Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:44 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24136
Default Andrew Luck... overrated

Not saying he doesn't have a bright future, but he's getting a ton of hype this year that I feel is undeserved. The Colts are winning and Luck was the #1 overall pick, but his individual performance has not lived up to the hype.

54.9% completions
18 tds
18 ints (most in the NFL)
74.5 passer rating (among the worst in the league)

It's not just the numbers either. I've watched 3 Colts games this year and Luck always seems to make bone headed throws or turnovers. In the Lions game, it seemed like Luck could not hit a receiver unless they were wide open. It boggles my mind how the Colts keep coming out with wins after all these mistakes that Luck makes. Maybe it's just... luck?

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 12-12-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 35470
Default Re: Andrew Luck... overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Not saying he doesn't have a bright future, but he's getting a ton of hype this year that I feel is undeserved. The Colts are winning and Luck was the #1 overall pick, but his individual performance has not lived up to the hype.

54.9% completions
18 tds

It's not just the numbers either. I've watched 3 Colts games this year and Luck always seems to make bone headed throws or turnovers. In the Lions game, it seemed like Luck could not hit a receiver unless they were wide open. It boggles my mind how the Colts keep coming out with wins after all these mistakes that Luck makes. Maybe it's just... luck?
Their defense is as awful as their run game. He's got nothing to fear, nothing to lose, why not just sling it? I'm sure his coaches are telling him this in so many words.....and they're 9-4. Even against that weak schedule they've played, you've gotta the kid some props.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1608

Quote:

54.9% completions
18 tds

There's another QB in the past who also didn't have awesome stats but for some reason, just kept on winning.

His name was Joe Montana.

As a Colts fan, I would rather have the next Joe Montana than the next Dan Marino.

Just sayin'...
Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10330

Last edited by neek; 12-12-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4645

Most of the hype(other than 1st overall/Peyton successor) comes from his ability to win under pressure.

This season, he's had 6 game winning drives(tied with Ryan for league lead), 4 of which were 4th quarter comebacks(also tied for league lead).

He may have bad stats but there's no doubt he wins games. Going from a 1-15 team to a 9-4 team likely to make the playoffs is a huge turn-around.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan4ever View Post
There's another QB in the past who also didn't have awesome stats but for some reason, just kept on winning.

As a Colts fan, I would rather have the next Joe Montana than the next Dan Marino.

Just sayin'...
Joe Montana had BETTER stats than Marino.

63.2% completions
19.7 attempts per TD
38.8 attempts per INT
92.3 passer rating

Marino:

59.4% completions
19.9 att/TD
33.2 att/INT
86.4 passer rating

Marino may have passed a TON and thus put up more yards, but Montana beats him out in every efficiency stat there is.

To Savage: I'm not saying he can't be something special in the future, but he isn't what everyone is making him out to be this year. You don't lead the league in INTs and complete 54% and still win in this league without some luck. RGIII is way better. Heck, I would still take Andy Dalton over Andy Luck.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 12-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 709

I have thought the same thing, Shake. It's becoming more and more evident that the Colts played for Luck last year. You don't go from winning one game all of last year to winning 9 already this year while losing one of your best offensive players in Garcon. With that being said, his stats are nothing short of mediocre.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3226

I find this one a little hard to take. Luck is carrying that team on his shoulders. Crap D. Crap running game. He's one of (if not the ONLY) true bright spot on that team. He has all the intangibles you look for in a QB as well as the physical capabilities that the position requires. I certainly don't think (and don't understand how some DO) he should be in talk for MVP. But overrated, I think he is every bit as good as he was advertised. Russell Wilson has the benefit of a superb defense and running game. RGIII is certainly a better athlete, and has a much better run game. Luck is on his own this year, and has a better record.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8837

reggie wayne is playing like he is 25 yrs old again
4th Dri Archer RB
5th Morgan Breslin LB
6th Andrew Jackson LB
6th Isaiah Crowell RB
7th Zach Moore DE
7th Zac Kerin C
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Carrington Byndom CB
UDFA Jerome Smith RB
UDFA Bryn Renner QB
UDFA Isaiah Burse WR
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Charles Leno G
UDFA AC Leonard TE
http://youtu.be/TOFXFOvqlXE
A wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes
Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17904

