Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 PM
grnvllbuck grnvllbuck is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, OH
Posts: 584
Rep Points: 290
Default Barrett Jones C Alabama

I know some of you are satisfied with our personnel at Center...some not so much.

If he falls to us in the 2nd round, is he a consideration?

He can play any position on the OL.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-13-2012, 04:25 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

We have no use for him right now with the C's we have. We'll pass because we have more pressing needs.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-13-2012, 04:50 PM
BengalRugby's Avatar
BengalRugby BengalRugby is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Living in your head
Posts: 11,135
Rep Points: 21337
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Like what I've seen from Robinson, so don't believe center is a need next season. Though I don't think the Bengals will be smart enough to continue to play Robinson, so maybe drafting one will be the only way the coaching staff will bench Cook...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 PM
wolfkaosaun's Avatar
wolfkaosaun wolfkaosaun is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 6,643
Rep Points: 10260
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

I wanted Barrett Jones earlier in the season when we didn't see Robinson play. Now? I am happy with how Robinson has played, and I think he deserves to be the starter.

If he is there in the 2nd round, it's tempting to take him, but I don't think they will.
__________________

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-13-2012, 05:33 PM
coachmcneil71's Avatar
coachmcneil71 coachmcneil71 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tin pan alley!
Posts: 2,577
Rep Points: 7952
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

I have met Barret Jones personally and shook his hand. He is a leader among men.
I witnessed it in person. In the spring several members of Bama's o-line and and bunch of hotties came into a restaurant where I work. There were probably 30 of them and it was spring break.
Long story short I am a musician and some of them were getting a little to wild towards the end. All B.Jones had to do was give a couple of them the look and they calmed right back down. These were big boys themselves mind you and those boys wilted at his disapproving gaze.Don't get me wrong we all had a blast and everyone minded their manners and was great.
Their favorite song that I played was "Dixie Land Delight" by.....Alabama of course.
He is a fine young man, big, versatile, smart, and immediately, and I mean immediately, gives a teams locker room an A.Whitworth type of presence.
With Robinson playing well it may change things but I'm all for a player and leader like B.Jones all day everyday.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Burma's Avatar
Burma Burma is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,462
Rep Points: 5082
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Hard to pass him by in the 2nd. Robinson should not be a consideration here. He is a Guard forced to play center. I would much rather have Robinson as the super sup for G and Cooke backing up Jones than our current situation. If we expect to have a great line it has to have very good starters and key depth. Right now we have 4/5 of the starters and a ham sandwhich backing up guard.
__________________
Quote:
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Jasonew6's Avatar
Jasonew6 Jasonew6 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,628
Rep Points: 29285
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

He probably won't make it to 2, and we have greater needs than center to take him.
__________________

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 PM
grnvllbuck grnvllbuck is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, OH
Posts: 584
Rep Points: 290
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
He probably won't make it to 2, and we have greater needs than center to take him.
Exactly, he has 1st round/early 2nd round rating. He is projected as a Center in the NFL, but can also play OG and OT. A lot of value if somehow falls to us in the second round.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-14-2012, 02:26 AM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,661
Rep Points: 18120
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnvllbuck View Post
Exactly, he has 1st round/early 2nd round rating. He is projected as a Center in the NFL, but can also play OG and OT. A lot of value if somehow falls to us in the second round.
But we don't need a project guy like that.

Robindon holds it down at center (why was Cook in at all tonight?) our guards and tackles are set,

You could say maybe for a backup, but we have bigger needs early than a backup.
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-14-2012, 07:25 AM
OSU725 OSU725 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,236
Rep Points: 688
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
But we don't need a project guy like that.

Robindon holds it down at center (why was Cook in at all tonight?) our guards and tackles are set,

You could say maybe for a backup, but we have bigger needs early than a backup.
I don't think he is a project. I think he has played C, OG, and OT at the highest level in in college football. If he is there in the second (which I doubt he will be) they should think long and hard about drafting him.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-14-2012, 10:54 AM
grnvllbuck grnvllbuck is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, OH
Posts: 584
Rep Points: 290
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU725 View Post
I don't think he is a project. I think he has played C, OG, and OT at the highest level in in college football. If he is there in the second (which I doubt he will be) they should think long and hard about drafting him.

