Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20460
Default O-line pass-pro chemistry as of late

Not too good. Dont know if anyone noticed it these last two games since Cook has been injected back into the lineup in the manner that he has been, but the o-line in pass pro has looked quite bad.

Coincidence, or not? I say not. But maybe it just pure coincidence they looked pretty bad overall with Cook/Robinson doing a committee thing or whatever it is. Not hating on Cook at all, but I just dont get the coaches reasoning for messing with a quite important position on offense in the manner they have.

And if Boling starts off against Pitt like he played tonight, hope they yank him. Let Robinson or Cook even play left guard. Boling was horrible tonight and those two couldnt be much worse.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 103
Default Re: O-line pass-pro chemistry as of late

Whit was out for the 4th quarter with an "illness."

The entire O-Line played like they were all fighting off a flu bug. Hmmm.......
Old 12-14-2012, 12:46 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBengal View Post
Whit was out for the 4th quarter with an "illness."

The entire O-Line played like they were all fighting off a flu bug. Hmmm.......

Whit was out due to a concussion.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown

Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25184

Has everything to with just getting whipped.
No one played good tonight on the front 5
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 310

Boling pins aren't made for blocking, but for falling down at contact.
Oh, sorry, I meant bowling. My bad.

Horrendous game by the O-line. I've liked Boling until this game, and I still do. I just hope this was a one time thing. Same with Andre Smith.

When it comes to Cook and Robinson, I prefer Robinson. Even though some say he's undersized, he gets the job done. I just seem to notice that Cook lacks the awareness to be an above average center.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28268

There's more chemistry in a meth lab right now than with the Cincinnati offensive line!

Look, all joking aside, this is totally fixable. It's the little things like pre-snap penalties, holding, and not sustaining blocks which are keeping the offensive line from being dominating. The basics of pass protection and run blocking technique are there so if the players eliminate the brain-fart penalties and take care of the little things, the big things will happen naturally.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
Not too good. Dont know if anyone noticed it these last two games since Cook has been injected back into the lineup in the manner that he has been, but the o-line in pass pro has looked quite bad.

Coincidence, or not? I say not. But maybe it just pure coincidence they looked pretty bad overall with Cook/Robinson doing a committee thing or whatever it is. Not hating on Cook at all, but I just dont get the coaches reasoning for messing with a quite important position on offense in the manner they have.

And if Boling starts off against Pitt like he played tonight, hope they yank him. Let Robinson or Cook even play left guard. Boling was horrible tonight and those two couldnt be much worse.
When you switch Centers back and forth, it kills the timing of the entire O line, and kills the chemistry.

The best way to fix this is put Robinson in and set Cook. The O line will fix itself in less than a week of practice.

It is plain to anyone, but blind idiots like Paul Alexander and Marvin Lewis.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 103

Have you seen a link of that? I've only been able to find "illness"....

Quote:
Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy
Whitworth is ill and not expected to return #bengals
11:26 PM - 13 Dec 12
Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 174

Our O-Line seemed gassed by the 2nd quarter. That was a quick turn-around for them from the Dallas game. They should be back to par for Sh**zburgh.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5142

It had allot to do with poor play calling and lack of line adjustments.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:54 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9361

We've got the cap room, we need to go out in FA and sign a couple dominant O-linemen and pay them.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:54 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBengal View Post
Have you seen a link of that? I've only been able to find "illness"....

Yup. Was also mentioned on Bengals show after the game on local 12.

Geoff Hobson ‏@GeoffHobsonCin
Lewis says Whitworth has concussion

On that note I am off to bed, dam work. Wont be commenting in here til late tomorrow, and I agree with Trucker above.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
When you switch Centers back and forth, it kills the timing of the entire O line, and kills the chemistry.

The best way to fix this is put Robinson in and set Cook. The O line will fix itself in less than a week of practice.

