Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24306
bengals Re: Andre Smith rated no.1 right tackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
Theyre not just pulling it out their bums....This franchise historically doesnt have nice things for long. People are just afraid their favorite players want to play somewhere else. Cant blame them. Id like to see a study done whether or not the same part of your brain thatholds your emotions for how you feel about your favorite team, and favorite players, relates at all into the same part of the brain that deals with a girlfriend or a lover. I 1st thought that when Lebron left Cleveland, because ALOT of ppl were sincerely HURT. Its funny to me but I think it does connect at least a lil bit
You can read apparently so you just ignored where the point was backup with fact refuting the claim that has zero backing other than JJ.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19216
Default Re: Andre Smith rated no.1 right tackle

To everybody saying that he'll walk, we have to hit the salary floor next season and, as of back in March, only the Bucs need to spend more than us (4.9 million more), and the next team needs is 5 million below us, so we'll have lots of money to throw at him.

I doubt any other team will throw the kind of money at him that we will just because of the way he blew up after college and we have a lot of monety to spend.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2631

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
No it is not similar in the remotest sense. Other than it being FA.

There were serious question marks concerning the team and direction thanks to many peoples hero Carson Palmer. He created a situation of complete instability. JJ even stated that this has a role in his decision.

Those questions have been put to rest with the drafting of a real franchise QB. Houston as well was a team on the rise just as the Bengals are right now.

The franchise has a history of paying well for production. Especially on the oline. Ask Whit, Willie, Levi, Cook, Bobbie Williams, etc. people are trying to create a worry.
While I completely agree with this as far as when JJ was a FA, my problem with that situation is he would have easily signed an extension two years out, and we could have Franchise tagged him as well, we waited to long......and let a young top 10 CB in the NFL walk and got nothing in return.

The reason the situation is similar is because if we wait to long and he walks, we once again have no replacement of his caliber as a backup, then we will have to waste a pick and hope he plays great as a rookie.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post

BS, the Offense will not be fine without him.

You don't just replace Tackles like Andre Smith, that doesn't happen often.
Lol.

Having a Top 5 RT is a luxury.

Most teams don't spend high draft picks on RTs, unless they fail at LT first.

IMO the drop off would be felt but not nearly as bad as people think.

Collins would be more than serviceable and has been before.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 178

He didn't look the the number 1 RT when he faced Von miller lol he got powned
Old 12-07-2012, 01:04 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23546

Personally, I thought he was having a great year, but not #1 RT status. Up there, but not quite. Seeing him rated that high is good news. I'm glad that I wasn't right when I said that he would be a bust with this team. If not for his holdout and injuries, he could have been doing this a lot sooner. Here's hoping the Bengals lock him up for the next half decade soon. Having a dominant O-Line is the best way to keep the Offense productive, and he's got to be a big part of that looking forward.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:28 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9353

Nobody thought J Joe was gonna walk, and look what happened. Andre Smith has played up to his potential, although it took him two years to get there. We need to keep him and getting him signed sooner than later will help us focus on keeping other free agents. I know theres still football left to be played but the lack of movement by the front office on trying to keep some of our guys is disturbing.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4766

I suspect Andre wants to test the market and take the best offer. Bengals will probably franchise him, then use a high draft pick on an OT when he leaves.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37595

Quote:
Given his history it was a dicey situation at best. Fact. He will be re-signed along with MJ. Contrary to popular belief on these boards this franchise has a good history of paying performance and rewarding core players with good extensions.
Actually, that's fairly well acknowledged on these boards. What is also acknowledged, although not by you, is how this team is pretty much always top ten under the cap.
#1 seed in playoffs.
That's gonna happen.

The Patriots, Steelers and
Giants got fat while the Bengals
starved in the streets. It's our turn.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:53 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Cannon View Post
I suspect Andre wants to test the market and take the best offer. Bengals will probably franchise him, then use a high draft pick on an OT when he leaves.
Whats the price on a franchised OT?

Either him or MJ will get the tag next year.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:47 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunz View Post
He didn't look the the number 1 RT when he faced Von miller lol he got powned
Everyone gets owned when they play Von Miller.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 12-07-2012, 05:30 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night's Watch View Post
While I completely agree with this as far as when JJ was a FA, my problem with that situation is he would have easily signed an extension two years out, and we could have Franchise tagged him as well, we waited to long......and let a young top 10 CB in the NFL walk and got nothing in return.

The reason the situation is similar is because if we wait to long and he walks, we once again have no replacement of his caliber as a backup, then we will have to waste a pick and hope he plays great as a rookie.
Not sure why this is so hard to understand. History shows they pay guys that perform and pay them well. Everyone is using the JJ situation as a panic button without cause. Give me another player of that caliber we lost?

People will say Steinbach. Well you have to consider with him we hard just signed large extensions with Willie, Levi, and Bobbie. As well, thanks to Minnesota he was looking for Hutchinson money. He proved once he got to Cleveland he was not worth that kind of money.

Justin Smith? Nope not really. He did not play at the level here that he has at SF. All it has proven is that he is a better system fit for the 3-4.

TJ? Nope whether people like it or not he was looking to be the #1 guy. The deal he signed in Seattle was very close to the offer he had here but he thought he would be he man there. A self admitted bad choice by TJ. Even he has stated he should have stayed here.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:36 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
Actually, that's fairly well acknowledged on these boards. What is also acknowledged, although not by you, is how this team is pretty much always top ten under the cap.
First of all what is acknowledged on there boards? That given the history of Smith the option was dicey or that this team has a good history or re-signing and extending players for performance?

