Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19839
bengals Re: Playing Cook was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
What does playing Cook over Robinson have to do with WRs dropping balls?

Are you suggesting we shoulda put Cook in for Hawkins or Green?
It had no effect is exactly the point. Follow now? It made zero difference Cook or Robinson. As much point as this thread. The game was lost by blatantly dropped balls on offense and defense and the loss had absolutely zero to do with the center position.

I guess it is just better to call out Cook than those that actually lost the game for us. It is like those whining about Marvin and this loss. The coach had the players in position to make plays they just did not do it. His job is to put them in positions of success. He did this they did not execute.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34203
Default Re: Playing Cook was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
It had no effect is exactly the point. Follow now? It made zero difference Cook or Robinson.
It had a minor effect. It set the team back twice due to penalty. Plus it sent a negative message to the kid that has been holding the OC position down for us admirably.

If we woulda put Roland in for Andre half the plays and they pretty much played slightly worse and Roland got 2 holding calls, would you say it made zero difference?

It shouldn't have happened. If the FO is determined to play Cook, then put him in and roll with him. Are we now Center by committee?

Last edited by bfine32; 12-12-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5112

I'm glad we play tomorrow night, because this board is going to explode haha
Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
I'm glad we play tomorrow night, because this board is going to explode haha
Wait till Friday
Old 12-13-2012, 04:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
It had a minor effect. It set the team back twice due to penalty. Plus it sent a negative message to the kid that has been holding the OC position down for us admirably.

If we woulda put Roland in for Andre half the plays and they pretty much played slightly worse and Roland got 2 holding calls, would you say it made zero difference?

It shouldn't have happened. If the FO is determined to play Cook, then put him in and roll with him. Are we now Center by committee?
I did not realize that Roland is our starting RT. Huh.....learn something new everyday.

Cook is the starting C and I am pretty sure Robinson is aware of it. So what you are saying is once a backup is inserted in the line up that they should keep the job because it is a negative message to take them out? Just want to make sure I have that correct.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31377
Default Re: Playing Coook was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Cook gets paid more, plain and simple.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20718

Quote:

We rotated Andre Smith in at times when he was coming back from injury. They did the same thing with Cook. He hasn't played since the final preseason game, so they were getting him some work to knock the rust off.

I don't see how it's a negative message towards Robinson, either. If anything, he should be buoyed by the fact that he has played well enough that the staff didn't feel obligated to insert Cook into the starting lineup the second he was medically cleared , and are comfortable enough with Robinson that they feel they can work Cook back in slowly.

I still don't see why the bottom line is so hard to understand in all of this. The Bengals have a must win game with the Steelers coming up, and the Steelers have the most complicated blitz package in the entire NFL. The staff feels more comfortable with a veteran like Cook making the line calls in that situation than a rookie free agent.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
I did not realize that Roland is our starting RT. Huh.....learn something new everyday.

Cook is the starting C and I am pretty sure Robinson is aware of it.
...and I did not realize you set the depth chart. According to Bengals.com Robinson is the starting C. Looks like we both learned something.

It's a win-win.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 799

Really not a Cook fan so I maybe a little bias, but if Robinson is healthy and good to play there is no reason at all Cook should be playing ahead of Robinson considering the way Trevor has come in and performed this year. Robinson imo is better at run blocking and pass pro, but not be as good as making play call adjustments at the line over Cook. Again I might have put some of my old Livings hate into hating Cook, but just look how good the line has performed this year without Cook.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
...and I did not realize you set the depth chart. According to Bengals.com Robinson is the starting C. Looks like we both learned something.

It's a win-win.
You don't believe that do you?

I see you do not really care to address the real points brought up by myself and others refuting your point about it being negative.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:46 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 711

Okay, I've seen enough. The line played way better with Robinson as our center. There was no reason to insert Cook into the lineup at this point in the season. Cook was not responsible for all the hits and sacks on Andy last night, but the line as a whole looks discombobulated. Can't explain it, I just know what I see. You could tell the difference in their play when he came into the Dallas game, and you could see it last night. They need to put Robinson back into the lineup.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:05 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
We rotated Andre Smith in at times when he was coming back from injury. They did the same thing with Cook. He hasn't played since the final preseason game, so they were getting him some work to knock the rust off.

I don't see how it's a negative message towards Robinson, either. If anything, he should be buoyed by the fact that he has played well enough that the staff didn't feel obligated to insert Cook into the starting lineup the second he was medically cleared , and are comfortable enough with Robinson that they feel they can work Cook back in slowly.

