Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 970
Default Re: Kirkpatrick was a bad pick....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Potty View Post
....this kid can't stay healthy if his life depended on it and i would like to see us trade him in the offseason.You can't help a team if you can't stay healthy and i've had just about enough of hearing about this kid injuring himself. He was just activated a couple of weeks ago and now he's already hurt again?
Welcome back Potty. As always, thank you for your direct and honest opinion. This board needs opinions like those that you express.
Although sometimes they are off-the-wall and absurd - nonetheless; it does break the monotony of the mutual admiration society that is prevalent on this board, at times.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7134

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRAB14 View Post
I think the pick was fine, taking CB and Guard in the first round was the right SAFE play. Gilmore was off the board already and Corner back was a big need considering they didn't know how Leon would recover or if Newman could bounce back. Kirkpatrick will be fine, Consider this season like a leanring/ red shirt season. Plus he will now have the whole offseason to bulk up. Kirk plays the run well and he can cover. He was a good solid corner in a very tough SEC. With Newman and Pac man up for contracts, look for Kirk, Ghee and Prater to have some serious competition. People forget about Ghee who probably had the best camp of all these guys. Give Kirk time, this stuff happens.

For whats its worth I was leaning more towards the Bengals taking a guy Like Melvin Ingram or Mercilus or even Chandler Jones because of Geathers and MJ's contract stuff. Then taking the Guard with the 2nd 1st round pick. I was also very high on Janoris Jenkins even though all the issues and he has been awesome. I thought they would go Ingram, DeCastro/Zeitler and then in 2nd round a guy like Casey Howard. Either way the draft was good.

The picks in question I think is the Devon Still or Brandon Thompson picks... Not too sure why they went DT back to back and it makes it even more weird now since both players have been inactive so much??
I would have rather seen Konz(C Wisc.)drafted then Still or Thompson. Even if we had to move to get him.

Yeah, I know... we have Cook and got lucky with Robinson. I was just hoping for us to solidify the line for years to come. Maybe we have in a roundabout way. Great to know that Robinson can play center in a pinch if he should be moved to another position on the line. For all we know he may be better than Cook anyway. I'm really happy with the Zeitler pick even though DeCastro would have been ahead of him on most peoples boards.

No knock against Still or Thompson. Those guys could be contributors or at least bring solid depth. The jury is still out because we all need to see more of them.

As far as Dre. Well we'll just have to wait and see on him as well. However I still think we should take another CB and Safety in the early/mid rounds. Just to bring even more youth and skill to our secondary. I just don't see Cincy signing any bigger named players at this position so it has to come from somewhere!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9705

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlotharw View Post
When you are unable to refute the argument, attack the person.
Sometimes someone's argument are so stupid that it's not even worth trying to refute.......then it's just fun to attack the person
Old 12-08-2012, 11:11 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24017

Quote:
Dude. I hated the Dre Kirk pick, I think he will be a bust (too slow, skinny, not a ball hawk, lived off Alabama rep, etc), also he now has a knee problem that apparently no one knew about. Oh yeah, and he never backpedaled in college.

BUT... Scotty Potty is a known troll and it's completely stupid to suggest we trade Kirkpatrick in the offseason. I guarantee you that Potty will not make another post in this thread. He just started a controversial (stupid) topic, and now he's going to sit back and enjoy the fun. Classic troll.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 11

Quote:
....this kid can't stay healthy if his life depended on it and i would like to see us trade him in the offseason.You can't help a team if you can't stay healthy and i've had just about enough of hearing about this kid injuring himself. He was just activated a couple of weeks ago and now he's already hurt again?
Really? Get some perspective bro. You are outside of your mind.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
'cause I attacked him, right?

You think that every single problem with this team is die to the strength and conditioning staff

You're just as much of a simple-minded, ignorant pessimist as he is, so gain some context before you throw stones.

THAT is an attack.
My opinion, my argument is that the strenght and conditioning program of this team is poor. Your response is to call me simple-minded, ignorant and pessimistic; a personal attack. Thank you for making my point.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4577

I didn't like him as a pick, and it's taken much longer for him to get on the field than even my most pessimistic expectations. However, trading him (I don't know why people are bringing that up) would be a completely stupid move. It's better to wait for him to develop and hope that all of us were wrong about him being a bad pick.

2. If you adjust the minimum wage for inflation it would have been close to $20 per hour back in the 80's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone77 View Post
I mean 85,000 is not too shabby for a teacher with 8 years experience, and that is typical salary in Ohio for a teacher with that experience.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 65

About the only thing concerning to me about Kirkpatrick is that 30 out of the 32 first round picks see significant time on their teams. When Dre got healthy the coaching staff did not believe he was good enough to crack the top 3 corners on this team. But i do believe Dre will end up starting next year and being a good solid pick. If we could go back and pick a different player I don't think anyone would not want to do it at this point in time.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Hood is still one of the 3 worst at his position since his first snap.
really not the point, though. the point is that you don't give up on guys that you've invested in so quickly and that 1 year does not make a career.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 12845

Quote:
Well, the person did create multiple usernames, create all kinds of lies and basically thinks he's smarter than every other human on the planet.

