Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499
Default Green-Ellis: "Stud" or "Dud" ??

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I seriously doubted this signing back in the spring. Then he didn't show up (injured I think) all preseason, then was God awful atrocious through the first 10 games of the year. I'll come out and say it, I couldn't stand this guy. Fans were making fun of his nickname, calling him the "Public Defender" instead of the "Law Firm". But now, a mere 5 games later, this guy is looking like the frickin' Terminator. So, what gives?? Discuss...
Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711
Default Re: Green-Ellis: "Stud" or "Dud" ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham69Rock View Post
Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I seriously doubted this signing back in the spring. Then he didn't show up (injured I think) all preseason, then was God awful atrocious through the first 10 games of the year. I'll come out and say it, I couldn't stand this guy. Fans were making fun of his nickname, calling him the "Public Defender" instead of the "Law Firm". But now, a mere 5 games later, this guy is looking like the frickin' Terminator. So, what gives?? Discuss...
It's like 75% the offensive line. 25% the RB. It always was.

The line was terrible run blocking early in the year and is improving a lot now.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20784

Stud or dud? Somewhere in between. I give him his props.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Stud or dud? Somewhere in between. I give him his props.
Agreed. We still need to draft a back next year at some point.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:42 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20784

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Yes we do. Some fast SOB who can catch the ball and is a threat to take it to the house from anywhere on the field..
Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499

Quote:
Is it still a 1st/2nd round necessity........or could address other needs & just sit back and wait for Lattimore to fall to us in the 3rd/4th??
Old 12-14-2012, 08:57 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Is it still a 1st/2nd round necessity........or could address other needs & just sit back and wait for Lattimore to fall to us in the 3rd/4th??
I wouldn't take a RB in the 1st Round...their career span is 8 years and they have a high injury risk.

2nd or 3rd Round seems to be the sweet spot to draft one.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:21 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 251

Quote:
I wouldn't take a RB in the 1st Round...their career span is 8 years and they have a high injury risk.

2nd or 3rd Round seems to be the sweet spot to draft one.
luckily Carson is not only giving us an extra 2.....but he is sucking bad enough to make it a low 2
Old 12-14-2012, 09:49 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13690

Quote:
Regardless, we still need 2 new RBs. A change of pace guy and another all 3 downs feature back.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13615

Quote:
Yes we do. Some fast SOB who can catch the ball and is a threat to take it to the house from anywhere on the field..
Chris Perry!!!!

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
Regardless, we still need 2 new RBs. A change of pace guy and another all 3 downs feature back.
I thought everyone was on the bandwagon for RB by commitee and didnt want or need a feature RB?? LOL

BJGE is a decent back but nothing great. As mentioned before the OL has started playing better.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6214

Green-Ellis is doing great. He's probably our best RB since Rudi, and maybe since Corey, just because he always falls forward and doesn't fumble. After last night, I would say we need to keep drafting the O-line. A good line can make any RB look good, and protecting Andy should be our priority. Linebacker is up there, too. I don't think we need to look for RBs.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3022

Quote:
Kenjonnnnnnn Barnerrrrrrr

Adrian "All Day" Peterson
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
Green-Ellis is doing great. He's probably our best RB since Rudi, and maybe since Corey, just because he always falls forward and doesn't fumble. After last night, I would say we need to keep drafting the O-line. A good line can make any RB look good, and protecting Andy should be our priority. Linebacker is up there, too. I don't think we need to look for RBs.
Maybe draft an OC in 2, trade Cook, and keep Robinson to battle it out with the rookie in camp for the starting job? That way, we free up cap space and get a guy in here with(what should be) great potential.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9611

I've been saying the same thing since he got signed...

Benjarvus Green-Ellis is a great role player and is going to be a huge part of our running game for years to come. He plays smart and tough ball and he is as solid as they come. We need more help though he will be a better back if we get a speed back to compliment him. Lately though he's exceeded my expectations.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3921

Quote:
It's like 75% the offensive line. 25% the RB. It always was.

The line was terrible run blocking early in the year and is improving a lot now.
Agreed. Unless you are talking Adrian Peterson, no RB was going to generate much from teh early Bengals offensive backfield with that line. However, they have steadily improved and BJGE has shown good vision and toughness. No, he isn't a top 5 back, but he fits this team very well.

I love him in short yardage (SO CRUCIAL) and would like to see him get more dump passes out of the backfield. Catches it every time, secures it, and moves the chains.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:11 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13690

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHazard View Post
I thought everyone was on the bandwagon for RB by commitee and didnt want or need a feature RB?? LOL

BJGE is a decent back but nothing great. As mentioned before the OL has started playing better.
Maybe I used feature too loosely, a backcapable of all 3 downs who can handle a lot of carries. Prefferabley a 1a to BJGE 1b. There is always the chance if Ced gets back, that he further demonstrates that he can fill one of those roles.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:17 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23728

Quote:
Gio Bernard declared today. Take him.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:18 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 466

I like him. It's fun to watch him burst through the pile and rip off 20+ yard runs.

He has cool dreads too.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5535

This topic cracks me up. Nothing this guy does will ever change anyone's mind about his skills. Because he had a slow start it will always be because the line is doing all the work. Once again last night he ripped off a few decent runs and had to run through guys to do it. The guy has been getting stopped at the line and pushing for 3+ yards after contact almost every time for the last few weeks, which has nothing to do with blocking.

Maybe it is time to start thinking we have a pretty good RB. Maybe not a top 5, but I could make an argument based on production this year a low top 10 back. I would still draft one but I don't think it is a deal breaker if we go D early on and wait until a mid round for a RB.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 78531

Green Ellis is doing better and the O-line is opening more holes. We are calling less run plays (it seems), so they are more effective when we do call them.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:29 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Green-Ellis: "Stud" or "Dud" ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
This topic cracks me up. Nothing this guy does will ever change anyone's mind about his skills. Because he had a slow start it will always be because the line is doing all the work. Once again last night he ripped off a few decent runs and had to run through guys to do it. The guy has been getting stopped at the line and pushing for 3+ yards after contact almost every time for the last few weeks, which has nothing to do with blocking.

Maybe it is time to start thinking we have a pretty good RB. Maybe not a top 5, but I could make an argument based on production this year a low top 10 back. I would still draft one but I don't think it is a deal breaker if we go D early on and wait until a mid round for a RB.
Good post
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 970

He has Benson size, but not his strength or speed. I don't think he can create yardage with strength or speed. When at the second level, he gets tackled by a DB fairly easily, without gaining additional yards after contact.

Around the line of scrimmage, he maximizes what the O-line gives him. But no more.

So, I think his recent emergence is due to O-line run blocking, committment to the run game, and emergence of our passing game. Essentially, he is an average veteran RB, with SB experience.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714
bengals Re: Green-Ellis: "Stud" or "Dud" ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post

He definitely keeps his legs moving and does what he was paid to come here to do: get the tough yards. Even early in the season when the line hadn't come together too well, he was always good for 3 yards when we needed him. That's why we brought him in. Losing Scott early in the season forced the team to change BJGE's role and he's started to come through in a big way finally. Green-Ellis and the line are finally comfortable with one another and turning the same page. This is what is making this run game so effective, huge holes, decent vision, and ball security. Only thing lacking is the true home-run capability. Fine by me I'd rather see Dalton toss it up for Green in the endzone and score that way.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:49 AM
VIP Gold Member

Marcus Lattimore declared.

He won't go in the 1sr Round, but in the 3rd or 4th...I'd take a chance on him.

It's reminiscant of Michael Bush.