Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Save Cook for Philly

I don't expect Kyle Cook to start against Dallas, but Philly would be an ideal situation. We have a short week with the Thursday night game. You can suit up a fresh, rested Kyle Cook against some worn down D-linemen near the end of the season on a short week.

I doubt you would play him his week and bring him back with three days rest when he has yet to play a down.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 AM
FRAv's Avatar
FRAv FRAv is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dayton, Oh
Posts: 302
Rep Points: 714
bengals Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
I don't expect Kyle Cook to start against Dallas, but Philly would be an ideal situation. We have a short week with the Thursday night game. You can suit up a fresh, rested Kyle Cook against some worn down D-linemen near the end of the season on a short week.

I doubt you would play him his week and bring him back with three days rest when he has yet to play a down.
It seems to me the old addage, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it,' should apply here. Cincinnati has been running the ball extremely well lately and the chemistry amongst the o-line, Dalton, and BJGE is really taking hold. Is it worth risking that to bring Cook back in? Who knows how that would play out. Robinson is clearly holding his own right now. I think you ride him out the rest of the season. Having Cook play in the Eagles game wouldn't be much of a test of where he's truly at either, because Philadelphia's defense is so terrible.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 10,114
Rep Points: 23268
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Robinson's the starting center as far as I'm concerned. He's done great job, and he's only going to get better. Cook's a great backup, but let the kid play. He's done nothing to lead me to want to replace him. Look at how young our OLine is. We can be very good for a long time if Marvin and Paul A. just leave it alone.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 AM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 34,436
Rep Points: 33476
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Robinson's the starting center as far as I'm concerned. He's done great job, and he's only going to get better. Cook's a great backup, but let the kid play. He's done nothing to lead me to want to replace him. Look at how young our OLine is. We can be very good for a long time if Marvin and Paul A. just leave it alone.
Exactly.... this line is the best its been right now in the last 8 years... sorry cook.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Go Cards's Avatar
Go Cards Go Cards is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thrash of the Titans
Posts: 4,064
Rep Points: 11821
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Lots of starting positions have been lost due to injuries. Cook may be the victim of this it appears.

Agree with others. Would not change a thing while the machine is running so smoothly.

But either way, we now know we have an adequate back up center.
__________________
14+18+25+85+82+12+84+32+42+77+71 x 97's Defense = Super Bowl Champions.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Slappy from New Haven's Avatar
Slappy from New Haven Slappy from New Haven is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Cackalaky
Posts: 12,483
Rep Points: 17290
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Leave cook on the bench
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 AM
yellowxdiscipline's Avatar
yellowxdiscipline yellowxdiscipline is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cincy
Posts: 8,442
Rep Points: 8939
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Well we cant really expect to go into Sundays game with only one center. Cook will be activated before then, and only see action in case of a Robinson injury.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:43 PM
thompson19osu thompson19osu is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,516
Rep Points: 2966
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
I don't expect Kyle Cook to start against Dallas, but Philly would be an ideal situation. We have a short week with the Thursday night game. You can suit up a fresh, rested Kyle Cook against some worn down D-linemen near the end of the season on a short week.

I doubt you would play him his week and bring him back with three days rest when he has yet to play a down.
Save him for next year when he can be Robinson's backup.

The coaching staff will start him eventually at some point this year but the good news is the staff knows if he doesn't perform well they can yank him for a guy they know will produce. I'm really starting to like this young kid and it's no coincidence Green Ellis has 3 straight 100 yard rushing games.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:47 PM
BengalRugby's Avatar
BengalRugby BengalRugby is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Living in your head
Posts: 11,447
Rep Points: 22383
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Save Cook for in case Robinson gets hurt or needs a breather. Other than that, Kyle can ride the pine.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 PM
degolfisfun degolfisfun is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 368
Rep Points: 357
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Well we cant really expect to go into Sundays game with only one center. Cook will be activated before then, and only see action in case of a Robinson injury.
I think you are probably right. Cook will be activated (IMO) and will dress. Think we have dressed all 8 OL every game this year. Going with 7 just seems too big of risk to me.

The next question is whose roster spot does Cook take? I think we actually have to cut someone, rather than transfer someone to the Practice Squad. Probably an Offensive player too. Logical candidate would be Binns. But I wouldn't rule out it being Iloka, the 3rd string Safety. Either way, if we want Binns/Iloka back, we're probably going to have to sweat out other teams picking them up through most of next week until Nugent comes back (and we cut Brown.) Kind of a shame risking young "talent" but it is the price to pay for choosing to carry 2 kickers for 1-2 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:04 PM
victor24 victor24 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 2,104
Rep Points: 2747
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
Leave cook on the bench
Considering that the Coaching staff (Paul Alexander) saved the season by developing an undrafted college FA at Center, Rookie Guard and (originally) 2nd string 2nd year Guard to bring life to a dead running game, I'm good with whoever lines up at this point.
__________________
You Shall Not Pass!!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by degolfisfun View Post
I think you are probably right. Cook will be activated (IMO) and will dress. Think we have dressed all 8 OL every game this year. Going with 7 just seems too big of risk to me.

