Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5273
Default Re: Mayock finding it hard to say "I was wrong"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
Arian Foster wasn't "draftable" either.
Or Priest Holmes

In the couple of games I watched at PBS I was really impressed with Burficts hustle and play but I have been fooled in the past by promising rookie seasons, if this kid can keep his head screwed on straight who knows
Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5254

I don't see anything wrong with what Mayock said. At the time of the draft he was undraftable and that's why he wasn't drafted. He had terrible game tape as a senior. He was out-of-shape and showed lazy tendencies on and off the field. He had an increasing number of behavioral issues (which mostly showed up on the field and in practice, not off the field). Then when he had a chance to redeem himself in the pre-draft process he completely blew that off as well.

Like Mayock, I was very critical of Burfict but at the same time I always said if he got his head on straight he could be a good NFL player (which is basically what Mayock said here when he commented that Burfict looked like the guy that was advertised a couple of years ago).

Both Burfict and the coaches deserve tremendous credit for turning around his attitude and work habits. Where I was wrong is that I didn't really have faith that the coaching staff would be able to do that. Certainly not this quickly but I am sure glad that it happened and that I was wrong about that.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
I hope you are correct, but just because a guy plays well as a rookie does not mean he will progress. We will see if the character concerns pop back up or if he handles success well. I am rooting for him, but we forget these are young men who may or may not have fully matured.
Shoot even if he only gets a little better I'll take it, he's a starter as a UDFA. He seems like a good guy off the field dont think he has been arrested or anything. I can remember a couple of times when guys tried to start something with him and he walked away. I would call that progress. The test will be how he handles the offseason training wise.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8960

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
But he didn't get drafted so mayock was right.

Not a sing;e person on this board was yelling Burfict is available draft him! He was an uncontrollable headcase that no team saw fit to waste a draft pick on.

Bengals took a flyer on the kid but the bottom line is all 32 teams passed on him seven times for hos issues at the time of the draft
Actually plenty people. Some people mocked him as high as the 2nd round of the draft on here and were convinced some team would take a chance on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
your statement of starting 11 games is pure hindsight, where were you last April saying we should draft him
The thread is about Mayock admitting he was wrong about Burfict. He was wrong. There is such a thing as being wrong in hindsight. If you were "right" at the time, but wrong with the benefit of hindsight ... that's called being wrong.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8949

Mike was right, the kid was undraftable. He didnt get drafted, because of a poor senior campaign and a horrible combine. The only thing Vontaze can do is keep playing at a high level and squash the hate. Im glad we took a chance on him.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17753

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
Lol his ranking currently had nothing to do with him being drafted is all I'm saying. Even worse he would of been drafted a MLB possibly starting so his ranking as a wlb still is grasping at straws.
And that has to with anything I said, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltime bengalfan View Post
I so glad we got burfict hes gonna be a pro bowler in 2 years ....The kid can play ....I guess the big test comes in the off season when the coaches aint around .......But if you ask me i think we got a great young player for years to come......Watch when he catches up with the speed of the game... ...Hes playing like 2ND YEAR PLAYER IN HIS 1ST 12 GAMES ....I hope it works out for him i love the underdog players ...with something to prove

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
And that has to with anything I said, how?

You put the ranking on this quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...table-burfict/

Just give the kid credit. Many of us were wrong. Why try so hard to hold onto your credibility. It's not the first time he has been wrong and he's still one of my favorite draft guys. I like him much better in that role than a game analysis.
Burfict hasn;t even been top 10 at his position though.

What he's done (switching spots, starting) is commendable no doubt, and people should eat crow on that if they were throttling him, but he hasn't been a consistently good player.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4737

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Mike was right, the kid was undraftable. He didnt get drafted, because of a poor senior campaign and a horrible combine. The only thing Vontaze can do is keep playing at a high level and squash the hate. Im glad we took a chance on him.
I think he skipped his senior year, but I agree Mike was right, he was undraftable. No team thought he was worth even a seventh round comp pick.

