Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2747
Default Anti-Cincinnati market even for TNF

I realize that networks are always focusing on large markets, as a norm (even though the majority of the US population is in small markets). The weird part that really gets me is that Thursday Night Football is an NFL Network product, and yet NFL.com isn't even building up any real hype for their own product. I'm willing to bet that the KC Chiefs vs the Jacksonville Jaguars would get more promo! ESPN Radio is loaded with the over-played Assassin-Gate (N.O. Saint's) and Dez's finger... but only 5 minutes of TNF... and 4 of those minutes are about Philly. Sorry, ya'll, but this is real goofy. It makes one wonder what the heck is going on?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:56 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 39486
Default Re: Anti-Cincinnati market even for TNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor24 View Post
I realize that networks are always focusing on large markets, as a norm (even though the majority of the US population is in small markets). The weird part that really gets me is that Thursday Night Football is an NFL Network product, and yet NFL.com isn't even building up any real hype for their own product. I'm willing to bet that the KC Chiefs vs the Jacksonville Jaguars would get more promo! ESPN Radio is loaded with the over-played Assassin-Gate (N.O. Saint's) and Dez's finger... but only 5 minutes of TNF... and 4 of those minutes are about Philly. Sorry, ya'll, but this is real goofy. It makes one wonder what the heck is going on?
Why would ESPN pump up the TNF game? They're the compitition.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 963

NFL.com is an entirely separate entity from NFL Network. NFL Network has a commercial for the game about every 12 seconds.

From ESPN's perspective, this game is not very significant and carries little national interest. The little interest there is mostly for watching the trainwreck that is the Eagles' season, so it shouldn't surprise you that they would get most of their focus.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076

Thursday Night Football isn't that exciting.

WEEK 2

Thursday, Sept. 13

Chicago at Green Bay, 8:20pm (NFL Network)
WEEK 3

Thursday, Sept. 20

N.Y. Giants at Carolina, 8:20pm (NFL Network)
WEEK 4

Thursday, Sept. 27
Cleveland at Baltimore, 8:20pm (NFL Network)
WEEK 5

Thursday, Oct. 4

Arizona at St. Louis, 8:20pm (NFL Network)
WEEK 6

Thursday, Oct. 11

Pittsburgh at Tennessee, 8:20pm (NFL Network)
WEEK 7

Thursday, Oct. 18

Seattle at San Francisco, 8:20pm (NFL Network)
WEEK 8

Thursday, Oct. 25

Tampa Bay at Minnesota, 8:20pm (NFL Network)
WEEK 9

Thursday, Nov. 1

Kansas City at San Diego, 8:20pm (NFL Network)
WEEK 10

Thursday, Nov. 8

Indianapolis at Jacksonville, 8:20pm (NFL Network)
WEEK 11

Thursday, Nov. 15
Miami at Buffalo, 8:20pm (NFL Network)
WEEK 13

Thursday, Nov. 29
New Orleans at Atlanta, 8:20pm (NFL Network)
WEEK 14

Thursday, Dec. 6

Denver at Oakland, 8:20pm (NFL Network)
WEEK 15

Thursday, Dec. 13

Cincinnati at Philadelphia, 8:20pm (NFL Network)

Thank god this is the last week for it. Minus a couple weeks, the Thursday Night games were pretty, well...boring.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6525

NFL Network has been pushing the game aggressively for a week now. And the last two days it has been all they talked about.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3136

Are you worried that you're going to forget the game is on??

Who cares about commercials?
Honestly, I don't care if anyone else is watching as long as the game is on tv.
Why does stuff like this bother people?
Old 12-13-2012, 01:42 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 188

if our d-line doesn't get consistent pressure we will loose
Old 12-13-2012, 02:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyaoutkast View Post
if our d-line doesn't get consistent pressure we will loose
Isn't that true for any game.....😱
Old 12-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 56

If we lose this game I will be beyond ******.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 23643

NFL AM finished out with their TNF picks (all chose the Bengals to win) and then talked about Geno Atkins...that was pretty cool.
Fluff so hard all the dudes wanna find me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal John View Post
My favorite is balls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
Ask him if you could tag team.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 174

Quote:

I agree with you 100%. I went to NFL.com earlier today and saw that they were featuring a story about how the Steelers would be the Cowboys on the day that the Bengals play prime time on their own network. Insult to injury there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPanda View Post
NFL.com is an entirely separate entity from NFL Network. NFL Network has a commercial for the game about every 12 seconds.

Why would they be separate entities?
Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20YearsAndStillBelieving View Post
Why would they be separate entities?
NFL Network wants your eyeballs on your TV and NFL.com wants your eyeballs on your monitor. NFLN is going to heavily promote its own TV programming and NFL.com is going to promote whatever content brings people there. They're not exactly competitors, but they are separate things with their own agendas.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17876

Quote:

Why did you post this? Why would ESPN help the NFL network?

Would Fox promote NBC's Sunday game of the week if Dallas played Washington?