The next question is whose roster spot does Cook take? I think we actually have to cut someone, rather than transfer someone to the Practice Squad. Probably an Offensive player too. Logical candidate would be Binns. But I wouldn't rule out it being Iloka, the 3rd string Safety. Either way, if we want Binns/Iloka back, we're probably going to have to sweat out other teams picking them up through most of next week until Nugent comes back (and we cut Brown.) Kind of a shame risking young "talent" but it is the price to pay for choosing to carry 2 kickers for 1-2 weeks.
Richard Quinn
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Save Cook for in case Robinson gets hurt or needs a breather. Other than that, Kyle can ride the pine.
Cook will be the starter when he is ready. And the bengals will need him to start if they make the playoffs.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:31 PM
tcholas's Avatar
tcholas tcholas is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 286
Rep Points: 289
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Save Cook for the bench!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:44 PM
BengalTrucker's Avatar
BengalTrucker BengalTrucker is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hiding in my bunker locked and loaded.
Posts: 7,320
Rep Points: 16671
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor24 View Post
Considering that the Coaching staff (Paul Alexander) saved the season by developing an undrafted college FA at Center, Rookie Guard and (originally) 2nd string 2nd year Guard to bring life to a dead running game, I'm good with whoever lines up at this point.
Yeah, Right.

Robinson came in never having had one play at Center, and did as well, or out preformed Cook from day one.

Alexander did that, Oh wait Alexander had him as a OG, and Robison only played Center, because Boling was starting and Cook was injuried.

The very first preseason game Robinson played, several here noticed he got to the second level and played with a mean streak. Alexander still had Faine playing ahead of Robinson, even when hurt and playing like crap.

If you want to see who saved this O line look at Whitworth. He showed Smith how to be a pro, he helped Bloing as a rookie and in the off year, he has showed Zeitler how to be a pro.
Alexander is being made to look good, by the hard work and leadership of Andrew Whitworth.
__________________
"The Greatest Danger to American Freedom is a Government that Ignores the Constitution"
Thomas Jefferson

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president

Last edited by BengalTrucker; 12-07-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: missed spelled stuff
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
Yeah, Right.

Robinson came in never having had one play at Center, and did as well, or out preformed Cook from day one.

Alexander did that, Oh wait Alexander had him as a OG, and Robison only played Center, because Boling was starting and Cook was injuried.

The very first preseason game Robinson played, several here noticed he got to the second level and played with a mean streak. Alexander still had Faine playing ahead of Robinson, even when hurt and playing like crap.

If you want to see who saved this O line look at Whitworth. He showed Smith how to be a pro, he helped Bloing as a rookie and in the off year, he has showed Zeitler how to be a pro.
Alexander is being made to look good, by the hard work and leadership of Andrew Whitworth.
I didn't know it was possible for an individual to be as full of crap is this. Maybe he dumbest post of all time.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 PM
claudebrown's Avatar
claudebrown claudebrown is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 72
Rep Points: 85
bengals Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson19osu View Post
Save him for next year when he can be Robinson's backup.

The coaching staff will start him eventually at some point this year but the good news is the staff knows if he doesn't perform well they can yank him for a guy they know will produce. I'm really starting to like this young kid and it's no coincidence Green Ellis has 3 straight 100 yard rushing games.
66,68,71=300yrds + rushing !!! who dey!!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 PM
tcholas's Avatar
tcholas tcholas is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 286
Rep Points: 289
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudebrown View Post
66,68,71=300yrds + rushing !!! who dey!!!
I didn't get it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:48 PM
SunsetBengal's Avatar
SunsetBengal SunsetBengal is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sunset Beach, NC
Posts: 15,547
Rep Points: 45691
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

I would say you almost HAVE to leave Robinson in, at this point. He is the "hot hand", so to speak. He's playing very well, the OL is getting some continuity and working really well together of late. I totally respect Cook, and what he has contributed to the OL, but for now you gotta let him sit. Let him get some reps, spell Robinson and work his game legs back under him.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 PM
The Noob Avenger's Avatar
The Noob Avenger The Noob Avenger is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Newark, Ohio
Posts: 4,551
Rep Points: 31089
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Seems like Cook may have gotten Kaepernick'd
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-08-2012, 01:55 AM
thompson19osu thompson19osu is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,516
Rep Points: 2966
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcholas View Post
I didn't get it.
That would be the numbers of 3 Bengals linemen.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 AM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,049
Rep Points: 2754
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Robinson's the starting center as far as I'm concerned. He's done great job, and he's only going to get better. Cook's a great backup, but let the kid play. He's done nothing to lead me to want to replace him. Look at how young our OLine is. We can be very good for a long time if Marvin and Paul A. just leave it alone.
Yes what you said, and please resign Andre wish we would have picked up that last year of his contract.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 AM
D.Boon's Avatar
D.Boon D.Boon is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,184
Rep Points: 2759
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Robinson has earned the right to lose his job through poor performance. Not because Kyle Cook comes back from IR. Kid was put in a very difficult spot and not only answered, he's gotten better each week.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 AM
Go Cards's Avatar
Go Cards Go Cards is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thrash of the Titans
Posts: 4,064
Rep Points: 11821
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Cook will be the starter when he is ready. And the bengals will need him to start if they make the playoffs.


Bump
__________________
14+18+25+85+82+12+84+32+42+77+71 x 97's Defense = Super Bowl Champions.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cards View Post
Bump
Told ya he would be the starter.

Never doubt me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.