Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: What should the call have been?
TD!! Jones was forced out of the end zone 27 32.53%
1st and Goal, the illegal contact was before Dalton left the pocket. 23 27.71%
The Refs go the call right. 33 39.76%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2012, 08:12 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671
Default Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

I was upset yesterday. I thought the TD catch by Marvin Jones should have stood. Jones was forced out of the end zone, and then came right back in and established himself, then made the catch.

That should have been a TD.

I also think the chuck that forced Jones out of the end zone, was before Dalton left the pocket, so it should have either been an illegal chuck and first and Goal, or the TD should have stood.

Dalton left the pocket after this, you can tell as both Dalton and Jones ran to the sideline. Yet, Jones cam back in bounds and then ran toward the side line. That shows there was time after the illegal contact, before Dalton left the pocket.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11232
Default Re: Marvin Jones TD, that was taken away

TD. Illegal contact at the very least.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Old 12-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post

Agreed
Old 12-11-2012, 08:25 PM
VIP Gold Member

That was a terrible call.

It was plain to see by Jones reaction, that Dalton ran out of the pocket after he came back onto the field of play.

That means it should at the least have been an Illegal Contact, and 1st and Goal.

Marvin Jones was forced out of bounds, the rule says he has to immediately come back in bounds with both feet, then he can catch the ball, as he was forced out of bounds.
However if he goes out of bounds on his own, then he can not be the first to touch the ball.

It was plain to see Jones was pushed out of bounds, which means he can come back in, and catch the TD, as long as he does so immediately, and doesn't gain an advantage from going out of bounds.

That should have been a TOUCH DOWN BENGALS!!!!!

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 616

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
I was upset yesterday. I thought the TD catch by Marvin Jones should have stood. Jones was forced out of the end zone, and then came right back in and established himself, then made the catch.

That should have been a TD.

I also think the chuck that forced Jones out of the end zone, was before Dalton left the pocket, so it should have either been an illegal chuck and first and Goal, or the TD should have stood.

Dalton left the pocket after this, you can tell as both Dalton and Jones ran to the sideline. Yet, Jones cam back in bounds and then ran toward the side line. That shows there was time after the illegal contact, before Dalton left the pocket.
I have not seen the replay. If Jones was pushed before Dalton left the pocket, it should be illegal contact and a touchdown per the NFL rulebook. If he was pushed after Dalton left the pocket, it was the right call...
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1656

They did some rinka dink replay side by side during the game that showed he was shoved out after Andy left the pocket. But how did the defender know with his back to the qb?
Anywho it was the right call according to the rule when the qb leaves the pocket you can basically rape a WR.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7177

Where's the option for the games over and it doesn't matter?

I was ****** off too, but there isn't any bringing it back.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquicksnap1 View Post
I have not seen the replay. If Jones was pushed before Dalton left the pocket, it should be illegal contact and a touchdown per the NFL rulebook. If he was pushed after Dalton left the pocket, it was the right call...
Jones ran a quick slant/post short yardage. Dalton stood in the pocket till presure got there. It was not a bam bam type of play.
Jones came back in bounds then saw Dalton running to the side line and did the same thing.

It sure looked like Jones was pushed out, before Dalton got any pressure.

It should have been a TD. One Ref called it a TD, after he threw his hat, where Jones was push out.

They had a conference, and they then called it Illegal Touching.

If the REf in the back of the End Zone who threw his hat, and signalled a TD called it that way, with a view of the entire field, it should have been a TD.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
They did some rinka dink replay side by side during the game that showed he was shoved out after Andy left the pocket. But how did the defender know with his back to the qb?
Anywho it was the right call according to the rule when the qb leaves the pocket you can basically rape a WR.
I watched the game, and did not see any replay showing Andy left the pocket first, or a side by side view.
Do you have a special TV, that shows thing not normally shown?

They showed a replay showing Jones get pushed out, then a replay of Dalton standing in the pocket, then running to his RT when pressured, and making the throw.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
I watched the game, and did not see any replay showing Andy left the pocket first, or a side by side view.
Do you have a special TV, that shows thing not normally shown?

They showed a replay showing Jones get pushed out, then a replay of Dalton standing in the pocket, then running to his RT when pressured, and making the throw.
No I watched on Sunday ticket, billick was the one talking through the game replay, its coming on again tonight you can see it then. I said it was rinka dink replay. But yes I would love to see whole field replay.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3204

Quote:
Jones ran a quick slant/post short yardage. Dalton stood in the pocket till presure got there. It was not a bam bam type of play.
Jones came back in bounds then saw Dalton running to the side line and did the same thing.

