Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:14 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22229
Default Gameplan the Steelers.

How do you get WR production from somebody besides AJ? The last Pittsburgh game, AJ had a long day. How do you get him the ball?

How do you attack their D? How do you keep the offense out of the group snooze they go into for some part of nearly every game? What's your plan for running the ball. Some play action would be nice.

I think you need a first half game plan AND a second half game plan. The Steelers always seem to adjust well at halftime and then stymie us in the second half. How do you prevent that from happening?

On defense, it all comes down to keeping Ben from making big plays outside the pocket. He's done it to us his whole career. How do you stop it?

With the abundance of football smarts here, we should be able to come up with a winner.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:35 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 825
Default Re: Gameplan the Steelers.

We will need to establish the run early and keep the D honest with some deep balls to AJ and Marvin.

If we dont feel the line is going top give Andy much time roll him out of the pocket some and let him use his legs if needed. Also dink and dunk, we have plenty of quality short yardage possession receivers (Hawkins and Whalen) that we can utilize in addition to our TE's.

Our D will keep us in the game, its our offense's job to put points on the board. A fast start would be great to get their fans out of the game as well.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:37 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpjet View Post
We will need to establish the run early and keep the D honest with some deep balls to AJ and Marvin.

If we dont feel the line is going top give Andy much time roll him out of the pocket some and let him use his legs if needed. Also dink and dunk, we have plenty of quality short yardage possession receivers (Hawkins and Whalen) that we can utilize in addition to our TE's.

Our D will keep us in the game, its our offense's job to put points on the board. A fast start would be great to get their fans out of the game as well.
We've seen lots of fast starts followed by comatose second halves. I like a fast start too. I really need to see a strong finish. Wouldn't it be great to see a 4th quarter like Thursday night? Not holding my breath, but definitely hoping.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:05 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6031

Run it a ton. Defense plays strong for 60 minutes. Parts of the defense need to step it up another notch. They're playing well, but the coverage has to be even better. Game in late December outside will be won in the middle of the field.

Also, if you are on defense be prepared to jump on a fumble and hold on to it. If you're on offense, both hands on the ball please. Penalty free, mistake free, wins this game.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7418

Do we survive another trick play for 6 by the steelers? The only reason they didn't get one against us earlier in the year is because dude dropped it. He was wide f'n open too.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:18 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 779

Drop Big Ben on his big fat head over and over and over again... and if you can blindside him a few times and get a big hit from the back... all the better.

"Terrible Towels are for wiping, not waving."

Now let's DO this!

#whodey
Old 12-16-2012, 12:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2791

Control the tempo of the game with the run game.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19460

Put Gresham and Charles on the field at the same time with two-tight end, single back sets and carve up their 3-4.

Establish the run because we're running a true WCO and the Law Firm is killing it in that role, which is giving him the ball a few yards deep while he's running downhill and let him find the gaps because the defense can't crowd the line. Charles and Gresham up the seam will keep the safeties in check and open up things for AJ.

On defense, send the house on Ben because their line is horrible and it takes multiple people to bring his big *** down.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17861

I hate to say it, but we don't match up well with the Steelers. The issue is we have a mediocre offense and they have a dominating defense. On the other side of the ball when Ben is healthy, he takes care of the ball and makes the 2 or 3 plays a game needed to beat us. Our defense is also very good, but normally we don't get many turnovers. I think special teams are fairly even.

The game will come down to dalton being accurate and our players stepping up and making big plays. Andy has not played well for weeks now. The receivers have not helped him either. The OL was horrid Thursday night.

That is the bad news. The good news is we are not that far behind the Steelers so if the defense can dominate, the special teams can play well, then Andy and the offense need to not turn the ball over and grind.

If we can't beat them, we should not be in the playoffs especailly since it appears they will not win the division. One thing we know, we will get their best effort. Can we win a big game in December on the road? It is another question to be answered soon by the young Bengals team.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikairius View Post
Exactly what we should have done in the Cowboys game. Weren't we averaging 7 ypc before we abandoned it?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
I hate to say it, but we don't match up well with the Steelers. The issue is we have a mediocre offense and they have a dominating defense...
This is a concern .. our offense versus their D is a tough matchup. Pitt defend the run well (although Green-Ellis did carry 8 times for 44 yards on the opening drive last game) and they'll take AJ away and force us to throw to other people. I think we need to prepare some bold plays on special teams and be prepared to call for a big play in that phase of the game to help the scoreboard out.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18407

Baby Hawk can be huge for us in this game if we use him correctly, as well as Charles creating mismatches on LB's and being the guy they will choose not to cover.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 302

Marvin Jones is going to have to make a big play for us in this game. If he does I think it opens up Green and or baby hawk and gresh underneath.

