Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: What should the call have been?
TD!! Jones was forced out of the end zone 27 32.53%
1st and Goal, the illegal contact was before Dalton left the pocket. 23 27.71%
The Refs go the call right. 33 39.76%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:12 PM
BengalTrucker's Avatar
BengalTrucker BengalTrucker is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hiding in my bunker locked and loaded.
Posts: 7,320
Rep Points: 16671
Default Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

I was upset yesterday. I thought the TD catch by Marvin Jones should have stood. Jones was forced out of the end zone, and then came right back in and established himself, then made the catch.

That should have been a TD.

I also think the chuck that forced Jones out of the end zone, was before Dalton left the pocket, so it should have either been an illegal chuck and first and Goal, or the TD should have stood.

Dalton left the pocket after this, you can tell as both Dalton and Jones ran to the sideline. Yet, Jones cam back in bounds and then ran toward the side line. That shows there was time after the illegal contact, before Dalton left the pocket.
__________________
"The Greatest Danger to American Freedom is a Government that Ignores the Constitution"
Thomas Jefferson

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Interceptor's Avatar
Interceptor Interceptor is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: under a rock
Posts: 6,102
Rep Points: 11232
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

TD. Illegal contact at the very least.
__________________




Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:18 PM
tcholas's Avatar
tcholas tcholas is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 289
Rep Points: 291
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
TD. Illegal contact at the very least.

Agreed
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:25 PM
BengalTrucker's Avatar
BengalTrucker BengalTrucker is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hiding in my bunker locked and loaded.
Posts: 7,320
Rep Points: 16671
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

That was a terrible call.

It was plain to see by Jones reaction, that Dalton ran out of the pocket after he came back onto the field of play.

That means it should at the least have been an Illegal Contact, and 1st and Goal.

Marvin Jones was forced out of bounds, the rule says he has to immediately come back in bounds with both feet, then he can catch the ball, as he was forced out of bounds.
However if he goes out of bounds on his own, then he can not be the first to touch the ball.

It was plain to see Jones was pushed out of bounds, which means he can come back in, and catch the TD, as long as he does so immediately, and doesn't gain an advantage from going out of bounds.

That should have been a TOUCH DOWN BENGALS!!!!!
__________________
"The Greatest Danger to American Freedom is a Government that Ignores the Constitution"
Thomas Jefferson

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Jungle93's Avatar
Jungle93 Jungle93 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 412
Rep Points: 616
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
I was upset yesterday. I thought the TD catch by Marvin Jones should have stood. Jones was forced out of the end zone, and then came right back in and established himself, then made the catch.

That should have been a TD.

I also think the chuck that forced Jones out of the end zone, was before Dalton left the pocket, so it should have either been an illegal chuck and first and Goal, or the TD should have stood.

Dalton left the pocket after this, you can tell as both Dalton and Jones ran to the sideline. Yet, Jones cam back in bounds and then ran toward the side line. That shows there was time after the illegal contact, before Dalton left the pocket.
I have not seen the replay. If Jones was pushed before Dalton left the pocket, it should be illegal contact and a touchdown per the NFL rulebook. If he was pushed after Dalton left the pocket, it was the right call...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 PM
CINCYPRODUCT CINCYPRODUCT is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Unfortunately, md
Posts: 1,382
Rep Points: 1656
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

They did some rinka dink replay side by side during the game that showed he was shoved out after Andy left the pocket. But how did the defender know with his back to the qb?
Anywho it was the right call according to the rule when the qb leaves the pocket you can basically rape a WR.
__________________
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater
If Hue Jackson gets the OC job, I will gladly go streaking on streets lined with thumbtacks as I am tazered by leprechauns and urinated on by unicorns.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,236
Rep Points: 7177
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Where's the option for the games over and it doesn't matter?


I was ****** off too, but there isn't any bringing it back.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 PM
BengalTrucker's Avatar
BengalTrucker BengalTrucker is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hiding in my bunker locked and loaded.
Posts: 7,320
Rep Points: 16671
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquicksnap1 View Post
I have not seen the replay. If Jones was pushed before Dalton left the pocket, it should be illegal contact and a touchdown per the NFL rulebook. If he was pushed after Dalton left the pocket, it was the right call...
Jones ran a quick slant/post short yardage. Dalton stood in the pocket till presure got there. It was not a bam bam type of play.
Jones came back in bounds then saw Dalton running to the side line and did the same thing.