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishouldbegm View Post
reggie wayne is playing like he is 25 yrs old again
It is crazy how a 34 year old has 98 receptions and 1,200 yards through 13 games.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKWI88 View Post
I find this one a little hard to take. Luck is carrying that team on his shoulders. Crap D. Crap running game. He's one of (if not the ONLY) true bright spot on that team. He has all the intangibles you look for in a QB as well as the physical capabilities that the position requires. I certainly don't think (and don't understand how some DO) he should be in talk for MVP. But overrated, I think he is every bit as good as he was advertised. Russell Wilson has the benefit of a superb defense and running game. RGIII is certainly a better athlete, and has a much better run game. Luck is on his own this year, and has a better record.
The Colts defense isn't playing as bad as you say. They have had some big lapses (59 points to NE), but they've given up 23 points or less is 8 games. They've given up 13 points or less in 4 games. The Colts have played some BAD teams this year, and I just think their record is deceptive. Without the wins, what has Luck done? His individual performance has been far from impressive. The Colts are just finding teams that implode and can't take advantage of Luck's mistakes. The Lions game was a perfect example.

As for RGIII, don't sell that dude short. He's not just a better athlete, he's a better quarterback, period. Leads the league in passer rating this year. That is an amazing feat as a rookie. I know people think he's Cam Newton part 2, but he's better in every facet than Cam. Give the Skins the schedule the Colts had this year and I bet they have at least 9 wins easy.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:54 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 87298

Missing from your stats is a pretty important one: yards. Luck has 6 300+ yd. games (out of 13 career starts), missing by 3 yards in a 7th game. The previous record for a rookie was 4 (Peyton). He will also very likely crush the rookie record for passing yards in a season as well (3,792 with 3 weeks to get to 4,051).

I don't see the media as overrating him, they barely even talk about him (compared to the non-stop RG3 coverage, at least) while he's breaking records.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7038

Quote:

63.2% completions
19.7 attempts per TD
38.8 attempts per INT
92.3 passer rating

Marino:

59.4% completions
19.9 att/TD
33.2 att/INT
86.4 passer rating

Marino may have passed a TON and thus put up more yards, but Montana beats him out in every efficiency stat there is.

To Savage: I'm not saying he can't be something special in the future, but he isn't what everyone is making him out to be this year. You don't lead the league in INTs and complete 54% and still win in this league without some luck. RGIII is way better. Heck, I would still take Andy Dalton over Andy Luck.
You're first mistake was taking coltsfan31 seriously.

You're second mistake was taking time to prove him wrong ( we all know hes always wrong )

But yeah Luck = Luck.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookdogg7 View Post
Missing from your stats is a pretty important one: yards. Luck has 6 300+ yd. games (out of 13 career starts), missing by 3 yards in a 7th game. The previous record for a rookie was 4 (Peyton). He will also very likely crush the rookie record for passing yards in a season as well (3,792 with 3 weeks to get to 4,051).

I don't see the media as overrating him, they barely even talk about him (compared to the non-stop RG3 coverage, at least) while he's breaking records.
He's also on pace for 661 attempts (behind only Matt Stafford). If he holds that pace, it would be an all-time top 10 season as far as attempts go. So of course he's throwing a lot of 300 yard games.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 76

I can't say overrated, its his first season. However give him the team(defense) Payton had 2-4 years ago I don't think luck could have a winning record with them. But give him at least 3 years to classify if he's overrated.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 934
Lightbulb Re: Andrew Luck... overrated

Quote:
He's also on pace for 661 attempts (behind only Matt Stafford). If he holds that pace, it would be an all-time top 10 season as far as attempts go. So of course he's throwing a lot of 300 yard games.
In addition, of quarterbacks with at least 100 attempts he is tied for 18th in yards per attempt (with Palmer). Yards taken by themselves are meaningless. Yards per attempt is the real measure and Luck is below average when it comes to that.

What baffles me is that people even consider Luck in the conversation for ROY with what RGIII is doing (all rankings include QBs with at leat 100 Attempts).

66.4% (6th)
2902 yards
8.3 yards per attempt (T-1 with Kaepenick/Newton)
18 TDs (T-16)
4 Ints (4th the only ones better, Foles, Kaepernick, Kolb have under 200 attempts.)
Int rate of 1.14%
QB rating of 104.2 (T-1 with Brady)

On top of that

748 yards rushing
6.7 yards per att
6TDs
Old 12-12-2012, 04:34 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7067
bengals Re: Andrew Luck... overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berby6056 View Post
In addition, of quarterbacks with at least 100 attempts he is tied for 18th in yards per attempt (with Palmer). Yards taken by themselves are meaningless. Yards per attempt is the real measure and Luck is below average when it comes to that.

