Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076
Default Quintuple bypass

My dad just came out of open heart surgery like a champ. He had a quintuple bypass which is pretty crazy. His initial heart attack was pretty massive but everything went ok! Surgeon actually said better thane first expected. Of course she shares this with us afterwards lol. But yeah just wanted to share its been a rocky past couple of days. He will be in the hospital for most likely 4-5 more days and then will need to be watched 24/7 the whole next week but the rough part is over and it's all uphill from here on out!

Ps. He's a creeper of the boards so any past experience or stories, feel free to post as he will need some reading material when he's off all the drugs.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12294
Default Re: Quintuple bypass

Thats a scary situation. I know you're all happy to have that first big hurdle out of the way. Best of luck and prayers to you and your family the rest of the way!

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Location: rfaulk34 is dumb, BTB is dumber...However Neek is the Mt. Everest of dumb….
Rep Points: 28143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
My dad just came out of open heart surgery like a champ. He had a quintuple bypass which is pretty crazy. His initial heart attack was pretty massive but everything went ok! Surgeon actually said better thane first expected. Of course she shares this with us afterwards lol. But yeah just wanted to share its been a rocky past couple of days. He will be in the hospital for most likely 4-5 more days and then will need to be watched 24/7 the whole next week but the rough part is over and it's all uphill from here on out!

Ps. He's a creeper of the boards so any past experience or stories, feel free to post as he will need some reading material when he's off all the drugs.
I am very happy he is doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Quintuple bypass

Glad everything went well, and good luck down the road.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Thank you all !
Old 12-06-2012, 04:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16788

Quote:

Cool man! Glad to see he is doing well. Keep us updated.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6514

He should do fine Whodey, the technology used today is just amazing. Hope he's feeling better real soon.

October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Old 12-06-2012, 04:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30484
Default Re: Quintuple Overpass

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-06-2012, 05:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 43145

No good stories to share, just a well wish. Glad your Dad is going to be alright!

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18081

That's awesome, the wonders of modern medicine.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2657

Glad to hear he's doing better!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7267

Good news!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10904

Must feel like a huge weight off your shoulders. Congrats and good luck.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 52161

I had this same procedure in 1998, spent 5 days in the hospital, then the next three weeks pretty much recovering from the actual surgery. After that, rehab for several weeks and haven't looked back since. After that first month the worse part was dealing with losing the vein in my leg, from which the surgeon harvested to use as bypass graphs. Lots of exercise, taking an enzyme for better cardiovascular circulation (COQ10), and vastly improving my diet was/is the secret to thriving after such an ordeal. There are a couple of other medications involved, but that varies depending on genetics. All should turn out well if he stays forcused on what his body needs.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16879

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats forever View Post
I had this same procedure in 1998, spent 5 days in the hospital, then the next three weeks pretty much recovering from the actual surgery. After that, rehab for several weeks and haven't looked back since. After that first month the worse part was dealing with losing the vein in my leg, from which the surgeon harvested to use as bypass graphs. Lots of exercise, taking an enzyme for better cardiovascular circulation (COQ10), and vastly improving my diet was/is the secret to thriving after such an ordeal. There are a couple of other medications involved, but that varies depending on genetics. All should turn out well if he stays forcused on what his body needs.
I was gonna ask how much leg vein was left and what kind of after care or work was invloved with that.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
I was gonna ask how much leg vein was left and what kind of after care or work was invloved with that.
The surgeon "harvested" six 2" sections from my ankle to the groin area. Apparently one was not usable, as this vein contains a few check valves that prevent blood from backflowing down between heartbeats. Having one of the check valves in a bypass graph would be pretty risky if your blood has a tendency to clot at a higher rate than normal. Sorry if this was TMI.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats forever View Post
Yeah similar with my pops. Wasn't in bad shape at all, just needs to focus more on a better diet. Victim of being Americanized I suppose.

I drove him up to the hospital Tuesday when he called from Olive Garden and basically said get your *** up here. Had pretty bad chest pains and obviously we didn't know the severity of it at this point, but we got to the ER and they went right to business. They said If I hadn't got him there when I did, then he wouldn't have made it. Although with chest pains of that caliber, I think anyone would want to go straight to the Hospital. Anyhow, apparently it was a pretty massive one. I forget what the scale for heart attacks is because when she told us the numbers for a standard heart attack and the number his was rated at , i about shat myself. Something along the lines of .250 and his was at like 100?? Not entirely sure like I said.

Anyhow he had 5 bypass, which I had to google the correct term...I've heard of triple and quadruple but damn quintuple?! Similar to your case, they had to use a vein in the leg. Should be in hospital for 5ish days and then can't lift over 5 lbs for 6-8 weeks ish.
Mind you a gallon of milk weighs 7lbs..