Andy has to stay patient and find the open guy.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:09 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
I hate to say it, but we don't match up well with the Steelers. The issue is we have a mediocre offense and they have a dominating defense. On the other side of the ball when Ben is healthy, he takes care of the ball and makes the 2 or 3 plays a game needed to beat us. Our defense is also very good, but normally we don't get many turnovers. I think special teams are fairly even.

The game will come down to dalton being accurate and our players stepping up and making big plays. Andy has not played well for weeks now. The receivers have not helped him either. The OL was horrid Thursday night.

That is the bad news. The good news is we are not that far behind the Steelers so if the defense can dominate, the special teams can play well, then Andy and the offense need to not turn the ball over and grind.

If we can't beat them, we should not be in the playoffs especailly since it appears they will not win the division. One thing we know, we will get their best effort. Can we win a big game in December on the road? It is another question to be answered soon by the young Bengals team.
This!

Dalton has to be MUCH better. No more missed screen pass to Leonard, high balls to a 6'5" Gresham, missing wide open Hawkins in end zone, missing a one on one Marvin Jones, or throwing to a triple covered Green. He can't hold onto the ball too long. He cannot lock in on receivers. He has to go through his progressions.

Gruden has to have a gameplan ready to go. He needs to be able to change the gameplan during the game/at half. He has to have contingencies and backup players prepared in case of injuries. He has to call correct plays with routes that get our receivers open.

Receivers have to catch the ball and run perfect routes.

Most importantly - the line of scrimmage has to controlled on both offense and defense. This is a shoving match - point blank. We need to shove harder.

Lewis has to show emotion on the sideline and be in the refs ear pleading our case, pointing out fouls, throwing good challenge flags, conserving time outs, preventing delay of games and too many men on the field calls.

Do the above - and we will win.

No turnovers - obviously!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15329

What happened to the jump ball? I miss it. Wasn't Dalton almost perfect on the deep balls down the middle of the field? It's one of the things that made Dalton to Green great. Hopefully we see a couple for old time sake the next couple games.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6278

I vote that we do whatever the Chargers did.

I was only half paying attention to that game (I was watching our game on the computer), but they got off to a fast start and got after Ben.

It is unlikely we will be able to pass effectively against them, so we will have to rely on old-school, classic AFC North football. Run the ball, play good defense, don't turn the ball over, no stupid penalties. These things are clichés for a reason; they work.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikairius View Post
So true control the line of scrimmage. Dwyer had 122 yds against us the first time can't happen this time we need to out rush them and win the turnover battle
Old 12-16-2012, 02:12 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 772

Take their tight end out of the game or we're in trouble.

They always ABUSE us with their tight ends :(

Heck, we have probs with most teams' TE's
Old 12-16-2012, 05:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9438

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
I vote that we do whatever the Chargers did....
Just watched the first half of the replay of that game, and seemed like the Chargers had a lot of success pressuring Ben with safety blitzes. Lynch and Weddle in on Ben quite a bit for the Chargers.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11780

Ground and pound with a sprinkle of play-action misdirection dink & dump passes with the WRs in crossing routes. Get the ball out of Dalton's hands as quick as possible. If we are to take a shot down field, let it be on 1st down.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Old 12-16-2012, 05:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Utilize Gresham and Charles A LOT.
Get Hawkins in on some reverses and stretch runs.

Take away Heath Miller as much as possible.
Creative blitzing so Ben doesn't have time to bomb it to Wallace.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33716

I've been hoping that Jay has been saving something for the Steelers game. We haven't seen much creativity since the Skins game.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 12-16-2012, 06:05 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 772

Anyone disagree?

Seems to be our achilles heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
Take their tight end out of the game or we're in trouble.

They always ABUSE us with their tight ends :(

Heck, we have probs with most teams' TE's
Old 12-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpjet View Post
Also dink and dunk, we have plenty of quality short yardage possession receivers (Hawkins and Whalen) that we can utilize in addition to our TE's.
I'm just wondering why we never do dink and dunk regardless of the fact we have Hawkins and Whalen. I'm just hoping Gruden has some tricks up his sleeve.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33716

I seen someone mention dink and dunk, we really need to get Andy some easy completions so he can find his rhythm. Seems like every time I watch good teams play (even the Cowboys game right now), they always have short routes where the WR is wide open. I'm not sure I've seen a Bengals wr that was wide open this year (other than AJ a few times).

Sig by CinWillWin

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 12-16-2012 at 06:25 PM.