Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:04 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10411
Default Bengals Can Win AFC North

I don't think a lot of people have realized that the Bengals can still win the AFC North. Obviously, they have to win out for a playoff spot, but that's not all they can obtain from winning out.

The Ravens are a good team, but they are slowing down and have a BRUTAL final 3 games. They play the Broncos, Giants, and Bengals. If the Ravens lose all 3 of those games and Bengals win the rest of theirs, the Bengals become the AFC North champs and get a home game. It's kind of crazy to think about that.

But I just wanted to bring that to some board members attention that this team could still be the division champ.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2631
Default Re: Bengals Can Win AFC North

Just another funny twist i'd like to add.

The Ravens can miss the playoffs completely IF

Ravens lose all 3

and Pitt / Cin tie their game while winning their other two games.

Although I think Pitt gets the division title in that scenario.

Just something to keep in mind if you have an annoying Ravens fan of a friend. :)
Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10411

Quote:
Originally Posted by basballguy View Post

Ravens lose all 3

Just something to keep in mind if you have an annoying Ravens fan of a friend. :)
I live in Pittsburgh, so everyone I know is a Steelers fan besides me haha.

And yep, Pittsburgh would get the division title in that scenario because of the division tie-breaker.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8648

Oh, it's crazy that the Bengals can still win the AFCN. Just imagine if they would have beat Dallas and only been 1 game out of first place.

I think this is the reason I'm so freaking ****** off at this past loss.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
Oh, it's crazy that the Bengals can still win the AFCN. Just imagine if they would have beat Dallas and only been 1 game out of first place.

+1
Old 12-12-2012, 06:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2964

Quote:

I'm still ****** too. Missed opportunities all over the place.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3786

Quote:
Hopefully Marvin puts all the Wide Receivers AND Cornerbacks in front of the jugs machine this week.

"I better not see any drops against Philly, because next time it'll be baseballs!"
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2032

They can, but the only real way it'll happen is if we win all of our 3, and the Ravens lose all of their 3. I know if you take all of Baltimore's games individually you'd say 'yup they could lose to the Giants... they could lose to the Broncos... the Bengals could beat them'. Id be a bit surprised if a team as good as them loses ALL of those back-to-back when they still have things to play for though.

But this is part of why the Dallas loss was so bad. We'd have had a seriously decent chance of a division title had we been one game back with 3 to play, considering how difficult the Ravens last 3 games are.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 273

Bengals always put themselves in a strange situation, and fans stay with hearts on the hands
Old 12-12-2012, 06:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 38679

If we beat the Steelers and still end up with the same record as them, would we get the tiebreaker?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1681
bengals Re: Bengals Can Win AFC North

Quote:
Originally Posted by basballguy View Post

Ravens lose all 3

the stoolers have owned us as long as i have been alive and i honestly believe mike tomlin considers marvin lewis as his whipping boy. you would think old marvin would do just about anything to kill the stoolers.i would. how you ever allow this whippin to go on any longer.none of us would, i know.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 44878

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
If we beat the Steelers and still end up with the same record as them, would we get the tiebreaker?

Would come down to record against AFC, I believe. Because if we split with them and beat Baltimore, we would be tied with Steelers in division record, as I understand the next step is conference record.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5386

Quote:

Or Cleveland. Or Miami.

Heck, with all 3 we could be a game in front and playing for a bye. If we only won the home games (CLE & DAL) we'd be tied. Losing to inferior opponents isn't something that "just happened" this week. It's a long-term trend.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17876

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post

It depends on the the divisional record and then the conference record.

If the Ravens win a game, then...

If the Jets[win out] and Colts[lose out] are also tied with the Bengals and Steelers, then the Bengals[5th spot] and the Jets[6th spot] make the playoffs as wild cards!!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3516

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
I don't think a lot of people have realized that the Bengals can still win the AFC North. Obviously, they have to win out for a playoff spot, but that's not all they can obtain from winning out.

The Ravens are a good team, but they are slowing down and have a BRUTAL final 3 games. They play the Broncos, Giants, and Bengals. If the Ravens lose all 3 of those games and Bengals win the rest of theirs, the Bengals become the AFC North champs and get a home game. It's kind of crazy to think about that.

