Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 13,333
Rep Points: 27471
Default This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

Here's a look at how we fared after each 8-6 start:

2012: ?
2011: Win vs Cardinals, loss vs Ravens. Finished 9-7.
2006: Loss at Broncos, loss vs Steelers. Finished 8-8
2003: Loss at Rams, loss vs Browns. Finished 8-8.

The only other times we've started 8-6 was in 1970, '72 and '77, when that was our final record in each of those seasons.

The thing I find discouraging is that Marv is 0-3 in division games after these 8-6 starts. Hopefully he'll use these 10 days to get the team fired up and ready to face Pittsburgh.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
If you think Dalton will average 25 passes per game, put your money where your mouth is. I'll even make it easy on you.

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Yes, log it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Going_Green Going_Green is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 170
Rep Points: 274
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

o-line needs to pass protect, and we need another receiver besides AJ to get open. Usually I get let down on these big games, but I am HOPING we come out!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-15-2012, 01:14 AM
740Bengal 740Bengal is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 116
Rep Points: 176
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

Yeah and probably the 4th one in which we have underachieved in route being 8-6....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-15-2012, 08:48 AM
ODRAB14 ODRAB14 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,878
Rep Points: 2514
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Here's a look at how we fared after each 8-6 start:

2012: ?
2011: Win vs Cardinals, loss vs Ravens. Finished 9-7.
2006: Loss at Broncos, loss vs Steelers. Finished 8-8
2003: Loss at Rams, loss vs Browns. Finished 8-8.

The only other times we've started 8-6 was in 1970, '72 and '77, when that was our final record in each of those seasons.

The thing I find discouraging is that Marv is 0-3 in division games after these 8-6 starts. Hopefully he'll use these 10 days to get the team fired up and ready to face Pittsburgh.

I blame 2006 on two people not Marvin Lewis. Brad St Louis and Shayne Graham
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 13,333
Rep Points: 27471
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRAB14 View Post
I blame 2006 on two people not Marvin Lewis. Brad St Louis and Shayne Graham
Or maybe just Brad St Louis. Graham was possibly the best kicker in the NFL up to that point. Brad's snaps got into his head. Btw, how snake-bit do you have to be to have your normally reliable long snapper go Rick Ankiel on you during a playoff run? 2006 was such a bad year. Throw in the phantom roughing the passer game with those last 2, and we easily should've finished 11-5 that year.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
If you think Dalton will average 25 passes per game, put your money where your mouth is. I'll even make it easy on you.

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Yes, log it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 AM
ODRAB14 ODRAB14 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,878
Rep Points: 2514
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Or maybe just Brad St Louis. Graham was possibly the best kicker in the NFL up to that point. Brad's snaps got into his head. Btw, how snake-bit do you have to be to have your normally reliable long snapper go Rick Ankiel on you during a playoff run? 2006 was such a bad year. Throw in the phantom roughing the passer game with those last 2, and we easily should've finished 11-5 that year.
St Louis gets blames for Denver, Graham missed the kick against the Steelers at home.. I blame Graham more for us not making the playoffs that season.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-15-2012, 09:13 AM
momadance02's Avatar
momadance02 momadance02 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 7,810
Rep Points: 8278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Or maybe just Brad St Louis. Graham was possibly the best kicker in the NFL up to that point. Brad's snaps got into his head. Btw, how snake-bit do you have to be to have your normally reliable long snapper go Rick Ankiel on you during a playoff run? 2006 was such a bad year. Throw in the phantom roughing the passer game with those last 2, and we easily should've finished 11-5 that year.
That roughing the passer call still haunts me... One of the worst calls I've ever seen..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-15-2012, 10:03 AM
BengalRugby's Avatar
BengalRugby BengalRugby is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Living in your head
Posts: 11,103
Rep Points: 21191
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

As I said to begin the season, had the Bengals at 8-8, plus or minus one game, so I hope they prove me wrong and go 10-6.Oddly, I can see the Bengals beating the Ravens and losing to the Steelers. GE was tearing up that defense, and as long as the o-line is strong and consistent, should be a W.