It is plain to anyone, but blind idiots like Paul Alexander and Marvin Lewis.
This is a well thought-out post! The substitutions may be a factor in Cincinnati's inability to sustain long drives. Michael Irvin mentioned how the Bengals can get a rhythm going on offense then just stop. Maybe Jay Gruden could play longer sequences of no huddle offense and try to not just sustain momentum but to accelerate the pace of play.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1248

The O- line better buy the Defense dinner tonight for saving their a**
Old 12-14-2012, 01:02 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16712

Quote:

The offense and the offensive line should be embarrassed by their effort and execution tonight. That is the bad news, the good news is the defense continues to get more dominant every game. We have 10 days to get ready for the Steelers. Hopefully with some rest and reflection, the OL will come out firing at Pittsburgh.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:02 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjenn300 View Post
The O- line better buy the Defense dinner tonight for saving their a**
Oh Lord yes. That defense just took control of the game and won it. The bad things is that everyone in the country saw it happen and Mike Zimmer just went to the top of everyone's head coaching list for 2013. Mike has been fantastic of late and I praise him and the defense for raising their game to a whole new level and taking the Eagles to the woodshed.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
This is a well thought-out post! The substitutions may be a factor in Cincinnati's inability to sustain long drives. Michael Irvin mentioned how the Bengals can get a rhythm going on offense then just stop. Maybe Jay Gruden could play longer sequences of no huddle offense and try to not just sustain momentum but to accelerate the pace of play.
Step 1: Dont get beat like a mule. That will extend drives. Our OL failed at that today. Not getting mixed up or failing on calls, just flat out got beat man to man.

Step 2: Get a WR who is dependable in the short game. Chain mover. We lack that without Sanu.

Step 3: See the results of the 4 game win streak.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13690

Quote:

Cook and the lack of Sanu are my two best guesses. I am not a Cook fan, so I might be biased, but I of course do not think so.

We might need a 2nd possession receiver next year (it was not Binns and it is not Whalen). You would hope that it would be Gresh, but he drops a lot of balls. I still have some hope for Charles filling that role.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Has everything to with just getting whipped.
No one played good tonight on the front 5
This.

I didn't see any missed blocks or communication issues.

The guys just got beat, regularly.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
We've got the cap room, we need to go out in FA and sign a couple dominant O-linemen and pay them.
Most pundits think Cincy has a dominant line already. I wonder if they struggled more with the short week. They are probably not the most fit bunch of guys.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47030
Default 10 Day rest will mend the OL

What we saw from our OL last night was not a true reflection of their talent and ability, but rather the cumulative effect of having played 3 hard-charging Dlines in a row, and this time only on 3 days rest.

To say that our proud OL looked pathetic last night, would be saying it mildly. While the Eagles DL was definitely jacked up for the game, and they are a talented group, under normal circumstances, I don't believe for one second that they could do that to us twice out of 10 tries. What we saw last night, was a group of battle weary soldiers, just trying to make it home to heal up for the bigger battles that still lay ahead.

I see most everyone is as flabbergasted as I am, as to why the carousel of Robinson and Cook at C. Yes, its good to see Kyle back from injury, but there's nothing wrong with Trevor. Its always been my understanding that you should let the man with the hot hand play. Guys coming back from a lay-off usually look good their first time out, and then not so much the second time around, particularly on only 3 days rest. (just a theory I have about the body getting acclimated to the weekly pounding and recovery cycle).

In spite of the 6 sacks, and all of the other trench atrocities that we witnessed last night, I still saw a couple of things that made me excited to see this group at full strength again. They ran a short sweep to the right side, with Zeitler pulling out around to the outside. Aside from Gresham getting flagged for a hold on the play, it was executed flawlessly, everybody was where they needed to be and the hole was indeed there. The other play that grabbed my attention was the failed screen pass to Leonard. Both Whit and Boling were out in front, and had their blocks. If the pass would have made it to Leonard's hands, it was there for a nice gain and possible score. I bring up that particular play because several of us were clammoring for some strutured RB screen passes, earlier this week.

Just to summarize, the OL is not suddenly bad or vulnerable, just tired. Props need to be given to the coaching staff for continuing to implement stuff that we rarely see. One thing that I am most positive of is that Pittsburgh and Baltimore will most definitley have their hands full, when they face this OL with a long weeks rest ahead.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1302

Does anybody in the Cincy media area have the cajones to ask Marvin what the F is up with Messenger Centers? You are not Paul Brown ...Marvin and they are Messenger Guards not Centers.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3520

Cook is not at fault for Andre getting beat constantly last night.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47030
Default Re: 10 Day rest will mend the OL

Thoughts, anyone?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3520
Default Re: 10 Day rest will mend the OL

It better mend the Oline...because if it doesn't we might as well kiss the playoffs goodbye.

With that said I feel last night was an anomaly, and they will look much better against the Steelers.