What baffles me is that people even consider Luck in the conversation for ROY with what RGIII is doing (all rankings include QBs with at leat 100 Attempts).

66.4% (6th)
2902 yards
18 TDs (T-16)
4 Ints (4th the only ones better, Foles, Kaepernick, Kolb have under 200 attempts.)
Int rate of 1.14%

On top of that

748 yards rushing
6.7 yards per att
6TDs

I'll take RG111 anyday,
Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berby6056 View Post

66.4% (6th)
2902 yards
18 TDs (T-16)
Int rate of 1.14%

On top of that

748 yards rushing
6.7 yards per att
6TDs
One will be AFC rookie(luck) and one NFC rookie(morris) NFL rookie(rg3) morris might not get NFC who knows. But I believe rg3 will be NFL just for the fact NFC has more rookies playing good, one offense that is, only way a rookie defensive player will get rookie of the year will have to be record breaking, like 16 ints. Same for MVP or sb MVP!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3536

The Colts only won 1 game last year.....soooo I'd say the guy has definately made an impact. He and RG3 will be forever linked and compared but for now, Id say the Colts and Redskins both picked up a couple of very intellegent, very talented quarterbacks.

^ If everyone else saw the world as M B sees it!!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliJack View Post
The Colts only won 1 game last year.....soooo I'd say the guy has definately made an impact. He and RG3 will be forever linked and compared but for now, Id say the Colts and Redskins both picked up a couple of very intellegent, very talented quarterbacks.
I still credit there defense for the most! It is still a different defense then last year, hell if the defense played like they are this year there wouldn't be as much hate on painter because he would of won games and he keep them close till the defense just stopped playing!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliJack View Post
Hey! The Colts won TWO games! Count them "2".

You're trying to cut the total Colts win in 2011 in half! I must protest!

As to your other comments... yeah, I agree. Luck has made quite an impact. And "yes", I'm very happy Luck is the Colts QB.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:23 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2308

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan4ever View Post

Just sayin'...
Tim Tebow?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:02 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 35470

Quote:

63.2% completions
19.7 attempts per TD
38.8 attempts per INT
92.3 passer rating

Marino:

59.4% completions
19.9 att/TD
33.2 att/INT
86.4 passer rating

I'm with you to an extent, he's overrated in terms of what he's doing this year, cuz ppl are just looking at the fact that the Colts are winning and paying no attention to his actual production. But there are obvious reasons why his numbers are not good.

But RG3 and Russell Wilson are both better right now. Relative to those guys, he is overrated, a lot overrated tbph. All things considered, he may be every bit as good as ppl thought he'd be. BUT, individually, his performance this year is actually very average.

Average performance is often indicative of a good QB though, depending on the circumstances.

Personally, I don't see how Wilson isn't rookie of the year though. I don't know why it's even a discussion.

RG3 and Luck both had their jobs from the minute they were drafted. Wilson had to earn his. He had to earn reps with the first team, win the coaches over, win his teammates over...he had to come from no where....and he did just that.

Big Ten beyotch!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:37 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
I'm with you to an extent, he's overrated in terms of what he's doing this year, cuz ppl are just looking at the fact that the Colts are winning and paying no attention to his actual production. But there are obvious reasons why his numbers are not good.

But RG3 and Russell Wilson are both better right now. Relative to those guys, he is overrated, a lot overrated tbph. All things considered, he may be every bit as good as ppl thought he'd be. BUT, individually, his performance this year is actually very average.

Average performance is often indicative of a good QB though, depending on the circumstances.

Personally, I don't see how Wilson isn't rookie of the year though. I don't know why it's even a discussion.

RG3 and Luck both had their jobs from the minute they were drafted. Wilson had to earn his. He had to earn reps with the first team, win the coaches over, win his teammates over...he had to come from no where....and he did just that.

Big Ten beyotch!!!!!!!!!!
I love Russell Wilson (even mocked him to the Bengals before the draft). He's definitely in the conversation for ROY and he's performed better than Luck, but RGIII has been absolutely phenomenal in every facet a QB can be.

He's like a young Mike Vick, except he's already a MUCH better passer than Vick ever was, and he has a good head on his shoulders to boot. If the Skins make the playoffs (it looks like they will), then I don't see how he isn't ROY.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Andrew Luck's leadership and team play is what has inspired the entire Colts team to overachieve this year. That and their emotions towards playing for their sick coach instead of just for themselves.

That's impossible to measure as a "stat", but it makes all the difference in the world when it comes to winning football games.