Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,990
Rep Points: 25199
Default Re: Breaking news

I've read through this, and witnessed all the excuses made as to why more strict gun control laws should not be implemented. It's ridiculous. The fact that almost any average American can purchase a weapon designed to kill with small amounts of effort is just silly. There should be extreme mental evaluations required to own a firearm along with at least 100 hours of training.

"The bad-guys will still have guns", people say. Which is correct. Eliminating legal guns would not eliminate the illegal ones, but 100 bucks says that the person who ran through an elementary school with a gun had little to no criminal record, and thus would have been allowed to legally own one. You're far more likely to murder a loved one with the weapon than you are the bad guy anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,990
Rep Points: 25199
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by basballguy View Post
Yay, religion discussion.

think i'll close my web browser now.
Are you not aware that every single subject here turns into religion in one way or another? I usually involve myself in them, but don't see a single reason why this thread should go that route.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,645
Rep Points: 7297
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
I've read through this, and witnessed all the excuses made as to why more strict gun control laws should not be implemented. It's ridiculous. The fact that almost any average American can purchase a weapon designed to kill with small amounts of effort is just silly. There should be extreme mental evaluations required to own a firearm along with at least 100 hours of training.

"The bad-guys will still have guns", people say. Which is correct. Eliminating legal guns would not eliminate the illegal ones, but 100 bucks says that the person who ran through an elementary school with a gun had little to no criminal record, and thus would have been allowed to legally own one. You're far more likely to murder a loved one with the weapon than you are the bad guy anyway.
I think we should have stricter controls on steak knives.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/14/wo...ack/index.html
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:44 PM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 23,105
Rep Points: 36600
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyJon View Post
Criminals are criminals. Making a law that they can't own gun xyz will not stop them from getting one. Criminals don't obey laws. This is a simple concept.
So by that argument we should just have no laws, because what's the point of making laws if criminals will just break them anyway?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:45 PM
WeezyBengal's Avatar
WeezyBengal WeezyBengal is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 7,389
Rep Points: 21087
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
I think we should have stricter controls on steak knives.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/14/wo...ack/index.html
Comparing knives to guns? Cmon man.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,990
Rep Points: 25199
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
I think we should have stricter controls on steak knives.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/14/wo...ack/index.html
Completely ridiculous comparison.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:45 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,541
Rep Points: 25868
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
So by that argument we should just have no laws, because what's the point of making laws if criminals will just break them anyway?
I think you have laws for punishment etc.
but not to ban things like guns.
you can make murder illegal but not everything that has been used to commit murder.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:47 PM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 23,105
Rep Points: 36600
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
I think we should have stricter controls on steak knives.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/14/wo...ack/index.html
Can you kill twenty people in a matter of seconds with a steak knife? Because you can with an assault rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,645
Rep Points: 7297
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
Comparing knives to guns? Cmon man.
No, comparing the motivation not the weapon.
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,990
Rep Points: 25199
Default Re: Breaking news

If gun control laws are not MASSIVELY upgraded some time soon, you will be walking through a metal detector every single time you enter a public building. Hopefully, at least.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,645
Rep Points: 7297
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
Can you kill twenty people in a matter of seconds with a steak knife? Because you can with an assault rifle.
I rather doubt it was a matter of seconds, lets stay realistic. Yes, the Chinese fellow with a knife maimed and wounded 22 children in a matter of minutes. He might have done the same thing with a ball bat, hatchet, or a Samurai Sword.
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals


Last edited by Sher Khan; 12-14-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:49 PM
CKWI88 CKWI88 is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,215
Rep Points: 4476
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
I've read through this, and witnessed all the excuses made as to why more strict gun control laws should not be implemented. It's ridiculous. The fact that almost any average American can purchase a weapon designed to kill with small amounts of effort is just silly. There should be extreme mental evaluations required to own a firearm along with at least 100 hours of training.

"The bad-guys will still have guns", people say. Which is correct. Eliminating legal guns would not eliminate the illegal ones, but 100 bucks says that the person who ran through an elementary school with a gun had little to no criminal record, and thus would have been allowed to legally own one. You're far more likely to murder a loved one with the weapon than you are the bad guy anyway.
Because for some people 'gun control/regulation' is always read as "TAKE AWAY ALL GUNS FROM ALL PEOPLE." There needs to be a middle ground.

Wheres the more guns will solve these problems crowd btw? If we armed K-5 graders, one of 'em would've stopped him for sure!

