Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2615
Default Bengals Showcase Drafts??? Bengals.com article

It was a very interesting read, but to be honest are they really showcasing their 2012 draft. I think an argument could be made that the draft hasn't really lived up to its billing??

Its funny this article was written because just the other day I was talking with my buddy about this draft. I for one see it as a good draft and I think next year it will feel like we are getting two draft classes. I thought the Bengals should go CB and Guard in round one and they did. What I didn't like was the two Defensive tackles taken within 40 picks of the 2nd and 3rd round. But either way you ccan never have enough depth on the interior lines, plus they werent sure on Pat Sims. Here's the issue though...I think we have all seen the effect Sims has had for the defensive line. Personally, I think they need to make a move to bring him back, so what do you do with all these DT's...It could be like Clinton McDonald. But lets look at the picks
1- Kirkpatrick- Not enough sample size, almost like a red shirt year for him... I think he has the instincts I do question his speed
1a- Zeitler- I think they hit a homerun here
2- Devon Still- Intriguing pick here. I really though Peter Konz the center from Baltimore was the right play, but I understand the thought here. Still played okay when he was in there.
3- Sanu- I do believe he was the right pick at the right time for this system, even before he played a down
3a- Thompson- I understand depth but inactive 3rd rounders seems to be a trend here
4- Charles- getting viable snaps, Like what I see
5- Prater- IR
6- Boom Herron just activated.

As the article states I love our College Free agents....One could argue that some of them were better options....You have to give hats off to the Bengals for players like Burfict and Lamur
You really can't judge a draft for what 3 years....ther problem with this draft is too many guys aren't seeing the field. The 1-3 rounds should be players hitting the turf right away with a chance for impact. Zeitler and Sanu did that. The inactives of Still and Thompson and injuries to Kirk hold me back on this class. But these players should provide value depth and impact next season for this draft to be deemed success.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082
Default Re: Bengals Showcase Drafts??? Bengals.com article

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRAB14 View Post
It was a very interesting read, but to be honest are they really showcasing their 2012 draft. I think an argument could be made that the draft hasn't really lived up to its billing??

As the article states I love our College Free agents....One could argue that some of them were better options....You have to give hats off to the Bengals for players like Burfict and Lamur
You really can't judge a draft for what 3 years....ther problem with this draft is too many guys aren't seeing the field. The 1-3 rounds should be players hitting the turf right away with a chance for impact. Zeitler and Sanu did that. The inactives of Still and Thompson and injuries to Kirk hold me back on this class. But these players should provide value depth and impact next season for this draft to be deemed success.
I had a good laugh at that article. 2012 was just a series of near misses. Still in the 2nd when Konz was on the board. Charles in the 4th when the dynamic Brandon Boykin was there to be had.Shawn prater over Chris Rainey in the 5th. That is just without hindsight, and going off of pre draft buzz and college performance.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8689

Overall, we got a not of contributors.

People think 2011 was a great draft, and it was because we got AJ Green and Dalton...but they were the only 2 rookies to contribute in meaningful ways last year.

Now that Boling is contributing, it looks like a great draft.

The 2012 draft has netted 1 really solid starter so far and a bunch of guys who play. Sanu also looks like he will be a good starter in the Pros.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 45485

I think its a bit early to sing the praises of this draft class, but 10 years from now, it could be remembered as a great one should Kirk, Zeitler, Sanu and Jones all stay healthy.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8689

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
I think its a bit early to sing the praises of this draft class, but 10 years from now, it could be remembered as a great one should Kirk, Zeitler, Sanu and Jones all stay healthy.
Really 2 starters from a draft class is good.

It's crazy that we only have like 4 players on the roster from our 2007 draft or before.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17236

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRAB14 View Post

Its funny this article was written because just the other day I was talking with my buddy about this draft. I for one see it as a good draft and I think next year it will feel like we are getting two draft classes. I thought the Bengals should go CB and Guard in round one and they did. What I didn't like was the two Defensive tackles taken within 40 picks of the 2nd and 3rd round. But either way you ccan never have enough depth on the interior lines, plus they werent sure on Pat Sims. Here's the issue though...I think we have all seen the effect Sims has had for the defensive line. Personally, I think they need to make a move to bring him back, so what do you do with all these DT's...It could be like Clinton McDonald. But lets look at the picks
1- Kirkpatrick- Not enough sample size, almost like a red shirt year for him... I think he has the instincts I do question his speed
1a- Zeitler- I think they hit a homerun here
2- Devon Still- Intriguing pick here. I really though Peter Konz the center from Baltimore was the right play, but I understand the thought here. Still played okay when he was in there.
3- Sanu- I do believe he was the right pick at the right time for this system, even before he played a down
3a- Thompson- I understand depth but inactive 3rd rounders seems to be a trend here
4- Charles- getting viable snaps, Like what I see
5- Prater- IR
6- Boom Herron just activated.

