Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 307
Default Dubya Tee Eff, Mr. Lewis?

Anyone else see Marvin's post-game locker room speech on NFL.com? http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati...er-room-speech .. and wondering why he didn't use the speech to light a fire under their *** and talk about how if they play like they just did against Pittsburgh and Baltimore, we aren't going to make the playoffs? I know the defense played well and that we won the game suredly, but Lewis as a head coach has to feel the urgency of his team not playing up to par, and his locker-room speeches need to reflect that.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:52 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13047
Default Re: Dubya Tee Eff, Mr. Lewis?

I was a fan of this one. It showed a passion he needs to have constantly.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
Anyone else see Marvin's post-game locker room speech on NFL.com? http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati...er-room-speech .. and wondering why he didn't use the speech to light a fire under their *** and talk about how if they play like they just did against Pittsburgh and Baltimore, we aren't going to make the playoffs? I know the defense played well and that we won the game suredly, but Lewis as a head coach has to feel the urgency of his team not playing up to par, and his locker-room speeches need to reflect that.
agreed. that was ridiculous.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 307

Exactly! I meant to mention that in my original message. He should have had a similar post-game speech to the Hard Knocks one last night.

Last edited by Aristotle; 12-15-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:05 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1954

Quote:
I watrched the game again tonight and saw a lot of things that will keep this team from reaching the playoffs. And, yes I thought what a lame azz locker room speech that was by Lewis. Of course, Dalton wasn't much better on the post game show
Old 12-15-2012, 02:13 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5969

Light the fire in practice and immediately before the next game, not after you just survived this one.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 18728

Our OLine needs to step it up. When they do, we usually win.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3191

I love how when Marvin gives his spiel nobody gets real fired up in there. Marvin is praising the team and you could hear crickets in there instead of hoopin' and hollerin'. Marvin should have given the game ball to the D and then call out the offense to pick up their game and strive for the game ball next week.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:29 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24334
bengals Re: Dubya Tee Eff, Mr. Lewis?

Quote:
Straw grasping is what it is. Personally, I do not think there should cameras in the locker room. The fact that you are nitpicking a post game speech is funny. Did you want him to try and motivate them for the ride home?

Most importantly grown men should not need rah-rah speeches to go out and perform their jobs. They get paid to do a job (extremely well paid I might add). Does your boss come out and give you a motivational speech each day or week for your job? Do you feel you need a motivational speech to perform the job that you are being paid to do?

Performing a job you are paid to do should be a sense of pride. If you do not have pride in what you are doing then it should be obvious that you need to find something else to do.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:20 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBengals View Post
yea o line didn't have a great gm but jay gruden said those 6 sacks were really on dalton decision making and coverage sacks. philly shut our WR's down, jamming them constantly causing coverage sacks. cant put this all on the o line.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12708

Like spirited coaches speeches.

But this time of the year and in this season their careers. Professional football players should not need much motivation with the Playoffs hanging in the balance.

Especially headed into last two weeks against the teams you must beat to achieve this goal, and being division rivals on top of that.

Players should be chomping at the bit.

Nothing would be sweeter than getting to the Playoffs at pittsburgh's expense. Who-Dey ! Go Bengals !
Old 12-15-2012, 07:43 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23180

yea o line didn't have a great gm but jay gruden said those 6 sacks were really on dalton decision making and coverage sacks. philly shut our WR's down, jamming them constantly causing coverage sacks. cant put this all on the o line.

If that were true, then the sacks should go to the OC for not coming up with more creative playcalling to get players open and give Dalton more options. Others have mentioned Dalton not checking down well and eyeballing only a few WR's and completely missing guys running wide open in favor of a Leonard check down.

There's plenty of blame to be spread around with how badly the o-line looked. Not a lot to spread around for not seeing wide open WR's or calling uncreative plays...
Old 12-15-2012, 08:28 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1709
bengals Re: Dubya Tee Eff, Mr. Lewis?

