Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1374
Default Re: 4th Quarter Play Calling

BJGE was underutilized all game. I like having him split carries with Peerman, but not Leonard. And only 12 carries all game when we led from halftime until the last 2 seconds? Shameful. Terrible terrible playcalling.

Props to NBF on the awesome sig!

I love the Bengals and will root for them until the day I die!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:30 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9361

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDey90 View Post
BJGE was underutilized all game. I like having him split carries with Peerman, but not Leonard. And only 12 carries all game when we led from halftime until the last 2 seconds? Shameful. Terrible terrible playcalling.
Totally agree! What the hell was running Leonard leap on 2 and 25 all about? An amalgam play of the game.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 706

lol @ Putting this on the 4th quarter we lost this game in the 1st quarter 2 quarter and 3rd quarter too.We had drops all day long Hawkins ,Green,Gresh {his was tougher catches} but we gave that game away.Same thing happened last week we gave up points, left points on the field if you do that it will come back to bite you.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsBong View Post
lol @ Putting this on the 4th quarter we lost this game in the 1st quarter 2 quarter and 3rd quarter too.We had drops all day long Hawkins ,Green,Gresh {his was tougher catches} but we gave that game away.Same thing happened last week we gave up points, left points on the field if you do that it will come back to bite you.
How many points did we hang in the 4th?

I'll give you the stalled drives in the red zone where we settled for field goals, but the offense laid an egg in the 4th with ask the 8-ball play calling.

Gresh did make an amazing one hand grab in the first quarter though.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

The play calling was bad you go with the hot hand that being the run.That was not on Marvin tho he is not the OC could he of suggested running more yeah but who is to say he did not we dont have headsets.I just did not see a very hungry team on our part out there.Way too many drops from WR way too many flags in the redzone from so called Captains Whitworth Cook letting 300 pound plus guys walking thru his gap without putting a hand on him.Way too many field goals not enough touchdowns.That was Marvin too huh?Not being able to get a TD with 1st and goal from the 5 was all Marv huh not Grudens fault at all.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
How many points did we hang in the 4th?

I'll give you the stalled drives in the red zone where we settled for field goals, but the offense laid an egg in the 4th with ask the 8-ball play calling.

Gresh did make an amazing one hand grab in the first quarter though.
We should of been up by 2 or 3 more td in the 4th.We droped way too many left way too many points on the board the game should of been a blow out by the 4th if we would of taken care of bizz in the first 3 quarters too.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsBong View Post
We should of been up by 2 or 3 more td in the 4th.We droped way too many left way too many points on the board the game should of been a blow out by the 4th if we would of taken care of bizz in the first 3 quarters too.
True, I totally agree with the red zone fizzles...we had almost a 2-1 TD to FG ratio going in today, and we had to do A LOT to lose this game.

Dalton also held the ball too long today...5 sacks is too many to give up at home.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 312
Default Went away from the run.,...

Why not waste a few minutes instead of 20 seconds......
Old 12-09-2012, 11:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: 4th Quarter Play Calling

Quote:
Totally agree! What the hell was running Leonard leap on 2 and 25 all about? An amalgam play of the game.
Why is he even still on the team?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: 4th Quarter Play Calling

I am a firm believer, that Ellis should have had 25-30 carries today, if he wasn't getting yards, o.k. stop the run, but the man was getting about 6-7 yards a pop, why go away from it?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:46 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 312

It ******! The D can only pick them up for so long.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1627

As I said in another thread, the first five names in the Cincinnati phone book could have called a better second half.

However, plenty of players contributed to points left on the field.

AJ Green -- two drops and a dumb penalty. Very uncharacteristic of him.

Dalton -- ignoring open receivers for five and 10 yard tosses to keep the chains moving, and trying to go further downfield unsuccessfully.

Hawkins -- sliding to duck under a hit while making a catch. Possible but not accomplished.

DBs -- At least three dropped interceptions.

The refs -- That bum call on Nelson not only ate up a lot of yardage, but it was one helluva momentum factor. They were going to have to punt from much deeper, and we were stoked. The call, which was absolutely wrong, not only broke our momentum, but had us distracted and cost us a timeout.

