Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 26727
Default Re: Every team..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcholas View Post
And some people say say that we match with Patriots, Brady all nonsense stuff. Do we have caliber to a AFC Championship game? I don't know.
The Bengals are 2/3 there! The defense is incredible. In fact, Mike Mayock last night said the Bengals have "a Super Bowl defense" and he's right. Maybe some of you don't remember the 2000 Baltimore Ravens whose offense was a sputtering pile of black and purple dung but their defense was beyond amazing, often winning games all by themselves. The 2012 Bengals have this type of defense! In previous years, there is no way a Cincinnati defense could rise to the occasion as they did last night and shut down an inspired Eagle team.

Darrin Simmons deserves great credit, too, because I happen to think the Bengals have the best special teams in the league. Josh Brown is an incredible kicker, Kevin Huber can drop a punt on a dime like Tiger Woods sticking a wedge shot near the pin, and the punt coverage team is sick.

If the Cincinnati offense can bring back their mid-season form like they had when the Giants came to town, the sky is the limit. Right now, if they can eliminate the turnovers, life will be good -- not great -- but they will be given many opportunities to score.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:12 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
The Bengals are 2/3 there! The defense is incredible. In fact, Mike Mayock last night said the Bengals have "a Super Bowl defense" and he's right. Maybe some of you don't remember the 2000 Baltimore Ravens whose offense was a sputtering pile of black and purple dung but their defense was beyond amazing, often winning games all by themselves. The 2012 Bengals have this type of defense! In previous years, there is no way a Cincinnati defense could rise to the occasion as they did last night and shut down an inspired Eagle team.

Darrin Simmons deserves great credit, too, because I happen to think the Bengals have the best special teams in the league. Josh Brown is an incredible kicker, Kevin Huber can drop a punt on a dime like Tiger Woods sticking a wedge shot near the pin, and the punt coverage team is sick.

If the Cincinnati offense can bring back their mid-season form like they had when the Giants came to town, the sky is the limit. Right now, if they can eliminate the turnovers, life will be good -- not great -- but they will be given many opportunities to score.
If we still had sanu I truly believe the offense would still be good. As soon as he went down the offense hasn't been the same.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-15-2012, 12:25 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20726
Default Re: Well we're getting slammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
But who cares. If it was the Steelers/Ravens they'd be singing their praises. Talking about that stout D taking over and winning the game for the offense. They'd be praising the resilience of the team to be able to win the ugly games as well as the dominant ones. And they'd be praising their ability to overcome adversity. Nevertheless the talking points going around is that we lost. Lost a game that the score says ended 34-13. And while their points may have some truth to them, you can't help but to know that other teams wouldn't get the same response from the national media as we are this morning. Ugly game yes. A loss though?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...e-best-you-got

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...ying-like-that
The Bengals' offense was pitiful, but our defense and ST's outplayed theirs. At the end of the day, the national media doesn't decide who makes the playoffs, and I'll take an ugly W over a pretty L any time. The media's problem is that they keep trying to push Andy Reid as an elite coach, which he isn't even close to, and Nick Fowles as a franchise QB. Then they go out and get clowned on national TV.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 149
bengals Re: Every team..

Quote:

I could not agree with you more ....i will be more sold on the defense if we can go on the road and beat the steelers and the ravens at home ....Then i will say this team has made it to the next level.......I still think leon hall is the weak part of the defense ....And so do other teams as it showed last night as the eagels whent after him on every 3rd down for completions.....The next 2 weeks will tell alot about the bengals....One more draft might be just what the doctor ordered.....But they do have a chance to make a run...Will just have to wait and see
Old 12-15-2012, 12:44 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15944

Quote:

If you mean that both teams have 11 guys on the field, then yes.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 56

All I know is if the offense plays like they did against the Eagles we will get blown out by the Ravens and Steelers. The game was hard to watch because Eagles were playing poorly and our offense was playing poorly it just made for bad football. I'm just glad we got out of there with a win.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 56

Quote:

I would compare our defense to the Giants defense that won the Super Bowl twice. We don't necessarily have great Linebackers or Defensive backs but our D Line is the best in Football and if you can get pressure on the QB you can beat anybody in the league. 3 things I think you need to win Super Bowl Pass Rush, Good QB,and guys that he can get the ball too.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1522

I think many people have touched on good points, especially about the defense, but here's a twist a friend of mine and I were talking about.