And the thread was really stupid.

So, yeah...
Old 12-08-2012, 12:15 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xs&Os View Post
Welcome back Potty. As always, thank you for your direct and honest opinion. This board needs opinions like those that you express.
Although sometimes they are off-the-wall and absurd - nonetheless; it does break the monotony of the mutual admiration society that is prevalent on this board, at times.
Isn't that what you're doing with the OP?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2324

Quote:
If he is so injury prone then why would anyone trade for him? Get off his back man, I guess since Cook was hurt we need to trade him. Hell let's trade Gresham too he was hurt, lets package those three with the mythical Jason Allen and maybe we can get something in return
Old 12-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2657

Dre may or may not prove to be bust. But we are no where near being able to make that determination yet. Maybe he turns out to be a good nfl safety. But the notion of trading him in the offseason is just ludicrous.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Hey Scotty Potty, care to crawl out from under your bridge and join the discussion? Exactly.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 142

He can't possibly have this much bad luck with injuries next year too, can he? It's been disappointing he's hardly seen the field. Can't trade a guy who no one will want, but I feel the frustration too. Hope he turns it around
Old 12-08-2012, 12:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7430

Potty needs to be flushed.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2302

Quote:
I think it might be a little premature to label the kid as a bust over being injury prone. Kudos on drawing fire though.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7044
bengals Re: Kirkpatrick was a bad pick....

I also didn't like the pick, but now that we have him, we need to give him every chance to prove himself, but sitting on the sideline 9-10 games a year won't cut, look for him to be gone after his second year, unless he plays lights out next year, and the game against Oakland, he wasn't even third string material.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7611

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
Dre got a concussion last week. That doesn't make him fragile. I think hes gonna be a good addition in years to come.
i still think he would be a better free saftey but I agree he will be a good DB for years to come

WINNING MAKES BELIEVERS OF US ALL PAUL BROWN
Marvin for GM 2013
Old 12-08-2012, 01:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
I don't think we should trade him, but i seen him play against the Chiefs & he played 10 yards off the WR giving up 2 catches from loose coverage giving up 10+ yards.. He needs to be at the line jamming the guy...I'd give Kirkpatrick another chance until he actually sees the field for a bit...I would like to draft Xavier Rhodes from Florida State though, i gurantee he'd start.

The cushion he's giviing is probably due to Marvin and Zim telling him not to let ANYTHING get behind him - especially as he has so few reps in the league and with this team in particular.

I think they drafted him to do what you're saying - just not ready to take the training wheels off yet. I think he'll be good once he gets the reps, and - thank the Lord - he's got plenty of experience to cover his back side.

I'd like to see Rhodes here too. They'd make a formidable duo down the road.

Cheers!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:31 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Isn't that what you're doing with the OP?
No. I don't agree with his opinion. But I do support him in terms of expressing an opinion.
He is a fan of this Team. Just because other fans do not agree with his opinion, does not make him a "troll" or justify calling him stupid.
The mutual admiration society comment pertains to the bandwagon mentality that is prevalent.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xs&Os View Post
No. I don't agree with his opinion. But I do support him in terms of expressing an opinion.
He is a fan of this Team. Just because other fans do not agree with his opinion, does not make him a "troll" or justify calling him stupid.
The mutual admiration society comment pertains to the bandwagon mentality that is prevalent.
I'm all for people expressing their opinions whether they're positive or negative, but Scotty Potty is an obvious troll. First, look at his rep/post ratio. Second, look at the fact that he hasn't made a single post since he started the thread. Third, to suggest that a team trade away it's first round pick when he hasn't even seen the field IS stupid.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18743

Dre wasn't my first choice either, but the jury's still out on him as to whether he was a good pick. Personally, I think it's asking a bit much to expect alot from rookie CBs. Isn't it the case that they usually start slow? Patrick Peterson had a slow start at CB (not at KR though). Haden might be one of the few exceptions.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
Yeah, they drafted this Troy Polamalu guy in the first round several years back, and he did nothing his rookie year. Anybody ever hear what happened to that guy? Is he even still in the league?....
He had 2 sacks, a forced fumbled, 4 pass defended and 29 tackles his rookie year. Not bad for doing "nothing".

I get your general point, but Polamalu was waaaaay better than Kirkpatrick their rookie years, so not the best comparison to make.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:04 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I'm all for people expressing their opinions whether they're positive or negative, but Scotty Potty is an obvious troll. First, look at his rep/post ratio. Second, look at the fact that he hasn't made a single post since he started the thread. Third, to suggest that a team trade away it's first round pick when he hasn't even seen the field IS stupid.
I give him the benefit of the doubt as a fan.
I view his post as a sign of his frustration with a first round pick being injured most of his first year. Perry had same issues and never panned out.
Also if the Bengals knew about the health of his knee and took a chance, that is not good. The Buccanner WR issue come to mind.
Do I think that he should be traded? No. They have to play their hand for a couple of years. Do I think Potty's opinion is stupid. No. That is how he feels.
Lastly; I think that if you and others feel that he is a troll, then why are you feeding it? Would it not make more sense to ignore his post?