Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6747
Default After the Cowboys debacle!

Obviously I want the team to resign the teams key FA's..Dre,MJ, Pac-Man..ect.
When it comes to the draft I don't wanna see anymore than 3 picks spent for the offense.
I would probably prefer just 2 on that side of the ball.
What I do want to see is Clements and Newman gone! Then several defensive backs drafted. I'm tired of watching those old cats out there "with boxing gloves on". (to steal a line from Chad) Those dropped picks just kill a teams momentum.
I have respect for those guys but enough is enough with that stuff. They're vets they should know that they have to make those plays.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 12-10-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20711
Default Re: After the Cowboys debacle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
Obviously I want the team to resign the teams key FA's..Dre,MJ, Pac-Man..ect.
When it comes to the draft I don't wanna see anymore than 3 picks spent for the offense.
I would probably prefer just 2 on that side of the ball.
What I do want to see is Clements and Newman gone! Then several defensive backs drafted. I'm tired of watching those old cats out there "with boxing gloves on". To steal a line from Chad. Those dropped picks just kill a teams momentum.
I have respect for those guys but enough is enough with that stuff. They're vets they should know that they have to make those plays.
So Newman plays good all season long, and by all accounts played a good game yesterday minus a dropped pick and he should go?
Now, the dropped pick ***** donkey balls no doubt, but if he is willing to come back on the cheap, Id welcome him back.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
So Newman plays good all season long, and by all accounts played a good game yesterday minus a dropped pick and he should go?
Now, the dropped pick ***** donkey balls no doubt, but if he is willing to come back on the cheap, Id welcome him back.
Don't get me wrong I would welcome him back on the cheap for sure. I'm not trying to trash those guys.I just wanna get some playmakers back there that will hang onto the ball.
I like Clements and Newman but those drops blow. I just wanna see the team get better.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I would welcome him back on the cheap for sure. I'm not trying to trash those guys.I just wanna get some playmakers back there that will hang onto the ball.
I like Clements and Newman but those drops blow.
Newman was also the first CB of ours to make an interception this year. We need a playmaker, but I would rather it be a CF type S who can track the ball and make a play.
Im fine with our CB's as long as they do a good job continuing to make the QB and WR have contested throws and keep making the tackles right away. Very few broken tackles coming from opposing WR.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:

Newman has played terrible up until these past 2 or 3 games i'd say.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
Then you are wrong.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Newman was also the first CB of ours to make an interception this year. We need a playmaker, but I would rather it be a CF type S who can track the ball and make a play.
Im fine with our CB's as long as they do a good job continuing to make the QB and WR have contested throws and keep making the tackles right away. Very few broken tackles coming from opposing WR.
Your point is a good one. They have played well for a couple of old guys (lol). I'm still feeling the sting from yesterday is all.
I would like to see them bring in some talent on the backside of the D though. Good competition makes for a good defense.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Your point is a good one. They have played well for a couple of old guys (lol). I'm still feeling the sting from yesterday is all.
I would like to see them bring in some talent on the backside of the D though. Good competition makes for a good defense.
I understand completely bud.
Look at it this way, watching that game you know (and I mean you absolutely KNOW) we win that game 9/10 times. AJ doesn't drop those passes. DB's dont drop easy picks all at once. Just chalk it up to the mathematical ways of the world. It is a little easier to grasp. We got some luck with Pitt and Baltimore losing. So there is a slim glimmer of hope yet.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7447

Newman has been good this season, but the drop picks killed us yesterday.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27524

Quote:
Same And clements still looks good like he did last year..

But on Offense with Jones and Sanu emerging i can see a core of

Green Sanu Jones
Grehsam Charles

Maybe look for a solid TE in the mid rounds (cause carrying just 2 can cause problems)

Get a Running back to go with Green Ellis and Peerman.

Get a Solid SS if we arent gonna let mays play then Draft someone else. Crocker was always a stopgap.

DE to replace geathers if hes gone. Resign some of our own..

Draft Linebackers...

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-11-2012, 05:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5778

Obviously our draft priorities will be angled towards LB - the single biggest problem area on D. At minimum we need a starter quality OLB and possibly two of them. CB would be nice but we also have offensive needs (speed back, WR still).
Old 12-11-2012, 06:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1334

I am sick and tired of watching Newman chase after receivers after they catch a ball. The guy is not a playmaker and if they won't stick Dre out there at this point in the season, you gotta wonder just what they think of him. I know he's hurt now, but get this kid some reps and throw him out there instead of CBs that do nothing but allow catches and then chase down receivers. We need playmakers in the def backfield
Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34471

Newman has performed admirably for us this year, but he's going to be 78 years old next year. I feel the OP dump all the geeshers and bring in some younger talent. Is anybody else like me and forgets Shaun Prater is on this team? We get him and Ghee healthy, draft a mid-rounder (Bushell UL?) and we'll be fine.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2533

Jones is a higher priority to me than Newman, though he has done well. Jones' return skills are highly influential in that decision.

We do have some youth to put into the system, and it's not a bad idea to do so. Hopefully Kirk will be able to start next year, Adam as nickle and young guys as backups, with Allen possibly?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1334

For me Jones is a way more valuable player to resign. He offers us one of the best PRers in the league in addition to pretty solid coverage.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2372

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
Jones is a higher priority to me than Newman, though he has done well. Jones' return skills are highly influential in that decision.

We do have some youth to put into the system, and it's not a bad idea to do so. Hopefully Kirk will be able to start next year, Adam as nickle and young guys as backups, with Allen possibly?
He has to get on the field this year some, we don't want another T. Mays situation.
3rd. OT JaWaun James
4th. DT Caruan Reid
5th QB Aaron Murry
6th DE Brent Urban
7th WR/KR John Brown
Old 12-15-2012, 07:02 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19904
bengals Re: After the Cowboys debacle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
You would be wrong then. You do not have a top 10 defense with bad CB play. Simple as that. Newman has had a very good season. To be honest I was more than little concerned when it appeared he was going to be taking the lions share of snaps.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:37 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9678

Newman and Clements haven't been bad this year. They haven't been great either, but they've been pretty solid.

I remember earlier in the year, I hated Newman starting. He didn't seem to do well and made some ST mistakes, but quickly adjusted and got better. I was impressed.

The thing that worries me about this secondary isn't exactly the youth, but the health of the youth.

Ghee has yet to be healthy for a full season. Hall just came off an ACL tear and has missed 2 games this year. Kirkpatrick had a concussion and before that an injury. And Prater has also had a season ending injury.

This secondary has talent and youth. There's no question. The only real question is can they stay healthy?

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 PM

Rep Points: 76

Jonathan Banks sounds good in the first rd, but i doubt that he will be there when we pick. But some youth in the secondary is definately needed. A ballhawking safety would make any offense look as bad as the jags. Resign pac, sign newman for another one year deal. Draft vacarro or rambo. And sit back and watch greatness appear like it never had happened before.