Over the years, we've been attuned to some pretty good offensive football, and when we won games, it was mostly from really moving the ball and scoring. Therefore, when the offense struggles, we all feel like we're not playing well at all.

We just haven't seen that many games (at least in a long time) where our defense goes out and just wins it for us. That's pretty much what happened Thursday.

There have been many outstanding NFL teams whose defense has been the really outstanding part of winning football games. We're not used to it, but that's what seems to be emerging here.

If the offense keeps coming, and I think it will, we will soon be a terrific team.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:15 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8695

A win is a win... Im sure they wouldnt be saying the same about the Jets if they beat the Eagles..
Old 12-15-2012, 05:40 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1223

Hey now, only we are aloud to talk that way about our team!!!

Now put on your troll hats..all of you, click on those 2 links, and go rape these guys *****!

On a side I hope these 2 articles get hung in every players locker.

Last edited by Atomic Orange; 12-15-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22397
bengals Re: Well we're getting slammed

Why do so many people pay so much attention to what the media has to spew?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2387

The Bengals played a sloppy game Thursday night. Just like last year, they are going to have multiple changes to step up and control their own destiny. I'd expect crisp execution, few penalties, and play like their hair is on fire. I've seen none of that so far, although the defense does deserve credit for holding up their end of the bargain most of the time.

So they deserve to get slammed.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 149
bengals Re: Well we're getting slammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
You might say "A muffed handoff" and I say "the D-lineman who was right there as soon as the ball was handed off disrupted the play. The RB and QB were surprised, the RB was like 'Oh ****!!!' and didn't secure the ball"

You say "bad pass" I say "QB was hurrying and afraid of being murdered in the backfield and hurried the throw".

What about the strip from behind?

What about the blocked punt?

What about BJGE running the ball and his 1 yard TD?

What about Dalton's TD run and throw?

The defense got the turnovers, the offense still had to put it into the end zone except for the fumble taken for a TD.

I know the offense had problems last night but when given the opportunity, they scored. I'm still not satisfied though and the Bengals need to win next week and win convincingly.
I will never apologize for a 21 point win on the road with only 4 days rest in the NFL......I hear all this crap about he got burned the Oline got beat like a drum and so on and so on......But the only thing that really matters at the end of the day is the score board in every football game.......Every team matches up differently......Pittsburge won games the same way for years and they where considerd great.....I LOVE SEEING A DEFENSE TAKE OVER THE GAME ESPECiALLY WHEN ITS OURS......It looked like men agained boys out there in the 2nd half (LOL EVERYBODY KNOWS CATS EAT BIRDS}

Last edited by fulltime bengalfan; 12-15-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19004

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
Honestly, we didn't win that game as much as Philly lost it. 3 turnovers in, what, 4 offensive plays has little to do with our defense (a pass that fell 10 yards short of the target and a muffed handoff). It was a close game (that we were losing) late into the third quarter. The final score in no way reflects how close we were to a loss. How many times did we score we started on our own half?

I'm glad we won, but you can't get all offended when a potential playoff team can barely squeak by a 4-win team with a 3rd string rookie at QB.
I don't care what you say, winning by 21 and shutting out a team in the second half is in no way squeaking out a win. You're just wrong and that's all there is to it.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneiderman99 View Post
All I know is if the offense plays like they did against the Eagles we will get blown out by the Ravens and Steelers. The game was hard to watch because Eagles were playing poorly and our offense was playing poorly it just made for bad football. I'm just glad we got out of there with a win.
The Eagles were not playing poorly on defense, especially their DLine. In fact, they were playing very well. You can't just tell lies to make a point.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:21 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8926

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
The Eagles were not playing poorly on defense, especially their DLine. In fact, they were playing very well. You can't just tell lies to make a point.
But, it's still a little disturbing that their D-line seemed so strong against us. I mean, heading into that game here are the passer ratings put up by QBs on Philly's D since their bye week: 137.3, 128.2, 122.1, 158.3, 125, 150.5, 79.2. They also hadn't generated a turnover in 5 straight games. In other words, Philly's D has been complete pushover most of the season and then suddenly looked really strong against us.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:24 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
But, it's still a little disturbing that their D-line seemed so strong against us. I mean, heading into that game here are the passer ratings put up by QBs on Philly's D since their bye week: 137.3, 128.2, 122.1, 158.3, 125, 150.5, 79.2. They also hadn't generated a turnover in 5 straight games. In other words, Philly's D has been complete pushover most of the season and then suddenly looked really strong against us.
The key number there is the 79.2. It tells me they were coming off a better game. They also just changed DLine coaches. They might very well be better for the rest of the year.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:28 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8926