But I just wanted to bring that to some board members attention that this team could still be the division champ.
It is possible, but the more realistic scenario is the Colts fold three times and the Bengals get in at 9-7. The Colts have two games against Houston, who must win out to have home field throughout the playoffs. And they have KC sandwiched between in KC. I know, I know, the Cheifs **** rhino *****, but they DO have a run game. And that is the achillis heel of the Colts. For whatever reason, teams like Tenn and Detroit air it out instead. The Titans had them down 13, and then promptly threw a pick six at their own 5 yard line. I think Luck will be a great NFL QB, but the Colts are not a very good team. They have still been outscored for the year by nearly 40 points. I think in KC, with a healthy Jamal Charles, and Brady Quinn playing much better than Kassel, they at least have a chance.

The Colts lose the third tie breaker (common opponents) by one (the KC game) if they lose out.

As much as I want the Bengals to take the spot from the steelers, rather than be given one by the Colts, it is nonetheless a real possibility.
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3516

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
+1
Guys, I hear ya about missed opportunities. But look at it this way: Would you have really rather won those games and lose the next three and miss the playoffs? Me neither. Maybe those tough losses taught this team a lesson or two. The experiences gained throughout the season could serve this team well moving forward. If we're ****** at the Dallas loss, how do you think the players feel? AJ? A dropped TD and an INT where he didn't come back to the ball? Think Reggie isn't just a little ticked off at that BS personal foul? I hope these guys come out breathing fire and absolutely roll Philly, Patriot-style. We all know this team can do it.

And then they have a full 10 days to rest and prepare for pissburg. Things went pretty well the last time they got extra rest (just ask the Giants).

Beat the steelers in their field, and they have Big Jen, Troy, Brown, and Wallace and ZERO EXCUSES. Then you have essentially knocked them out of the playoffs to get in yourself. Finally took down one of the division foes that everyone said you would not be legit until you beat.

Oh, and if the Bengals and steelers finish tied, the Bengals win due to the third tie breaker: common opponents.....and guess what? The Raiders are the deciding loss. Carson Palmer: The gift that keeps on giving!
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17329

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRacerX View Post
Guys, I hear ya about missed opportunities. But look at it this way: Would you have really rather won those games and lose the next three and miss the playoffs? Me neither. Maybe those tough losses taught this team a lesson or two. The experiences gained throughout the season could serve this team well moving forward. If we're ****** at the Dallas loss, how do you think the players feel? AJ? A dropped TD and an INT where he didn't come back to the ball? Think Reggie isn't just a little ticked off at that BS personal foul? I hope these guys come out breathing fire and absolutely roll Philly, Patriot-style. We all know this team can do it.

And then they have a full 10 days to rest and prepare for pissburg. Things went pretty well the last time they got extra rest (just ask the Giants).

Beat the steelers in their field, and they have Big Jen, Troy, Brown, and Wallace and ZERO EXCUSES. Then you have essentially knocked them out of the playoffs to get in yourself. Finally took down one of the division foes that everyone said you would not be legit until you beat.

Oh, and if the Bengals and steelers finish tied, the Bengals win due to the third tie breaker: common opponents.....and guess what? The Raiders are the deciding loss. Carson Palmer: The gift that keeps on giving!
Sure hope you're right ! I'm wanting so bad to believe this team's best football this season is still to come.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2032

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
Or Cleveland. Or Miami.

Heck, with all 3 we could be a game in front and playing for a bye. If we only won the home games (CLE & DAL) we'd be tied. Losing to inferior opponents isn't something that "just happened" this week. It's a long-term trend.
Yeah thats the annoying thing. The CLE/DAL/MIA losses were all very avoidable. We should really be a 10 win team right now if we had any consistency.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:54 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 47

the Miami/Cleveland losses are the most disgusting to me.

bad teams + rookie QBs and we didn't take care of business, just infuriating.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:09 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post

Sure the Bengals could win the AFC north, but they won't. Marvin is one of the worst game coaches I have ever seen and this will be the reason. Marvin is great brining talent in and coaching the talent, but he is horrible during the game. Book it!!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1884

If they had held on last week I would agree that they could win the North, but now they will have to fight for the Wild Card.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6419

Quote:

That's why when I look back at the 3 horrible losses (Cleveland, Miami and Dallas) I am so irate.

This team would be in the driver's seat right now if they would have won 2 of those games they gave away.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
That's why when I look back at the 3 horrible losses (Cleveland, Miami and Dallas) I am so irate.

This team would be in the driver's seat right now if they would have won 2 of those games they gave away.
Agree 100%, they should have at-least won 2 of those games. 9-4 would be real nice right now, but look at it this way, we get to see what the boys are made of. If they can go on another run and close out at 10-6 it should finally put the naysayers to rest and prove that this team has turned the corner.