
Fixed it. Thank you Nate! They've been working me nearly to death and I'm worn out. I probably ought to go to bed. Can't believe I wrote three. DUH!

Rock on brother.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10809

Good things are in store for the Bengals if these rankings finish the season this way.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cards View Post
Good things are in store for the Bengals if these rankings finish the season this way.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18614

Third best defense because scoring is what matters.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8926

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
But scoring is not just on the D. Our league-leading four INTs returned for TDs, for example, doesn't help that stat.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3270

This is what drives me insane...If not for two dumb loses to the browns and dolphins, followed by a fourth quarter implosion against the broncos. We would be sitting at the top of the division and in competition for a first round bye. But since we didn't take care of business there is a chance we don't make the playoffs at all. Personally I think we will make the playoffs because the Ravens are about to go on a bad losing streak.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
But scoring is not just on the D. Our league-leading four INTs returned for TDs, for example, doesn't help that stat.
They don't include those touchdowns on scoring for stats against the defense.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
They don't include those touchdowns on scoring for stats against the defense.
Yes, they do. The scoring ranking is based on all points conceded, therefore not always a fair reflection of the D since it includes safeties and TDs allowed by offense, as well as any TDs on special teams like punt or kick returns or blocked kicks run in.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, they do. The scoring ranking is based on all points conceded, therefore not always a fair reflection of the D since it includes safeties and TDs allowed by offense, as well as any TDs on special teams like punt or kick returns or blocked kicks run in.
I'm almost positive that they don't include interceptions returned for touchdowns and such as points against the defense.

Anyways, it still doesn't change the fact that scoring is what matters, not yards, because, even if they did include touchdowns off interceptions, it's not enough to make that big of a difference.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I'm almost positive that they don't include interceptions returned for touchdowns and such as points against the defense.

Anyways, it still doesn't change the fact that scoring is what matters, not yards, because, even if they did include touchdowns off interceptions, it's not enough to make that big of a difference.
They do include all TDs and it does make a difference. We've allowed 4 TDs by our offense and 1 TD on special teams (the kick return v. Denver). That's 35 points when our D was not on the field. None of the teams ranked ahead of us in scoring are that bad. If you simply subtract out TDs given up on offense and special teams for all teams we'd move up 5 spots in the scoring rankings to 9th ... suddenly looks a lot like our defensive ranking in yards. See here:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...true&Submit=Go

Last edited by Ryan Mc; 12-06-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2964

Quote:

They do count pick 6's against the defense. It's absolutely absurd but it is something that is accounted for.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
They do include all TDs and it does make a difference. We've allowed 4 TDs by our offense and 1 TD on special teams (the kick return v. Denver). That's 35 points when our D was not on the field. None of the teams ranked ahead of us in scoring are that bad. If you simply subtract out TDs given up on offense and special teams for all teams we'd move up 5 spots in the scoring rankings to 9th ... suddenly looks a lot like our defensive ranking in yards. See here:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...true&Submit=Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson19osu View Post
They do count pick 6's against the defense. It's absolutely absurd but it is something that is accounted for.

They don't in fantasy football, and it would be stupid if they did, so that's why I assumed that those stats don't (they normally count if special teams scores, though).

Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
This is what drives me insane...If not for two dumb loses to the browns and dolphins, followed by a fourth quarter implosion against the broncos. We would be sitting at the top of the division and in competition for a first round bye. But since we didn't take care of business there is a chance we don't make the playoffs at all. Personally I think we will make the playoffs because the Ravens are about to go on a bad losing streak.
That goes both ways with the Steelers as well, they can also make the same claim with the Raiders, Titans and Browns
Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8607

I attribute Dalton's performance this past week to the trip to the west coast and he was due a poor game. I think, I hope this week he turns it on and plays lights out these final 8 games.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
I personally look at those losses as a blessing in disguise. It's well known that Marvin's teams normally fade down the stretch but those 2 losses specifically have put the Bengals in the hole and their backs against the wall the rest of the way. It's essentially forcing them to play their best football the rest of the way. If this team were sitting at 9-3 I'm not so sure they may be a little complacent knowing they would realistically only have to win 1 of the last 4 to get into the playoffs. However, every game counts now and the Bengals are playing an exciting brand of football.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
I attribute Dalton's performance this past week to the trip to the west coast and he was due a poor game. I think, I hope this week he turns it on and plays lights out these final 8 games.
I like your thinking.👍
Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1233

I would personally like to thank Chris Crocker for making it all possible.

No but seriously since he got here, well...
Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2764

Quote:
Of course. But that's not discernable from total points allowed.

Besides what has already been mentioned (safeties, turnover and kick returns), there is also the "succeeded but failed" factor.

Say the offense fumbles on their 20. The defense gets on the field and forces a 4th and 10. In any rational mind, that's a huge success, a 3 and out. But, in that case, the opponent kicks a successful field goal. Those points also count against the defense.

Or... the offense fumbles on their 1 yd line. The defense gives up just one yard on the drive. That's also a huge success. Except that the opponent still scores 7 pts on the TD. How can any reasonable person put that on the defense? That's just crazy. But measuring the defense solely by "points allowed" does that.

The NFL uses yards because there is absolutely no confusion over who is to blame. The defense, and only the defense, yields those yards. So that's the only fair way to rank defenses.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
Take away the int that should've been a catch by Marvin Jones, and Dalton had a solid game really.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumetti View Post
Of course. But that's not discernable from total points allowed.

Besides what has already been mentioned (safeties, turnover and kick returns), there is also the "succeeded but failed" factor.

Say the offense fumbles on their 20. The defense gets on the field and forces a 4th and 10. In any rational mind, that's a huge success, a 3 and out. But, in that case, the opponent kicks a successful field goal. Those points also count against the defense.

Or... the offense fumbles on their 1 yd line. The defense gives up just one yard on the drive. That's also a huge success. Except that the opponent still scores 7 pts on the TD. How can any reasonable person put that on the defense? That's just crazy. But measuring the defense solely by "points allowed" does that.

The NFL uses yards because there is absolutely no confusion over who is to blame. The defense, and only the defense, yields those yards. So that's the only fair way to rank defenses.
I guess it's all how you look at it because that doesn't happen much where the other team gets the ball on the 1, and good defenses can at least hold teams to 3 if they're not that close to the endzone.

With yards, say team a scores, kicks to team b, they drive 70 yards but are held to a field goal, then it team a has three more chances to kick a field goal before team b can drive 80 yards again three times to go up on them. That scenario, team b is dominating in yards but team a wins the game.