Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: Bring back Chad "Johnson"
Yes 64 40.25%
No 95 59.75%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2012, 08:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3118
Default Re: Chad on ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
So 40 votes to bring him back to 48 votes saying no. LoL wow...In the midst of a run for the playoffs, folks want to bring back a veteran past his prime that saw few snaps with the Pats last season while none this year, all the while having a troubled off-season incident of domestic violence which led to him being unemployed? Also lets not forget he has never played in Grudan's system, which means he would have some serious catching up to do, which imo means a lot of wrong routes being ran which isnt a good thing for the offense.

Sorry, there is no logical reasoning that can convince me it would be a good thing to bring him back with just 4 games to go, well 3 after the Dallas game.

WTS however, oh nevermind, still at the thought of bringing him back.
I think most people are talking about next year not this year. My thought would be if we did sign him now it would just be a walkthrough to get him up to speed, then by next year, training camp and all he be ready. We kind of did a similar thing with Mays on defense so that would be my thought if we were to do so, but yeah bringing in anyone at this time of the year wouldn't be a great idea.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20063

For the record I always liked Chad, but wasn't a big fan of his Ocho days. Just over the top for me. He was a great receiver for us there for quite a few years, and then morphed into a celeb-reality-show player. I just don't see hm helping this team out at all at this point, or any point in the future.

Also his former QB here just threw a nice intro to Champ near the Broncos goaline on quite a bad throw. Broncos ball.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
For the record I always liked Chad, but wasn't a big fan of his Ocho days. Just over the top for me. He was a great receiver for us there for quite a few years, and then morphed into a celeb-reality-show player. I just don't see hm helping this team out at all at this point, or any point in the future.

Also his former QB here just threw a nice intro to Champ near the Broncos goaline on quite a bad throw. Broncos ball.
To be honest, was anyone a fan of the Ocho days. Lol. I'm right there with you. I was always a fan of Chad (even in his Ocho days). Yes that's sad that I said it but I did and that's that. I'm all in to bring him back home to the Bengals.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post
I think most people are talking about next year not this year. My thought would be if we did sign him now it would just be a walkthrough to get him up to speed, then by next year, training camp and all he be ready. We kind of did a similar thing with Mays on defense so that would be my thought if we were to do so, but yeah bringing in anyone at this time of the year wouldn't be a great idea.

But there is no reason to bring him back period. If this team can't have a better receiver opposite AJ next season than the current Chad, then that is, well, pretty bad on their part.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown

Old 12-06-2012, 09:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal050 View Post
To be honest, was anyone a fan of the Ocho days. Lol. I'm right there with you. I was always a fan of Chad (even in his Ocho days). Yes that's sad that I said it but I did and that's that. I'm all in to bring him back home to the Bengals.
Im all for signing him up for one day so he can retire a Bengal if he wanted to. Anything more than that though, nope, sorry, I just cant see any rational reason he should be on this roster during the regular season. The team can do better than that whether in free agency or the draft even.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 118

Quote:
I actually think we need to bring him in now. I'm not so sure we can trust our WR situation outside of Green and Hawkins. And Hawkins plays the slot. I'm ready to go all in with Jones but I still think that injury is lingering his progress. That's why I think we need to bring Johnson in because right now we can't trust Jones (atleast until he's better from his injury). Binns hasn't been impressive at all. And we definitely can't trust Tate. We may be able to trust Whalen but i'm not even sure on that. Johnson could come in and fill that role. And with Gresham having hamstring issues (which hopefully doesn't last long) we need that No.2 guy to compliment Green.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1120

Maybe the poll should have been asks did you watch the Chad Johnson interview...
if you did then you would probably say I want him on the team because he looks so desperate.

It's like he is trying to make himself believe he is still relevant.
I just want him on the team at this point because he looks so desperate and broken.

At the same time, he brought this upon himself, and wish he didn't do what he did.
He would at least have the possibility of doing more shows.
He broken... it's sad.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1243

If Chad literally has his mouth sewn shut then yes, bring him in for a workout.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 596

I needed a hell no button

Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6133

When and if Chad gets signed on a team somewhere I would be willing to bet the farm he would be back to his over the top antics and claiming it makes him a better player. It's in his nature.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3118

It would hurt my feelings if I saw Chad wear a Steelers uniform.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1243

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFather07 View Post
When and if Chad gets signed on a team somewhere I would be willing to bet the farm he would be back to his over the top antics and claiming it makes him a better player. It's in his nature.
He alluded to that in the interview. Something something about the Pats system wouldn't allow him to be Chad and that is one of the reasons he failed there. Like his mouth is the source of his power or something.

