Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:31 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18784
Default Whalen: SECRET WEAPON

There has to be a reason we're holding back on getting Ryan Whalen more snaps. And it's not because he's bad. Whatever the reason is, I think he could be the kind of Red Zone target Andy needs. Maybe our coaches are just severely learning disabled, but we're not being as efficient in the Red Zone as we were earlier in the year. If we don't go out and get someone for these next two games, which I don't see, I'd at least like to see Whalen get a shot.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 273
Default Re: Whalen: SECRET WEAPON

I personally don't believe that! Why hold a player who could produce?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:33 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6495

Was he even active tonight?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5129

I don't see any reason why he isn't playing honestly. Very reliable receiver, yet they let him ride the bench... I don't understand it. Give the kid a fair shot. Look what happened to Sanu when they let him play.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
There has to be a reason we're holding back on getting Ryan Whalen more snaps. And it's not because he's bad. Whatever the reason is, I think he could be the kind of Red Zone target Andy needs. Maybe our coaches are just severely learning disabled, but we're not being as efficient in the Red Zone as we were earlier in the year. If we don't go out and get someone for these next two games, which I don't see, I'd at least like to see Whalen get a shot.
The one game where he was productive was against the Steelers but he was basically the top receiver off of dink and dunk all night
Old 12-14-2012, 01:36 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcholas View Post
I personally don't believe that! Why hold a player who could produce?
I was joking about them hlding him back like they're saving him up. My major point is just that I'd like him to get some more snaps.

He was active tonight. I saw him make a tackle on STs.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5062

Quote:
They did go out of their way to preserve a roster spot for him. As of this moment, I have no idea why. Would another team really have picked him up?

I hope we do look at some other WRs. Hmm. I thought the Broncos had waived Andre Caldwell. He actually had a catch last week. I wonder if Peyton will start throwing INTs when he targets Caldwell.

Last edited by BoomerFan; 12-14-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:38 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
The one game where he was productive was against the Steelers but he was basically the top receiver off of dink and dunk all night
Dink and dunk nets yards. At least he can hold on to the ball and he's got enough body to fight for the ball. Hawkins has to be in the clear to merit a target. We saw that again tonight. He's no good in traffic.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:41 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5778

We do badly need a WR opposite Green who runs routes correctly and actually catches the ball. Binns proved he wasn't it, Tate likewise and Marvin Jones has done nothing to make a case for himself. At this point why not try Whalen?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:42 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Dink and dunk nets yards. At least he can hold on to the ball and he's got enough body to fight for the ball. Hawkins has to be in the clear to merit a target. We saw that again tonight. He's no good in traffic.
except his dink and dunk yards had him the leading receiver when Dalton only had 103 yards that game
Old 12-14-2012, 01:46 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 35510

I wanna see Whalen get some targets too. Jones and Hawkins are not making up for the loss of Sanu.

Gresh just needs to give me the easy stuff. I don't mind when he doesn't make the spectacular grab, but he's missing on some easy ones too.

Offense needs to pick the defense up more, running game's been coming along, pass game need to be sharper and we could really have some nice balance.

Jones has the higher ceiling, but he's not paying off in games, against Pitt we may just see Whalen more since Jones isn't getting it done.

Hawk will continue to play the same role he has, he's just a feast or famine type of player cuz he's so tiny but quick enough to get ghost if you do get him in space.

Last edited by savagehenry54; 12-14-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:54 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
I wanna see Whalen get some targets too. Jones and Hawkins are not making up for the loss of Sanu.

Gresh just needs to give me the easy stuff. I don't mind when he doesn't make the spectacular grab, but he's missing on some easy ones too.

Offense needs to pick the defense up more, running game's been coming along, pass game need to be sharper and we could really have some nice balance.

Jones has the higher ceiling, but he's not paying off in games, against Pitt we may just see Whalen more since Jones isn't getting it done.