So yes, I think it was a pretty obvious coaching failure, but really this loss was a real team effort.

p.s. That Nelson hit was a textbook example of how the NFL would like for secondaries to operate, lowering their sites, and avoiding damaging head shots. It was just an example of an official with his head right up his rear.

p.p.s. Let's not forget having Romo sacked, and Dunlap lunging in to grab a face mask. That was going to be a punt from deep right there, too.

Last edited by ThunderCloud; 12-10-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2691

Quote:
Katie needs to smother Mikey with a pillow and make Marvin GM, then bring in Gruden or Andy Reid if Philly is foolish enough to let him go.

Seriously NOT FUNNY! Do we all want Mikey to step aside-yes! Was this humor in poor taste? YES!!!

Ian
Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3342

This is straight out of Daugherty's mouth,...

"The Bengals forgot that BenJarvus Green-Ellis was a member of their team. His last carry came with 11:59 left in the game. When you have a nine-point lead at home, against a team seemingly very comfortable with taking a loss, you donít give them reason to believe."

I can't agree more, BJGE was averaging 7.4 yards a carry but only got something like 2 carries in the entire 2nd half and his last one with 12 mins left in the game?? WTF??

It makes no sense, it's sickening, and it makes me wonder if the NFL is fixed. Why not run the ball with the lead, especially in the "black & blue AFC North"? Isn't that exactly Marvin's brand of football he's always been preaching? Balt did it against Pitt last week with Ray Rice barely touching the ball in the 2nd half.

I know this sounds crazy, maybe a bit "conspiracy theory" but games like this and last week's Ravens/Stoolers game make me wonder if sometimes NFL games get fixed. Why else would a team elect to throw the ball in the 2nd half when they have the lead and their running game is clicking on all cylinders? It just boggles the mind, it's football 101, how could any coaching staff be that dumb????!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 49

You guys are a 100% right!!!! we were up 9 and was throwin like we were the patriots BJGE should at least touch the ball 20 times with are O-Line and the way hes been running. This makes No sense to me at all!!! Our team played good enough to win!!! I sware gruden was point shaving lol I cant believe BJGE only touches the ball 12 times when he's beasttttinnnnnnn!!!!! SRY guys just gota vent I'm So ****** about this L !!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1441
Default I gotta put a great share of this loss on Jay Gruden.

After 21 hours to think about this loss, I have decided to put most of the blame on Jay Gruden.
I have never seen a OC look like a genius one week than be as clueless as that Monroe character from
the old "Too Close to Comfort" TV show that was on ABC.

allow me to elaborate.
The Cowboys were with out some of their starting LBs and starting a brand new practice squad NT.
So that should have told Jay Gruden that the Cowboys were weak up the middle. .
with that said,I'm lining up in heavy and power sets and just ramming it down their throat.
BJGE averaged 7.1 YPC vs the Boys. If I know something is working then I stick with it
until the other side makes adjustments.
If I see young LBers,then I'm going play action to draw the LBers up enough to attack that part of the field
to Gresham and Charles.
can someone here answer why we never bothered to go into a no huddle, 2 minute offense in the game?
I would have had the Cowboys gasping for air on defense especially with a NT who's stamina isn't up to par.

I wasn't too thrilled with the playcalling. I don't think I saw one screen pass attempted. All of our passes when it goes to a RB is a stupid arrow route on a checkdown for 3 yards.

while I'm at it,Dalton is gonna get some blame also. he can't continue to throw his weekly INT that either results in a TD or puts the other team in great field position.
did anyone notice Marvin Jones had cleanly beat the CB off the LOS and got seperation and Dalton threw it behind him? He would have walked in the end zone. It would have looked like Bryants TD catch.
if Dalton gets the ball there to lead him,its a sure TD. Jones ended up reaching behind him and making a catch,but the TD was there.

memo to Jay Gruden.Stop out smarting yourself. If something is working, stay with it. If there are position injuries,expose it.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711
Default Re: I gotta put a great share of this loss on Jay Gruden.

Isn't it always if the plays work the coaches look like geniuses and when they fail the coaches look bad?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactPlaya View Post
After 21 hours to think about this loss, I have decided to put most of the blame on Jay Gruden.
I have never seen a OC look like a genius one week than be as clueless as that Monroe character from
the old "Too Close to Comfort" TV show that was on ABC.

allow me to elaborate.
The Cowboys were with out some of their starting LBs and starting a brand new practice squad NT.
So that should have told Jay Gruden that the Cowboys were weak up the middle. .
with that said,I'm lining up in heavy and power sets and just ramming it down their throat.
BJGE averaged 7.1 YPC vs the Boys. If I know something is working then I stick with it
until the other side makes adjustments.
If I see young LBers,then I'm going play action to draw the LBers up enough to attack that part of the field
to Gresham and Charles.
can someone here answer why we never bothered to go into a no huddle, 2 minute offense in the game?
I would have had the Cowboys gasping for air on defense especially with a NT who's stamina isn't up to par.

