Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16307
Default Re: Andy Dalton lacks pocket presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerthis View Post
IMHO, you don't know what --- you talking about!
Have you gone tos chool much?

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-12-2012, 01:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1581

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLEEdOrangeandBlack View Post
Before you all get butt hurt, I am just pointing out what ive noticed since Andy Dalton has been in the league. I am happy with him as our quarterback but am also objective and realistic. If you all dont have NFL rewind then youre missing out. You can really scrutinise and pinpoint weaknesses and strengths. Dalton is great with quick throws, but anytime he has to stand tall in the pocket and let the routes develop he gets happy feet and runs out if the pocket when he thinks there is pressure. But here is the kicker...THERE IS NONE!!!! And he doesnt step up in the pocket for maximum view. He throws way too much on his back foot and i cant count how many times he has missed a wide open man. If we are ever gonna be a legitimate superbowl contender he is gonna need to fix this. The loss today was definately on the receivers for dropping so many balls, especially green. Btw Hawkins is probably gonna be better than welker in the future and Geno deserves the most money of any Bengal on the roster...period

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeIslandFan View Post
Dead on
This is why you are waterboy and scrub. With your powers combined you make almost a complete football thought.

Has Dalton got flushed from the pocket yes. Does he do it often no. I have rewind and I did not see him flee the pocket or get happy feet near the amount you assert he does.

This is effect in itself has multiple aspects
- He does not trust his targets
- His targets are not receivable
- The OL is not creating the lanes he needs
- He does indeed feel pressure
- He believes he can do more when he rolls out from time to time
- We are not establishing the run game when you see him leave the pocket the most

My belif Besides AJ he lacks a consistent and trust worthy target. The Oline is not creating the lanes he needs. We are not establishing the run and coverage is solid down field. Andy is young and still prone to making some mistakes here an there.

I do believe you exaggerate the problem a great deal though. It does happen, that much is true but the fact is he does it so syntactically that when he does the few moments really stand out, especially when they end poorly.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 36311

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
No one said he didn't but he is still better than most of the QB's in the NFL.
Which QB's would you take over him for 2012 and beyond? (I will list the obvious ones first)
  • Peyton Manning
  • Tom Brady
  • Aaron Rodgers
  • Drew Brees
  • Andrew Luck
  • Eli Manning
  • Matt Ryan
  • Matt Schaub
  • Ben Rapistberger
  • Joe Flacco
  • Phillip Rivers
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Mark Sanchez
  • RG3
  • Carson Palmer
  • Jake Locker
  • Chad Henne/Blaine Gabbert
  • Cam Newton
  • Brandon Weeden
  • Russel Wilson
  • Colin Kaepernick/Alex Smith
  • Tony Romo
  • Josh Freeman
  • Jay Cutler
  • Matt Stafford
  • Christian Ponder
  • Brady Quinn/Matt Cassel
  • Sam Bradford
  • John Skelton/Kevin Kolb
  • Nick Foles/Mike Vick
  • Ryan Tannehill
I'm assuming the ones you bolded are who you take over Dalton. They're reasonable, but when you add "and beyond" to the hypothetical, I'm scratching all the AARP's off the list, so Peyton, Rodgers, Brees and Brady are gone.....Father time catches us all, them dudes will not be exceptions.

Big ol' "no thank you" on Eli, dude is all kinds of overrated.

Andrew Luck, RG3, Russell Wilson and Matt Stafford are the one's I'd take over Dalton for now and the future. Peyton, Brady, Brees and Rodgers all make the Bengals SB contenders immediately but are old. Coin flip with Matt Ryan, that dude stepped into an excellent situation and it's only gotten better...... Roddy, Julio, Gonzo, Turner, a division that plays defense like the Pac-12.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:35 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 217

I'll keep Andy for the long term. This wouldn't be discussed if his receivers weren't dropping everything Sunday. We need a strong running game to compliment him though.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27311

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
I'm assuming the ones you bolded are who you take over Dalton. They're reasonable, but when you add "and beyond" to the hypothetical, I'm scratching all the AARP's off the list, so Peyton, Rodgers, Brees and Brady are gone.....Father time catches us all, them dudes will not be exceptions.

Big ol' "no thank you" on Eli, dude is all kinds of overrated.

Andrew Luck, RG3, Russell Wilson and Matt Stafford are the one's I'd take over Dalton for now and the future. Peyton, Brady, Brees and Rodgers all make the Bengals SB contenders immediately but are old. Coin flip with Matt Ryan, that dude stepped into an excellent situation and it's only gotten better...... Roddy, Julio, Gonzo, Turner, a division that plays defense like the Pac-12.
Pretty dead on. Although I would still take Rodgers over Andy. Rodgers just turned 29 last week. He still has at least 7-8 years of elite play left in him. Also, I'm not sold on Luck yet. The Colts are having a fluky season and Luck's individual numbers just don't stack up with what Andy did last year.

I'm a big Stafford fan, but I think thats a coin flip with Andy. Matt Ryan has more weapons and has yet to win a playoff game. I would definitely take RGIII over Andy. That dude is special. I agree that Eli is overrated. Overall, I would take these guys over Andy (for now and beyond):

Aaron Rodgers
RGIII
Rapist (I hate him, but I respect his game)

That's pretty much it. Everyone else is either too old (Manning, Brady), too system reliant (Brees), or not as good/less potential. Then there are some guys that are close, but since it's close, I'd rather stick with what we know:

Matt Stafford
Matt Ryan
Russell Wilson
Andy Luck
Josh Freeman

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Yes, log it.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 757

Pocket presesence would reflect maturity in a quarterback.

The second year quartreback Dalton shows glimpses of maturity.

National Football League franchises are judged by wins and losses and playoff wins.

Quartreback Dalton is 16-13 in regular season games and a playoff loss.

His outlook is always "next year" after more "maturity" has been added to his character. As a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals for 10 years, the promise of "next year" is growing repeatative.

A replacement for quarterback Dalton would be very hard to come by......the franchise has the talent and is coached well enough for my predicted 8-8 in 2012 and 6-10 in 2013, thus eliminating the Cincinnati Bengals from AJ McCarron in 2013. All other quarterbacks are below the talent level of quarterback Dalton

After ten years, the exercise of 157 regular National Football League games and 3 playoff losses, the judgement of the Cincinnati Bengal franchise is one of mediocrity both reflected in players and coaches!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Pocket presesence would reflect maturity in a quarterback.

The second year quartreback Dalton shows glimpses of maturity.

National Football League franchises are judged by wins and losses and playoff wins.

Quartreback Dalton is 16-13 in regular season games and a playoff loss.

His outlook is always "next year" after more "maturity" has been added to his character. As a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals for 10 years, the promise of "next year" is growing repeatative.

A replacement for quarterback Dalton would be very hard to come by......the franchise has the talent and is coached well enough for my predicted 8-8 in 2012 and 6-10 in 2013, thus eliminating the Cincinnati Bengals from AJ McCarron in 2013. All other quarterbacks are below the talent level of quarterback Dalton

After ten years, the exercise of 157 regular National Football League games and 3 playoff losses, the judgement of the Cincinnati Bengal franchise is one of mediocrity both reflected in players and coaches!
You realize with these first two seasons he is compared to PEYTON MANNING AND DAN MARINO?

You aren't a Bengals fan. Why are you allowed to be here? You should have received the ban hammer a long time ago. Here's hoping.