Quote:
Andy Dalton is scary and he flat out scares me. i do not see him getting better.i like him over palmer, but i just do not see him leading this team past the stoolers. i feel like he wants to ,but its not in his DNA.and the nfl network post-game show is just a way to make a mockery of him. they are not saying it to hlim directly, but they are showing it in their body-language that he is not answer. the guy had a terrible game and he would have cost us the game had it not been for the defense. i do not see him being that much better next week.the guy will probably play a little better, but that is the worse i have seen him. he was for sure really really bad.it almost looked like he didn't have a clue what to do. alot of wide open receivers that he did not even see.i do not believe our team will beat the stoolers. its just too hard of a task and they will not lose a game to us this late with everything on the line. the dallas game will come back to be our downfall. this team just lays down when it counts, what a shame.another what-if season is the way i see it.we lose to the stoolers big time and come home and beat the ravens to end our season.this is exactly what is going to happen.i hate to say it, but we could easily be 12 and 4 as this team is good enough to do that.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10405

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyaoutkast View Post

Ooooh really? LMFAO

Not gonna defend Dalton at the drop of a hat... but WTF?

O-line guys got beat. Maybe not all the time, but most of the time.

I'm not believing a single word from Mr. Gruden after the Cowboys debacle. That was some sorry azz logic IMO.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsRocker View Post
Ooooh really? LMFAO

Not gonna defend Dalton at the drop of a hat... but WTF?

O-line guys got beat. Maybe not all the time, but most of the time.

I'm not believing a single word from Mr. Gruden after the Cowboys debacle. That was some sorry azz logic IMO.
In fairness, I think blame should be placed on Dalton, the Oline, AND Gruden for those sacks. There were times when Dalton held the ball too long, and there were times he barely had time to to drop back before getting hit. You could also say Gruden failed to adapt and call plays that kept Andy off the ground.

Plenty of blame to go around for that abomination of an offensive performance Thursday.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:02 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
In fairness, I think blame should be placed on Dalton, the Oline, AND Gruden for those sacks. There were times when Dalton held the ball too long, and there were times he barely had time to to drop back before getting hit. You could also say Gruden failed to adapt and call plays that kept Andy off the ground.

Plenty of blame to go around for that abomination of an offensive performance Thursday.
Yes I agree. Plenty of room to go around. Not 6 sacks though. Andy should have thrown the ball away as well.

I still would like to see more designed plays where Dalton runs. Like the TD run. There are opportunities there. If what Jay Gruden said was true. There should be room if coverage is playing tight to receivers. Gruden should have taken notice earlier and made adjustments.

I still think Boling stunk up the field. Which didn't help. Also Andre let guys get right past him in pass protection. Whit was getting beat a little but most was from Boling not engaging his man at the LOS.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:08 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
I watrched the game again tonight and saw a lot of things that will keep this team from reaching the playoffs. And, yes I thought what a lame azz locker room speech that was by Lewis. Of course, Dalton wasn't much better on the post game show
Good work, Derrick
Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsRocker View Post
Yes I agree. Plenty of room to go around. Not 6 sacks though. Andy should have thrown the ball away as well.

I still would like to see more designed plays where Dalton runs. Like the TD run. There are opportunities there. If what Jay Gruden said was true. There should be room if coverage is playing tight to receivers. Gruden should have taken notice earlier and made adjustments.

I still think Boling stunk up the field. Which didn't help. Also Andre let guys get right past him in pass protection. Whit was getting beat a little but most was from Boling not engaging his man at the LOS.
Well, I know Whit wasn't feeling too well since he was on the sidelines with an illness the last few minutes. Dre should have had more help blocking the speed rusher. Chip blocks would have likely been helpful in stopping him from getting beat so much. With Boling, you're right, he just had a bad game.

Speed rushers seem to be a big problem for this Oline, so keeping a FB, RB or TE home on mid to long pass plays when facing teams with those guys might be a good idea.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8451

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyyearfan View Post
Andy Dalton is scary and he flat out scares me. i do not see him getting better.i like him over palmer, but i just do not see him leading this team past the stoolers. i feel like he wants to ,but its not in his DNA.and the nfl network post-game show is just a way to make a mockery of him. they are not saying it to hlim directly, but they are showing it in their body-language that he is not answer. the guy had a terrible game and he would have cost us the game had it not been for the defense. i do not see him being that much better next week.the guy will probably play a little better, but that is the worse i have seen him. he was for sure really really bad.it almost looked like he didn't have a clue what to do. alot of wide open receivers that he did not even see.i do not believe our team will beat the stoolers. its just too hard of a task and they will not lose a game to us this late with everything on the line. the dallas game will come back to be our downfall. this team just lays down when it counts, what a shame.another what-if season is the way i see it.we lose to the stoolers big time and come home and beat the ravens to end our season.this is exactly what is going to happen.i hate to say it, but we could easily be 12 and 4 as this team is good enough to do that.
Does anybody even read this guys posts anymore? lol
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2897