I wasn't too thrilled with the playcalling. I don't think I saw one screen pass attempted. All of our passes when it goes to a RB is a stupid arrow route on a checkdown for 3 yards.

while I'm at it,Dalton is gonna get some blame also. he can't continue to throw his weekly INT that either results in a TD or puts the other team in great field position.
did anyone notice Marvin Jones had cleanly beat the CB off the LOS and got seperation and Dalton threw it behind him? He would have walked in the end zone. It would have looked like Bryants TD catch.
if Dalton gets the ball there to lead him,its a sure TD. Jones ended up reaching behind him and making a catch,but the TD was there.

memo to Jay Gruden.Stop out smarting yourself. If something is working, stay with it. If there are position injuries,expose it.
o well i moved on, beat philly and beat pit.
p.s. ravens fired offensive coordinator with three gms left. ill be watching the ravens carefully now. they could loose out
Old 12-10-2012, 12:03 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9133

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Isn't it always if the plays work the coaches look like geniuses and when they fail the coaches look bad?
Or, in this case, the plays worked (running the ball), but the coach just decided not to use what was obviously working. That does look bad.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6183

I will agree with this based on one major point. A team that runs the ball the way we did yesterday should never lose. Ever. In the 4th quarter (the best time to run the ball with a lead), we continued to pass (and drop passes). I was baffled.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212

Gotta keep running the ball.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47019

Save from a few untimely dropped passes, the game plan was pretty much working. 0 punts in the first half, 3 of 4 drives resulting in scores. Had they been able to punch in a couple of those drives that ended in FGs, the route could have been on. When they did run the ball, it worked really well.

I think Gruden called a good game, could have used a little more concentration on the part of the receivers though. Only thing I would have changed would have been to run the ball in the 4th qtr, chew the clock, put the urgency in Dallas' hands.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9133

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious-B View Post
This is straight out of Daugherty's mouth,...

"The Bengals forgot that BenJarvus Green-Ellis was a member of their team. His last carry came with 11:59 left in the game. When you have a nine-point lead at home, against a team seemingly very comfortable with taking a loss, you donít give them reason to believe."

I can't agree more, BJGE was averaging 7.4 yards a carry but only got something like 2 carries in the entire 2nd half and his last one with 12 mins left in the game?? WTF??

It makes no sense, it's sickening, and it makes me wonder if the NFL is fixed. Why not run the ball with the lead, especially in the "black & blue AFC North"? Isn't that exactly Marvin's brand of football he's always been preaching? Balt did it against Pitt last week with Ray Rice barely touching the ball in the 2nd half.

I know this sounds crazy, maybe a bit "conspiracy theory" but games like this and last week's Ravens/Stoolers game make me wonder if sometimes NFL games get fixed. Why else would a team elect to throw the ball in the 2nd half when they have the lead and their running game is clicking on all cylinders? It just boggles the mind, it's football 101, how could any coaching staff be that dumb????!!!!!!!
...and Baltimore's OC just got fired this morning on account of their disenchantment with his play-calling (not specifically the Pitt game, obviously, more generally over time). Shows you how short a leash coaches on other teams are on.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6183

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Save from a few untimely dropped passes, the game plan was pretty much working. 0 punts in the first half, 3 of 4 drives resulting in scores. Had they been able to punch in a couple of those drives that ended in FGs, the route could have been on. When they did run the ball, it worked really well.

I think Gruden called a good game, could have used a little more concentration on the part of the receivers though. Only thing I would have changed would have been to run the ball in the 4th qtr, chew the clock, put the urgency in Dallas' hands.
To paraphrase, "It worked, except for when it didn't" and "The coaching failed when it was most critical that it didn't"

Last edited by whodey21; 12-10-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
Or, in this case, the plays worked (running the ball), but the coach just decided not to use what was obviously working. That does look bad.
Or more likely the Cowboys were expecting run so we passed.