Hawk will continue to play the same role he has, he's just a feast or famine type of player cuz he's so tiny but quick enough to get ghost if you do get him in space.
Jones will show ore when Andy gets more time. He's more of an outside guy. I'd like to see Whalen get some time in the slot, even if he only catches quick slants, at least we gain yards.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:58 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9678

The thing is, I look at this offense and really don't know who's going to step up as a #2 WR. Hawkins is better used in the slot. Jones has actually disappointed me thus far, I expected more from him. Although he still needs time.

Tate just. No.

Whalen could play in the #2 WR spot, but is much better used in the slot.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals look into bringing in a FA WR.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16653

Quote:
Jones will show ore when Andy gets more time. He's more of an outside guy. I'd like to see Whalen get some time in the slot, even if he only catches quick slants, at least we gain yards.
Jones was wide open several time tonight, but Dalton was running for his life.

Dalton even missed Green being wide open on one play, and threw it to Gresham. Gresham dropped it, like normal.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 12-14-2012, 02:15 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 17

Quote:
To add to that theory, I think its similar to what the San Fransisco 49ers are doing with Randy Moss so I wont dismiss it!!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:19 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8748

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post

Dalton even missed Green being wide open on one play, and threw it to Gresham. Gresham dropped it, like normal.
True. Mayock made that comment a few times saying how Jones was open down field but Dalton couldn't see him due to pressure.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:27 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
Was he even active tonight?
Yeah definitely he was in on the kneel down plays at the end of the game as the emergency back behind Dalton
Bengals fan since October 1, 1991 ironically the same day I was born. In what will soon be 23 years of living on this earth I have yet to see a Bengals playoff win. WHO DEY 2014-15 The year of Stripes!!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:30 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 35510

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post

I know the Eagles got after Dalton tonight, but pass pro seemed okay last week....I just haven't been impressed with Jones. More to makin' plays than runnin' fast....That's why Sanu was the third rounder and Jones was the fifth.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1352

Quote:
Dalton just needs to learn to put touch on the ball. With the position Hawkins had, it's about the same as a basketball player posting up. He should just lob the ball 5 yards upfield and away from the defender instead of trying to throw a bullett every time!

Although we may not agree on everything, the fact that you're a Bengals fan makes you alright in my book!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 360

Quote:
Yes--Andy barely had time to throw to AJ Thurs night let alone anyone else...
Old 12-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2372

I agree, you might as well try Whalen, he was our best WR last PIT game.
However, you know how many teams have a consistent number #2, not many. R.White and J.Jones are the first two 1,000 yard WR on the same team in years.

Gruden has one of the best WR's in the game, a top 8 TE, and a Great D.
GD I wish we could get Sean Payton or Josh McDaniels to call some plays with this O for one game and you would see the difference.

If the Oline is having trouble blocking, you adjust.
3rd. OT JaWaun James
4th. DT Caruan Reid
5th QB Aaron Murry
6th DE Brent Urban
7th WR/KR John Brown
Old 12-15-2012, 10:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2533

22 posts in a thread about Whalen and no Truck101. The world is amiss.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:59 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15772

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
22 posts in a thread about Whalen and no Truck101. The world is amiss.
Notice I haven't done PFF either?

I haven't been in front if my computer for at least 1 hour since Thursday afternoon

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-15-2012, 11:23 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15479
bengals Re: Whalen: SECRET WEAPON

Quote:
I'd like to see him more as well,especially over Tate.
And if we sign a FB,I'd love to see Charles used the way Sanu was. He has the athleticism and definately the size to be the target Sanu was in the Red zone. May not be as proficient running routes,but his skills should be utilized more IMO. I'm sure Dalton would love his size as a target in the red zone.

"When the federal government spends more each year than it collects in tax revenues, it has three choices: It can raise taxes, print money, or borrow money. While these actions may benefit politicians, all three options are bad for average Americans."
-Ron Paul
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." -Ron Paul
Old 12-15-2012, 11:24 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10691

I'd like to see more of Whalen. Give him a shot. Even if he is just getting those little dink and dunk passes, I don't care as long as he is catching them and moving the chains.

Sig compliments of CINwillWIN