Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25303
Default Re: Potential 2013 SAM Candidates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Watched him in the PAC 12 championship game and he was horrible.. Ill pass
That is a terrible game to judge players on for one reason: That field was a wreck.
I know Franklin has better balance and cut ability. I know Barr is faster off the edge than he was at times. I know Thomas has better ability to flow than he showed.

Footing was awful. Conditions were awful. Watch the game before. Or any throughout the season. Chase has some serious potential.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23828

No love for CJ Mosely? Alabama's MVP?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
No love for CJ Mosely? Alabama's MVP?
Im seeing he might be a WLB in the NFL
Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Im seeing he might be a WLB in the NFL
Why? Because of his coverage skills? He's explosive. I think he'd do well at SAM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Why? Because of his coverage skills? He's explosive. I think he'd do well at SAM.
Because he isn't rushing the passer much at all. So really depending on scheme.
Alabama was pulling him at times to sub in pass rushers.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3288

Quote:
He does have great coverage skills. But as Berserker said, he doesn't pass rush or set the edge much at all. A strongside linebacker needs to be able to do these things. It's well known that Marvin prefers his SAMs to be more oriented in pass rushing, setting the edge, and run defense. Mosley may fit in a more traditional SAM role to cover TEs and slot receivers, but we have very rarely, if ever, utilized our SAM in the traditional manner.

The reason I left off Mosley is because others (including draft analysts) and myself see him fitting, ideally, into a weakside or middle linebacker role.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post

The reason I left off Mosley is because others (including draft analysts) and myself see him fitting, ideally, into a weakside or middle linebacker role.
Agree. I think he projects to the weak side better.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

IMO, Mosely is the best OLB outside of the obvious Jarvis Jones range. He can pretty much play either strong or weak side, besides, from an overall standpoint, I'd much rather keep draftting in the SEC other than anywhere else
Mosley at WLB Rey at ILB, Burfict at SAM plus did we forget about our team leader in tackles from last year named Howard?
However I do realize that Chase Thomas is one of the leaders of one of the best defenses in the nation over at Stanford, so don't take my statement to general.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 12-06-2012, 11:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
IMO, Mosely is the best OLB outside of the obvious Jarvis Jones range. He can pretty much play either strong or weak side, besides, from an overall standpoint, I'd much rather keep draftting in the SEC other than anywhere else
Mosley at WLB Rey at ILB, Burfict at SAM plus did we forget about our team leader in tackles from last year named Howard?
However I do realize that Chase Thomas is one of the leaders of one of the best defenses in the nation over at Stanford, so don't take my statement to general.
I think he is the best LB in the draft. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him picked ahead of Teo. I'm starting to doubt his availability with our first round pick.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

OLB- Thomas Howard

MLB- Vontaze Burfict

OLB- CJ Mosley
Old 12-07-2012, 01:28 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
I see some people mocking Mosley to us, which is fine, but some are talking about putting him at SAM when he fits more of a MIKE and ideally a WILL in a 4-3. I think one of our biggest needs is a pure SAM linebacker, not a WILL or MIKE. Lawson is mediocre and many are talking about Burfict moving into the MIKE. Burfict is listed as our starting WILL anyway. I think WILL is our least needed LB spot in terms of drafting, but that's getting off topic.

So my question is...who are some good potential SAM candidates in the upcoming draft?

I will list the following obvious:
Jarvis Jones
Chase Thomas
Gerald Hodges

Other possibilities:
Dion Jordan- He has been called into coverage a lot, defending slot/TE in space and playing 3-4 OLB. Since he is only 242 LBs, he is too small for a conventional 4-3 DE (right now), but could be groomed into 4-3 SAM due to his practice at dropping back into pass coverage.

Please feel free to add more and provide reason(s) why they are/could be a good SAM.

Khalil Mack 6'3 244 LB Buffalo 95 tackles 21 tackles for loss this year along with 8 sacks and 4 forced fumbles.

An explosive, upper body powerful outside rusher, Mack consistently separates himself from a blocker and shifts his eyes to the quarterback or ball carrier with good full-body balance. He has the ability to get low, drive and bend outside, and use his lower body strength to drive underneath and close down to the inside. He has fantastic change of direction and balance as he repositions his rushes, but could better utilize that for counter rush moves or to set himself up against upfield blockers that attack him.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 458

Forgive me if this comes off uninformed because I haven't read any scouting reports or haven't heard how the experts project him to the pros. All I know is what I've seen.

