Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 AM
RumbleCat RumbleCat is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,017
Rep Points: 6467
Default Sports Card Collectors?

Other than Interceptor, are there any other members who are involved in this hobby? I have a really huge collection, but it was going to Mike III. Now I am dumping it all off on eBay.

I'd rather see that it goes to my fellow members here. I'm selling mainly lots, and better than half BV.

Anyone not interested, please don't pollute this thread with lame jokes. Please?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Steeler Eater's Avatar
Steeler Eater Steeler Eater is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: I got this
Posts: 12,473
Rep Points: 18385
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

I used to collect them when I was younger and have an abundance of cards. My dad has cards from the 50's in rubbermaid totes and has quite a collection. My uncle spent like 2g's on players rookie cards when his son was born as a small investment for him. Can't remember anyone besides Steve Francis in those cards, but he was buying them in excess of 200 per player. Those things can be lucrative.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 AM
68Firebird's Avatar
68Firebird 68Firebird is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 616
Rep Points: 1529
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCat View Post
Other than Interceptor, are there any other members who are involved in this hobby? I have a really huge collection, but it was going to Mike III. Now I am dumping it all off on eBay.

I'd rather see that it goes to my fellow members here. I'm selling mainly lots, and better than half BV.

Anyone not interested, please don't pollute this thread with lame jokes. Please?
I collect all sorts of memorabilia, comic books, etc. I typically like real collectible things and cards, as opposed to volumes of just stuff. What have you got? Anything cool?

Some things from my collection:

A Baseball autographed by Mickey Mantle & Sand Koufax.

Becket Basketball Monthly #1

Sports Illustrated #1 with the uncut cards still in tact

Amazing Spiderman #14 (1st appearance of Green Goblin - for you comic nerds)

Jordan Fleer Rookie & Rookie Sticker (lots of basketball rookies from the 80's)

Derek Jeter Tops Gold (Graded PSA10)

Giant Size Xmen #1

And all sorts of other crap - lots of rare and old comic books. If you have anything unique in there, I'd love to hear about it and see what we can work out. Feel free to list in here or send a PM.

Thanks!

Last edited by 68Firebird; 12-09-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Interceptor's Avatar
Interceptor Interceptor is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: under a rock
Posts: 6,100
Rep Points: 11232
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

Any Bengals lanyards?
__________________




Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Slappy from New Haven's Avatar
Slappy from New Haven Slappy from New Haven is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Cackalaky
Posts: 12,620
Rep Points: 17635
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

You guys need to go outside sometime
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Interceptor's Avatar
Interceptor Interceptor is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: under a rock
Posts: 6,100
Rep Points: 11232
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
You guys need to go outside sometime
I was there a month ago watching them wallop the Giants. I'm good.
__________________




Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM
68Firebird's Avatar
68Firebird 68Firebird is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 616
Rep Points: 1529
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
You guys need to go outside sometime
I get outside plenty! How do you think I can buy all this crap?!?! I'm a walking stimulus.

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 PM
RumbleCat RumbleCat is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,017
Rep Points: 6467
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
You guys need to go outside sometime
Too busy selling this stuff off. I've made a little over $300.00 on eBay since last weekend. But I'll get out there.

BTW, collectors, highlight of my collection is a Pete Rose RC books at $1,000 and I was offered $1200.00 for it by a guy here locally, but I keep hoping he gets in the HOF. Also an autographed bat, mini-helmet, and a baseball he signed at a sportscard show. Took my son, and I have pics of both of us with Pete signing.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-10-2012, 01:12 PM
68Firebird's Avatar
68Firebird 68Firebird is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 616
Rep Points: 1529
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCat View Post
Too busy selling this stuff off. I've made a little over $300.00 on eBay since last weekend. But I'll get out there.

BTW, collectors, highlight of my collection is a Pete Rose RC books at $1,000 and I was offered $1200.00 for it by a guy here locally, but I keep hoping he gets in the HOF. Also an autographed bat, mini-helmet, and a baseball he signed at a sportscard show. Took my son, and I have pics of both of us with Pete signing.
I'm not one to really tell someone what to do, but TAKE the $1200!

Then, go to ebay and buy another one for $300-$400 ($600 for PSA grade 6). You'll be up $900 to $600 depending on the quality of card.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-10-2012, 02:38 PM
WeezyBengal's Avatar
WeezyBengal WeezyBengal is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 7,247
Rep Points: 20633
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

I used to collect all the time, and then it got dumb.

I remember when the first "game worn jersey" cards came out. The first year they came out it was nearly impossible to pull one. I finally pulled one in a pack of upper deck. It was an Antoine Walker jersey card. It was worth about a grand at the time.