Kons is the starter for ATL and both went to Wisconsin w/ Zeitler

Still and thompson are the product of having better veteran players on the team. Its hard to for people to wrap their heads around us not having to rush rookies into starting at certain positions. Dre is in this catagory also
Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

It was a bad draft as soon as they selected Swagga.
Its Common sense that anyone who calls himself Swagga is going to fail.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by finso View Post
I despise the urbanization of "Swag".
This is swag
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2615

I really thought they would jump all over Konz BUT it is what it is.... Still will be just fine and I do like Thompson.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:43 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29720

I didn't like the Dre pick for several reasons.

Loved the Zeitler pick.

Didn't like that we passed on Lamar Miller and Robert Turbin to take Brandon Thompson after taking Still a round prior.

Liked the Sanu and Jones picks, but wanted a cheap veteran to bridge the gap until they were ready.

Dan Herron was probably my least favorite RB prospect.

In hindsight, it looks like I was right about Dre and Still/Thompson look like career backups at best.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I didn't like the Dre pick for several reasons.

Loved the Zeitler pick.

Didn't like that we passed on Lamar Miller and Robert Turbin to take Brandon Thompson after taking Still a round prior.

Liked the Sanu and Jones picks, but wanted a cheap veteran to bridge the gap until they were ready.

In hindsight, it looks like I was right about Dre and Still/Thompson look like career backups at best.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by finso View Post
And if he pans out, it will be one less thing on your hate list...
Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Not exactly sure what that pic is supposed to mean, but okay.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Not exactly sure what that pic is supposed to mean, but okay.
Well you seemed to enjoy jumping the gun so I thought it would be handy
Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Well you seemed to enjoy jumping the gun so I thought it would be handy
I know I'm jumping the gun. There's a possibility I'm wrong. I just didn't like the Dre and Thompson picks. Thus far, they haven't done anything to make me feel different.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I know I'm jumping the gun. There's a possibility I'm wrong. I just didn't like the Dre and Thompson picks. Thus far, they haven't done anything to make me feel different.
It has been 13 games
Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6799

It is WAY premature to consign Still and Thompson to career backups. More likely is that on our team they will be part of the rotation alone with Geno, Sims and Peko. Dre I give one more year to - if he isn't playing significant snaps next season then he is a bust.

More to the point is the upcoming draft. Hopefully it features OLB picked twice. Also a center fielder type Safety, Trust me - add a pair of OLBs who can cover properly and a proper center fielder to pair with Reggie out there and the D will become positively scary.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2657

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
Kons is the starter for ATL and both went to Wisconsin w/ Zeitler

Still and thompson are the product of having better veteran players on the team. Its hard to for people to wrap their heads around us not having to rush rookies into starting at certain positions. Dre is in this catagory also
Yup. I keep reading and hearing how everyone wants us to be more like Pitt and new England. Pitt, especially, has a history of drafting players for their system and grooming to them to take over someday. Just because still and Thompson haven't played much this doesn't make them busts. Same with dre. We didn't have to rush all our draft picks into starting roles immediately. Only time will tell if they are busts or not, but now is way too early to be judging them.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6419

A couple things:

1. You really can't judge a draft until a few years down the line.

2. That being said, if you are going to judge a draft after 13 games, ANY contribution by a rookie makes them a pretty good pick - IF you are going to judge the draft after 13 games.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:07 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73370

A pro bowl level guard
A starting LB
A starting C (Or very good backup)
2 future starting WRs
Future rotational and starting DT
Contributional TE

That's very good still, and we don't know if anyone else will contribute
Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
I had a good laugh at that article. 2012 was just a series of near misses. Still in the 2nd when Konz was on the board. Charles in the 4th when the dynamic Brandon Boykin was there to be had.Shawn prater over Chris Rainey in the 5th. That is just without hindsight, and going off of pre draft buzz and college performance.
It comes down to a tiny scouting department - and the few they have may not be very good. If Mikey insists on having only a few scouts, I would want them to be the best. Mikey not so much more like cheap than good.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Whitworth
Boling
Cook
Robinson
Zeitler
Smith
Gresham
Charles
Green
Jones
Sanu
Dalton

Johnson
Peko
Atkins
Dunlap
Geathers
Sims
Still
Rey
Vontaze
Lemur
Hall

Yeah, our drafting/scouting has been ****
Old 12-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Rep Points: 51942

Quote:
Really? Come on. Geno Atkins started all of one game and was not a huge part of the rotation his rookie year. Not saying that that these guys are going to be Geno clones, but to say they are going to be career backups after 13 games is a little absurd.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals_Moderator View Post
Really? Come on. Geno Atkins started all of one game and was not a huge part of the rotation his rookie year. Not saying that that these guys are going to be Geno clones, but to say they are going to be career backups after 13 games is a little absurd.
Geno Atkins had 4 sacks in his very first preseason and a ton of hype over that and how he was performing in practice that year. Everyone was griping that he needed to get a shot that year. You don't remember that?

Things can change and I believe I implied that, but as of now, I haven't seen (or heard of) anything special about those 2.

Btw, this thread is about judging this year's draft class. If it's too early to say anything negative, then maybe you should just delete this thread because it's too early to judge it at all quite honestly.

Or am I just not allowed to say anything negative yet. Is that it?

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 12-12-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
Is there a post you made that we can see that shows the picks were not good before hand?