It sure looked like Jones was pushed out, before Dalton got any pressure.

It should have been a TD. One Ref called it a TD, after he threw his hat, where Jones was push out.

They had a conference, and they then called it Illegal Touching.

If the REf in the back of the End Zone who threw his hat, and signalled a TD called it that way, with a view of the entire field, it should have been a TD.
__________________
"The Greatest Danger to American Freedom is a Government that Ignores the Constitution"
Thomas Jefferson

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM
BengalTrucker's Avatar
BengalTrucker BengalTrucker is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hiding in my bunker locked and loaded.
Posts: 7,320
Rep Points: 16671
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
They did some rinka dink replay side by side during the game that showed he was shoved out after Andy left the pocket. But how did the defender know with his back to the qb?
Anywho it was the right call according to the rule when the qb leaves the pocket you can basically rape a WR.
I watched the game, and did not see any replay showing Andy left the pocket first, or a side by side view.
Do you have a special TV, that shows thing not normally shown?

They showed a replay showing Jones get pushed out, then a replay of Dalton standing in the pocket, then running to his RT when pressured, and making the throw.
__________________
"The Greatest Danger to American Freedom is a Government that Ignores the Constitution"
Thomas Jefferson

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 PM
CINCYPRODUCT CINCYPRODUCT is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Unfortunately, md
Posts: 1,382
Rep Points: 1656
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
I watched the game, and did not see any replay showing Andy left the pocket first, or a side by side view.
Do you have a special TV, that shows thing not normally shown?

They showed a replay showing Jones get pushed out, then a replay of Dalton standing in the pocket, then running to his RT when pressured, and making the throw.
No I watched on Sunday ticket, billick was the one talking through the game replay, its coming on again tonight you can see it then. I said it was rinka dink replay. But yes I would love to see whole field replay.
__________________
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater
If Hue Jackson gets the OC job, I will gladly go streaking on streets lined with thumbtacks as I am tazered by leprechauns and urinated on by unicorns.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 PM
thompson19osu thompson19osu is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,611
Rep Points: 3204
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
Jones ran a quick slant/post short yardage. Dalton stood in the pocket till presure got there. It was not a bam bam type of play.
Jones came back in bounds then saw Dalton running to the side line and did the same thing.

It sure looked like Jones was pushed out, before Dalton got any pressure.

It should have been a TD. One Ref called it a TD, after he threw his hat, where Jones was push out.

They had a conference, and they then called it Illegal Touching.

If the REf in the back of the End Zone who threw his hat, and signalled a TD called it that way, with a view of the entire field, it should have been a TD.
It wasn't called illegal touching. The ruling was it was perfectly legal since Dalton was apparently outside the pocket.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-11-2012, 09:18 PM
bfine32's Avatar
bfine32 bfine32 is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Radcliff, KY
Posts: 22,659
Rep Points: 42001
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

C'Mon Thursday
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 PM
hacker hacker is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,264
Rep Points: 1367
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
TD. Illegal contact at the very least.
The QB was out of the pocket. No illegal contact occurred. No matter if Jones reestablished himself in play, he still can not be the next to touch the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Jungle93's Avatar
Jungle93 Jungle93 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 412
Rep Points: 616
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
They did some rinka dink replay side by side during the game that showed he was shoved out after Andy left the pocket. But how did the defender know with his back to the qb?
Anywho it was the right call according to the rule when the qb leaves the pocket you can basically rape a WR.
Except once the ball is in the air, pass interference still applies, but this push was before the ball left Dalton's hand, so no PI either.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Jungle93's Avatar
Jungle93 Jungle93 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 412
Rep Points: 616
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

The first and goal option (option 2)listed here is really not an option. If they ruled illegal contact, then Jones would have, by rule, been able to reestablish and make the catch for a touchdown.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 PM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,109
Rep Points: 2917
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

I'm still confused about it, I heard Mike Peria explained it better on the broadcast.
__________________
__________________________________________________ _





