Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2485
Default Re: Five Straight Passes On Our Last Drive

I completely understand the what the thread is about, and I would have run the ball as well a few times.....BUT

You do realize that 4 of the 5 passing plays resulted in the clock continuing to run.....right?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16516

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post
You asked whether it came from Gruden or Marvin and then you decided to lay blame on Marvin.
I didn't blame Marvin, I just said it wreaked of a Marvin decision, but I'm happy (and disappointed and shocked) that Gruden said that it was his call.

I agree that sometimes you need to go for the throat, but when we're averaging over 7 a carry and their starting nose tackle isn't playing, then you line up and run it down their throats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night's Watch View Post
I completely understand the what the thread is about, and I would have run the ball as well a few times.....BUT

You do realize that 4 of the 5 passing plays resulted in the clock continuing to run.....right?
The one on the second first down was incomplete, which running on first down, even if we'd only get four or five yards (which we likely would have gotten more), sets you up with a ton of options on second down. Also, the play on third down was a sack for a loss of ten yards, so we might have kept the clock running, but also gave them ten yards (net loss of four since we had just gained 6). I would have even liked a run on that third and four because The Law Firm was piling up yards and could have easily gotten four yards.

I'm highly upset with Gruden now because that was a terrible decision.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
People(myself included) complained he played not to lose and would rather run out the clock, well we went for the kill and it didn't work, now that said when your running back is averaging 7.4 yards per run, it's probably smarter to run the ball
You don't have to pass it to go for the kill. If you're destroying them on the ground, that should be suffice.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:20 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16516

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.B. View Post
You don't have to pass it to go for the kill. If you're destroying them on the ground, that should be suffice.
And you can pass without going deep and still go for the kill.

The second first down was an incomplete pass deep to Marvin Jones, whereas if we completed a short one we either get a first down or we're set up to run for the first on second down.

Stupid, stupid play calling, and it wasn't Marv's fault for once.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:45 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utts View Post
If Marvin doesn't provide input to Gruden in situations like that, then something is very wrong. The right thing to do in that context was to mix in the run, and try to kill the clock. As the head coach I'd be whispering that into my OC's ear, but that's just me.
I'd be doing the same thing.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7692

What surprised me on this drive was that we were hiking the ball with lots of time left on the play clock. Thought they should be exhausting it before snapping the ball.

But still would have needed a couple first downs to do it. So guess this is irrelevant anyway.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7692

Anytime something fails it was the wrong call. But all coaches make these bad decisions. The defense was failing us earlier and now it seems it is the offenses turn.

This spells young team. But when they gel and finish plugging the last few holes via the draft. This team is going to be a juggernaut. Coaches included.

Keep the Faith !
Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
We threw it five straight times on our last drive on Sunday, but do you think that came from Gruden or was Marvin trying to go for the kill to keep from getting criticized like he did in '09 when we'd get up a few scores and run dive, dive, curl, punt?

I agree that we can't just call a dive every play and maybe not even two straight runs, but The Law Firm was destroying the Cowboys, so why wouldn't we get 4+ yards a pop and keep the clock moving? That sets up a third down that could be easily gained by a screen or a dump off to the tight end.

I've defended Marvin to no-end but this wreaks of his bad game management skills.
If we'd have run the ball--everyone would be saying it's the same old Marvin conservative play calling--playing not to lose. I had no problem with it--the problem was we didn't execute. You throw the ball because the defense is stacking expecting you to run. Whether we run the ball or throw it.....we need to execute the plays. Execute the plays and there's no issue....we win. Always easy to second guess. As many chances as there were to win the game--there is already plenty of blame to go around.