Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5310
Default Re: Breaking news

I put down my weapons after I retired, but I support the right to bear arms. I just don't support the right to bear arms and be stupid while doing it.

Steeler Eater, thank you for ^^^^^^. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3534

It's probably not the right time to question the acts of the mother, because she was murdered also. But if you have a disturbed child, or one with mental problems, maybe it is wise to exclude him from being able to access the family guns.

Last edited by goalpost; 12-15-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25779

1. Interviewing the kids on TV right now is absolutely appalling. Just sick, the news media is just sick right now hounding people on Twitter for interviews if they have family and loved ones who were possibly involved.

2. Still no mention of how he was mentally ill and untreated while they continue to harp on guns. Why not talk about the root of the issue? A kid who was clearly not well and never was.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:15 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Breaking news

Why would that lady have a assult weapon, and glocks, and other high powered hand guns, how many attackers was she planning to hold off, if she was a person who was responsible, the son wouldn't be able to get to the guns, my son has guns, but only hunting guns, no high powered rifles, because you can't hunt with them in our state, but they are still in a metal gun cabinet, with the keys locked in the trunk of his car.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:19 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyJon View Post
Sin nature causes one to sin. You call it a mental illness. He is responsible for this evil deed. The evil deed was committed because of the root cause of sin.
Probably been visiting that meth lab someone mentioned.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Lanza denied when trying to buy rifle
Old 12-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1762

A lot of us grew up with cartoons such as Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, the Road Runner and Wylie Coyote. Those were pretty violent cartoons which is one of the reasons they were pulled. Using violence on tv as the cause of the problem, I am not buying. What I will buy though is the up bringing of the children. Mom's and dad's can't or won't take the time to teach children right from wrong.

I think what should be done to protect these children is to have a security guard at each entrance. Once the kids are inside the doors get locked. If there is an emergency where the kids need to exit the building, the guards can unlock the doors.

As far as background checks, it should not just concentrate on the individual who wishes to purchase a side arm, but it should include family history and also the friends whom they hang out with.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3707

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenetwolf View Post
A lot of us grew up with cartoons such as Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, the Road Runner and Wylie Coyote. Those were pretty violent cartoons which is one of the reasons they were pulled. Using violence on tv as the cause of the problem, I am not buying. What I will buy though is the up bringing of the children. Mom's and dad's can't or won't take the time to teach children right from wrong.

I think what should be done to protect these children is to have a security guard at each entrance. Once the kids are inside the doors get locked. If there is an emergency where the kids need to exit the building, the guards can unlock the doors.

As far as background checks, it should not just concentrate on the individual who wishes to purchase a side arm, but it should include family history and also the friends whom they hang out with.
Well you cant do that because I have close friends who have committed murder or deal drugs and are in jail for it....So what would that say about me? While your aquaintances are relevant, in the end you cant base many things on them

Old 12-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
Well you cant do that because I have close friends who have committed murder or deal drugs and are in jail for it....So what would that say about me? While your aquaintances are relevant, in the end you cant base many things on them
It says nothing about you, but it does lend itself out to look deeper into their past. Personally I think a background check should last 6 months to a year. It may seem like a lot of wasted resources, but it may be worth it imo.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

All these shootings are happening......my advice to you..buy a gun while you still can.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:28 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 45006

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Hey look, the gun laws worked, but a psycho managed to find a way around legal barriers.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36580

Quote:
I can load, shoot, and reload a single shot shotgun 20 times in under 40 seconds. I guess single shot shotguns, perhaps one of the safest guns in America, have to be banned to, because people can shoot them quickly.
I can too. Can you do it accurately? Because I know I can't. Also, if you were to use such a weapon in the type of incident we saw yesterday, the time you would be working the action to reload is an opportunity for being disarmed. The more often that happens, the more chances of the situation ending there are.

There is no perfect solution, I will be the first to admit that. If someone wants to kill people they will kill people. But why make it so easy?
Old 12-15-2012, 03:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1834

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
I can too. Can you do it accurately? Because I know I can't. Also, if you were to use such a weapon in the type of incident we saw yesterday, the time you would be working the action to reload is an opportunity for being disarmed. The more often that happens, the more chances of the situation ending there are.