Personaly when I played lockerroom speechs never did much for me. But when the coach got in your face in a game for screwing up that got my attention. Marvin should have been in Marvin Jones, The Olines, and Daltons grill. Not yelling but questioning and "refocusing".

Best football quote. After the coach gave his pre game speech, he looked at Johnny U and asked, "John you got anything?" His response:

"Talk is cheap. Let's go play." Johnny Unitas.

This team hab no maaahbulls!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3566

Am I the only one who noticed that it was mostly coaches standing around him? Josh Brown was the only player standing close. Except for maybe Maualuga who appeared to be standing behind him the whole time. I just thought it was weird that the players weren't the closer ones.
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
Well, I know Whit wasn't feeling too well since he was on the sidelines with an illness the last few minutes. Dre should have had more help blocking the speed rusher. Chip blocks would have likely been helpful in stopping him from getting beat so much. With Boling, you're right, he just had a bad game.

Speed rushers seem to be a big problem for this Oline, so keeping a FB, RB or TE home on mid to long pass plays when facing teams with those guys might be a good idea.

I agree. Speaking of which... the Pressley injury. I know they had to put Charles in for a few plays. I hope that's not gonna hurt our running game. He made a huge block for BJGE earlier in the game. Charles is a good blocker with some speed so i think he may be able to fill the role. Maybe if this happens we'll see him thrown to more as well. Screens and such.

VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23180

I always though the best way to handle speed rushers was to simply run the ball right at them early and often. Put them on their keisters for half the game and they won't be so fast with the first step when it comes time to pass.

And agree the Bengals need to be smarter with their chip blocking and not asking receiving TE's like Gresham to take on defenders one on one.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3921

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBengals View Post
This. I can't help but remember the play of Faine against pitt last time around. If they are going to bracket AJ with their best two cover guys, then you must line up with 4 WRs or at the very least 3 WRs and a TE split out EVERY DOWN. You can still run just fine out of this formation. Spread them out and attack them. We'll see how long they bracket AJ if they are givin gup 10-15 yards a pop to Hawk, Gresh, Orson, and Marvin Jones.

And have BJGE chip and roll out short on every non-rushing play. One of the most alarming mistakes I noticed against Philly was how after a holding call or something else that made it first and 20, all the receivers were 15 yards downfield. Send all but one to clear out, but you have to have an outlet for Dalton in case a blitzer comes free.

While I am drawing up a game plan for this week, pull out all the stops. Hopefully Peerman will be back for the fake punt. How does this sound? Peerman lines up right of center in his usual fake spot, and at the snap takes off to the outside. Huber catches the snap and runs left. Everyone might buy the fake of Peerman. Just a thought. But I want to attack, rather than play conservative and hope they screw up. I wouldn't blitz at all, though. Our LB and S are jus tnot strong pass rushers. We will have to rely on pressure from the front four and lock down their offensive weapons.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Straw grasping is what it is. Personally, I do not think there should cameras in the locker room. The fact that you are nitpicking a post game speech is funny. Did you want him to try and motivate them for the ride home?

Most importantly grown men should not need rah-rah speeches to go out and perform their jobs. They get paid to do a job (extremely well paid I might add). Does your boss come out and give you a motivational speech each day or week for your job? Do you feel you need a motivational speech to perform the job that you are being paid to do?

Performing a job you are paid to do should be a sense of pride. If you do not have pride in what you are doing then it should be obvious that you need to find something else to do.
What a dumb comment. Everyone has a job - including Marvin Lewis - whose JOB is to motivate, find the best players, and train them. Forget speeches, we are talking motivation! No wonder we come out so flat when our head coach is so emotionless.

You are so delusional if you think the only compensation to a job is money. The employee will then go to a different employer where he gets treated better, has a better boss, and better compensation.

Get a grip!