Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:03 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 53242
Default Re: Cook Activated; Binns Waived

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsfanatic85 View Post
What a total joke. They spend a good portion of last season and all offseason this year telling us how great Binns is and what a solid Number 2 receiver he's gonna be....
Only the rubes fell for that. Everyone else noticed that we drafted two WRs. All the Binns hype was basically saying "He will be good enough until Sanu and/or Jones are ready".
Old 12-08-2012, 07:22 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13710

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
He might get picked up before that can happen by another squad desperate at WR.
And?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8320
bengals Re: Cook Activated; Binns Waived

Well, at least Binns can console himself with the knowledge that he got cut in order to make room for the team's starting Center... instead of being like Faine and getting cut to make room for a backup kicker.

Yes, a backup kicker.

Time to hang up the cleats when you get passed on the depth chart by an undrafted rookie free agent, and then get cut for a backup kicker. Somebody give that man an ACE card.

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 94-92-2 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
- - - - -

"Why hello there Antonio..."
Old 12-09-2012, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 291

Someone knows a undrafted WR that couldn't produce in his first 2 seasons as a Pro that had a significant career in NFL?
Well, I'm not expert but I think this is very hard to happen. We are near the end of the year, let's think in the future and Draft, let's move on because he is certainly not our solution.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:53 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10682

As much as I would refer Binns over Tate, it makes sense that the coaches kept Tate over Binns.

Tate can also contribute on special teams returning, whereas Binns does not. Although, now it seems more likely that the Bengals will pick up a WR mid to late in the draft

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
but he is our Larry Fitz!
He is a young player with very good size and hands. It is his second year in the league. Hopefully we can bring him back to the practice squad if he is eligible. I swear some of you people amaze me. You act as if any player that does not make an immediate impact is completely worthless.

What about Hawkins? Heck he could not make it with the Browns who were absolutely desperate for any offensive help at the time. He ended up in the CFL and working odd jobs. What about a guy like Kurt Warner? Arena League QB.....wearing Superbowl ring.

It is as if many of you take pleasure in kids working hard and not immediately making it so that you can take shots at their efforts.

How close have you gotten to being on an NFL team?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:37 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
He is a young player with very good size and hands. It is his second year in the league. Hopefully we can bring him back to the practice squad if he is eligible. I swear some of you people amaze me. You act as if any player that does not make an immediate impact is completely worthless.

What about Hawkins? Heck he could not make it with the Browns who were absolutely desperate for any offensive help at the time. He ended up in the CFL and working odd jobs. What about a guy like Kurt Warner? Arena League QB.....wearing Superbowl ring.

It is as if many of you take pleasure in kids working hard and not immediately making it so that you can take shots at their efforts.

How close have you gotten to being on an NFL team?
Wow, I think somebody has a crush on Binns!

You know who has good hands and size? Probably about 50% of the WR who can't stick it in the NFL.

What about the 1000s of Joe Blows who play in various lesser leagues who can't make it in the NFL? The chances are much better that Binns is one of those guys.

Personally, I take no pleasure in his getting cut but I can't help but think back a few months when some people (like me) wanted the team to get a legit, proven WR and some people (like you) were happy with the bargain hunting and hoping one of the many unproven guys step up. Now Binns is gone and the team is on the outside looking in at the playoffs.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3962

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
He might get picked up before that can happen by another squad desperate at WR.
I can't help but think he might make a better slot receiver. The Bengals were very deep at slot, and tried to make him an X, and it didn't work that well. That being said, he was at least solid before injury. I think he might become a Ram or Lion. Good Luck, Armon.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsfanatic85 View Post
What a total joke. They spend a good portion of last season and all offseason this year telling us how great Binns is and what a solid Number 2 receiver he's gonna be....
I hear what you are saying, but also the message to guys like Marvin Jones and Sanu was "it doesn't matter when you were drafted, or if you were drafted at all. The guys that we think prepare the best and give us teh best chance to win will play". I am suprised at the venom spewed at Binns. He gets lumped together with Tate, because everyone sees the two of them as so similar. It isn't Binns returning KOs from 8 yards deep only to manage the 12 yard line. It is Tate. Binns was doing exactly what was asked of him before injury. I was thrilled to see what Sanu did when he got his chance. But that doesn't mean it was Binns' poor performance that should stand out. Remember, Dalton had less than impressive games when Binns was out there. Gresham was dropping 1 in 3 balls thrown to him. There was no running game.

Binns was never going to be a Pro Bowler, but I see him as being a successful WR in this league. My guess is slot WR where his strengths are better utilized. He will most likely end up a Lion or Ram.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcholas View Post
Someone knows a undrafted WR that couldn't produce in his first 2 seasons as a Pro that had a significant career in NFL?
Well, I'm not expert but I think this is very hard to happen. We are near the end of the year, let's think in the future and Draft, let's move on because he is certainly not our solution.
Maybe Andrew Hawkins?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24508

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergonnachange View Post
Wow, I think somebody has a crush on Binns!

You know who has good hands and size? Probably about 50% of the WR who can't stick it in the NFL.

What about the 1000s of Joe Blows who play in various lesser leagues who can't make it in the NFL? The chances are much better that Binns is one of those guys.

Personally, I take no pleasure in his getting cut but I can't help but think back a few months when some people (like me) wanted the team to get a legit, proven WR and some people (like you) were happy with the bargain hunting and hoping one of the many unproven guys step up. Now Binns is gone and the team is on the outside looking in at the playoffs.
There is also the argument that only return duties kept this cut from being Tate.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:01 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23361

I think they will find a way to bring him back or keep him involved in the organization. Or maybe they've learned to cut their losses and swallow their pride before getting too deep...?

Well done to whomever predicted in the other thread that this is exactly what would happen.

So is there word whether or not Cook will start? I assume he will see limited back-up time for a week or two at least, but I think this whole "chemistry" thing is overvalued on these boards. If someone is better, they are better. Put 'em in. Plus it's not like Cook is some dude off the streets. He's as much a part of this team as anyone.

That's exactly who Cook is. Some guy off the streets who ended up being better than Ghiaciuc.

Is it any surprise that another guy off the street happened to be better than the first? Seems like 50/50 odds to me. Cook can ride the pine until Robinson struggles or needs a breather. Gotta stick with the hot hand.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9402

Trevor Robinson, Kyle Cook... Gutcheck.. All guys who never were highly touted talent wise, but beat out another man to win the starting job. Highest round talent we've had in center was Braham taken in the 3rd.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRacerX View Post
Maybe Andrew Hawkins?
Sorry, but he hasn't proven that he will have a significant career here, even making a few good catches. Not yet.