But how can anyone be ok using a 1st round pick on a 2 down player. I'm talking about CJ Mosely. He's only on the field during passing downs and rarely during obvious running downs. I know the NFL has become a passing league but if you can't play 3 downs in college how can you expect him to do it in the pros?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacymcbryant18 View Post
Forgive me if this comes off uninformed because I haven't read any scouting reports or haven't heard how the experts project him to the pros. All I know is what I've seen.

But how can anyone be ok using a 1st round pick on a 2 down player. I'm talking about CJ Mosely. He's only on the field during passing downs and rarely during obvious running downs. I know the NFL has become a passing league but if you can't play 3 downs in college how can you expect him to do it in the pros?
He comes out on passing downs because Alabama has limited pass rush so he is occasionally subbed for a pass rusher but other wise plays.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35467

Well next year we will likely have Thomas and Burfict on the Outsides. and still have Moch in reserve so either Resign Rey M or find a new MIKE not sam
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Well next year we will likely have Thomas and Burfict on the Outsides. and still have Moch in reserve so either Resign Rey M or find a new MIKE not sam
You think they will re-sign a 30 year old LB who is coming off an ACL injury?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
You think they will re-sign a 30 year old LB who is coming off an ACL injury?
I hope not. This draft is damn near custom made for us to completely restock our talent. Double dip at LB and S and late round CB and we have a dynamic, deep, and young team. This could really be a turning point for our franchise if we are smart.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
I hope not. This draft is damn near custom made for us to completely restock our talent. Double dip at LB and S and late round CB and we have a dynamic, deep, and young team. This could really be a turning point for our franchise if we are smart.
Id agree with that.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
I'd be fine with taking Thomas at 2A, if he's available. Put Burfict in the middle, flanked by Mosely and Thomas. Or put Mosely in the middle.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4118

CJ Mosley is also my top linebacker pick. These are the reasons why.
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/cj-mosley

Love the way he reads & reacts to plays and how he extends his arms when a lineman is mauling him.

Now take a look at arguably the next two linebackers in the draft.
Alec Ogletree - http://draftbreakdown.com/players/alec-ogletree
Chase Thomas - http://draftbreakdown.com/players/chase-thomas (Should not even be considered because this guy is a prototypical 3-4 OLB.)

I for one don't even think its close.

Last edited by Synric; 12-07-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post

Love the way he reads & reacts to plays and how he extends his arms when a lineman is mauling him.

Chase Thomas - http://draftbreakdown.com/players/chase-thomas (Should not even be considered because this guy is a prototypical 3-4 OLB.)

Then you didn't watch the SEC championship game closely enough. Ogletree was hands down the best defensive player on the field. Mosely was being pulled off the field by Saban in pass rushing situations. That game has been widely regarded as the catalyst for Ogletrees ascent into the first round.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Last edited by Burma; 12-07-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3288

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post

Then you haven't been paying attention to the types of SAM that Marvin has always gone after. Chase Thomas fits the mold of a Marvin Lewis SAM practically to a T.

Sure, we would all love a SAM that can do everything well, but mostly all LBs are either good in coverage or rushing/setting the edge. Not both.

As kacymcbryant18 stated, the SAM typically will get replaced with a fifth DB on obvious passing downs. Therefore, a pass rushing, edge setting, run stuffing SAM is a much better fit in our scheme. Chase Thomas actually chose to return to Stanford for his senior year, with his main focus on developing better pass defense. At least he has shown the willingness to improve any weaknesses in his game.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 12-07-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 30

Hodges
Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9925

CJ Mosley, Alec Ogletree and Dion Jordan are some of my personal favorites. I think either one of these guys, whether they are projected at will or not, could play there and be very explosive next to Thomas Howard and Vontaze next season.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24467
bengals Re: Potential 2013 SAM Candidates?

I have seen Dion Jordan mentioned by a couple of people. I did not get to see a bunch of Oregon this season did he drop into coverage on a regular basis and how did he look when he did? Would it be a project type deal or does he show the skills needed to step in an play LB?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I have seen Dion Jordan mentioned by a couple of people. I did not get to see a bunch of Oregon this season did he drop into coverage on a regular basis and how did he look when he did? Would it be a project type deal or does he show the skills needed to step in an play LB?
He can do it all. I've seen him cover a WR.