Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,672
Rep Points: 7353
Default Pearl Harbor Day

We Shall Never Forget!

Today is Pearl Harbor Day. A lot can be written about the event, the hero's who fell, the war that ensued, and what took place on that fateful day, December 7, 1941. What often gets less attention is how that event, and the subsequent war that was fought, helped shape the world we live in and have grown up in today. Most all of us know we owe our freedom to the veterans of World War Two, and many of us think of them as hero's all. But the economic prosperity and much of today's technology was a direct result of the accomplishments of what many have referred to as "Our Greatest Generation."

So today, let's not forget that and if you know a World War Two veteran, or have the honor to have one in your family, or if on your job today you have a chance to interact with a WWII veteran, for all of us and for all of them; thank them for their service. We would not have the lives we lead today, if not for what they did.

All gave some, and some gave all.

Lady Columbia, Honolulu Memorial at the National Memorial Cemetery, Honolulu, Hawaii

__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals


Last edited by Sher Khan; 12-07-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Steeler Eater's Avatar
Steeler Eater Steeler Eater is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: I got this
Posts: 12,477
Rep Points: 18407
Default Re: Pearl Harbor Day

These dudes are still more badass than any of us could ever even dream of being.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Magikod's Avatar
Magikod Magikod is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 25,754
Rep Points: 33459
Default Re: Pearl Harbor Day

Thank you for all your services veterans!
__________________
Video Games I Play: Starcraft 2, Counter-Strike:GO, Elder Scrolls Online.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 AM
RumbleCat RumbleCat is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,017
Rep Points: 6467
Default Re: Pearl Harbor Day


To all who have served, are serving, or will serve.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LV-426
Posts: 35,954
Rep Points: 36244
Default Re: Pearl Harbor Day

To our Veterans...

You'll never be forgotten.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Nebuchadnezzar is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,648
Rep Points: 8974
Default Re: Pearl Harbor Day

On this day, I salute my Brother in Arms and my uncle who went ashore the beach at Normandy. Who, was shot through his jaws, lost all his teeth, but came home alive. Who is the luckiest man to ever walk the face of the earth. Who felt the sting of battle, who felt the sting of being shot, who felt the joy of going home, who felt the happiness of final victory.

I thank you for you service.

And to all my Brothers in Arms out there, thank you for your service.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,672
Rep Points: 7353
Default Re: Pearl Harbor Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
On this day, I salute my Brother in Arms and my uncle who went ashore the beach at Normandy. Who, was shot through his jaws, lost all his teeth, but came home alive. Who is the luckiest man to ever walk the face of the earth. Who felt the sting of battle, who felt the sting of being shot, who felt the joy of going home, who felt the happiness of final victory.

I thank you for you service.

And to all my Brothers in Arms out there, thank you for your service.
Thanks Neb for sharing those stories. Today is a day to be very proud of any family member who has served in the military at any time, anywhere.

Turn the clock back to 1941, 71 years ago and in one hour EST our Naval Base in Honolulu will be attacked. At this moment in time, their planes are flying to Pearl Harbor. That's something to reflect upon. As I am typing this, it is 7:05 am in Hawaii. So in just fifty minutes, at 7:55 am, Honolulu time today, the first Japanese dive bomber will appear out of the clouds over Oahu.

This link kind of made me think also.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/tim...a/hawaii-time/

Just staring at it with Honolulu time on it, on this day as it is emblazzoned above the time makes you think

I lost a cousin who I never knew in that war. He was on a destroyer AA gun mount off Okinawa, and was killed when a Kamakazi flew directly into his position on the ship. He was never found and was listed as MIA until eventually declared KIA by the Navy. I have always wished him Godspeed.

Today, every serviceman or servicewoman who has ever wore our uniforms should be thanked for their service.
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals


Last edited by Sher Khan; 12-07-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:15 PM
crispy's Avatar
crispy crispy is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Findlay, Oh
Posts: 2,555
Rep Points: 11117
Default Re: Pearl Harbor Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
We Shall Never Forget!

Today is Pearl Harbor Day. A lot can be written about the event, the hero's who fell, the war that ensued, and what took place on that fateful day, December 7, 1941. What often gets less attention is how that event, and the subsequent war that was fought, helped shape the world we live in and have grown up in today. Most all of us know we owe our freedom to the veterans of World War Two, and many of us think of them as hero's all. But the economic prosperity and much of today's technology was a direct result of the accomplishments of what many have referred to as "Our Greatest Generation."

So today, let's not forget that and if you know a World War Two veteran, or have the honor to have one in your family, or if on your job today you have a chance to interact with a WWII veteran, for all of us and for all of them; thank them for their service. We would not have the lives we lead today, if not for what they did.

All gave some, and some gave all.

Lady Columbia, Honolulu Memorial at the National Memorial Cemetery, Honolulu, Hawaii

I went up and punched one of our engineers in the arm earlier today and he was like "what the hell was that for" I said that's for Pearl Harbor! He replied "You #^%&* idiot I'm Korean not Japanese" and I said "I know, but we don't have any Japanese that work here so you will have to do." He called me an a-hole and chuckled.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Ben zoo 2 Ben zoo 2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In your head
Posts: 1,302
Rep Points: 2657
Default Re: Pearl Harbor Day

Excellent post sk. Thanks to any and all vets out there. Your service is very much appreciated.
__________________
Can't we all just get along?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,672
Rep Points: 7353
Default Re: Pearl Harbor Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy View Post
I went up and punched one of our engineers in the arm earlier today and he was like "what the hell was that for" I said that's for Pearl Harbor! He replied "You #^%&* idiot I'm Korean not Japanese" and I said "I know, but we don't have any Japanese that work here so you will have to do." He called me an a-hole and chuckled.
Ha! Man them guys don't get along with the Japanese at all. They have long memories and had to put up with the Japanese Occupation of Korea. But that was funny.
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,672
Rep Points: 7353
Default Re: Pearl Harbor Day

A new and previously unpublished eyewitness account of the Bombing of Pearl Harbor.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...harbor-attack/
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals


Last edited by Sher Khan; 12-07-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.