This team hab no maaahbulls!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
CINCYPRODUCT CINCYPRODUCT is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Unfortunately, md
Posts: 1,382
Rep Points: 1656
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquicksnap1 View Post
Except once the ball is in the air, pass interference still applies, but this push was before the ball left Dalton's hand, so no PI either.
👍yep.
__________________
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater
If Hue Jackson gets the OC job, I will gladly go streaking on streets lined with thumbtacks as I am tazered by leprechauns and urinated on by unicorns.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
CINCYPRODUCT CINCYPRODUCT is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Unfortunately, md
Posts: 1,382
Rep Points: 1656
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
I'm still confused about it, I heard Mike Peria explained it better on the broadcast.
Basically it's a stupid rule that will probably be changed. I don't see how you can encourage PI and then take it away within the scope of the same play. You can literally commit all the penalties before the ball leaves the qb's hand.
__________________
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater
If Hue Jackson gets the OC job, I will gladly go streaking on streets lined with thumbtacks as I am tazered by leprechauns and urinated on by unicorns.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Jungle93's Avatar
Jungle93 Jungle93 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 412
Rep Points: 616
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
I'm still confused about it, I heard Mike Peria explained it better on the broadcast.
From a combination of rules in the NFL rulebook:

INELIGIBLE RECEIVERS
Article 6 Ineligible Receivers. All offensive players other than those identified in Article 5 above are ineligible to catch a legal or illegal forward pass thrown from behind the line of scrimmage, including:

(d) An eligible receiver who has been out of bounds prior to or during a pass, even if he has reestablished himself inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands. Exception: If an eligible receiver is forced out of bounds by a foul by a defender, including illegal contact, defensive holding, or defensive pass interference, he will become eligible to legally touch the pass (without prior touching by another eligible receiver or defender) as soon as he re-establishes himself inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands.

Note: Once the quarterback hands off or pitches the ball to a back, or if the quarterback leaves the pocket area, the restrictions (illegal chuck, illegal cut) on the defensive team relative to the offensive receivers will end, provided the ball is not in the air.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM
natiboi3's Avatar
natiboi3 natiboi3 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 174
Rep Points: 236
Default

There was a bunch of stuff that didn't go our way. Dropped passes on both offense and defense, unnecessary penalties, poor clock management etc. It's time to forget about this game. It's over. How bout we move our attention to our next game.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Jungle93's Avatar
Jungle93 Jungle93 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 412
Rep Points: 616
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Quote:
Originally Posted by natiboi3 View Post
There was a bunch of stuff that didn't go our way. Dropped passes on both offense and defense, unnecessary penalties, poor clock management etc. It's time to forget about this game. It's over. How bout we move our attention to our next game.
I think people are just trying to understand the rule. I don't think too many on here blame the loss on that call, which appears to have been correct.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 PM
CINCYPRODUCT CINCYPRODUCT is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Unfortunately, md
Posts: 1,382
Rep Points: 1656
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Ok re watching the game it was illegal chuck.
__________________
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater
If Hue Jackson gets the OC job, I will gladly go streaking on streets lined with thumbtacks as I am tazered by leprechauns and urinated on by unicorns.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 PM
ibengals's Avatar
ibengals ibengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,311
Rep Points: 5169
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Good call, stupid rule.

A lot of rules need to be reviewed this offseason in my opinion, and first on that list should be the defenseless receiver rule.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,617
Rep Points: 23899
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Honestly, I don't see how that isn't a TD. I think he would have ran out of the back of the endzone anyway, but as it stands, he got some help with it. That should be illegal contact in my opinion. If he didn't catch the ball, it should have been a first down.....but he did. That should have been a TD.

I don't like when other people complain about the refs, but there were a couple bad calls in this game. I won't act like a Steelers fan and blame the loss on them, but I will point it out.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:33 AM
caddie's Avatar
caddie caddie is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hell, Virginia.
Posts: 2,424
Rep Points: 1581
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
That was a terrible call.

It was plain to see by Jones reaction, that Dalton ran out of the pocket after he came back onto the field of play.

That means it should at the least have been an Illegal Contact, and 1st and Goal.

Marvin Jones was forced out of bounds, the rule says he has to immediately come back in bounds with both feet, then he can catch the ball, as he was forced out of bounds.
However if he goes out of bounds on his own, then he can not be the first to touch the ball.

It was plain to see Jones was pushed out of bounds, which means he can come back in, and catch the TD, as long as he does so immediately, and doesn't gain an advantage from going out of bounds.

That should have been a TOUCH DOWN BENGALS!!!!!
The officials were one of the more suspect aspects of that game. They did not cost us the game all the drops on both sides of the ball did but the refs tried their damnedest to keep the cowboys in the game the entire time.
__________________
Joe From Flo is my Idol. :joe:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.