Secondly, when have I ever stated we do not have a bunch of money to spend? I will be waiting for you to show me where I stated this. Frankly, we are so far under the cap because there has not been much performance to reward. We are finally seeing a crop of young guys worthy of it. And are in perfect position for it.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post
Lol.

What is funny is how many of the people griping that they did not use the option on Smith are the same ones that were griping that we used such a high pick for a RT in the first place.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2631

Quote:
Not sure why this is so hard to understand. History shows they pay guys that perform and pay them well. Everyone is using the JJ situation as a panic button without cause. Give me another player of that caliber we lost?

People will say Steinbach. Well you have to consider with him we hard just signed large extensions with Willie, Levi, and Bobbie. As well, thanks to Minnesota he was looking for Hutchinson money. He proved once he got to Cleveland he was not worth that kind of money.

Justin Smith? Nope not really. He did not play at the level here that he has at SF. All it has proven is that he is a better system fit for the 3-4.

TJ? Nope whether people like it or not he was looking to be the #1 guy. The deal he signed in Seattle was very close to the offer he had here but he thought he would be he man there. A self admitted bad choice by TJ. Even he has stated he should have stayed here.
Nothing is hard to understand. I even said I get what your saying, I was just pointing out we had other opportunities to sign JJ before he hit FA. The reason JJ is referenced by a lot of people is because he is the most recent in this type of situation.

I am with you, I think they will do what they do to players that perform... sign Smith, sign MJ, extend Atkins, extend gresham, etc. We definitely have the cap space and next year, it will have to be used.....I keep looking for what we all are hoping for here soon as well, that they extend people soon, by frontloading or whatever to use the cap space left this year.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:03 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night's Watch View Post
Nothing is hard to understand. I even said I get what your saying, I was just pointing out we had other opportunities to sign JJ before he hit FA. The reason JJ is referenced by a lot of people is because he is the most recent in this type of situation.

I am with you, I think they will do what they do to players that perform... sign Smith, sign MJ, extend Atkins, extend gresham, etc. We definitely have the cap space and next year, it will have to be used.....I keep looking for what we all are hoping for here soon as well, that they extend people soon, by frontloading or whatever to use the cap space left this year.
I see what you are saying I just do not get the rational people are grasping for in citing the JJ situation as a reason of concern. It was an isolated incident the exception and not the rule. As well, it was not just about money. There were dynamics in play that do not apply now.

Straw gasping for reasons to worry is what it amounts to.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 848

Got to get the Smith deal done ASAP and should be the FO #1 priority. You cant let it get to the situation where he is talking to other teams......... because he will be gone quick fast and in a hurry.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post
Lol.

It is true that Collins would be serviceable, but the run game would suffer greatly if Andre left.

Andre is just coming into his own, bad time to let him go.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37595

Quote:
First of all what is acknowledged on there boards? That given the history of Smith the option was dicey or that this team has a good history or re-signing and extending players for performance?

Secondly, when have I ever stated we do not have a bunch of money to spend? I will be waiting for you to show me where I stated this. Frankly, we are so far under the cap because there has not been much performance to reward. We are finally seeing a crop of young guys worthy of it. And are in perfect position for it.
Most are aware that the Bengals do extend their own who deserve most of the time, but I guess Jjoe fell through the cracks. Of course you can't directly state that the Bengals don't have a bunch of money under the cap, becuz they do, like always.

It did seem a bit spin-tastic to say "contrary to popular belief" when referring to the board consensus about how this team spends it's money. Because the popular belief isn't that we don't extend guys, people do acknowledge that so it's misleading to say that. Now what is "popular belief" or more like a known fact, is that we always stay well under the cap.
#1 seed in playoffs.
That's gonna happen.

The Patriots, Steelers and
Giants got fat while the Bengals
starved in the streets. It's our turn.

Last edited by savagehenry54; 12-07-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3955

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Whats the price on a franchised OT?

Either him or MJ will get the tag next year.
Yuck. Those are two of the 3 worst positions to franchise tag. And those two aren't top 5 at their positions IMO. I still believe it's based on top 5 tackles, not right tackles...meaning it'll be more than it's worth.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41555

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
Yuck. Those are two of the 3 worst positions to franchise tag. And those two aren't top 5 at their positions IMO. I still believe it's based on top 5 tackles, not right tackles...meaning it'll be more than it's worth.
Probably best to use it on the kicker again.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post

It is true that Collins would be serviceable, but the run game would suffer greatly if Andre left.

Andre is just coming into his own, bad time to let him go.
The question is how much do the Bengals budget for him and are they willing to continue paying him as the highest paid RT in the game?

Also, how will this work with some of the defensive guys contracts coming up?

If I'm building a team to sustain success I would bypass the huge contract for the RT and pay the pass rushers.

Especially if I have a suitable replacement.

I'm not saying that Collins is anywhere near the caliber of Smith, I'm saying that Collins is good enough.

The Bengals should have enough cap space to re-sign the guys they want.

The penchant for them to be well under the cap every year forces me to wonder if they will.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:37 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
I seriously wonder though if MJ warrants the money he will want. I still think we should let MJ walk go DE in the 1st round in order to conserve money for huys like Geno, AJ, Dalton, Gresham.
I agree with all except Gresham. TEs are a dime a dozen it seems now, and he has looked super slow IMO this season. Not saying let him walk but don't let him keep us from making a big addition or keeper
Old 12-07-2012, 10:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23720

Pay him what he wants. These guys die young. Average lifespan of NFL lineman is 52.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:50 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2245

Smith and Zeitler are the only two OL on the Bengals team that i would keep. Upgrade the rest of the OL.