Early second round with Oakland's pick? Would be GREAT value to complete our OL.

*This is all based on the Bengals signing MJ, so DE is not a huge need.

If Barret Jones available with our first pick in Rd 2 , my draft would be:

1) OLB C.J. Mosley
2) OL/C Barret Jones
2)CB Best available
3) DE/WR Best available
4) RB/KR Kenjon Barner
5)
6) LB Etienne Sabino tOSU Huge value here, injured this year so his numbers were down. But I really think this guy will be starting for some NFL team next Fall.
6)

Last edited by grnvllbuck; 12-14-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-14-2012, 01:42 PM
wolfkaosaun's Avatar
wolfkaosaun wolfkaosaun is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 6,643
Rep Points: 10260
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
But we don't need a project guy like that.

Robindon holds it down at center (why was Cook in at all tonight?) our guards and tackles are set,

You could say maybe for a backup, but we have bigger needs early than a backup.
Why is he in period anymore. The O-line just hasn't looked the same with him back.

With Cook back these 2 games, Dalton has been sacked 11 times.

During the 4 game winning streak with Robinson in? Sacked 5 times.
__________________

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-14-2012, 01:49 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,618
Rep Points: 22666
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Why is he in period anymore. The O-line just hasn't looked the same with him back.

With Cook back these 2 games, Dalton has been sacked 11 times.

During the 4 game winning streak with Robinson in? Sacked 5 times.
Yes. Kyle Cook was why Andre got ***** smacked like a little kid yesterday
He was why Boling played like a college freshman.
Chemistry only goes so far. Bengals got beat up front like small children fighting their dads.
They lost physically. Philly's DL wanted it more. They took it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Jasonew6's Avatar
Jasonew6 Jasonew6 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,628
Rep Points: 29285
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Why is he in period anymore. The O-line just hasn't looked the same with him back.

With Cook back these 2 games, Dalton has been sacked 11 times.

During the 4 game winning streak with Robinson in? Sacked 5 times.
And how many of those 11 did Cook give up?
__________________

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-14-2012, 02:17 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,618
Rep Points: 22666
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
And how many of those 11 did Cook give up?
None that I recall. But they came so fast and furious last night...
But in reality most of the pressure last night was off the edges.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-14-2012, 02:17 PM
wolfkaosaun's Avatar
wolfkaosaun wolfkaosaun is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 6,643
Rep Points: 10260
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Yes. Kyle Cook was why Andre got ***** smacked like a little kid yesterday
He was why Boling played like a college freshman.
Chemistry only goes so far. Bengals got beat up front like small children fighting their dads.
They lost physically. Philly's DL wanted it more. They took it.
Smith did look bad yesterday. However, you could see Cook missed pick up assignments during some of the plays, where he should have helped Boling in pass blocking, but instead leaned more towards Zeitler and blocked someone who was already blocked.

And the Dallas DL also did well against the Bengals as well. Again, with Cook playing these past 2 games, there have been 11 sacks.

While Robinson started in the 4 games before? 5 sacks.

Chemistry is a big part of the O-line. And I think we're learning that the hard way right now.
__________________

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM
wolfkaosaun's Avatar
wolfkaosaun wolfkaosaun is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 6,643
Rep Points: 10260
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
And how many of those 11 did Cook give up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
None that I recall. But they came so fast and furious last night...
But in reality most of the pressure last night was off the edges.
Last night was from the does, but you also saw that Cook didn't help double team where it was needed. He went the opposite way almost. He has been pushed back quite a lot during these past two games. Yes, the guards and tackles are also to blame, but to act like none of this is on Cook is beyond ridiculous.
__________________

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-14-2012, 02:24 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,618
Rep Points: 22666
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Last night was from the does, but you also saw that Cook didn't help double team where it was needed. He went the opposite way almost. He has been pushed back quite a lot during these past two games. Yes, the guards and tackles are also to blame, but to act like none of this is on Cook is beyond ridiculous.
It isn't.
It is just being dumb to say it is Cook's fault.
He wasn't at fault for 11 sacks. Just stop.

