Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17124
Default the Screen game

It seems to me the Bengals lack a screen play in the offense.

Not a bubble screen or the TE screen we try and run but a full on RB screen. We never run it. it is a play that with our athletic guards can be success full and all three backs Benny, Leanord and Scott when healthy would do well in. It would also be an excellent play for Sanu in the backfield where he has lined up before.

in addition our defense does not see it in OTA's and TC because we don't run it and we have issues identifying it.

i think it would help Andy out and be a valuable tool in the offense
Old 12-12-2012, 06:37 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 488

Yeah, agree with the killing two birds with one stone logic too. We seem to get burned with those screen plays a lot, opposing offenses should take advantage of it more often. (Maybe they try but the play is broken up and I haven't noticed, don't flame me!)
Old 12-12-2012, 06:40 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 290
Default Re: the Screen game

The Bengals....for years, have not been able to block properly when they try screen passes....and they haven't learned to defend them.

What the heck is going on here?!

Coaches! Fix it !
Old 12-12-2012, 06:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9617

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnvllbuck View Post
The Bengals....for years, have not been able to block properly when they try screen passes....and they haven't learned to defend them.

What the heck is going on here?!

Coaches! Fix it !
For the offense... I think the answer lies within. What has always been the constant?

Old 12-12-2012, 06:55 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73324

If it never works, don't do it. The TE screen can work, but none of the RBs are quick enough to do a screen well
Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 38654

We've never had a good screen game, or seemed to even want one. I don't get it.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 932

I agree. The screen can b used with bjge, and i also like sanu, but getting the ball to hawk any which way, including the screen would suit me just fine. Hawk should be runnin all pver the field.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 44701

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
If it never works, don't do it. The TE screen can work, but none of the RBs are quick enough to do a screen well

Baloney. Scott and Peerman are plenty quick enough to run an effective screen. I say it falls on Paul Alexander for not being able to coach an effective screen to the OL. A RB screen is a basic play that you see at all levels of football. Why, after all these years as an NFL OL coach, can't PA get professional athletes to execute one??
Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

We have the personell
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16957

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Baloney. Scott and Peerman are plenty quick enough to run an effective screen. I say it falls on Paul Alexander for not being able to coach an effective screen to the OL. A RB screen is a basic play that you see at all levels of football. Why, after all these years as an NFL OL coach, can't PA get professional athletes to execute one??
Agree 100 % Sunset ! The screen play hasn't really been in our playbook as a staple play for years. You can't tell me all of our backs for last ten years have been to slow for screens !
Old 12-12-2012, 09:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3496

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
This. The TE screen has been good for 10 yards EVERY SINGLE TIME they have run it. Which probably explains it's absence. Sheesh. And BJGE was open just past the line as the LBs chased the TEs downfield. Only checked to it once. Take it a couple times and that opens up the deep ball! It boggles the mind, sometimes, as to why the Bengals take the hardest route to get to the end zone.
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73324

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
I'm not saying the OL is good at them, but none of our RBs have the ability. The OL will miss a man, but our RBs can't make a man miss at all. Pllus they don't get upfield quickly enough
Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2657

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post

Not a bubble screen or the TE screen we try and run but a full on RB screen. We never run it. it is a play that with our athletic guards can be success full and all three backs Benny, Leanord and Scott when healthy would do well in. It would also be an excellent play for Sanu in the backfield where he has lined up before.

in addition our defense does not see it in OTA's and TC because we don't run it and we have issues identifying it.

We may have the young and athletic guards to do it now, but Bobbie Williams and Nate livings didn't exactly scream downfield mobility. What was the last athletic guard we had besides steinbach?
Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 669

Coaching>>>>>>>>>> we haven't ran a normal screen in years. Line coach and OC combined, i m 27 a And haven't seen a successful screen ran ever. ( that I recall) but I see teams run them on us and wonder why we never do them
Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRacerX View Post
This. The TE screen has been good for 10 yards EVERY SINGLE TIME they have run it. Which probably explains it's absence. Sheesh. And BJGE was open just past the line as the LBs chased the TEs downfield. Only checked to it once. Take it a couple times and that opens up the deep ball! It boggles the mind, sometimes, as to why the Bengals take the hardest route to get to the end zone.
Thats not a true screen, that's a safety valve.

I am talking about the guard and tackle getting outside and developing the play
Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben zoo 2 View Post
We may have the young and athletic guards to do it now, but Bobbie Williams and Nate livings didn't exactly scream downfield mobility. What was the last athletic guard we had besides steinbach?
We have them now.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:30 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben zoo 2 View Post

We definitely have the right personnel on the roster (when RBs are healthy), to not only run traditional screens, but also for counters and trap plays. Not that any of those should be run to an extreme, but it would be nice for opposing defenses to have to prepare for them, at least.

One particular play that I would like to see the Bengals run a time or two is the middle screen. With the way defenses like to overload the C and come up the guy, it would be very easy to sneak Charles over there from an H-back alignment.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3777

Another part of the RB screen play is the fake handoff and Dalton's isnt great. I do not blame him though because Carson's looked worse I blame the QB coach.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3496

Quote:
Thats not a true screen, that's a safety valve.

I am talking about the guard and tackle getting outside and developing the play
No, the play I am talking about is a true screen. They may not have run in once this year, but had great success (in limited numbers) when they did last year. Donald Lee took one something like 30 yards.

The two lineman slid out ahead of him and he (the TE) back-pedeled and slid further outside, then caught the ball and cut back behind the blockers. Andy set it up well by fixing his eyes on AJ running deep downfield, and the entire defense bit.

That QB look is critical to moving LBs and safeties away from the screen. Dalton should be able to check to a screen when he sees an overload blitz on one side and run it behind the blitz. It is so demoralizing when it works (for the opposing defense).
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
No, the play I am talking about is a true screen. They may not have run in once this year, but had great success (in limited numbers) when they did last year. Donald Lee took one something like 30 yards.

The two lineman slid out ahead of him and he (the TE) back-pedeled and slid further outside, then caught the ball and cut back behind the blockers. Andy set it up well by fixing his eyes on AJ running deep downfield, and the entire defense bit.

That QB look is critical to moving LBs and safeties away from the screen. Dalton should be able to check to a screen when he sees an overload blitz on one side and run it behind the blitz. It is so demoralizing when it works (for the opposing defense).

TE screeens are nice, but this team really needs to run a few structured RB screens. TBCH, I don't think that the Bengals have run an impressive screen pass play since 2008, when Ced Benson took one 79 yds.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:26 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

Oh I got you. A slip screen. And yes Charles blew one wide open.
I think we tried on a couple weeks back with gresh and he either dropped it or there was no gain
Old 12-24-2012, 04:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

i bumped this to further the discussion. In watching the game twice the Steelers blitzed on almost every down. Screens could have worked very well. We also didn't incorporate many slants as hot reads.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:56 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1116

I get a pit in my stomach every time they try and do a screen. Dalton gets picked more times than not when they try to run them. Either that or he's eating grass 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2653

Quote:
i bumped this to further the discussion. In watching the game twice the Steelers blitzed on almost every down. Screens could have worked very well. We also didn't incorporate many slants as hot reads.
Yes, I have said this several times. Instead of Hawk running a 15 yard slant, why are they not using him on screens out of the backfield?
Also when AJ is covered where are the checkdown? This is the perfect chance for Hawk.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 28849

I've been harping on this for some time now. Screens and short easy throws would help give Andy confidence and get him in a rhythm. Seems like every time I watch another team's offense, they have these short routes and screens where the receiver is wide open. Our receivers are almost always covered well.