Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 291
Default Manti Te'o

Do you think they fall to us?

Do you prefer him or Alec Ogletree? And do you think Ogletree can fall to us?

Discuss
Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082
Default Re: Manti Te'o

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcholas View Post
Do you think they fall to us?

Do you prefer him or Alec Ogletree? And do you think Ogletree can fall to us?

Discuss
No.

Ogletree. Yes.

We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Last edited by Burma; 12-07-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 46958

Te'o, likely not.

Ogletree, maybe so.

Personally, I would rather have Ogletree, he's so quick.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4741

I think Burfict is going to be in the middle next year and Marvin might be looking for Peter Boulware again and look to draft a pass rushing OLB early in the draft. Te'o goes before we pick and no need for Ogletree.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30022

Quote:
Originally Posted by et2house View Post
I think Burfict is going to be in the middle next year and Marvin might be looking for Peter Boulware again and look to draft a pass rushing OLB early in the draft. Te'o goes before we pick and no need for Ogletree.
Rey will be in the middle.

If Howard is back Burfict will be at SAM.

If Howard is not back Burfict will be the WILL

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post

God, I hope we don't resign him...
Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

If he's available, I expect we don't pass Ogletree, even with other priorities at other positions. Rey is not the solution in the middle, and we don't know how Burfict will perform there. An insurance its always important.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19753

Quote:
I'm not sure about that.

Burfict started off strong, but he has tapered off a little bit.

I honestly think I'd prefer Maualuga over Burfict for now in the middle. Although both have been somewhat subpar.

5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Old 12-08-2012, 08:04 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
I don't know if you have noticed, but he is playing a lot better since losing the weight.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
I don't know if you have noticed, but he is playing a lot better since losing the weight.
His playing better is not good enough. I think he's still amongst the worse (if not the worst) MLB in the league. To my eyes he lacks everything you want in a MLB:

Instinct
Read and React
Confidence
Poor in coverage
not a side line to side line defender
Not quick or fast

We could do much better than Maulaluga. I'm all for taking Ogeltree. Right away an instant upgrade to Rey in all of the above areas.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:37 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23057

Te'o is a pipedream at this point, though I'd love to see the Bengals draft him. More likely they will settle for Mosley or Ogletree. I wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals double dip in the linebacker pool to get the position set for years to come. I think there is a lot of value to be had in all the speedy, "undersized," linebackers that could make solid WILL backers and greatly improve the unit in terms of covering receivers.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
His playing better is not good enough. I think he's still amongst the worse (if not the worst) MLB in the league. To my eyes he lacks everything you want in a MLB:

Instinct
Read and React
Confidence
Poor in coverage
not a side line to side line defender
Not quick or fast

We could do much better than Maulaluga. I'm all for taking Ogeltree. Right away an instant upgrade to Rey in all of the above areas.
Spot on. Rey has stepped up his game; from worst in the league to merely below average. We can and need to get better there. We can't rely on Chris ****ing Crocker to be our defensive general.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 12-08-2012, 12:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12921

Not drinking the kool-aid on Teo, I see a guy who has weight concerns, plays timid and lets the play develop before he attacks...Last time I checked we had one of those guys.

No thank you.

RUNNING TO THE JUNGLE '13
Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6162

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx View Post
Not drinking the kool-aid on Teo, I see a guy who has weight concerns, plays timid and lets the play develop before he attacks...Last time I checked we had one of those guys.

No thank you.
The third best college LB in the midwest. No thank you. I will forever lose respect fot the Heisman if Te'o wins it.

Last edited by whodey21; 12-08-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3955

This thread should be re-named "Let's **** on Te'o for no reason."

Weight problems? 3rd best in the midwest? Where do you people come up with this stuff? Stand-up guy, high character, academic all-american...think I read somewhere that he is currently up tops in tackles among active players (don't quote me I can't find the source). All he did was persevere through losing two loved ones in as many days, and lead his top-ranked defense on the top-ranked team though one of the toughest schedules in the country to the National Championship game.