It was a wake up call as much as it was of a surprise to us. Apparently he started the trend as something I will have to watch out for in my future as his parents never had any issues.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 154

Here,s to all that ends well and what a true holiday story......Best of luck Whodey23
Old 12-07-2012, 04:22 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Yeah similar with my pops. Wasn't in bad shape at all, just needs to focus more on a better diet. Victim of being Americanized I suppose.

I drove him up to the hospital Tuesday when he called from Olive Garden and basically said get your *** up here. Had pretty bad chest pains and obviously we didn't know the severity of it at this point, but we got to the ER and they went right to business. They said If I hadn't got him there when I did, then he wouldn't have made it. Although with chest pains of that caliber, I think anyone would want to go straight to the Hospital. Anyhow, apparently it was a pretty massive one. I forget what the scale for heart attacks is because when she told us the numbers for a standard heart attack and the number his was rated at , i about shat myself. Something along the lines of .250 and his was at like 100?? Not entirely sure like I said.

Anyhow he had 5 bypass, which I had to google the correct term...I've heard of triple and quadruple but damn quintuple?! Similar to your case, they had to use a vein in the leg. Should be in hospital for 5ish days and then can't lift over 5 lbs for 6-8 weeks ish.
Mind you a gallon of milk weighs 7lbs..

It was a wake up call as much as it was of a surprise to us. Apparently he started the trend as something I will have to watch out for in my future as his parents never had any issues.
The 5lb rule was something I forgot about. I had to sleep in a recliner for a few weeks until the chest incision healed, as you exert more than 5lbs pressure just to get out of bed. Ah....the memories
Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12576

Quote:

Great news, my father had multiple heart surgeries. I cannot honestly believe he lived as long as he did through them. Modern medicine is amazing and I am glad to hear he is doing well.

On a side note, I would not suggest reading these boards unless you are on drugs.

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 12-07-2012, 09:28 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32285

I wish him a speedy recovery!

Old 12-07-2012, 03:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Quintuple bypass

Is everything still going good, hope so, when my mom had it done she was very sore for a week, hurt to breathe.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 970

A few comments for your Father to read, if he is viewing this board:
1) Nothing makes a person feel his age plus 10 years, than CABG.
2) Once the chest tube is removed and he is stabilized, he would have stepped out of the danger zone.
3) Based on some points that you have shared, I think he may have had a NSTEMI event, than a STEMI. If he had a NSTEMI, then the damage to his heart is not severe, generally.
4) The number of vessels bypassed, implies that he had multi-vessel disease. Seems obvious, but it means that the chest pain was not as a result of a severe rupture and subsequent complete blockage of one coronary artery, but rather blood flow decrease due to partial blockade of multiple vessel.
5) Your father is lucky in that he had the pain which prompted his ER visit and discovery of the issue.
6) Make sure that he rests without physical and emotional stress ( no football on TV ).
7) Must take his Aspirin and Antiplatelet religiously to prevent clotting of the new grafts.

My comments are meant only as suggestions for your Father to consider discussing with his CT Surgeon. Not as a recommendation.

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:06 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1212

Glad your Dad came thru well. I know this is hard on everyone that loves him.
Best wishes to all.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke0476 View Post
Great news, my father had multiple heart surgeries. I cannot honestly believe he lived as long as he did through them. Modern medicine is amazing and I am glad to hear he is doing well.

On a side note, I would not suggest reading these boards unless you are on drugs.

No doubt about modern meds and tech!

And @ the bold part

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
Is everything still going good, hope so, when my mom had it done she was very sore for a week, hurt to breathe.
Yeah pretty well actually and can breathe pretty easily with not much pain. 3-4 more days in hospital then 6-8 weeks taking it easy at home for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xs&Os View Post
A few comments for your Father to read, if he is viewing this board:
1) Nothing makes a person feel his age plus 10 years, than CABG.
2) Once the chest tube is removed and he is stabilized, he would have stepped out of the danger zone.
3) Based on some points that you have shared, I think he may have had a NSTEMI event, than a STEMI. If he had a NSTEMI, then the damage to his heart is not severe, generally.
4) The number of vessels bypassed, implies that he had multi-vessel disease. Seems obvious, but it means that the chest pain was not as a result of a severe rupture and subsequent complete blockage of one coronary artery, but rather blood flow decrease due to partial blockade of multiple vessel.
5) Your father is lucky in that he had the pain which prompted his ER visit and discovery of the issue.
6) Make sure that he rests without physical and emotional stress ( no football on TV ).
7) Must take his Aspirin and Antiplatelet religiously to prevent clotting of the new grafts.

My comments are meant only as suggestions for your Father to consider discussing with his CT Surgeon. Not as a recommendation.

Good luck!

Thanks for input buddy.