Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6278
Default Re: Reggie Nelson's personal foul call....

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey1302 View Post
We can agree to disagree on the magnitude of that penalty.

You are correct in saying that you don'e have to give up points on a drive for it to be unsuccessfull. Hindsight is always 20/20. You might also remember that after the drive stalled at the 49, Huber and the punt coverage team pinned them down at their own 2 yard line. Had the Bengals kicked a field goal, the Cowboys could have taken a touchback on the ensuing kickoff at started at the 20.

It goes both ways.
I can live with that. That call was by no means the only important factor that caused us to lose. Poor clock management, poor play calling, and inability to catch the ball all played a role. My point all along has been that, while not the only factor, that call was one factor.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
I can live with that. That call was by no means the only important factor that caused us to lose. Poor clock management, poor play calling, and inability to catch the ball all played a role. My point all along has been that, while not the only factor, that call was one factor.
I can agree with that assessment.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1771
bengals Re: Reggie Nelson's personal foul call....

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey1302 View Post
We can agree to disagree on the magnitude of that penalty.

You are correct in saying that you don'e have to give up points on a drive for it to be unsuccessfull. Hindsight is always 20/20. You might also remember that after the drive stalled at the 49, Huber and the punt coverage team pinned them down at their own 2 yard line. Had the Bengals kicked a field goal, the Cowboys could have taken a touchback on the ensuing kickoff at started at the 20.

It goes both ways.
bad refs calls have cost us a couple games each year for a number of years. it just goes on and on.that was a terrible call. but nothing will be done about it. the bengals always get the short end of this crap. i mean, it always happens. i just am floored as to why this crap always happens to us.i sometimes think their is alot of money passing hands somewhere. what else can you say. i wonder alot if these games are fixed. seems like it is happening as the same teams always win each and every year. who knows. its just a pull my guts out season AGAIN.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7925

Clean hit.....not helmet to helmet

If this is the new NFL, then just stop kick-offs.....and also play flag football, no more tackling.....I wouldn't watch it anymore, some people might, I wouldn't. It would make for a very sissy Super Bowl.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9798

I think that the Players Association should lobby for rule changes that allow bogus calls like that to be challenged and reviewed. At least calls that result in yardage of 20 or more, those kind of calls can easily be game changers and should be under the most scrutiny. Problem is that Goodell will always side with the refs, and challenging penalties will be looked at as an attack on referee integrity and performance.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1771

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Penalties like should be allowed to be challenged. But it happens.
YOU are so right. this stuff should be a challenge flag by the coaches. this is so wrong. the ref was so wrong and this crap should be allowed to be challenged. but marvin and company will not even raise their voices about this.i would be yelling my aser off to everyone about this.your thoughts. nfl is getting too controlled by the refs and its no fun anymore. seems like the same teams are in the hunt every year. these refs have their favorites. they do live in some city and you can't tell me they lean toward their favorites, and i know cincy is not liked by any refs.we were homered by the refs once again. it *****.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
I think that the Players Association should lobby for rule changes that allow bogus calls like that to be challenged and reviewed. At least calls that result in yardage of 20 or more, those kind of calls can easily be game changers and should be under the most scrutiny. Problem is that Goodell will always side with the refs, and challenging penalties will be looked at as an attack on referee integrity and performance.
I agree.....the ref on top of the play called nothing....the flag came from a ref across the field just because it looked like a hard hit......Marvin Lewis should have been able to throw a challenge flag....the replay would have clearly shown it was a clean hit. 4th down, Cowboys punt. ....I agree with your rule change.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:23 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 56

I guess anytime a player launches him self to try and jar the ball lose it's going to be a penalty. No wonder it's been easier to pass the ball in the NFL all the rules are against the defense that's why some players are playing so tentative.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19459

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I'm not crying over us losing the game.

That said, Mike and Mike said the call was awful, the announcers of the game such as Billick said it was awful. .....It was a clean hit, not head to head.

Nelson did the play as the Commish said players should....

If fined, Nelson should never ever pay it. He should appeal it and he will win because it's very clear the ref blew it.
If fined, he shouldn't even acknowledge that they fined him and just go on about his business like normal. If asked about it by the media, he should say "what fine? I hit everyone cleanly so I couldn't have been fined."

Even Deion Sanders and that whole crew were ragging on the refs for it. It's not like the receiver dropped the ball and he hit him for no reason because the hit jarred the ball loose and it was a clean hit.

Can't other refs who could actually see it overrule that ref?

If he gets fined for that, he should send a bag full of dog **** to Roger Goodell and say "you sent me some, so I'm just returning the favor."

Last edited by bradfritz21; 12-10-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 32

That hit was great play if it takes place before the Goodell era...now it's just a game changing 30 yd penalty that shifted momentum to the cowboys.all my time as a Bengal fan this season has pushed me to the limit...all I can say is thank god for Ohio State Football
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsbalzac2 View Post
That hit was great play if it takes place before the Goodell era...now it's just a game changing 30 yd penalty that shifted momentum to the cowboys.all my time as a Bengal fan this season has pushed me to the limit...all I can say is thank god for Ohio State Football
Thats a great hit under Goodell.....The ref blew it.....I agree with the person who said rule change needed. Coaches should be able to challenge these calls because replay clearly showed it was NOT helmet to helmet as the ref on other side of the field thought. ..The ref blew it...Now to all the refs out there, I'm not saying ref cost us the game, but on this play, the ref blew it big time, and coaches should be able to challenge such plays.

