Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 12-12-2012, 03:44 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 291
Default Slightly different mock

1) Sam Montgomery DE LSU - Due to the depth of linebacker talent in this draft i'm trying a different approach. If we don't resign MJ then DE will be our top priority and even if we do resign him this pick will help the rotation.

2) Alec Ogletree LB Georgia- Slightly undersized but all kinds of talent

2b) Eddie Lacey RB Alabama- Perfect fit for the AFCN. will be our workhorse back once BJGE is done. Has been overshadowed by yeldon this year.

3) Bacarri Rambo S Georgia- Starter along side Reggie Nelson

4) Braxton Cave C ND - O line depth eventual starter

5) Tyrann Mathieu DB - I know some people don't like this pick but in the fifth round its low risk high reward. Even if he only makes an impact on special teams thats fine with me. Everyone needs a playmaker.

6) Michael Williams TE Alabama - Blocking TE from a good school. Pro style offense.

6b) Alex Hurst OT LSU - Oline Depth

7) Marcus Lattimore RB USC- So much talent but who knows what will happen after that terrible injury. Our 7th round pick probably isnt making the final roster anyway. low risk high reward.

Its a little SEC heavy now that i look at it but who knows.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5199
Default Re: Slightly different mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach5690 View Post
1) Sam Montgomery DE LSU

Excellent Start

2) Alec Ogletree LB Georgia- Slightly undersized but all kinds of talent

Perfect follow up

2b) Eddie Lacey RB Alabama- Perfect fit for the AFCN. will be our workhorse back once BJGE is done. Has been overshadowed by yeldon this year.

I am starting to feel the love.

3) Bacarri Rambo S Georgia- Starter along side Reggie Nelson

Ah yeah, dont stop!

4) Braxton Cave C ND - O line depth eventual starter

no, not there.

5) Tyrann Mathieu DB - I know some people don't like this pick but in the fifth round its low risk high reward. Even if he only makes an impact on special teams thats fine with me. Everyone needs a playmaker.

Aw yeah, were rolling now

6) Michael Williams TE Alabama - Blocking TE from a good school. Pro style offense.

Still rolling

6b) Alex Hurst OT LSU - Oline Depth

Nice finish.

7) Marcus Lattimore RB USC- So much talent but who knows what will happen after that terrible injury. Our 6th round comp probably isnt making the final roster anyway. low risk high reward.

Have to take him if he is there

Its a little SEC heavy now that i look at it but who knows.
Replies in bold. Well done, I endorse this draft,
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Couple things

1- there is NO SUCH THING as too much SEC, the conference makes NFL stars, then teams like us select them

2- Lacy looks good, but if BGJE is here for the next couple years, I don't want Lacy on the sideline for that long. We need a change of pace back, which in our case is a speed back, not a power back.

3- Other than that, amazing draft.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 12-12-2012, 04:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6698

Tough to get on board with a backup or rotational player with our 1st rounder.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 48605

Overall, I love that draft. Not going to nitpick it apart.

If it did turn out like that, I'd have to sell my wifes car and buy season tickets.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3335

I wouldn't call choosing a DE in round 1 as something different. Plenty of mocks are choosing a DE in round 1. Unless you mean that you personally are doing something different, as you didn't want a DE in round 1.

We don't get a round 7, but Lattimore would be awesome that late. I think he goes earlier (Round 5?). Too much talent to fall that far, even if he may not play for the first year.

Too much OL picks given the emergence of Robinson and Cook being back. We have the following OL still on payroll for next year: Whitworth, Collins, Zeitler, Boling, Cook, Robinson, Wharton. Hopefully Smith is re-signed as well. I don't see us taking more than one OL, and most likely not a C. Then again, I didn't think we'd take two DTs last year either, so who knows.

I love Lacy. However, I wonder whether we bother going for a complete RB like Lacy versus going for a speedy, COP RB like Ellington or Barner to pair with BJGE. Regardless, I have no problems picking Lacy.

Ogletree looks to be a very versatile linebacker, but could use a bit more muscle, especially for the AFC North. Good chance he will build it within a couple years in the NFL, so not too worried about that. He would allow the Bengals to be flexible in moving linebackers around to where they are best suited.

Finally, Michael Williams is awesome and I think could be that missing link to really boost our running game. Williams and a drafted RB should boost this offense greatly.