All moot as he'll be gone by our pick, but seriously, show some respect, even if he isn't the best pick we won't get a chance to make. PS I'm no Notre Dame or Brian Kelly fan either.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19198

Te'o doesn't anticipate well, doesn't react well, and is terrible in man coverage, which is big in this division because they use the tight end so much.

I was watching a draft show and they said that Te'o is alright between the tackles but but he struggles in space, which is what I've said all along (look at my post history).

It's a passing league, so we need a guy that can play sideline-to-sideline and defend the pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
I'm not sure about that.

Burfict started off strong, but he has tapered off a little bit.

I honestly think I'd prefer Maualuga over Burfict for now in the middle. Although both have been somewhat subpar.
Rey's play has finally improved as to where he's a respectable MIKE, and how can you complain about Burfifct?! Dude's playing AMAZING!

If you didn't like Rey's play before he started playing better lately, then you sure as hell won't like Te'o's play.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7573

Quote:

This.

Why upgrade at a position that is adaquate at the moment and create a hole at another?
Old 12-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleJuice View Post
This.

Why upgrade at a position that is adaquate at the moment and create a hole at another?
It is not adequate. We have 1 mediocre 30 year old Will, an under achieving, sporadic MLB, and 1 undrafted free agent who looks like he has potential. That is not even close to adequate. Our LB are the weakness in our D currently. We have the chance to add 2 legitimate play makers at the LB position and only short sightedness and unfounded optimism in out current players can prevent that.

Last edited by Burma; 12-08-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
It is not adequate. We have 1 mediocre 30 year old Will, an under achieving, sporadic MLB, and 1 undrafted free agent who looks like he has potential. That is not even close to adequate. Our LB are the weakness in our D currently. We have the chance to add 2 legitimate play makers at the LB position and only short sightedness and unfounded optimism in out current players can prevent that.
Agreed. Maybe we can get one by FA.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 46958

Quote:

Agree completely. But, at the same time, since when is "adequate" good enough to win championships??

The LB position still needs a true star. Not saying Te'o is or isn't the guy, just that we need a real stud LB to get to championship caliber.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Rey's play is finally playing even better than adequate.

Burfict has first round talent, so being undrafted is irrelevant.

We do need to decide if we keep him at WILL or move him to SAM (assuming we keep Rey), and then we need to draft or sign a FA WILL or SAM.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3955

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Rey's play is finally playing even better than adequate.

Burfict has first round talent, so being undrafted is irrelevant.

We do need to decide if we keep him at WILL or move him to SAM (assuming we keep Rey), and then we need to draft or sign a FA WILL or SAM.
Burfict's doing wonderfully filling in a position of need, but his skills are not best used at WILL. MLB or SAM would be better for him. I believe it all depends on who we pick up.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
Burfict's doing wonderfully filling in a position of need, but his skills are not best used at WILL. MLB or SAM would be better for him. I believe it all depends on who we pick up.
I think he could help cure our problems covering tight ends, but I do like him at WILL because he seems to work better in more space and able to do his own thing without many responsibilies.

I guess you could argue keep him at WILL because he's more free to make plays and free-lance or move him to SAM because he has the abilities and the talent to perform the many responsibilites of the SAM, as well as being more in the typical play.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:05 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17152

It all hinges on what they think of Burfict I guess. I would not be sad if we took Ogletree in the first, or Mosley. It depends on if they think Burfict can be the man at MLB. One thing is for certain Teo will be long gone when we pick. Ogletree might be too.

I personally like Burfict as the future MLB. I think hes a beast. Look again at his college highlights. It wasnt his play that knocked him out. Since then he has taken to getting some discipline and real coaching. I think he will live up to his one time high pick status. He's been a treat and to think he is playing out of position is wild. He will replace Rey next year imo.

Last edited by djam; 12-08-2012 at 11:27 PM.