Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10585
Default Re: Lack of Contract Extensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wt View Post
My guess is that they tried.

But MJ put in a LOT of work in the offseason and was probably banking on raising his value - which he has. If I was his agent that's what I would have counseled.

And if I'm his agent and I'm approached by the Bengals I'm going to throw a pretty high projection if they are talking signing early.
Maybe we have not re-signed him for that very reason.

Dude is using getting a bump in pay as motivation. Who's to say if we give it to him now he want begin to take it easy?

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 12-08-2012, 01:32 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
Maybe we have not re-signed him for that very reason.

Dude is using getting a bump in pay as motivation. Who's to say if we give it to him now he want begin to take it easy?
I also fear he may be getting a Ray Edwards-bump from Geno on the inside.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24492
bengals Re: Lack of Contract Extensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
It is a little disturbing that no contracts have been extended recently. We have the cap space to absorb front loaded deals starting this year.

While it's thought on the forum that the Bengals do a decent job of retaining their own, I would argue that it breaks down to they do a good job extending their own. When guys hit free agency though and the bidding wars start, all bets are off...and that is how the Bengals lose guys like Joseph.

Plus, when you give extensions, you generally get a player for a better rate.

In many ways, we're in unchartered territory. Our drafts were generally so bad that we didn't have many guys worth extending. Now we have several. Evidence of the bad drafts are that we only have about 4 players on the roster who were drafted by the Bengals in 2007 or before. 4! (Geathers, Whitworth, Peko, and Hall)

DE's get overpaid in free agency. A young guy like MJ is going to be hard to keep once the bidding warss start...which is why we should have extended him this season. Same with Andre Smith.
It is not unusual for it not to happen during the season. I have heard that MJ's agent has been contacted about getting a deal done.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wt View Post
My guess is that they tried.

But MJ put in a LOT of work in the offseason and was probably banking on raising his value - which he has. If I was his agent that's what I would have counseled.

And if I'm his agent and I'm approached by the Bengals I'm going to throw a pretty high projection if they are talking signing early.
What worries about about this type of player....like Andre Smith....is their "ability" to turn it on and improve during their contract year. Get said contract and then flat line or underperform thereafter.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:08 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20726

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Which isn't really a big deal if we resign Geno.

A player's dollar value to a team is what he can do inside the system and with the other guys around him. For example, Lamarr Woodley is a great player, but he has a comparitively low dollar value to the Bengals because he doesn't fit in our defensive scheme and we would get nowhere near the production out of him that the Steelers currently do. We know what MJ can do in our scheme with the guys around him.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
From a production standpoint, his stats have improved every year. He dropped from 3 sacks his rookie year to 2.5 in his second year, but his tackle total more than doubled with 15 more solo stops. He had 6 sacks last year with a 7 tackle increase. You would have to say that MJ has steadily improved.
It's a fair thing to point out that his jump from 2.5 sacks to 6 sacks happened when they stopped trying to mess with trying to make him a DE/OLB and just committed him to being a full time DE.

Now his jump to 8 sacks and counting is because since he knew he was going to be a full time DE now, he could put on weight/muscle in the offseason, not having to worry about being fast enough to cover a TE or RB in coverage.

3 sacks
2.5 sacks
(He becomes a full time DE)
6 sacks
10.5 sacks (projected)

Guy is on the right path now that he actually knows what his position is. Gotta get that man signed up. Even if he doesn't improve anymore from where he is now, I will take 10-11 sacks every year. Combine that with another 10 from Atkins, and hopefully Dunlap can keep healthy (who knows what his full potential is if he can be healthy for 16 games), and that's a good solid ~30+ sacks from your starting D line every year.

Money.

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 94-92-2 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
- - - - -

"Why hello there Antonio..."

Last edited by TheLeonardLeap; 12-08-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
I think it is pretty obvious we do not need the 10 other defenders we put on the field. All we have to do is send Geno out there and he can do it by himself. Those people who think it is a team game are just plain dumb.

Not once in the history of the NFL has a player ever continued to improve and had his best year yet in the last year of his rookie contract. We better be skeptical and low ball MJ so he leaves.

Even though our DL has been our strength the last two years with MJ getting more playing time than any other D-linemen we have, those numbers should be looked over. Forget the fact that if we make the playoffs it will be our 3rd time there since he joined the team. And forget the fact that he made an impact since coming in as a 3rd round pick and has played in every single game.

If a guy does good you have to look for somebody else to attribute that success to. Unless it is Geno.

I wonder if Geno ever benefits from having MJ and Dunlap at end??? Ahh naa what am I thinking that couldn't be possible. That beneficial relationship obviously only goes one way.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
I think it is pretty obvious we do not need the 10 other defenders we put on the field. All we have to do is send Geno out there and he can do it by himself. Those people who think it is a team game are just plain dumb.

Not once in the history of the NFL has a player ever continued to improve and had his best year yet in the last year of his rookie contract. We better be skeptical and low ball MJ so he leaves.

Even though our DL has been our strength the last two years with MJ getting more playing time than any other D-linemen we have, those numbers should be looked over. Forget the fact that if we make the playoffs it will be our 3rd time there since he joined the team. And forget the fact that he made an impact since coming in as a 3rd round pick and has played in every single game.

If a guy does good you have to look for somebody else to attribute that success to. Unless it is Geno.

I wonder if Geno ever benefits from having MJ and Dunlap at end??? Ahh naa what am I thinking that couldn't be possible. That beneficial relationship obviously only goes one way.
Now you're getting it. Atkins is the Todd Frazier of Football. Are the other players on the field really nessicary? No, but letting all those "teammates" get in his way and hinder him at least gives the other teams a semblance of fairness.

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 94-92-2 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
- - - - -

"Why hello there Antonio..."
Old 12-08-2012, 10:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4025

Wait, the NFL isn't a non-profit charity? So these guys perform well to do well AND get paid more for performance?

Hold the presses...We've got a conspiracy theory going on. A player is trying to get paid! Unreal...

Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6791

The Bengals extended Hall, Whitworth, and Cook last year right before the start of the regular season.

If an extension was going to get done, it would have already happened.