Overall, good draft. The first three rounds are the most important (IMO) and you've selected good players in positions of need without reaching. I'm just not a fan of the round 4 and 5 selections. But that's just personal preference.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30406

1. If we do not re-sign MJ we MIGHT draft a DE in 1 (I still have my doubts). If we do, I would be shocked if we did.
2. Good pick if he lasts that long.
2b. Agree with Natikid. BJGE has been great since the O-line started playing so well. Give me a home run threat RB.
3. See 2.
4. Center is a wasted pick. We have a solid 2-deep for years to come.
5. After his issues this year, I wouldn't touch him, and I don't think the Bengals will either. Not with a draft pick anyway. MAYBE as a CFA.
6. Not going to complain too much about a 6.
6b. Like it.
7. Don't currently have a 7 (may get one as a comp). But someone will take a gamble on Lattimore much earlier than that.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
1. If we do not re-sign MJ we MIGHT draft a DE in 1 (I still have my doubts). If we do, I would be shocked if we did.
2. Good pick if he lasts that long.
2b. Agree with Natikid. BJGE has been great since the O-line started playing so well. Give me a home run threat RB.
3. See 2.
4. Center is a wasted pick. We have a solid 2-deep for years to come.
5. After his issues this year, I wouldn't touch him, and I don't think the Bengals will either. Not with a draft pick anyway. MAYBE as a CFA.
6. Not going to complain too much about a 6.
6b. Like it.
7. Don't currently have a 7 (may get one as a comp). But someone will take a gamble on Lattimore much earlier than that.
Even if they do resign MJ that means only Anderson, MJ, and Dunlap are under contract at Defensive End. With Dunlap and Anderson contracts up in 2014. I can see some 3-4 team giving Geathers more money than the Bengals to play end. Gilberry, someone might give him more playing time and maybe some money to go with it. They really need 4 defensive ends on game day so if they draft one early it wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited by Synric; 12-12-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
Even if they do resign MJ that means only Anderson, MJ, and Dunlap are under contract at Defensive End. With Dunlap and Anderson contracts up in 2014. I can see some 3-4 team giving Geathers more money than the Bengals to play end. Gilberry, someone might give him more playing time and maybe some money to go with it. They really need 4 defensive ends on game day so if they draft one early it wouldn't surprise me.
I'm not saying we would not draft a DE. I'm just not convinced it would be in the first round.

What do all of our current D-linemen have in common? None of them were first round picks.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
I'm not saying we would not draft a DE. I'm just not convinced it would be in the first round.

What do all of our current D-linemen have in common? None of them were first round picks.
Very True. I also don't see them drafting a Safety in the first 3 rounds because well they never do and have needed a safety for YEARS. LoL
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Very True. I also don't see them drafting a Safety in the first 3 rounds because well they never do and have needed a safety for YEARS. LoL
I could see them drafting a safety earlier this year. They don't put a high value on the position, and in past years there has always been a greater need. I don't think that's true this year. And the new rookie salary structure makes it more financially palatable.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
I could see them drafting a safety earlier this year. They don't put a high value on the position, and in past years there has always been a greater need. I don't think that's true this year. And the new rookie salary structure makes it more financially palatable.
LoL we all said that last year when they took iloka in the 5th. Also needed one the year before when they took Sands in the 5th. (Still pulling for Sands!)
Old 12-13-2012, 12:05 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
Haha if we're looking at a standpoint of drafting based on history...

1. CB
2. LB
2b. LB
3. CB
4. DLine
5. S
6. Scrub

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6698

Quote:
Well, the same thing was said about TE a few years ago and we ended up taking Gresham.

The same thing was said about OG last year and we took Zeitler.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
Well, the same thing was said about TE a few years ago and we ended up taking Gresham.

The same thing was said about OG last year and we took Zeitler.
They've taken a guard at 33 which is one spot removed from the 1st round and they've taken like three 3rd round TE's that just never panned out. Now Safety they haven't taken one higher than the 4th round since what '91 or '92...
Old 12-13-2012, 02:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23995

Completely against a first round DE, as the bust percentage on them is very high. Plus the Bengals could still re-sign Johnson, which makes more sense. In addition, they could nab a safer pick in a position of bigger need, LB, S, and improve the team much more.

Not a fan of a center, as Robinson is looking very good and Cook would be a solid back up. Lacy is good, but think the Bengals need a back with more speed, like Gillislee. But RB is a need and you addressed it, so still like the mock.

B-
Old 12-13-2012, 07:21 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
Tough to get on board with a backup or rotational player with our 1st rounder.
I dont think its too far fetched to imagine Montgomery starting over ANY of our inconsistent DE's