Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:26 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2127
Default How do you feel about guns?

With mass shootings getting more and more common have they changed your stance on guns one way or the other? I've always wanted a gun thinking it was important for the home, I carry one just about every day at work but was never able to convince my wife to let us have one. She has changed her stance on guns and I was wondering if anyone else has as well.

I see a lot of people are turning in and getting rid of guns now but this has made us ready to go buy one.

Who Dey think gonna beat them Bengals!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:29 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17476
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

I have them and will never give them up to the government.

This much I know
Old 12-16-2012, 08:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5310

I don't own them personally, but I support the 2nd Amendment's right to own them. However, their version of arms didn't consist of assault rifles and other high powered weapons. No one should have to own something like that to protect their person or family. While I am a supporter of the 2nd Amendment, I'm not a supporter of the NRA's constant misuse of that amendment. I believe we need stricter gun control laws nationwide. I also think we need stronger background checks for people wishing to purchase weapons. We're getting lax as a country in some of those areas, and many of our nation's innocent people are being taken away from us far too soon because of it.

Steeler Eater, thank you for ^^^^^^. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:46 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36238

Zero need for full or semi-automatic weapons in the hands of civilians and also a firearm safety class before ownership.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:10 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 78495

I've heard about a lot of people rushing out to get guns after this incident.

When someone tells me that they own a gun, they tell me a lot about themselves.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:22 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10396

My only stances are...

For crap's sake know how to responsibly have them in your house.

As many children that have died in this one tragedy... many more have died in the homes of people in this nation that own guns that have children. Improper storage and handling is mostly to blame.

The real tragedy is most people get them for protection.... and in more cases either their own family member shoot themselves or other members/friends with them.

Also the chances that someone will make snap desicions to kill someone in a crime of passion/anger are more likely. Yes I know if you snap you may beat or stab them to death. I'm aware there are other ways to kill someone. However if a gun is available that person's decision may be quicker and have greater consequences.

Please store and handle your guns responsibly people.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1529

I don't own a gun and have never shot a gun but have been kicking around getting conceal and carry for a while now. Mexico has very strict gun laws.... how is that going for them down there? Horribly.

Also, as far as mass killings go, if someone isn't willing to follow the law of DON'T KILL PEOPLE what moron thinks they will follow the law to not possess a fire arm? That doesn't make any sense.

DISCLAIMER: My company does electronic system integration and home theater, golf simulators, etc. and we also install alarm systems and cameras as part of our product offering.

That being said, we have a Belgian Malinois for our home. NOT a monitored alarm. I tell clients all the time that if someone WANTS in your home, they will come in. If they WANT to hurt you, rob you, etc. they will attempt to do so. There will be no stopping someone attempting to do you harm who has made up their mind (crazy or not).

The absolute BEST deterrent for home defense is a protective dog - Belgians are my favorite for this. They bark, they bite (leaving evidence), they protect, and they are fierce warnings to anyone who has seen your property... all the while being wonderful family members in between.

Most burglaries are not sporadic. They are done by people who have seen your home, know what you have (to an extent), or have been in your neighborhood. If someone knows your dog will attack them, alert someone, or has the potential to do serious harm..... the odds are swung heavily in your favor that they wont even try to come to the door. And, even if they do, the barking dog will scare them.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 75

I remember growing up in a rural area. Home invasions were few and far between, the reason being everyone had a gun. As far as mass shootings go, there are not more of them these days(check the statistics). We have more access to the news.

I personaly believe if they were not reported so heavily there would less of them. I also believe there is so much violence in the movies and games. Kids become jaded & don't think killing someone is such a big deal(until it is too late).

I believe in the right to bear arms, but no one needs an assualt weapon.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:57 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23155

Guns are a very useful tool. Not having one would make life on the farm a lot less pleasant/efficient.

Guns are not the problem. Crazy people and the media are the problems.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:59 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30030

I do not currently own a gun, but my wife and I talked this morning, and we are going to get one.

I can support laws that would require background checks at ALL points of sale.

I would not object to a ban on assault weapons or armor piercing rounds, as long as it stopped there.

But gun control laws would not have prevented this tragedy. The kid got the guns from his mother who bought the guns legally.

Most of these mass murder sprees would be more impacted by better mental health services, not tighter gun laws.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

The real problem, in my opinion, is that there is no enforced treatment for the mentally ill. Many disturbed people are allowed to go around free as a bird until they snap. There's no forced institutionalization, no forced medicinal checks and balances, and authorities are allowed to do NOTHING if called about someone who seems dangerous unless they are actively working towards something dangerous and, even then, their rights at this point are that they aren't to be investigated as thoroughly as people would think they should.

If nature has dictated that someone has become mentally unstable, I feel bad for them and feel like they need help. Unfortunately, a lot of people aren't able or willing to help themselves and I think that people right in the head need to be able to work to help the mentally ill, even if it's through forced and regular treatment.

My brother in law works with the mentally ill for the state of Ohio. He said he gets calls ALL THE TIME from family members, friends, etc. of mentally unstable people who say that they are potentially a danger to themselves or others. He is NOT allowed to act upon this or call the police unless they give specific details and threats. Even then, he was told by the police that legally they cannot invade someone's privacy unless when they show up they are given a reason to be alarmed. Like, someone's waving a gun around or something.

It's all very sad on both sides of the coin. Until we make some drastic changes to our laws and regulations regarding the mentally ill, this stuff will not stop. If it's not a gun, it will be a knife. If not that, they will crash vehicles into buildings. if not that, they will assault folks, And on and on. Point being: These people will act out in violent ways.... BECAUSE THEY ARE CRAZY.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Guns are a very useful tool. Not having one would make life on the farm a lot less pleasant/efficient.