Quote:
The key number there is the 79.2. It tells me they were coming off a better game. They also just changed DLine coaches. They might very well be better for the rest of the year.
Good point, I'd forgotten about the coaching change in D-line. If they continue that turnaround the remaining 2 games of the season it'll certainly speak strongly to the power of coaching!
Old 12-16-2012, 11:44 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 357

I really think we played a poor game - at least offensively - against Philly and deserved to be slammed/criticized for a poor performance. When you throw the ball 25-30 times and only complete a pass to 1 wide receiver ..... you probably have issues. Good thing for 5 turnovers whether we caused them or whether Philly gave them up. Probably a game we should have lost. Makes up for the Dallas and Denver games when we played well enough to win.

If we only complete 3-4 passes to Jones/Tate/Whalen for 50-60 yards, and wash on the turnovers, I think we have little chance of beating the Steelers. Minus Sanu's fine season, we've been waiting 7-8 months for someone to replace Jerome as our #2 WR. 2-3 catches a game and NO TDs doesn't do the job. And Mayock and Co. is going to proven right unless something changes.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:49 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Good point, I'd forgotten about the coaching change in D-line. If they continue that turnaround the remaining 2 games of the season it'll certainly speak strongly to the power of coaching!
Also, they were throwing ever stunt and blitz in the book at us. The onus was on Jay to find a way to beat it and he didn't so that. At least Andy was able to beat it once with his legs when it really mattered.

But Jay had better be prepared to find a way the last two games because you know those two defenses will throw everything but the kitchen sink at Andy.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5251

Quote:
I don't care what you say, winning by 21 and shutting out a team in the second half is in no way squeaking out a win. You're just wrong and that's all there is to it.
It's your prerogative not to care, but I'm not wrong. If you think we looked like a playoff-caliber team on Thursday, then I sincerely hope someone took your keys from you for the evening.

The defense looked good. There's no debating that. But they should have looked good. The Eagles offense was inept to begin with, and then they were hobbled by injuries. Our offense needs to learn how to put together a long scoring drive. It's unlikely that we will start virtually every drive in field goal range against the Patriots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademark View Post
Michigan should go undefeated with this weak schedule.

Last edited by whodey21; 12-16-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: fixed some grammar
Old 12-16-2012, 12:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1581

Quote:
Exactly. The Steelers get praised for 'winning ugly' ... like they did earlier in the year in OT over a very bad Chiefs team ... because they've won championships. Until we do ... until we at least win a playoff game .. we're not going to get the benefit of the doubt on games like last night.
We lose to the Cowboys the mention how teams like the Ravens and Steelers always find a way to win when their offense is down. They "win ugly", they struggle but still find ways to win.

The Bengals win ugly and it is just more disrespect. The #6 defense in the league showed up and made pays when in mattered. What does the media say, this Bengals team got lucky.

Lol I ignore 90% of what the media says about the Bengals it is always some skewed ********.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:38 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8695

Well the Ravens, Steelers and Browns all lost.. I wonder if our ugly win is still a bad thing?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4998

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Well the Ravens, Steelers and Browns all lost.. I wonder if our ugly win is still a bad thing?
That is what I am thinking, lol. It is hard to ignore a team who is in the lead for a wildcard spot and still able to win the division.

Now beating Pitt will be a challenge however I see no reason why our D-line can't pressure the heck out of Ben and sack him 4 or more times.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddie View Post
We lose to the Cowboys the mention how teams like the Ravens and Steelers always find a way to win when their offense is down. They "win ugly", they struggle but still find ways to win.

The Bengals win ugly and it is just more disrespect. The #6 defense in the league showed up and made pays when in mattered. What does the media say, this Bengals team got lucky.

Lol I ignore 90% of what the media says about the Bengals it is always some skewed ********.
I don't know if a 3 TD win can be considered an ugly win.

Trailing by 3 was our low point...

If we played our best, we might have won by 60...