Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6471
Default Pearl Harbor Day

We Shall Never Forget!

Today is Pearl Harbor Day. A lot can be written about the event, the hero's who fell, the war that ensued, and what took place on that fateful day, December 7, 1941. What often gets less attention is how that event, and the subsequent war that was fought, helped shape the world we live in and have grown up in today. Most all of us know we owe our freedom to the veterans of World War Two, and many of us think of them as hero's all. But the economic prosperity and much of today's technology was a direct result of the accomplishments of what many have referred to as "Our Greatest Generation."

So today, let's not forget that and if you know a World War Two veteran, or have the honor to have one in your family, or if on your job today you have a chance to interact with a WWII veteran, for all of us and for all of them; thank them for their service. We would not have the lives we lead today, if not for what they did.

All gave some, and some gave all.

Lady Columbia, Honolulu Memorial at the National Memorial Cemetery, Honolulu, Hawaii

October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Last edited by Sher Khan; 12-07-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:27 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17877
Default Re: Pearl Harbor Day

These dudes are still more badass than any of us could ever even dream of being.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31399

Thank you for all your services veterans!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

To all who have served, are serving, or will serve.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27472

To our Veterans...

You'll never be forgotten.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7039

On this day, I salute my Brother in Arms and my uncle who went ashore the beach at Normandy. Who, was shot through his jaws, lost all his teeth, but came home alive. Who is the luckiest man to ever walk the face of the earth. Who felt the sting of battle, who felt the sting of being shot, who felt the joy of going home, who felt the happiness of final victory.

I thank you for you service.

And to all my Brothers in Arms out there, thank you for your service.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
On this day, I salute my Brother in Arms and my uncle who went ashore the beach at Normandy. Who, was shot through his jaws, lost all his teeth, but came home alive. Who is the luckiest man to ever walk the face of the earth. Who felt the sting of battle, who felt the sting of being shot, who felt the joy of going home, who felt the happiness of final victory.

I thank you for you service.

And to all my Brothers in Arms out there, thank you for your service.
Thanks Neb for sharing those stories. Today is a day to be very proud of any family member who has served in the military at any time, anywhere.

Turn the clock back to 1941, 71 years ago and in one hour EST our Naval Base in Honolulu will be attacked. At this moment in time, their planes are flying to Pearl Harbor. That's something to reflect upon. As I am typing this, it is 7:05 am in Hawaii. So in just fifty minutes, at 7:55 am, Honolulu time today, the first Japanese dive bomber will appear out of the clouds over Oahu.

This link kind of made me think also.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/tim...a/hawaii-time/

Just staring at it with Honolulu time on it, on this day as it is emblazzoned above the time makes you think

I lost a cousin who I never knew in that war. He was on a destroyer AA gun mount off Okinawa, and was killed when a Kamakazi flew directly into his position on the ship. He was never found and was listed as MIA until eventually declared KIA by the Navy. I have always wished him Godspeed.

Today, every serviceman or servicewoman who has ever wore our uniforms should be thanked for their service.

October 24, 1937

Last edited by Sher Khan; 12-07-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
We Shall Never Forget!

Today is Pearl Harbor Day. A lot can be written about the event, the hero's who fell, the war that ensued, and what took place on that fateful day, December 7, 1941. What often gets less attention is how that event, and the subsequent war that was fought, helped shape the world we live in and have grown up in today. Most all of us know we owe our freedom to the veterans of World War Two, and many of us think of them as hero's all. But the economic prosperity and much of today's technology was a direct result of the accomplishments of what many have referred to as "Our Greatest Generation."

So today, let's not forget that and if you know a World War Two veteran, or have the honor to have one in your family, or if on your job today you have a chance to interact with a WWII veteran, for all of us and for all of them; thank them for their service. We would not have the lives we lead today, if not for what they did.

All gave some, and some gave all.

Lady Columbia, Honolulu Memorial at the National Memorial Cemetery, Honolulu, Hawaii

I went up and punched one of our engineers in the arm earlier today and he was like "what the hell was that for" I said that's for Pearl Harbor! He replied "You #^%&* idiot I'm Korean not Japanese" and I said "I know, but we don't have any Japanese that work here so you will have to do." He called me an a-hole and chuckled.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2657

Excellent post sk. Thanks to any and all vets out there. Your service is very much appreciated.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy View Post
I went up and punched one of our engineers in the arm earlier today and he was like "what the hell was that for" I said that's for Pearl Harbor! He replied "You #^%&* idiot I'm Korean not Japanese" and I said "I know, but we don't have any Japanese that work here so you will have to do." He called me an a-hole and chuckled.
Ha! Man them guys don't get along with the Japanese at all. They have long memories and had to put up with the Japanese Occupation of Korea. But that was funny.

October 24, 1937

Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

A new and previously unpublished eyewitness account of the Bombing of Pearl Harbor.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...harbor-attack/

October 24, 1937

Last edited by Sher Khan; 12-07-2012 at 04:55 PM.