I don't see them losing both of these last two games, as the team has made a lot of great strides. The only thing that might get them is trying to work Cook back into a starting role this late. He needs to ride the bench until Robinson needs a breather, and forcing him back in does nothing but hurt the offense.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 AM
khamla's Avatar
khamla khamla is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,434
Rep Points: 2989
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

Its dissappointing but dude, we're in the same division as the Ravens and Steelers, two of the toughest teams in the league also most consistent. It's like almost saying you have two Patriot teams in your division.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-15-2012, 10:28 AM
shaolinghost shaolinghost is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,572
Rep Points: 4645
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post
Its dissappointing but dude, we're in the same division as the Ravens and Steelers, two of the toughest teams in the league also most consistent. It's like almost saying you have two Patriot teams in your division.
That's true, but we still had the potential to be 13-1 at this point. The Ravens game was the only one where we got handily beaten. Outside of that, our average loss was by 6 points, and only the Browns beat us by more than one score(10).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-15-2012, 10:34 AM
BMATT's Avatar
BMATT BMATT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 91
Rep Points: 182
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRAB14 View Post
St Louis gets blames for Denver, Graham missed the kick against the Steelers at home.. I blame Graham more for us not making the playoffs that season.
The loss in Denver in 2006 was a complete team failure, not just the special teams. Palmer throws a pick inside the Denver 10 yard line early in the game. Rudi Johnson's fumble turnover near the Denver 20 yard line early in the 4th quarter. Chad Johnson's penalty that wiped out a Chris Henry's 75 yard TD in the third quarter. The Bengal's defense giving up a 99 yard TD drive to rookie QB Jay Cutler in the third quarter.

Looking back, if the defense had held a 28-7 halftime lead earlier that year against the Chargers we would have been in the playoffs that year, despite the Denver/Pitt games. Instead we get outscored 42-13 in the second half and lose 49-41.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM
shaolinghost shaolinghost is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,572
Rep Points: 4645
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMATT View Post
The loss in Denver in 2006 was a complete team failure, not just the special teams. Palmer throws a pick inside the Denver 10 yard line early in the game. Rudi Johnson's fumble turnover near the Denver 20 yard line early in the 4th quarter. Chad Johnson's penalty that wiped out a Chris Henry's 75 yard TD in the third quarter. The Bengal's defense giving up a 99 yard TD drive to rookie QB Jay Cutler in the third quarter.

Looking back, if the defense had held a 28-7 halftime lead earlier that year against the Chargers we would have been in the playoffs that year, despite the Denver/Pitt games. Instead we get outscored 42-13 in the second half and lose 49-41.
There's that famous Marvin half-time adjustment we all love so much.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-15-2012, 10:44 AM
D.Boon's Avatar
D.Boon D.Boon is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,184
Rep Points: 2759
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

Marvin Lewis led teams **** during the last quarter of the season if there is something to play for. Every time we've made it to the playoffs we've limped in. This year we have the opportunity to buck that trend and enter the playoffs with momentum...but they need to play much better than they did on TH. That did not look like a playoff team. That looked like a bad football team that beat a horrible team. I'll take the win, but they have to step up. Dalton in particular needs to rise to the occasion.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 13,333
Rep Points: 27471
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMATT View Post
The loss in Denver in 2006 was a complete team failure, not just the special teams. Palmer throws a pick inside the Denver 10 yard line early in the game. Rudi Johnson's fumble turnover near the Denver 20 yard line early in the 4th quarter. Chad Johnson's penalty that wiped out a Chris Henry's 75 yard TD in the third quarter. The Bengal's defense giving up a 99 yard TD drive to rookie QB Jay Cutler in the third quarter.

Looking back, if the defense had held a 28-7 halftime lead earlier that year against the Chargers we would have been in the playoffs that year, despite the Denver/Pitt games. Instead we get outscored 42-13 in the second half and lose 49-41.
So much heartbreak in that game (and season). Sadly, that's not the only complete meltdown I've seen. In '95 we held a 31-13 lead midway through the 3rd quarter against the Steelers. Neil O'Donnell winds up leading the Steelers on 5 consecutive touchdown drives and we lost 49-31.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
If you think Dalton will average 25 passes per game, put your money where your mouth is. I'll even make it easy on you.