He goes where the line call is. If a guy can't block a LB one on one (Zeitler) it isn't Cook's fault for christ sake.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-14-2012, 02:29 PM
wolfkaosaun's Avatar
wolfkaosaun wolfkaosaun is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 6,643
Rep Points: 10260
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
It isn't.
It is just being dumb to say it is Cook's fault.
He wasn't at fault for 11 sacks. Just stop.

He goes where the line call is. If a guy can't block a LB one on one (Zeitler) it isn't Cook's fault for christ sake.
But Zeitler did have the LBer and Cook still went to help him, whereas Boling was struggling all night.

Cook is to blame, and you can't tell me that putting him in that quickly was a smart idea either. It was a poor coaching decision
__________________

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-14-2012, 02:36 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,618
Rep Points: 22666
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
But Zeitler did have the LBer and Cook still went to help him, whereas Boling was struggling all night.

Cook is to blame, and you can't tell me that putting him in that quickly was a smart idea either. It was a poor coaching decision
No he isn't. Seriously. He isn't. I played on the OL for years.
The reason the OL struggled had nothing to do with the center and everything to do with Whit being hurt, our historical struggles with speed rushers, Boling and Zeitler both having bad nights.

Sorry but that is all it is.
Nothing more. Nothing less. No one came through unblocked. Cook is a scapegoat for a rookie RG and 2nd year LG right now. Both played like poop in pass pro. If you are concerned Cook wasn't double teaming on some plays, then we need to look at Chance Warmack or John Cooper in the first and replace Boling.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Synric's Avatar
Synric Synric is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 2,875
Rep Points: 3620
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
No he isn't. Seriously. He isn't. I played on the OL for years.
The reason the OL struggled had nothing to do with the center and everything to do with Whit being hurt, our historical struggles with speed rushers, Boling and Zeitler both having bad nights.

Sorry but that is all it is.
Nothing more. Nothing less. No one came through unblocked. Cook is a scapegoat for a rookie RG and 2nd year LG right now. Both played like poop in pass pro. If you are concerned Cook wasn't double teaming on some plays, then we need to look at Chance Warmack or John Cooper in the first and replace Boling.
No, he was right Cook should have went left instead of right was bad vision on that ONE play, but Boiling and Whit had a bad night all night long along with Zeitler and Andre Smith. The Offensive Line was a train wreck last night.
__________________
Why do Steelers fans keep their season tickets on their dashboards? So they can park in handicap spaces.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-14-2012, 03:05 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,618
Rep Points: 22666
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
No, he was right Cook should have went left instead of right was bad vision on that ONE play, but Boiling and Whit had a bad night all night long along with Zeitler and Andre Smith. The Offensive Line was a train wreck last night.
Even if he is, one bad play does not make him the problem. Andre was a bigger problem than Cook.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Synric's Avatar
Synric Synric is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 2,875
Rep Points: 3620
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Even if he is, one bad play does not make him the problem. Andre was a bigger problem than Cook.
Agreed. The play was a stunt too and they looked so bad on every stunt last night blocks not getting passed off missing the free rusher etc..
__________________
Why do Steelers fans keep their season tickets on their dashboards? So they can park in handicap spaces.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-14-2012, 03:12 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,618
Rep Points: 22666
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
Agreed. The play was a stunt too and they looked so bad on every stunt last night blocks not getting passed off missing the free rusher etc..
That is coaching.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Synric's Avatar
Synric Synric is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 2,875
Rep Points: 3620
Default Re: Barrett Jones C Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
That is coaching.
It wasnt really a coaching issue more like not enough time in the film room. Which I guess would be coaching AND a player issue lol.
__________________
Why do Steelers fans keep their season tickets on their dashboards? So they can park in handicap spaces.

Last edited by Synric; 12-14-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.