Guns are not the problem. Crazy people and the media are the problems.
It wouldn't be a beet farm by any chance, would it?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:10 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23155

It wouldn't be a beet farm by any chance, would it?

There are some cows around, Dexters, but that wasn't the inference for the gun. My big thing is the chickens and I set live traps to catch pests that mistake them for dinner. LIve traps are best, as you can see what the animal is before deciding to put it down or not. Cats get to see my dog up close, while in the trap, then taken to the edge of the property and released. The dog is an incentive not to come back. Skunks get released, as they eat rodents and snakes, so they're good in my book. Possum, raccoon, mink, and almost all other varmits are a lot less lucky.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:11 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28284

Big Second Amendment supporter here!

Now, with that being said, I don't need a firearm in Kettering, Ohio. However, if I lived near the woods far from any city, you bet I would take the appropriate safety classes and keep something locked up. If I lived in a more urban area with a high crime rate, I might do the same.

The massacre in Newtown would not have been prevented by the government controlling firearm ownership. That crackpot would have gone nuts no matter what, obtained a gun illegally, or used another means to commit mass murder.

This terrible incident in Connecticut did not change my mind about guns. However, it has strengthened my opinion that we will see more of this type of violence, not less, if we do not strengthen our families and rediscover moral values. If that horrible monster had better family support, more love, and a well-informed conscience he would probably be in a college classroom or working at a job instead of slaughtering innocent people.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:14 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6376

Theres no need for assault rifles and other weapons designed for one thing, to kill people. Im from CT and this tragedy is something words cannot express when you hear the details about what happened to these poor children.

If anything comes from this horrific tragedy I hope its gun control
Old 12-16-2012, 10:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 31089

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_Bengals_x View Post
With mass shootings getting more and more common

No they aren't.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post

Spin it however you please
This says Alot about you
Words of a fool I say

This country is on the verge of collapse
When we loose reserve currency status our lifestyles will change over night
Government knows this
That's why they want our guns

Only a fool doesn't prepare for the storm

To stand against the secod amendment is to stad against America

I support gun
I even support grenade
Every American should have a grenade if try so please
Old 12-16-2012, 10:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post

Old 12-16-2012, 10:59 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47073

Like every good country boy, I keep a shotgun and a rifle. I like to hunt, and occasionally target shoot. I took my son to the woods at a young age to show him the power and danger of guns, as he got older I have since taught him how to respect and shoot a gun. I also have a handgun for my wife's protection, as I work out of town a good bit.

It is a terrible thing when guns fall into the wrong hands, and innocent people suffer as a result. Gun owners need to take greater responsibility for the guns that they own, keep them locked and safe from those who should not be handling them. However, more gun laws aren't the answer. We already have ample legislation in regard to firearms. Most criminals don't purchase their guns in the legal manner, anyhow.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19224

My stance on gun control is that we're too far in to try and take all the guns off the streets and out of the public because you can't just say "ok, everyone turn in your guns and we'll take your word for it," because then you end up with only people who are trying to hurt people having guns and people don't have them to protect themselves.

I do think that they need to have stricter laws on who they let have guns. I believe they said that the guy had mental problems(?), so you can't let people like that have guns. They also need to be periodically tested again to make sure that their mental stability hasn't changed and also interview their family and friends to make sure that they haven't noticed anything. That may seem extreme but it might be necessary.

As far as the Second Amendment, it's also illegal to kill people and to violate other people's right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and that right should take priority over the Second Amendment.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 1139

The government will have as much success In taking our guns as denny does trying to tell us to not make "political" threads
Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: How do you feel about guns?

They are fine if used, for what they were intended to be used for, I don't believe any household needs a weapon such as the ak47, or any other high powered automatic, or semi automatic weapon,if you have weapons in a household with children, there should be a metal, locking cabinet, and the key should be locked in another place, not laid on top of the cabinet, as I see a lot of idiots do.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2855

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabengal View Post

I believe in the right to bear arms, but no one needs an assault weapon.
Do you know what classified as an "assault" weapon in the 97 ban?
Adjustable stocks, flash hider, bayonet lug, bayonet, pistol grips on rifles, and high capacity mags.
Nothing that makes any difference if someone decides they are going to kill someone.

If you want to bring up the issue of high cap magazines, someone can carry three 10 round mags in the same place that they could fit one 30 round mag.
Now add the fact that a person can change a magazine in a matter of seconds and mag restrictions start making less sense.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFather07 View Post
Theres no need for assault rifles and other weapons designed for one thing, to kill people. Im from CT and this tragedy is something words cannot express when you hear the details about what happened to these poor children.

If anything comes from this horrific tragedy I hope its gun control
Mexico has some of the strictest anti gun ownership laws IN THE WORLD. That has not ended up protecting them. Not even close.

We need stricter CRAZY PERSON CONTROL.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2855

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
They are fine if used, for what they were intended to be used for, I don't believe any household needs a weapon such as the ak47, or any other high powered automatic, or semi automatic weapon,if you have weapons in a household with children, there should be a metal, locking cabinet, and the key should be locked in another place, not laid on top of the cabinet, as I see a lot of idiots do.
You are right about not needing a high power rifle for HOME defense as the rounds could possibly pass through your target and pass through multiple walls possibly hit other people. This can be lessened if not eliminated by using proper rounds such as hollow/soft points. This is not just limited to high power rifles but includes handguns also as they have more than enough power to go through multiple targets.
A proper gun for home defense would be a hand gun or shotgun WITH proper ammunition.
BUT you aren't only going to have to engage targets in your home or close quarters and that is where the need for a high powered rife is needed.