I still don't see why the bottom line is so hard to understand in all of this. The Bengals have a must win game with the Steelers coming up, and the Steelers have the most complicated blitz package in the entire NFL. The staff feels more comfortable with a veteran like Cook making the line calls in that situation than a rookie free agent.
Knock the rust off of who, Dalton?

If the line calls from the Eagles game are any indication of Cooks expertise, we are screwed. The Bengals coaching staff is suffering from the Drew Stubbs Syndrome.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1251

Quote:
It had no effect is exactly the point. Follow now? It made zero difference Cook or Robinson. As much point as this thread. The game was lost by blatantly dropped balls on offense and defense and the loss had absolutely zero to do with the center position.

I guess it is just better to call out Cook than those that actually lost the game for us. It is like those whining about Marvin and this loss. The coach had the players in position to make plays they just did not do it. His job is to put them in positions of success. He did this they did not execute.

You are right that WR dropping balls had nothing to do with who was at C.... but it is affecting the OL line play putting someone in to a position that is important and was doing just fine with Robinson. Sure, starters do not lose jobs beacuse of injuries but if you are not playing well or are ready to play....why now? During the last 4 games of the season.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Casanova 72-77 View Post
You are right that WR dropping balls had nothing to do with who was at C.... but it is affecting the OL line play putting someone in to a position that is important and was doing just fine with Robinson. Sure, starters do not lose jobs beacuse of injuries but if you are not playing well or are ready to play....why now? During the last 4 games of the season.
It might not affect the ability of WRs to catch the ball but it does affect Daltons ability to put the ball exactly where he wants it due to pressure. I do not like this rotating OL crap didnt like it with Livings/Mathis and hate it more with Cook/Robinson

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
It might not affect the ability of WRs to catch the ball but it does affect Daltons ability to put the ball exactly where he wants it due to pressure. I do not like this rotating OL crap didnt like it with Livings/Mathis and hate it more with Cook/Robinson
Funny how those 2 situations mirror each other...in that WE ALL can see their is a difference in performance.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7662

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcholas View Post
Just remember that he didn't played in a single regular season game and had 2 weeks of practice. Does he really deserves the starting job?
I don't think so... Cook is pretty average imo and has hit his ceiling. Robinson was playing average but hasnt hit his ceiling yet and has showed flashes of great play.

Cincinnati Bengals 2013 AFC North Champs
Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 0

I have to agree. Cook has hit his ceiling. Robinson is young and has much more room to improve. Why mess with a good thing? I dont like playing Cook at all
Old 12-14-2012, 11:04 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 168
Default Make a decision!

Anyone else getting tired of the flip flopping at center these past 2 games? Last week Robinson started, and cook came in.. This week, cook starts, and Robinson comes in.

Make a decision!

Our run game has looked great since faine went down and Robinson stepped in.

Just seems the last 2 games our o-line has been suspect, and I'm sure the flip flopping at center isn't helping.

/rant
Old 12-14-2012, 11:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5052
Default Re: Make a decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsGM View Post
Anyone else getting tired of the flip flopping at center these past 2 games? Last week Robinson started, and cook came in.. This week, cook starts, and Robinson comes in.

Make a decision!

Our run game has looked great since faine went down and Robinson stepped in.

Just seems the last 2 games our o-line has been suspect, and I'm sure the flip flopping at center isn't helping.

/rant
Let's hope that the coaching staff is using this mini-bye to set Robinson in as the starter. Cook had his chance to return. It didn't work.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1846

I must've not been paying attention. When did Robinson come in?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7038

Yeah I think we all noticed this. If it ain't broke dont fix it damnit
Old 12-14-2012, 11:09 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by basballguy View Post
I must've not been paying attention. When did Robinson come in?
Robinson came in and started the 2nd half
Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
Yeah I think we all noticed this. If it ain't broke dont fix it damnit
Marvin LOVES fixing things that aren't broken, and not fixing things that are.

Frustrating as all hell, isn't it?

If Robinson doesn't start next week, I'm not even going to bother watching. I'll know the outcome before the game even kicks off.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6722

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsGM View Post
Robinson came in and started the 2nd half
For how many plays, 2?? I didn't see Robinson at all in the second half.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:18 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 6

I thought this since he was probable for game against cowboys.....