Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595
Default Save Cook for Philly

I don't expect Kyle Cook to start against Dallas, but Philly would be an ideal situation. We have a short week with the Thursday night game. You can suit up a fresh, rested Kyle Cook against some worn down D-linemen near the end of the season on a short week.

I doubt you would play him his week and bring him back with three days rest when he has yet to play a down.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714
bengals Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
I don't expect Kyle Cook to start against Dallas, but Philly would be an ideal situation. We have a short week with the Thursday night game. You can suit up a fresh, rested Kyle Cook against some worn down D-linemen near the end of the season on a short week.

I doubt you would play him his week and bring him back with three days rest when he has yet to play a down.
It seems to me the old addage, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it,' should apply here. Cincinnati has been running the ball extremely well lately and the chemistry amongst the o-line, Dalton, and BJGE is really taking hold. Is it worth risking that to bring Cook back in? Who knows how that would play out. Robinson is clearly holding his own right now. I think you ride him out the rest of the season. Having Cook play in the Eagles game wouldn't be much of a test of where he's truly at either, because Philadelphia's defense is so terrible.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23268
Default Re: Save Cook for Philly

Robinson's the starting center as far as I'm concerned. He's done great job, and he's only going to get better. Cook's a great backup, but let the kid play. He's done nothing to lead me to want to replace him. Look at how young our OLine is. We can be very good for a long time if Marvin and Paul A. just leave it alone.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Robinson's the starting center as far as I'm concerned. He's done great job, and he's only going to get better. Cook's a great backup, but let the kid play. He's done nothing to lead me to want to replace him. Look at how young our OLine is. We can be very good for a long time if Marvin and Paul A. just leave it alone.
Exactly.... this line is the best its been right now in the last 8 years... sorry cook.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11821

Lots of starting positions have been lost due to injuries. Cook may be the victim of this it appears.

Agree with others. Would not change a thing while the machine is running so smoothly.

But either way, we now know we have an adequate back up center.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17290

Leave cook on the bench
Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8939

Well we cant really expect to go into Sundays game with only one center. Cook will be activated before then, and only see action in case of a Robinson injury.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2966

Quote:

Save him for next year when he can be Robinson's backup.

The coaching staff will start him eventually at some point this year but the good news is the staff knows if he doesn't perform well they can yank him for a guy they know will produce. I'm really starting to like this young kid and it's no coincidence Green Ellis has 3 straight 100 yard rushing games.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22383

Save Cook for in case Robinson gets hurt or needs a breather. Other than that, Kyle can ride the pine.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Well we cant really expect to go into Sundays game with only one center. Cook will be activated before then, and only see action in case of a Robinson injury.
I think you are probably right. Cook will be activated (IMO) and will dress. Think we have dressed all 8 OL every game this year. Going with 7 just seems too big of risk to me.

The next question is whose roster spot does Cook take? I think we actually have to cut someone, rather than transfer someone to the Practice Squad. Probably an Offensive player too. Logical candidate would be Binns. But I wouldn't rule out it being Iloka, the 3rd string Safety. Either way, if we want Binns/Iloka back, we're probably going to have to sweat out other teams picking them up through most of next week until Nugent comes back (and we cut Brown.) Kind of a shame risking young "talent" but it is the price to pay for choosing to carry 2 kickers for 1-2 weeks.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2747

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
Leave cook on the bench
Considering that the Coaching staff (Paul Alexander) saved the season by developing an undrafted college FA at Center, Rookie Guard and (originally) 2nd string 2nd year Guard to bring life to a dead running game, I'm good with whoever lines up at this point.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by degolfisfun View Post
I think you are probably right. Cook will be activated (IMO) and will dress. Think we have dressed all 8 OL every game this year. Going with 7 just seems too big of risk to me.

The next question is whose roster spot does Cook take? I think we actually have to cut someone, rather than transfer someone to the Practice Squad. Probably an Offensive player too. Logical candidate would be Binns. But I wouldn't rule out it being Iloka, the 3rd string Safety. Either way, if we want Binns/Iloka back, we're probably going to have to sweat out other teams picking them up through most of next week until Nugent comes back (and we cut Brown.) Kind of a shame risking young "talent" but it is the price to pay for choosing to carry 2 kickers for 1-2 weeks.
Richard Quinn
Old 12-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Save Cook for in case Robinson gets hurt or needs a breather. Other than that, Kyle can ride the pine.
Cook will be the starter when he is ready. And the bengals will need him to start if they make the playoffs.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 289

Save Cook for the bench!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor24 View Post
Considering that the Coaching staff (Paul Alexander) saved the season by developing an undrafted college FA at Center, Rookie Guard and (originally) 2nd string 2nd year Guard to bring life to a dead running game, I'm good with whoever lines up at this point.
Yeah, Right.

Robinson came in never having had one play at Center, and did as well, or out preformed Cook from day one.

Alexander did that, Oh wait Alexander had him as a OG, and Robison only played Center, because Boling was starting and Cook was injuried.

The very first preseason game Robinson played, several here noticed he got to the second level and played with a mean streak. Alexander still had Faine playing ahead of Robinson, even when hurt and playing like crap.

If you want to see who saved this O line look at Whitworth. He showed Smith how to be a pro, he helped Bloing as a rookie and in the off year, he has showed Zeitler how to be a pro.
Alexander is being made to look good, by the hard work and leadership of Andrew Whitworth.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president

Last edited by BengalTrucker; 12-07-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: missed spelled stuff
Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
Yeah, Right.

Robinson came in never having had one play at Center, and did as well, or out preformed Cook from day one.

Alexander did that, Oh wait Alexander had him as a OG, and Robison only played Center, because Boling was starting and Cook was injuried.

The very first preseason game Robinson played, several here noticed he got to the second level and played with a mean streak. Alexander still had Faine playing ahead of Robinson, even when hurt and playing like crap.

If you want to see who saved this O line look at Whitworth. He showed Smith how to be a pro, he helped Bloing as a rookie and in the off year, he has showed Zeitler how to be a pro.
Alexander is being made to look good, by the hard work and leadership of Andrew Whitworth.
I didn't know it was possible for an individual to be as full of crap is this. Maybe he dumbest post of all time.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 85
bengals Re: Save Cook for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson19osu View Post
Save him for next year when he can be Robinson's backup.

The coaching staff will start him eventually at some point this year but the good news is the staff knows if he doesn't perform well they can yank him for a guy they know will produce. I'm really starting to like this young kid and it's no coincidence Green Ellis has 3 straight 100 yard rushing games.
66,68,71=300yrds + rushing !!! who dey!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudebrown View Post
66,68,71=300yrds + rushing !!! who dey!!!
I didn't get it.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 45691

I would say you almost HAVE to leave Robinson in, at this point. He is the "hot hand", so to speak. He's playing very well, the OL is getting some continuity and working really well together of late. I totally respect Cook, and what he has contributed to the OL, but for now you gotta let him sit. Let him get some reps, spell Robinson and work his game legs back under him.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 31089

Seems like Cook may have gotten Kaepernick'd
Old 12-08-2012, 01:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2966

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcholas View Post
I didn't get it.
That would be the numbers of 3 Bengals linemen.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Yes what you said, and please resign Andre wish we would have picked up that last year of his contract.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Robinson has earned the right to lose his job through poor performance. Not because Kyle Cook comes back from IR. Kid was put in a very difficult spot and not only answered, he's gotten better each week.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11821

Quote:
Cook will be the starter when he is ready. And the bengals will need him to start if they make the playoffs.

Bump
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cards View Post
Bump
Told ya he would be the starter.

Never doubt me.