I do feel a bit sorry for him lately not unlike feeling sorry for a lost child. I wish him the best but not here. Infact, during the interview I thought he would fit in nicely with those guys . Maybe they should hire him.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Orange View Post
He alluded to that in the interview. Something something about the Pats system wouldn't allow him to be Chad and that is one of the reasons he failed there. Like his mouth is the source of his power or something.

I do feel a bit sorry for him lately not unlike feeling sorry for a lost child. I wish him the best but not here. Infact, during the interview I thought he would fit in nicely with those guys . Maybe they should hire him.
If they brought him back for the last game of the year just to let him retire in Stripes, I'd be ok with it if not for having to give up a roster spot.

I made those same arguments earlier. I'd love to have him back if he'd keep his focus on football, but I'm not sure he's capable of avoiding a microphone or camera.

If I was Marvin, I might call him and ask him if he'd like a shot at a ring. If he said yes, then I'd say, "Ok, then here's the deal . . . "

If he balked at that deal, I'd wish him the best and good luck in latching on with a team next year.

But Marvin's over Chad. It's not going to happen. There's no sense in tearing into each other over it on here.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:11 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21906

Yes. Then let him finish his career here. If it pans out that he can be productive in this Offense and help the younger players along, then great. The only downside to this is he would have to check the celebrity garbage at the door. He's certainly better than Tate and Binns at WR, and possibly more.

If all goes well, have him back-up A.J.....be the 3rd or 4th option for a year or two. Let him contribute to the team then as best he can before he retires as a Bengal (as he should).

If all doesn't go well.....cut him.

I don't see why people would not want to take a chance on him.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 850

Quote:
Chad and Marvin are close, they talk EVERYDAY!!
According to Chad....
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8939

If we brought him in he would take a back seat to AJ, and it wouldnt take long before Chad started running his mouth about not getting targets.

Granted he may still be effective, and hell he may even be a better #2 option than what we have healthy right now.

With that said Im still gonna have to pass on him.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1774

I really don't understand why people are so quick to say "hell no" or any variation of it. If he was brought in for a work out did amazing, checked himself at the door and realized if you don't shut your mouth and play ball or contribute, you're gone. If its for the betterment of the team I'm all for it if he's better than any #2 we have now. Heck, I'd bring in an old *** Jerry Rice off the streets if he could help this team. Like I said, someone is not gonna come in here in wk 13 and mess up the team chemistry. So whatever your personal opinion is of him should be put on the back burner. If he would help the team why would you not want him here?
Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuZZ View Post
I'm sure he'd ask Binns nicely for his number back...
I watched the clips and I remember a few remember talking to a friend a week ago telling him that Chad had such a glorious love affair with Cincy and its fans that he at one point had us all in the palm of his hand. I felt terrible for him after watching. Then I began to think that if he was sitting in Mike Browns office what would be the red flag that would tell him "there is no way I would sign Chad." Hence why I quoted. If the first thing out of his mouth was "can I have my #85 back?" Mike Brown should send him packing. I think Chad Johnson the player would be of a benefit to this teams young WR's but OCHO CINCO needs to be put away and never seen again..Finally I asked myself, Should the Bengals sign him? Every part of my heart says yes, because he's such a ICON to all of us..But my head says he might become errosive..So if I had the choice, I'd sign him..See how he does for the rest of the season and then make another eval on him at the end of this.But I do believe if he was on the field for us NOW, he'd relieve a lot of the pressure that AJ is seeing..
Old 12-07-2012, 03:37 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37050

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljastangs21 View Post
Anyone else see that long talk they had with Chad? Only thing that seemed sincere to me was he said he would be willing to be AJ Greens backup and then he said "my god, that kid can ball" and honestly looked like he was about to cry. I feel kinda bad for the guy.
He's been chewed up and spit out by the league but is young enough that he just might, on account of being humbled and a renewed focus, be able to make some plays for a team as their 3rd or 4th guy. I would even be happy to see that happen for him.....just not here.
2014 Bengals........13-3, #1 seed in playoffs. That's gonna happen.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:43 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37050

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
This might be a marriage made in heaven. Bengals have a need and Chad's had all the diva knocked right out of him. Could be a heckuva story, having Chad as the missing piece. He would definitely take some of the heat off AJ and give Marvin Jones another year to be ready. I'd have no problem with a one year deal and it shocks me that I'm even saying this.
Maybe for the right team, he could be a decent 3 or 4, but ppl are forgetting quickly how totally ineffective he was for the Patriots. Dude is limited physically now, and always has been mentally limited as far as being able to grasp the intricacies of pro offense.