Would CBS promote ABC's Monday night Football if New England played Denver?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18694

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Why would ESPN pump up the TNF game? They're the compitition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPanda View Post

From ESPN's perspective, this game is not very significant and carries little national interest. The little interest there is mostly for watching the trainwreck that is the Eagles' season, so it shouldn't surprise you that they would get most of their focus.
I would think that NFL.com and ESPN would try to pump up the game just because the NFL as a whole is a huge market and the Thursday night game is the only game on, so why not try and build the NFL interest as a whole?

One possible explanation for ESPN is that they're trying to keep the game quiet so people get mad that they'd have to buy the NFL Network to find out more about the game, which might **** people off and cause the NFL to let ESPN carry the Thursday Night games (seems far-fetched, but who the hell knows).

I think it's probably just because we're the red-headed step-child of media markets here in Greater Cincinnati and, with the Eagles being horrible, they think nobody will give a ****.

What they're not realizing is that this has playoff implications for the Steelers, Ravens, and even the Jets, so those big market fans will be interested.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2747

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post

Why did you post this? Why would ESPN help the NFL network?

Would Fox promote NBC's Sunday game of the week if Dallas played Washington?

Would CBS promote ABC's Monday night Football if New England played Denver?
This isn't an issue of ESPN promoting NFL Network. ESPN is a SPORTS network that promotes/benefits from sports. They talk about all NFL games, regardless of the network that's showing them. All season long they've spent huge air time talking about TNF... just that this game hasn't gotten any real discussion. I mean the Bengals are still in the playoff race and under normal conditions that alone would get major discussion on ESPN. The main air time has been on 'Cancelling Kick-Offs', 'Assassin Gate', 'Dez's finger', who's playing who on Sunday (none of those games are on ESPN) and other light weight talk. I continue to say that this is really weird, and reeks of conspiracy.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:25 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
so why not try and build the NFL interest as a whole?

I think it's probably just because we're the red-headed step-child of media markets here in Greater Cincinnati and, with the Eagles being horrible, they think nobody will give a ****.
I think both of those things are true. ESPN is building NFL interest by talking about the NFL, just not our game, probably because of what you just said.

This game sort of has playoff implications, but because of their match up next week, a loss doesn't really hurt the Bengals, and a win doesn't really hurt the Steelers. The Ravens are already really likely to win the division, so this game doesn't really matter all that much to them either.

The reality is the game just doesn't matter in a way they can promote ("Bengals season on the line!") and there's just not many story lines here that haven't already been saturated thoroughly (Reid, Eagles Season, Vick, etc).

Now I would be very surprised if they don't give substantial coverage for the Steelers game, though.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10411

I just take it as they all believe the Bengals are going to win, as do a lot of people, so why talk about it so much?

But either way, they'll talk about the Bengals a lot next week. Guarantee it.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 12-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1994

As much as I like football, Thursday night games need to stop. The product has become watered down with 3 days of the week.

As far as the OP, Cincy has always been one of the least popular teams in the league. It should be no surprise they don't get much attention, which I'm happy about. Look at the Jets and all the crap they have to deal with
Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17876

Quote:
This isn't an issue of ESPN promoting NFL Network. ESPN is a SPORTS network that promotes/benefits from sports. They talk about all NFL games, regardless of the network that's showing them. All season long they've spent huge air time talking about TNF... just that this game hasn't gotten any real discussion. I mean the Bengals are still in the playoff race and under normal conditions that alone would get major discussion on ESPN. The main air time has been on 'Cancelling Kick-Offs', 'Assassin Gate', 'Dez's finger', who's playing who on Sunday (none of those games are on ESPN) and other light weight talk. I continue to say that this is really weird, and reeks of conspiracy.

Last edited by BengalYankee; 12-13-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Happy Pants View Post
As much as I like football, Thursday night games need to stop. The product has become watered down with 3 days of the week.

As far as the OP, Cincy has always been one of the least popular teams in the league. It should be no surprise they don't get much attention, which I'm happy about. Look at the Jets and all the crap they have to deal with
Seeing as how there's only one game on two of the three nights, I disagree.

The Thursday Night game gives people their fix that itch to see football all the time.

With no Thursday Night Football, you only get 4 possible games to watch with the 1:15/4:15/8:30, and then Monday Night games, which a lot of people are out partying/tailgating/celebrating their team's game on Sunday, so they don't even see any other games.

The Thursday Night games give people a break from the norm and something to look forward to mid-week.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 489

Sky Sports have this game live tonight (this morning here in Britain (1:20am)) and has very few adverts... when you guys get adverts, we get pundits talking through the plays that have just been. We don't do adverts as much over this side of the pond.

You might find a sky sports stream like the one I use on the interweb if your lucky.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 38679

I'd like to ask Deion Sanders who the Cincinnati Bingles are.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
I'd like to ask Deion Sanders WHO DEY Cincinnati Bingles are.
Corrected
Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1870

Quote:
Just hope the refs aren't part of it.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

It should be remembered that the NFL are selling Thursday night live football TV rights globally for Mucho Mullah ( $ )...as long as that is happening, then it will continue!