Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467
Default Sports Card Collectors?

Other than Interceptor, are there any other members who are involved in this hobby? I have a really huge collection, but it was going to Mike III. Now I am dumping it all off on eBay.

I'd rather see that it goes to my fellow members here. I'm selling mainly lots, and better than half BV.

Anyone not interested, please don't pollute this thread with lame jokes. Please?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:13 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18385
Default Re: Sports Card Collectors?

I used to collect them when I was younger and have an abundance of cards. My dad has cards from the 50's in rubbermaid totes and has quite a collection. My uncle spent like 2g's on players rookie cards when his son was born as a small investment for him. Can't remember anyone besides Steve Francis in those cards, but he was buying them in excess of 200 per player. Those things can be lucrative.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1529

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCat View Post
Other than Interceptor, are there any other members who are involved in this hobby? I have a really huge collection, but it was going to Mike III. Now I am dumping it all off on eBay.

I'd rather see that it goes to my fellow members here. I'm selling mainly lots, and better than half BV.

Anyone not interested, please don't pollute this thread with lame jokes. Please?
I collect all sorts of memorabilia, comic books, etc. I typically like real collectible things and cards, as opposed to volumes of just stuff. What have you got? Anything cool?

Some things from my collection:

A Baseball autographed by Mickey Mantle & Sand Koufax.

Becket Basketball Monthly #1

Sports Illustrated #1 with the uncut cards still in tact

Amazing Spiderman #14 (1st appearance of Green Goblin - for you comic nerds)

Jordan Fleer Rookie & Rookie Sticker (lots of basketball rookies from the 80's)

Derek Jeter Tops Gold (Graded PSA10)

Giant Size Xmen #1

And all sorts of other crap - lots of rare and old comic books. If you have anything unique in there, I'd love to hear about it and see what we can work out. Feel free to list in here or send a PM.

Thanks!

Last edited by 68Firebird; 12-09-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:41 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11232

Any Bengals lanyards?

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Old 12-09-2012, 10:45 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17635

You guys need to go outside sometime
Old 12-09-2012, 10:58 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11232

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
I was there a month ago watching them wallop the Giants. I'm good.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I get outside plenty! How do you think I can buy all this crap?!?! I'm a walking stimulus.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Too busy selling this stuff off. I've made a little over $300.00 on eBay since last weekend. But I'll get out there.

BTW, collectors, highlight of my collection is a Pete Rose RC books at $1,000 and I was offered $1200.00 for it by a guy here locally, but I keep hoping he gets in the HOF. Also an autographed bat, mini-helmet, and a baseball he signed at a sportscard show. Took my son, and I have pics of both of us with Pete signing.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCat View Post
Too busy selling this stuff off. I've made a little over $300.00 on eBay since last weekend. But I'll get out there.

BTW, collectors, highlight of my collection is a Pete Rose RC books at $1,000 and I was offered $1200.00 for it by a guy here locally, but I keep hoping he gets in the HOF. Also an autographed bat, mini-helmet, and a baseball he signed at a sportscard show. Took my son, and I have pics of both of us with Pete signing.
I'm not one to really tell someone what to do, but TAKE the $1200!

Then, go to ebay and buy another one for $300-$400 ($600 for PSA grade 6). You'll be up $900 to $600 depending on the quality of card.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:38 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20633

I used to collect all the time, and then it got dumb.

I remember when the first "game worn jersey" cards came out. The first year they came out it was nearly impossible to pull one. I finally pulled one in a pack of upper deck. It was an Antoine Walker jersey card. It was worth about a grand at the time.

Now, its not worth anything. The market is over saturated with "memorabilia" cards, you can almost get one in every pack.

Even my Griffey rookie card isnt worth squat.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Firebird View Post
I'm not one to really tell someone what to do, but TAKE the $1200!

Then, go to ebay and buy another one for $300-$400 ($600 for PSA grade 6). You'll be up $900 to $600 depending on the quality of card.
It's an 8. Way better than anything I could get in that range.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
I used to collect all the time, and then it got dumb.

I remember when the first "game worn jersey" cards came out. The first year they came out it was nearly impossible to pull one. I finally pulled one in a pack of upper deck. It was an Antoine Walker jersey card. It was worth about a grand at the time.

Now, its not worth anything. The market is over saturated with "memorabilia" cards, you can almost get one in every pack.

Even my Griffey rookie card isnt worth squat.
And Bingo, the main reason, (other than my son is gone and no one to inherit) that I'm bailing. Getting out completely.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23876

Quote:
I collect all sorts of memorabilia, comic books, etc. I typically like real collectible things and cards, as opposed to volumes of just stuff. What have you got? Anything cool?

Some things from my collection:

A Baseball autographed by Mickey Mantle & Sand Koufax.

Becket Basketball Monthly #1

Sports Illustrated #1 with the uncut cards still in tact

Amazing Spiderman #14 (1st appearance of Green Goblin - for you comic nerds)

Jordan Fleer Rookie & Rookie Sticker (lots of basketball rookies from the 80's)

Derek Jeter Tops Gold (Graded PSA10)

Giant Size Xmen #1

And all sorts of other crap - lots of rare and old comic books. If you have anything unique in there, I'd love to hear about it and see what we can work out. Feel free to list in here or send a PM.

Thanks!
I'll buy it.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
I'll buy it.
If you would like, I'll take some pics and PM you so we don't high jack thread. I wasn't looking to sell, just have conversation about collectibles. But, if you're a big fan and really want one, I'll part with it.

I had it framed in museum glass in a great looking frame a few years ago. It was NOT disturbed in the process as the framer does all sorts of high end collectibles (had a game worn Jackie Robinson jersey in there when I brought the comic in).
Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23876

Quote:
If you would like, I'll take some pics and PM you so we don't high jack thread. I wasn't looking to sell, just have conversation about collectibles. But, if you're a big fan and really want one, I'll part with it.

I had it framed in museum glass in a great looking frame a few years ago. It was NOT disturbed in the process as the framer does all sorts of high end collectibles (had a game worn Jackie Robinson jersey in there when I brought the comic in).
Honestly, I would absolutely love to. It's one of the big issues missing from my X-Men collection. Too bad it's also the most expensive piece left. I already knocked out X-Men #'s 1 & 4 along with countless otheres, so Giant Size is the one I'll be looking for for a while. I highly doubt that I have the cash that would make you willing to part with it. Probably not even close at the moment.

Out of curiousity though, how's the condition? I assume it's pretty sweet if you're framing it up in some museum glass....

And don't worry about hijacking Rumble's threads.....it's the reason he makes them. Seriously.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
Honestly, I would absolutely love to. It's one of the big issues missing from my X-Men collection. Too bad it's also the most expensive piece left. I already knocked out X-Men #'s 1 & 4 along with countless otheres, so Giant Size is the one I'll be looking for for a while. I highly doubt that I have the cash that would make you willing to part with it. Probably not even close at the moment.

Out of curiousity though, how's the condition? I assume it's pretty sweet if you're framing it up in some museum glass....

And don't worry about hijacking Rumble's threads.....it's the reason he makes them. Seriously.
I'll have to look and see.

I have it all in a box in our garage. From what I recall, It isn't in super perfect shape. I mean, the cover is clean, no rips or anything. All the pages are there and in great shape. Binding is strong. You can actually pick it up and read it without fear of hurting the book. But, it's an old book, you know? I frame a lot of this stuff because I enjoy it and it's a good way to keep it safe. I don't send too much stuff out to get graded and like the frames over the graded casing personally.

I wouldn't rake you over the coals for it. Was thinking at most $400 with the framing or something around there.