It sure looked like Jones was pushed out, before Dalton got any pressure.

It should have been a TD. One Ref called it a TD, after he threw his hat, where Jones was push out.

They had a conference, and they then called it Illegal Touching.

If the REf in the back of the End Zone who threw his hat, and signalled a TD called it that way, with a view of the entire field, it should have been a TD.
It wasn't called illegal touching. The ruling was it was perfectly legal since Dalton was apparently outside the pocket.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:18 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42001

C'Mon Thursday
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
The QB was out of the pocket. No illegal contact occurred. No matter if Jones reestablished himself in play, he still can not be the next to touch the ball.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
Except once the ball is in the air, pass interference still applies, but this push was before the ball left Dalton's hand, so no PI either.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM
VIP Member

The first and goal option (option 2)listed here is really not an option. If they ruled illegal contact, then Jones would have, by rule, been able to reestablish and make the catch for a touchdown.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2917

I'm still confused about it, I heard Mike Peria explained it better on the broadcast.

This team hab no maaahbulls!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquicksnap1 View Post
Except once the ball is in the air, pass interference still applies, but this push was before the ball left Dalton's hand, so no PI either.
👍yep.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
I'm still confused about it, I heard Mike Peria explained it better on the broadcast.
Basically it's a stupid rule that will probably be changed. I don't see how you can encourage PI and then take it away within the scope of the same play. You can literally commit all the penalties before the ball leaves the qb's hand.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
From a combination of rules in the NFL rulebook:

INELIGIBLE RECEIVERS
Article 6 Ineligible Receivers. All offensive players other than those identified in Article 5 above are ineligible to catch a legal or illegal forward pass thrown from behind the line of scrimmage, including:

(d) An eligible receiver who has been out of bounds prior to or during a pass, even if he has reestablished himself inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands. Exception: If an eligible receiver is forced out of bounds by a foul by a defender, including illegal contact, defensive holding, or defensive pass interference, he will become eligible to legally touch the pass (without prior touching by another eligible receiver or defender) as soon as he re-establishes himself inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands.

Note: Once the quarterback hands off or pitches the ball to a back, or if the quarterback leaves the pocket area, the restrictions (illegal chuck, illegal cut) on the defensive team relative to the offensive receivers will end, provided the ball is not in the air.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 236

There was a bunch of stuff that didn't go our way. Dropped passes on both offense and defense, unnecessary penalties, poor clock management etc. It's time to forget about this game. It's over. How bout we move our attention to our next game.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natiboi3 View Post
There was a bunch of stuff that didn't go our way. Dropped passes on both offense and defense, unnecessary penalties, poor clock management etc. It's time to forget about this game. It's over. How bout we move our attention to our next game.
I think people are just trying to understand the rule. I don't think too many on here blame the loss on that call, which appears to have been correct.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Ok re watching the game it was illegal chuck.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Good call, stupid rule.

A lot of rules need to be reviewed this offseason in my opinion, and first on that list should be the defenseless receiver rule.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23899

Honestly, I don't see how that isn't a TD. I think he would have ran out of the back of the endzone anyway, but as it stands, he got some help with it. That should be illegal contact in my opinion. If he didn't catch the ball, it should have been a first down.....but he did. That should have been a TD.

I don't like when other people complain about the refs, but there were a couple bad calls in this game. I won't act like a Steelers fan and blame the loss on them, but I will point it out.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1581

Quote:
That was a terrible call.

It was plain to see by Jones reaction, that Dalton ran out of the pocket after he came back onto the field of play.

That means it should at the least have been an Illegal Contact, and 1st and Goal.

Marvin Jones was forced out of bounds, the rule says he has to immediately come back in bounds with both feet, then he can catch the ball, as he was forced out of bounds.
However if he goes out of bounds on his own, then he can not be the first to touch the ball.

It was plain to see Jones was pushed out of bounds, which means he can come back in, and catch the TD, as long as he does so immediately, and doesn't gain an advantage from going out of bounds.

That should have been a TOUCH DOWN BENGALS!!!!!
The officials were one of the more suspect aspects of that game. They did not cost us the game all the drops on both sides of the ball did but the refs tried their damnedest to keep the cowboys in the game the entire time.