Do we really think he can show up, learn Gruden's offense quickly and pull coverage away from AJ? I don't, not even for a second. That's beyond wishful thinking to me.
2014 Bengals........13-3, #1 seed in playoffs. That's gonna happen.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:44 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 900

I just don't get why some people want him back. Those were some good ole days when he used to be a great player for this team, but he's at the point where he has to beg for a job. It's over and done fellas. He means well and has done good things in his life...but he seems emotional, shattered, and over the hill. He'd be more baggage than he's worth IMO. Let's let the young guys battle it out and see who develops into a good WR.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force 1 View Post
I watched the clips and I remember a few remember talking to a friend a week ago telling him that Chad had such a glorious love affair with Cincy and its fans that he at one point had us all in the palm of his hand. I felt terrible for him after watching. Then I began to think that if he was sitting in Mike Browns office what would be the red flag that would tell him "there is no way I would sign Chad." Hence why I quoted. If the first thing out of his mouth was "can I have my #85 back?" Mike Brown should send him packing. I think Chad Johnson the player would be of a benefit to this teams young WR's but OCHO CINCO needs to be put away and never seen again..Finally I asked myself, Should the Bengals sign him? Every part of my heart says yes, because he's such a ICON to all of us..But my head says he might become errosive..So if I had the choice, I'd sign him..See how he does for the rest of the season and then make another eval on him at the end of this.But I do believe if he was on the field for us NOW, he'd relieve a lot of the pressure that AJ is seeing..
Yeah, after watching the interviews, I'm torn on whether I'd really want him back or not. He made the Bengals fun again back in his first few years. It's hard to weigh the pros and cons on Chad because we don't really know how imbalanced the man is at this point.

As far as helping the Bengals right now, I just don't know if he could, but I do know these Bengals are a bit camera shy and it would be a circus.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714
bengals Re: Chad on ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuZZ View Post
Yeah, after watching the interviews, I'm torn on whether I'd really want him back or not. He made the Bengals fun again back in his first few years. It's hard to weigh the pros and cons on Chad because we don't really know how imbalanced the man is at this point.

As far as helping the Bengals right now, I just don't know if he could, but I do know these Bengals are a bit camera shy and it would be a circus.
I think it's safe to say Chad wasn't all too balanced to begin with. He was a great player and he seems to be a pretty good guy for the most part, but man is he a distraction. That seems to be the last thing these youngs guys need right now. The team seems to be highly focused and motivated to win these last four games right now. The media frenzy that would come along with bringing Chad back would very likely take a lot of wind out of the lockerroom's sails. He would have to be evaluated over an off-season to determine if he had enough value to return. There's just too much that travels along with CJ, both extremely high and low. The Bengals are rolling well staying on an even-keel right now. That's the culture of this team moving foward now, I think.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4683

Saw the "debate" show. I don't know who the announcers were/are. I'm not even familiar with the show. I don't know who the black guy and girl were sitting there interviewing Chad. However, if I were Chad, I would have come over that desk and beat that white guy for trying to get me to say it was the Patriot's fault for his failure. Chad said he should have been successful playing for the best QB and the best team he's ever played for. He didn't blame anyone else for the failure. But, that's what that announcer wanted him to do. Yep, I would have kicked his white posterior bloody on TV.

Those guys wanted Chad to cause a controversy, and he didn't take the bait. That ticked them off.

Good for Chad.

I don't know if he does or doesn't have anything left to offer. I suspect he does, and that he's been humbled plenty.

But, from what I saw out of his time in NE, I don't know what he can, or can't do anymore. Maybe if he got a tryout we would see. Bengals? Interesting thought, yet there would always be that tug in the back of Marvin's mind that Chad wants touches and to be the #1 WR.

The karma on this team is the best I've seen it in 20 years. Do you risk that? To bring on a backup? How good would he be if he really wanted to prove everyone wrong about him?

Last edited by graphicguy; 12-07-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:29 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 684

I am one to believe giving someone a second chance. Everyone makes assumptions and don't really know how he would act or what he will do. Only way to find out is to bring him back. Maybe if he does come back he should make a press conference and apologize to the fans and the city of Cincinnati. But who knows and why not find out?