Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2253
Default Please run the ball Jay

Right now we are a top 5 rushing team in the NFL and we are still reluctant to run with it. Seems like these last 6 games were getting nearly 5 yards a pop. with a 9 days off BJGE should be well rested and ready for a 30 carry game. Herron showed great burst and needs at least 5 true carries behind the #1 line. Jay Gruden has 9 days to prepare for Pittsburgh, so I expect some changes to the offense.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3367
Default Re: Please run the ball Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
Right now we are a top 5 rushing team in the NFL and we are still reluctant to run with it. Seems like these last 6 games were getting nearly 5 yards a pop. with a 9 days off BJGE should be well rested and ready for a 30 carry game. Herron showed great burst and needs at least 5 true carries behind the #1 line. Jay Gruden has 9 days to prepare for Pittsburgh, so I expect some changes to the offense.
I agree man. I'd like to see the following:

1.) More rushes for Benny
2.) Absolutely no more tosses or stretch plays with Benny, he is just not quick enough
3.) Give Herron some touches instead of Leonard. I went to Ohio State and never missed a game while Herron was playing and I was honestly never that impressed. So far in the NFL though he has shown some burst and he was able to make some guys miss in the backfield.
4.) This has nothing to do with the run game but Gruden must stop calling for bootlegs to the right. Hardly anything good ever comes from it.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8882

I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't running a lot because they don't want him to get injured. He isn't used to carrying the ball this many times and we have very little depth behind him with Peerman injured.

(I'll wait for someone to tell me how Herron will be a good RB because of the blocked punt.)
Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 359

Better get an able-bodied FB
Old 12-14-2012, 04:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25462
bengals Re: Please run the ball Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
These boards are so laughable. When we run the ball people gripe that we need to be more explosive. When we do not run the ball people gripe that we should be running it.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25875

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
These boards are so laughable. When we run the ball people gripe that we need to be more explosive. When we do not run the ball people gripe that we should be running it.
Like in the Dallas game?
ZOMG Why didn't we run the ball?
If we had run it and lost, ZOMG why didn't we throw it for the kill shot?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Like in the Dallas game?
ZOMG Why didn't we run the ball?
If we had run it and lost, ZOMG why didn't we throw it for the kill shot?
Exactly.......when Sanu went down Marvin Jones was the latest flavor. Had to have in in there he was going to be a game changer (no one thinking about him being a rookie) now in a mere two weeks of him not setting the world on fire it is time to bring in TO and Chad. You remember the two guys the boards could not get rid of fast enough.

These boards are hysterical to read. We played a bad game on a short turn around. However, they gritted it out and won it going away. I guess many do not realize the parity that exists in this league. There is not an easy game out there. Look at the mighty Baltimore. There win total could easily be way below where it is right now.

We have a young team that is learning and growing. Many times it will not be pretty.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2117

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson19osu View Post
I agree man. I'd like to see the following:

1.) More rushes for Benny
2.) Absolutely no more tosses or stretch plays with Benny, he is just not quick enough
3.) Give Herron some touches instead of Leonard. I went to Ohio State and never missed a game while Herron was playing and I was honestly never that impressed. So far in the NFL though he has shown some burst and he was able to make some guys miss in the backfield.
4.) This has nothing to do with the run game but Gruden must stop calling for bootlegs to the right. Hardly anything good ever comes from it.
Where did Boom's punt rush come from? So far he has looked impressive.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2253

Quote:
When your running the ball and getting huge chucks of yards then yes you need to run the ball more. Teams are focused on one thing and that is shutting down AJ Green. If were facing cover 2 the entire game then you need to run the football.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7700

Quote:
Exactly.......when Sanu went down Marvin Jones was the latest flavor. Had to have in in there he was going to be a game changer (no one thinking about him being a rookie) now in a mere two weeks of him not setting the world on fire it is time to bring in TO and Chad. You remember the two guys the boards could not get rid of fast enough.

These boards are hysterical to read. We played a bad game on a short turn around. However, they gritted it out and won it going away. I guess many do not realize the parity that exists in this league. There is not an easy game out there. Look at the mighty Baltimore. There win total could easily be way below where it is right now.