See how fun straw man arguments are?
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:50 PM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 23,105
Rep Points: 36600
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
I think you have laws for punishment etc.
but not to ban things like guns.
you can make murder illegal but not everything that has been used to commit murder.
Then why are drugs illegal?

To me, the whole argument that was made, that I responded to, is ludicrous. There is nothing anyone could say to me that would convince me that any civilian needs even a semi-automatic weapon. Just my opinion on the matter. Making them harder to get will, without a doubt, decrease the number of them on the streets, and decrease their use in crimes like these. Will it stop it? No, nothing will. But why should we make it so easy?
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:50 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,541
Rep Points: 25868
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
Then why are drugs illegal?

To me, the whole argument that was made, that I responded to, is ludicrous. There is nothing anyone could say to me that would convince me that any civilian needs even a semi-automatic weapon. Just my opinion on the matter. Making them harder to get will, without a doubt, decrease the number of them on the streets, and decrease their use in crimes like these. Will it stop it? No, nothing will. But why should we make it so easy?
Because we are a slow moving society that fears change.
Drugs shouldn't be illegal.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:51 PM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 23,105
Rep Points: 36600
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
I rather doubt it was a matter of seconds, lets stay realistic. Yes, the Chinese fellow with a knife maimed and wounded 22 children in a matter of minutes. He might have done the same thing with a ball bat, hatchet, or Samurai Sword.
I wasn't saying this incident was in a matter of seconds. I'm saying you can do it in a matter of seconds. I can accurately empty a 20 round magazine from an AR or AK style rifle in under a minute in 20 different targets. Now, not everyone is that proficient with a firearm, but it can be done and with minimal reload time between magazines.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM
WeezyBengal's Avatar
WeezyBengal WeezyBengal is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 7,389
Rep Points: 21087
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
No, comparing the motivation not the weapon.
I dont think you were. I think you were comparing weapons and trying to make an argument against gun control. The motivation was exactly the same. There is no comparison there.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,645
Rep Points: 7297
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
I wasn't saying this incident was in a matter of seconds. I'm saying you can do it in a matter of seconds. I can accurately empty a 20 round magazine from an AR or AK style rifle in under a minute in 20 different targets. Now, not everyone is that proficient with a firearm, but it can be done and with minimal reload time between magazines.
Sure, but that is not how any of the many incidents have unfolded. Because, you have to aim at people running, diving, hiding, etc., and so it isn't like a John Wayne movie where you can just whip a machine gun around like a garden hose.
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,645
Rep Points: 7297
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
I dont think you were. I think you were comparing weapons and trying to make an argument against gun control. The motivation was exactly the same. There is no comparison there.
What number am I thinking of now?
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:54 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,541
Rep Points: 25868
Default Re: Breaking news

Matt, I largely respect your opinion (outside of taste in sport teams) what is your take on the whole mental health diatribe we had earlier here?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:57 PM
WeezyBengal's Avatar
WeezyBengal WeezyBengal is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 7,389
Rep Points: 21087
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
What number am I thinking of now?
Two.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,645
Rep Points: 7297
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
Two.
Wrong. It was 33.
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,990
Rep Points: 25199
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
Two.
Nope. It's at least 27. The Current death toll in an elementary school in Connecticut because people like to play with guns.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 12-14-2012, 05:02 PM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 23,105
Rep Points: 36600
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Matt, I largely respect your opinion (outside of taste in sport teams) what is your take on the whole mental health diatribe we had earlier here?
I didn't read through all of it, but I have to say the idea of a mental health evaluation to own a gun is not only over reaching, but pretty damn difficult. First, what kind of system are we going to set up for that? What kind of criteria? I mean, it was pointed out that most people have some sort of mental issue going on. How many people are diagnosed with depression in their adolescent years only to come out of it because of hormonal changes?

I think that, by all means, if someone is deemed to be a danger to themselves or others they should be entered into the database for background checks and not be allowed to purchase. But anything more than that is unreasonable not just in terms of logistics, but in terms of privacy as well.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,645
Rep Points: 7297
Default Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
Nope. It's at least 27. The Current death toll in an elementary school in Connecticut because people like to play with guns.
Wrong again, it was 33 which is very close to 32,367. Which is the number killed on the highway last year.
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM
ibengals's Avatar
ibengals ibengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,312
Rep Points: 5169
Default Re: Breaking news

Can someone explain to me how the United State has 30 mass shootings since Columbine, and the REST OF THE WORLD COMBINED has 14?


Something has to be done, that country is falling apart. Too much "freedom", not enough order.

Last edited by ibengals; 12-14-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.