There is no perfect solution, I will be the first to admit that. If someone wants to kill people they will kill people. But why make it so easy?
Yes I can do it accurately. It's a shotgun. With some birdshot in it at a short distance it isn't hard at all to hit a target. That's why shotguns make great home defense weapons.
to preach to the Gentiles
the unfathomable riches of Christ" (Ephesians 3:8)

Old 12-15-2012, 04:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Hey look, the gun laws worked, but a psycho managed to find a way around legal barriers.
Hmm go figure
Old 12-15-2012, 04:24 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15544

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
It's probably not the right time to question the acts of the mother, because she was murdered also. But if you have a disturbed child, or one with mental problems, maybe it is wise to exclude him from being able to access the family guns.
Exactly. There are already laws on the books that prohibit him from purchasing any firearms. Obviously,the mother didn't have hers properly locked away. Especially having a child in the house with mental problems.
How do you prevent it? By forbidding her ownership,her right to self defense?

I'm watching Panic 911 with my wife and am blown away how many times the 911 dispatch says to put your gun down. One of the women on this show did and was raped pregnant in front of her son before the cops arrived. Never put down the gun if they tell you too,defend yourself and your family!

Even if you destroy every gun,evil will still exist.

"When the federal government spends more each year than it collects in tax revenues, it has three choices: It can raise taxes, print money, or borrow money. While these actions may benefit politicians, all three options are bad for average Americans."
-Ron Paul
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." -Ron Paul
Old 12-15-2012, 05:34 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21523

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStripes View Post

Even if you destroy every gun,evil will still exist.
I sat this morning and absorbed the news. 2.5hrs of jaw dropping, aww struck news. First, let me say that any survivor or responder to this tragic event will never be the same. The thoughts of these innocent little children being massacred is beyond my comprehension. I heard the term "evil" many times this morning. That is exactly what it was. EVIL! I cannot imagine what these people are going through and pray the good lord watch over the families and the community. Oh dear lord, bless those children!
Old 12-15-2012, 06:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36580

Quote:
Yes I can do it accurately. It's a shotgun. With some birdshot in it at a short distance it isn't hard at all to hit a target. That's why shotguns make great home defense weapons.
2 seconds a shot to reload and aim? 20 different targets? Not an easy task, even with birdshot. Been there. Though the targets were moving and smaller than humans, but yeah.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8946

Is that 270 million legally owned guns or does that number include illegally owned guns as well?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking. They could have just given an estimated number. If its just legally owned guns, then I suspect that number to be much higher if you were to count the illegal guns. Then, there are the guns that are sold between private parties and then sold again.

I would bet that there are enough guns in the United States to give 2 to every man woman and child. That would be 700 million, but maybe I'm over estimating. There is no way the government would be able to ban all guns here in the United States.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:07 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1077

Quote:
blah blah blah sin nature. (more blah in multiple posts)
If your multiple posts about sin refers to the surface level of sin nature that most people are familiar with then you should refrain from comment because that is divisive.

If you are familiar with the fact that sin in Spanish means "without" and the correlation to what it means in English as one digs much deeper into the topic than most people do, you have a valid point but need to alter your method of presenting the idea. Begin with defining sin.

In a world where secular views have become the more accepted than religious ideology, the only way to make a point to a broader audience is to relate to both mentalities at the same time. You will find many religious teachings are completely in line with secular sociology and psychology.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1077

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
A lot of it has to do with those around them as well, though. So many people are not willing to open up a discussion with the person about it. I had a friend who was exhibiting some signs of a mental disorder and I told them, and gave them the number of a psychiatrist I know. I badgered him for 2 months before he finally mad an appointment and was eventually diagnosed.

Most people aren't willing to do that because that conversation can make people uncomfortable, and possibly cost you a friend. But we need to help them out as much as they need to help themselves.
The only reason I bothered to read this thread is to see if someone touched on this. Not surprised it was Matt.

Knowledge and compassion on the overall mental health of our society as a whole is even more important than the mental health of the individual. If more people had that knowledge and compassion, perhaps someone would be able to intervene before the person hurts others.

I have experience with a person who was about to go on a spree and was able to bring him back to sanity enough to avoid it.

Possibly a good point to start, learning the difference between types of killings (such as spree, mass, serial and individual killers) and the generalized profile of those who perpetrate them.

I know Matt specifies automatic weapons when stating gun control but many of you fail to be specific when you say "gun control". Saying assault weapons is not an accurate specific especially when you consider the definition in the "Brady Bill". If you were to look at that, some of the weapons banned were less of a threat than many that weren't.