We have a young team that is learning and growing. Many times it will not be pretty.
No, the people realizing that Jones isn't working are looking at the wrong routes, pull ups and drops and remembering that his college rap was exactly this. He is a project and not ready for prime time. What we need at #2 is someone who knows how to play the position correctly.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
We only say that when running the ball ISN'T working. BGE has been running like a man possessed the last few games, so Gruden/Lewis need to take advantage of that. The Dallas game is a prime example of what NOT to do; go away from the hot player unnecessarily.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
No, the people realizing that Jones isn't working are looking at the wrong routes, pull ups and drops and remembering that his college rap was exactly this. He is a project and not ready for prime time. What we need at #2 is someone who knows how to play the position correctly.
Someone to play the position correctly so you are obviously against TO and Chad.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
We only say that when running the ball ISN'T working. BGE has been running like a man possessed the last few games, so Gruden/Lewis need to take advantage of that. The Dallas game is a prime example of what NOT to do; go away from the hot player unnecessarily.
You always stick with the run even when it does not seem to be working. Fact!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36244

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereThereMayBeTigers View Post
And he needs to be signed by Monday to be ready for Sunday.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3367

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
No kidding. We aren't calling for the run game because it's opposite of what the coaching staff is calling for, we want to see more of it because it's the one aspect of the offense that is actually clicking right now.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14535

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereThereMayBeTigers View Post
Exactly!!!! Some don't think a FB is that important, but I'm with you and think it is!

Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 48795

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApinhead View Post
Exactly!!!! Some don't think a FB is that important, but I'm with you and think it is!

Yes, it seemed like it took all of two quarters for them to realize we needed a lead blocker, after Pressley went down. I must say though, Charles did well in a pinch.

I guess that they won't use Leonard as a lead blocker, due to his chronic shoulder.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:30 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Yes, it seemed like it took all of two quarters for them to realize we needed a lead blocker, after Pressley went down. I must say though, Charles did well in a pinch.

I guess that they won't use Leonard as a lead blocker, due to his chronic shoulder.
Yep. but I'm afraid since Charles did do well, they'll do like a couple years ago and just go with him as the FB. That's not going to cut it.

Yeah, I don't want to see Leonard do too much blocking.

Last edited by PApinhead; 12-14-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:54 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 510

I want to see us Run early set up pass and then draw play after we hit green a couple times deep. Also get Hawk the ball in space.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
If only things were really this black and white.

You don't always stick with the run, just like you don't always stick with the pass. You do what works. In the Dallas game, the run game was great and we went away from it for no good reason. There's also been plenty of times when the pass was working great, but we get a 6+ point lead and start running, only to lose because we couldn't move the ball.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13558

Prefer a 50/50 mix of run and pass. Keep the defense off balance.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9461

Quote:
There are lots of people on these boards, and sometimes people saying one thing are not the same as the people saying the other thing.

Quote:
Opinion!

(although, I am somewhat 'old school' myself and largely sympathetic to this opinion)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:59 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1810

I have always said that we needed to run the ball more. When a Bengals RB gets 100 yards we usually win. I believe that is we would have let The Firm beat that record during the Dallas game that we would have won that also. Running the ball opens up the pass. I am all for the run and do not believe that it is obsolete. However, I have not always agreed with the play calling associated with running in the past. That has not always been good.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19460

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApinhead View Post
Yep. but I'm afraid since Charles did do well, they'll do like a couple years ago and just go with him as the FB. That's not going to cut it.

Yeah, I don't want to see Leonard do too much blocking.
Doubt it because they had a few fullbacks in to try out, but also because they've seen how well our two tight end formations have worked out and we've run them quite a bit, so no reason to stop now.

I was ****** when we went for the kill and threw the ball three straight times against the Cowboys because a better way to go for the kill would have been two runs or a run and a short pass to set up a third down that could have been made with another short pass.

We don't need to decide to run it more before the game, but if The Law Firm is getting over 7 yards a pop, then you damn well better be giving him the ball more.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Doubt it because they had a few fullbacks in to try out, but also because they've seen how well our two tight end formations have worked out and we've run them quite a bit, so no reason to stop now.

I was ****** when we went for the kill and threw the ball three straight times against the Cowboys because a better way to go for the kill would have been two runs or a run and a short pass to set up a third down that could have been made with another short pass.

We don't need to decide to run it more before the game, but if The Law Firm is getting over 7 yards a pop, then you damn well better be giving him the ball more.
I sure hope not. I really think we need a FB in there to continue to run it well. And like you, I think if Green-Ellis is running well, keep feeding him the rock.