Now, its not worth anything. The market is over saturated with "memorabilia" cards, you can almost get one in every pack.

Even my Griffey rookie card isnt worth squat.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM
RumbleCat RumbleCat is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,017
Rep Points: 6467
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Firebird View Post
I'm not one to really tell someone what to do, but TAKE the $1200!

Then, go to ebay and buy another one for $300-$400 ($600 for PSA grade 6). You'll be up $900 to $600 depending on the quality of card.
It's an 8. Way better than anything I could get in that range.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM
RumbleCat RumbleCat is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,017
Rep Points: 6467
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
I used to collect all the time, and then it got dumb.

I remember when the first "game worn jersey" cards came out. The first year they came out it was nearly impossible to pull one. I finally pulled one in a pack of upper deck. It was an Antoine Walker jersey card. It was worth about a grand at the time.

Now, its not worth anything. The market is over saturated with "memorabilia" cards, you can almost get one in every pack.

Even my Griffey rookie card isnt worth squat.
And Bingo, the main reason, (other than my son is gone and no one to inherit) that I'm bailing. Getting out completely.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,612
Rep Points: 23876
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Firebird View Post
I collect all sorts of memorabilia, comic books, etc. I typically like real collectible things and cards, as opposed to volumes of just stuff. What have you got? Anything cool?

Some things from my collection:

A Baseball autographed by Mickey Mantle & Sand Koufax.

Becket Basketball Monthly #1

Sports Illustrated #1 with the uncut cards still in tact

Amazing Spiderman #14 (1st appearance of Green Goblin - for you comic nerds)

Jordan Fleer Rookie & Rookie Sticker (lots of basketball rookies from the 80's)

Derek Jeter Tops Gold (Graded PSA10)

Giant Size Xmen #1

And all sorts of other crap - lots of rare and old comic books. If you have anything unique in there, I'd love to hear about it and see what we can work out. Feel free to list in here or send a PM.

Thanks!
I'll buy it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-11-2012, 09:54 PM
68Firebird's Avatar
68Firebird 68Firebird is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 616
Rep Points: 1529
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
I'll buy it.
If you would like, I'll take some pics and PM you so we don't high jack thread. I wasn't looking to sell, just have conversation about collectibles. But, if you're a big fan and really want one, I'll part with it.

I had it framed in museum glass in a great looking frame a few years ago. It was NOT disturbed in the process as the framer does all sorts of high end collectibles (had a game worn Jackie Robinson jersey in there when I brought the comic in).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,612
Rep Points: 23876
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Firebird View Post
If you would like, I'll take some pics and PM you so we don't high jack thread. I wasn't looking to sell, just have conversation about collectibles. But, if you're a big fan and really want one, I'll part with it.

I had it framed in museum glass in a great looking frame a few years ago. It was NOT disturbed in the process as the framer does all sorts of high end collectibles (had a game worn Jackie Robinson jersey in there when I brought the comic in).
Honestly, I would absolutely love to. It's one of the big issues missing from my X-Men collection. Too bad it's also the most expensive piece left. I already knocked out X-Men #'s 1 & 4 along with countless otheres, so Giant Size is the one I'll be looking for for a while. I highly doubt that I have the cash that would make you willing to part with it. Probably not even close at the moment.

Out of curiousity though, how's the condition? I assume it's pretty sweet if you're framing it up in some museum glass....

And don't worry about hijacking Rumble's threads.....it's the reason he makes them. Seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 AM
68Firebird's Avatar
68Firebird 68Firebird is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 616
Rep Points: 1529
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
Honestly, I would absolutely love to. It's one of the big issues missing from my X-Men collection. Too bad it's also the most expensive piece left. I already knocked out X-Men #'s 1 & 4 along with countless otheres, so Giant Size is the one I'll be looking for for a while. I highly doubt that I have the cash that would make you willing to part with it. Probably not even close at the moment.

Out of curiousity though, how's the condition? I assume it's pretty sweet if you're framing it up in some museum glass....

And don't worry about hijacking Rumble's threads.....it's the reason he makes them. Seriously.
I'll have to look and see.

I have it all in a box in our garage. From what I recall, It isn't in super perfect shape. I mean, the cover is clean, no rips or anything. All the pages are there and in great shape. Binding is strong. You can actually pick it up and read it without fear of hurting the book. But, it's an old book, you know? I frame a lot of this stuff because I enjoy it and it's a good way to keep it safe. I don't send too much stuff out to get graded and like the frames over the graded casing personally.

I wouldn't rake you over the coals for it. Was thinking at most $400 with the framing or something around there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.