He had raw athletic ability and a bad attitude. Marvin taught him how to play linebacker in the NFL, from the ground up. And Marvin taught him how to behave.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:51 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Cannon View Post
I think he skipped his senior year, but I agree Mike was right, he was undraftable. No team thought he was worth even a seventh round comp pick.

He had raw athletic ability and a bad attitude. Marvin taught him how to play linebacker in the NFL, from the ground up. And Marvin taught him how to behave.
I don't buy Marvin and Co taught Burfict everything he knows. Maybe I should enter the draft then. Surely if they got a bum to start they can get me up to par. I never wanted to draft Burfict, but plenty fans wanted to take him late. GM's make mistakes all the time. Half the people they draft each year should have been "undraftable". But they were "draftable" cause they were drafted even though they were out of the league in their 2nd year? Is that how it works? All I'm saying is he held strong to his stance that Burfict was "undraftable" to save face, and his complements went to the coaches. He could have at least given the guy some credit. But then again, sounds like some Bengals fans won't even give him some credit so I may be expecting too much from pundits.

Last edited by jj22; 12-12-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 982

I am curious as to what character issues many of these posts are referring to. He's never been in any trouble with the law, you never hear anything about him being out and acting up, etc.

He's a quiet and shy guy, off the field. On the field, he is a beast. He had a shtty coach at ASU and as a freshman he "pushed" a referee in order to fix the D line, or something like that. From that moment on, he was a favorite target of the refs. There were plenty of "personal foul" calls made that were more than questionable.

Maycock could have said SOMETHING nice about the kid, but not surprised he didn't. I'm not so excited about him calling the game Thursday and hope he doesn't go on and on about Burfict and the draft.

All said, I am just happy we picked him up and he plays for the Bengals, not the Ravens and not Pittsburgh. One day, hopefully sooner than later, he's going to be the Mike we've been missing for the last few years...
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2667

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...table-burfict/

Just give the kid credit. Many of us were wrong. Why try so hard to hold onto your credibility. It's not the first time he has been wrong and he's still one of my favorite draft guys. I like him much better in that role than a game analysis.

I think he was right, he went undrafted and had to prove himself to make a squad
Old 12-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalB View Post
I am curious as to what character issues many of these posts are referring to. He's never been in any trouble with the law, you never hear anything about him being out and acting up, etc.
Multiple failed drug tests was the final straw in him going undrafted. Prior to that he had a knock for being lazy and poorly conditioned as evidenced by his slug like combine performance. He also was viewed as having anger issues and a child like inability to control his temper which showed up on the field in quite regular personal fouls and butting heads with his coach by refusing to come off the field to be disciplined.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 12-12-2012, 02:44 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
Multiple failed drug tests was the final straw in him going undrafted. Prior to that he had a knock for being lazy and poorly conditioned as evidenced by his slug like combine performance. He also was viewed as having anger issues and a child like inability to control his temper which showed up on the field in quite regular personal fouls and butting heads with his coach by refusing to come off the field to be disciplined.
Umm, he didn't have MULTIPLE failed drug tests. He failed one before the combine, for marijuana. He did have weight issues, but obviously they weren't that bad as he certainly was able to be whipped into shape when he got to Cincinnati.

Being "viewed" as and "having" are two different things. I'd get ****** too if every time I was on the field a ref was calling personal foul penalties, just because he can.

Here's a link on a great article from ESPN about Vontaze. Regardless of what Maycock, or anyone for that matter, has to say; I am thrilled that he's a Bengal.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/sto...-espn-magazine
Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6480

Mayock wasn't wrong at all. In fact, he was right. Burfict wasn't draftable. The Bengals didn't draft him, nobody did.

If he kept up with the attitude and preparation that he was showing prior to the draft and in his last year of college, he would be sitting at home right now.