Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17124
Default Well Palmer just pulled a ......

Palmer.

Held the ball too long

Glad to be rid of him
Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32051
Default Re: Well Palmer just pulled a ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
Palmer.

Held the ball too long

Glad to be rid of him
Had all the Tools..

Never seemed to have the Fire

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 0

Palmer has no weapons with Raiders.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5029

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKracing21 View Post
Palmer has no weapons with Raiders.
He had plenty of weapons with the bengals jr. Palmer is just a dud
Old 12-07-2012, 06:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsofsteel View Post
He had plenty of weapons with the bengals jr. Palmer is just a dud
A dud? Over 25k yards, 189tds, 2 division titles, 2 Pro-Bowls, and setting a bunch of Bengals passing records. He may not be great, but he's certainly not a dud. Oh, and after 2007 he had virtually zero offensive weapons.

I'm not going to go into it for the 1000000th time, but the losing seasons weren't all on him, and he was really only a "bad" QB in 2010.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5029

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
A dud? Over 25k yards, 189tds, 2 division titles, 2 Pro-Bowls, and setting a bunch of Bengals passing records. He may not be great, but he's certainly not a dud. Oh, and after 2007 he had virtually zero offensive weapons.

I'm not going to go into it for the 1000000th time, but the losing seasons weren't all on him, and he was really only a "bad" QB in 2010.
Yes you are right. He is not a dud. I should of put it in perspective better. I meant in terms of being a upper tier to elite QB. He is QB in the nfl with decent stats and became a mufti-millionaire because of it. There aren't too many people in the world that can claim that. He has shown flashes of greatness at times but it seems that when it really counted he fizzled out. IMHO. Great QB's make players around them better, maybe not, I don't know.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsofsteel View Post
Yes you are right. He is not a dud. I should of put it in perspective better. I meant in terms of being a upper tier to elite QB. He is QB in the nfl with decent stats and became a mufti-millionaire because of it. There aren't too many people in the world that can claim that. He has shown flashes of greatness at times but it seems that when it really counted he fizzled out. IMHO. Great QB's make players around them better, maybe not, I don't know.
I agree with all of that. Palmer isn't an elite QB, and in retrospect he really never was, but he was a great QB for his first few seasons. It's really not his fault the Oline deteriorated(which was a direct cause of his elbow injury), the defense could no longer stop anybody OR create turnovers, the running game went to crap(07,08,10 it was really bad), and his All-Pro receiver suddenly decided to focus more on his own fame than the game of football.

All of the same things are happening to him now in Oakland: bad line, no running game, bad defense, inconsistent receivers, bad OC. Should a decent amount of blame be put on him for his lack of success? Sure, but if you look at things objectively, he's also one of the most unlucky QBs in recent history. If you look at most of the QBs drafted around the same time as him +-5years, most of them have at least one thing in common: great coach, great defense, great running game, great recevier/s.

-Peyton had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne in Indy. Now he has a great defense in Denver. He himself is one of the best QBs in history, but without that great D, they would have lost a couple more games at least.

-Brady has Belichick. He also had Corey Dillion when he won his 2nd SB, not to mention a great defense most of the time he's played in NE. He's also a great QB in his own right, but when he went down in 08 with an ACL tear, Matt Cassel stepped in and led the team to an 11-5 record.

-When Rodgers won the SB, he had a defense that led the league in turnovers, and a variety of receivers that never seemed to drop passes. Like Brady and Peyton, he's an elite QB in his own right, but how many wins would he have if not for great hands catchers and a decent defense?

-Brees is another guy who's kind of a mix between Brady and Rodgers. He's got the great coach Sean Peyton, and he's got great receivers. The year they won the SB he also had a great running game.

There are a few others, but you get the idea. The guys that look like they make everybody better really aren't doing all that much. They're usually in great situations, surrounded by great coaches and/or great players.