Again, if good clean hits are out, and kick-offs are out, then they might as well be playing flag football or touch football, and that would really be sissy and not worth watching. At that point you wouldn't even need a draft, your Aunt Saddie could play touch football.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 8

It was a significant play, but with a lot of ifs. If you add that 15 yards to where the Bengals drive stalled they may attempt a field goal. If the field goal is good, then maybe we hang on for the win. It's all speculation though, we now how the game turned out. I do agree that it was a horrible call. We need the NFL to make public their asessments of their referees each week. King Roger will never let that happen.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42855

Quote:
You're right. It is apples and oranges. It's only 15% of a drive if you start on the goal line, which is impossible. Therefore a 15-yard penalty holds a greater than 15% (up to 93.75%) effect on each drive until a score or touchback.

For you math kids out there, 15 yards = 15 yards.

It isn't a stretch because a 15 yard penalty is, in fact, the largest fixed-yardage penalty in the game. Period. I wasn't trying to be clever, use hyperbole, or trick you. It is a cold, hard fact that it is the worst penalty that can be called (aside from the variable-yardage pass interference call), and you are saying it is insignificant.

The play you mention is also significant, as is EVERY SINGLE 15-yard penalty throughout the history of the game.
Except it didn't actually cost use 15 yards it only cost 7 yards. If the penalty hadn't have been called Dallas woulda had to punt from the 32, as it turned out they had to punt fron the 39 (Reggie got a 8 yard sack)
So....

For you math kids out there, 15 yards - 8 yards = 7 yards.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
I'm worried that the NFL will be flag football in about 10 years!
At first I loled, then I thought about it for a minute and gasped.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

Bad call, refs screwed up, we're fed up, they took our jobs...............

Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6031

Bad call by the refs. It happens.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6278

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Except it didn't actually cost use 15 yards it only cost 7 yards. If the penalty hadn't have been called Dallas woulda had to punt from the 32, as it turned out they had to punt fron the 39 (Reggie got a 8 yard sack)
So....

You're about 4 hours late to the party on this one. We've moved on. For the sake of argument, that sack could have become a blocked punt, or could have come on the next drive, or (as you seem to be pointing out) not at all. The point is that we'll never know because that referee, like so many others on the field yesterday, had his head up his rear, and that fact had an unfortunate impact on the game.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 312

Quote:
Maybe you should. That was a major turning point.
No it Wasent *******...we got the ball back....it's the dropped int n passes.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3352

The total BS Nelson call, the phantom hands to the face they kept calling on our guys, and the lack of holding calls on the Dallas O line...seems like someone wanted the feel good story of the week to be how Dallas overcame tragedy.....just like KC.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerFan View Post
Bad call by the refs. It happens.
Yes it happens, it happens too often and we dont see any repercussions. Players and teams should be protected in the rules against game changing calls like this one.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:33 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42855

Quote:
Yes it happens, it happens too often and we dont see any repercussions. Players and teams should be protected in the rules against game changing calls like this one.
It wasn't a "game changer".
Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
It wasn't a "game changer".
You dont think that the call deflated the defense in some sort of way? Id say it did more than just move the chains and give Dallas a new set of downs.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:15 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17722

Quote:
You dont think that the call deflated the defense in some sort of way? Id say it did more than just move the chains and give Dallas a new set of downs.
It was a big call from a momentum standpoint. It would also given us three more offensive plays at least. Whi knows?

I was at the game and I said it then, how can a guy throw a flag from 30 yards away while two other guys are standing within 5 to 10 yards of the play call nothing. Why didn't they huddle and discuss it. I find it hard to believe at least one of the two other guys did not get a good view. I know I was on that side of that field in the club section and knew immediately he did not lead with his head or hit the guy in the head.

Just another example of all of the bogus calls the refs make every week. I honestly think the replacements were better at calling the game, just not managing it.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:34 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
It was a big call from a momentum standpoint. It would also given us three more offensive plays at least. Whi knows?

I was at the game and I said it then, how can a guy throw a flag from 30 yards away while two other guys are standing within 5 to 10 yards of the play call nothing. Why didn't they huddle and discuss it. I find it hard to believe at least one of the two other guys did not get a good view. I know I was on that side of that field in the club section and knew immediately he did not lead with his head or hit the guy in the head.

Just another example of all of the bogus calls the refs make every week. I honestly think the replacements were better at calling the game, just not managing it.
Exactly... It is the job of the head official to challenge those kind of flags and keep his officiating team in check. He failed to do that. The flag should have been picked up on the account that two refs who had a better sight and angle of the hit didnt throw it. Its almost like a gang like mentality with the officials they back each others play no matter how wrong the call may be. They know that Goodell will almost never go against any call that they make.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:28 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18488

Quote:
So....

It did cause more time to run off the clock and it definitely changed the mentality of the defense. Instead of a roaring crowd and a punt with a fired up team, guys were ****** and had to play D three more downs.

Butterfly effect.