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Yes, log it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM
TigerJ@w's Avatar
TigerJ@w TigerJ@w is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,066
Rep Points: 699
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

That is why he is Mediocre. What about his other 6? because they out number his 4.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 PM
mars304 mars304 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WV
Posts: 569
Rep Points: 1048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJ@w View Post
That is why he is Mediocre. What about his other 6? because they out number his 4.
Well I know 2 of those other 6 he was better at this point in the season seeing how we made the playoffs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-15-2012, 02:41 PM
BoomerFan's Avatar
BoomerFan BoomerFan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,908
Rep Points: 5530
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

1-5 in this situation and we tried hard to lose that Arizona game (Benson's back to back fumbles, then a wide open WR in the endzone drops a pass in the Cardinals game).
__________________
Andy Dalton is a Drew Brees kind of quarterback. He has the two qualities every quarterback has to have. Hes accurate when he has time, and hes smart. - Sam Wyche
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 PM
PApinhead's Avatar
PApinhead PApinhead is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Grampian, PA
Posts: 4,673
Rep Points: 11595
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

I'm not a Giggles fan by any stretch of the imagination, but we did just win in primetime, so maybe the worm has turned and things will be different from here on out.
__________________


Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Jwmann2 Jwmann2 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 686
Rep Points: 431
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

If the Cowboys take down the Steelers tomorrow and then we beat either the Steelers or Ravens, I think we are in. The Ravens have been banged up and may sit their starters unlike last year when they were playing for the first round bye. Of course, nothing would satisfy me more than knocking the Squellers out of playoff contention. If we're going to slowly climb out of their shadow, we've got to win next weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-16-2012, 01:37 AM
fumetti fumetti is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rural, 4 hrs from Cincy
Posts: 1,005
Rep Points: 2758
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

2003 infuriated me. The loss to Cleveland was inexcusable. After waiting over a decade for a shot at a winning season, and then lose to a terrible team, I was ready to fire Lewis for just that loss (despite the gusty win over undefeated KC in week 10). In retrospect, that game was telling... that's basically how every year would be under Lewis...underperforming.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 13,333
Rep Points: 27471
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumetti View Post
2003 infuriated me. The loss to Cleveland was inexcusable. After waiting over a decade for a shot at a winning season, and then lose to a terrible team, I was ready to fire Lewis for just that loss (despite the gusty win over undefeated KC in week 10). In retrospect, that game was telling... that's basically how every year would be under Lewis...underperforming.
The memories actually started to come back to me as I typed out those losses.

I don't think anything can top the frustration from 2006, but that loss vs Cleveland to end 2003 comes pretty close.

I knew we would lose in St Louis to the "Greatest Show on Turf", but I fully expected to beat the Browns to get that coveted winning season.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
If you think Dalton will average 25 passes per game, put your money where your mouth is. I'll even make it easy on you.

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Yes, log it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:13 PM
hidalgo hidalgo is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 712
Rep Points: 85
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

the Bengals will finish 8-8, no doubt in my mind. they never step up in huge situations, it's just the mike brown/marvin lewis loser way
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,211
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidalgo View Post
the Bengals will finish 8-8, no doubt in my mind. they never step up in huge situations, it's just the mike brown/marvin lewis loser way

guess there's no point in watching the last two games then, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Joelist's Avatar
Joelist Joelist is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Justice, IL
Posts: 4,449
Rep Points: 6314
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

I'm thinking we lose to the Steelers and beat the Rats, thus getting our back to back winning seasons but missing the playoffs.

I just don't see how we can beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh with only one reliable receiver and the spotty blocking we've seen the last couple of games.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Bengal4ever68's Avatar
Bengal4ever68 Bengal4ever68 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,401
Rep Points: 1225
Default Re: This is Marv's fourth 8-6 start...

No playoff birth= Fire Marvin Lewis
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.