Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Game Day!!

Game Day!! A place to discuss the current games during the games themselves.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1381
Default Re: Sick and tired of the defenseless WR rule

Reggie gets about 5 flags a year on similar hits. That was a textbook hit. Seriously If I was in the NFL I would use that as an example to show guys how to tackle properly.

Problem is now the Refs err or the side of caution a
so much they throw a flag on a perfect hit
Old 12-09-2012, 09:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19786

It was a crap call for sure. No head contact and the receiver just made the catch. What else is Reggie supposed to do, just two-hand touch him when he hit the ground?

That said, Cowboys punted it away 3 plays later I think, but didnt help the field position. I can think of quite a few other plays that killed us much more than that bad call.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17095

What are the rules going to be like in 20 years I wonder? It's hard to imagine them making it more wuss, but it seems to be heading in a soft direction.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 17

i'm no expert, i've only been watching pro football for 50 years, but when your on defense (bengals) , isn't someone supposed to cover the receivers going across the middle ( linebacker, safety, somebody) if so could you please tell coach Zimmer!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Graduated Newbie

Thumbs down Re: Sick and tired of the defenseless WR rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr18 View Post
You are correct, but you're forgetting one thing: momentum change. The Bengals we saw play today wasn't the team that can overcome things like that...
[quote] bengals defense totally unable to cover crossing patterns over the middle as usual!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Graduated Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
While I agree the call was terrible, it's going a bit far to call it a game-changer. The drive resulted in a punt from the Dallas 39. Had the penalty not occurred it would have resulted in a punt from the Dallas 32. That's only a 7 yard difference. But more time ran off the clock, which at that point actually was in the Bengals favor.

End result: Refs aren't to blame for the loss. But the Bengals coaching staff most definitely is. We saw a near collapse in the 2nd half vs the Raiders. Not a huge surprise that eventually our lack of adjustments in the 2nd half would come back to bite us.
bengals defense total inability to pressure romo, and cover crossing patterns over the middle = zimmer [quote]
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3013

Maybe I was tripping because I was watching on a TV that was far away. But can I get confirmation......Express ANY doubt you have.

Did Dez have the ball in his hands, or did the ball make contact with his hands before Reggie hit him?

and...

Did Reggie hit him in the upper body PERFECTLY? Was there any head shot at all?

Because if both those are favorable to Reggie my only conclusion is that we just werent allowed to make a play. Dalton went to Gresam in the endzone and he got popped after the ball hit his hands and they let that slide

Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 670

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
Two officials were right there on the play. The flag came from across the filed from the back judge.

Horrible.
This was my biggest issue with the call. One ref in particular was standing only a few feet from the play, they should been able to conference and get the correct call in that case.

I do understand that they are going to air on the side of caution and are willing to accept some blown plays like that in name of COA and that is what that was.

That being said this call had very little effect on the outcome of the game. This one totally falls at the feet of the players and coaching staff.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:14 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21142

It wasn't a good call by the ref, but didn't cost the Bengals the game. The coaching staff did that by not riding GE and the running game.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
It wasn't a good call by the ref, but didn't cost the Bengals the game. The coaching staff did that by not riding GE and the running game.
There was like 2 plays where Dallas was in like quarter and we still went 5 wide and passed. I was like are we trying to disrespect them?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12495

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU725 View Post
This was my biggest issue with the call. One ref in particular was standing only a few feet from the play, they should been able to conference and get the correct call in that case.

I do understand that they are going to air on the side of caution and are willing to accept some blown plays like that in name of COA and that is what that was.

That being said this call had very little effect on the outcome of the game. This one totally falls at the feet of the players and coaching staff.
I did not see the play live but watched it on replay this morning. It was one of the cleanest hits I have ever seen.

The inconsistency between refs is unbelievable and it is getting out of hand. They throw a flag as if a "hard" hit is always illegal. I can never remember seeing this many games on any given weekend where the refs effected the game as much as I do now.

No excuses because the Steelers played like garbage yesterday but there were several blatant PI calls that were not called and I still think the one TD was a forward pass and should have been ruled incomplete.

You cannot defend against a reciever anymore and try to seperate the ball. I hate to have more replays but calls like that should at least be reviewable because the refs are basically saying "he it happened so fast I'm not sure if it was legal or not but I am throwing the flag anyway just in case".

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3060

As some have stated, the only way this will ever change is if a comittee reviews calls, and then tells us about it. Oh yeah the refs messed up that call, it cost this team this game, etc. We'll work on fixing it and get better. Right now all they say is calls are based on judgement and there is no (public) accountablity for refs blowing calls that change momentum in the game. I could peg probably 4 or 5 (maybe more) calls/non-calls that went in the Cowboys favor yesterday. I know the refs are human, which is why they probably sided with the Cowboys after what they were going through. Sympathy calls.

My solution would be to make penalties, even plays that aren't called, challengable. And after the play is reviewed, the penalty is either confirmed/reversed, or applied if one was not called.

I could not believe how terribly officaiated the game was in the Cowboys favor was yesterday. And if we had squeaked out a win, I would have been saying "Sure glad we won, since the refs were trying to give the game to the Cowboys".

Why do we still invest passion, time and money into this product (NFL) when it's so inconsistant?

Old 12-10-2012, 01:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3584

No matter how ****** the fans are won't even come close to how Reggie felt he was absolutely livid. Best part was 3 plays later Zimmer dailed up the FS blitz. When Romo seen number 20 barreling down on him he didnt even look for the hot read he just plopped right to the ground. Reggie was at least 5 yards away from Romo too.

Last edited by Synric; 12-10-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 PM

Rep Points: 8

the shot that Dez took was clean, and this is coming from a Cowboys fan. there was no helmet to helmet and I thought" WOW what a hit." then saw the flag. penlaties like that need to be reviewed because defenders are having to learn to hit in a different way and how else was the defender supposed to hit Dez? he lead with the shoulder and hit hit Dez from what I saw in the shoulder.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
the shot that Dez took was clean, and this is coming from a Cowboys fan. there was no helmet to helmet and I thought" WOW what a hit." then saw the flag. penlaties like that need to be reviewed because defenders are having to learn to hit in a different way and how else was the defender supposed to hit Dez? he lead with the shoulder and hit hit Dez from what I saw in the shoulder.
Dude defenders these days are asked to play in impossible ways. Why you think scores are so high and everyone is passing more than running. I would put money unless your teams RB is MJD, Steven Jackson, or AP your team passes WAY MORE than they run.

Go outside right now an dplay a pickup game of football with NFL rules. I guaruntee its the hardest thing youve ever done. Now add in that youre probably guarding your bro or cousin or your niehbor or somethin.....These guys have to guard world class athletes like Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson.....its just too hard