Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Smack Talk

Smack Talk Talk trash with fans from opposing teams. Have fun guys and gals, but keep it clean.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20726
Default Re: Mendenhall Suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmith(DE) View Post
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...s-deal-sources

Now they're talking contract extension. Interesting. Definately an odd move.
Yeah, especially after these snippets from that story...

"Also, Mendenhall was informed by his friends, not his coaches, that he had lost his starting job two weeks ago to Jonathan Dwyer, sources said.

Then he found out he was being deactivated against Baltimore when he arrived at the stadium and found his locker empty."

If Tomlin is doing that kind of BS to him, I honestly don't blame the guy for not showing up to the Chargers game when they told him he wasn't going to be active.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
Yeah, especially after these snippets from that story...

"Also, Mendenhall was informed by his friends, not his coaches, that he had lost his starting job two weeks ago to Jonathan Dwyer, sources said.

Then he found out he was being deactivated against Baltimore when he arrived at the stadium and found his locker empty."

If Tomlin is doing that kind of BS to him, I honestly don't blame the guy for not showing up to the Chargers game when they told him he wasn't going to be active.

By his friends, it's likely Dwyer who really looks up to Mendy. If that's the case I see no issue with it. Teams operate in different ways, you may not like it but the Steelers just go about a 'do your job' philosophy. Just because Dwyer or another back may have informed him an hour or two early, doesn't mean Tomlin is treating him poorly.

The only "poor" treatment he has received is being put in the doghouse specifically, and only, for 2 fumbles in 3 carries. Which an argument can be made is completely justified. As I posted earlier in this thread it appeared they made up.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1762

It may be possible that they want to keep him as a back up for Dwyer and Redman.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:15 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmith(DE) View Post
By his friends, it's likely Dwyer who really looks up to Mendy. If that's the case I see no issue with it. Teams operate in different ways, you may not like it but the Steelers just go about a 'do your job' philosophy. Just because Dwyer or another back may have informed him an hour or two early, doesn't mean Tomlin is treating him poorly.

The only "poor" treatment he has received is being put in the doghouse specifically, and only, for 2 fumbles in 3 carries. Which an argument can be made is completely justified. As I posted earlier in this thread it appeared they made up.
Problem with that is that Tomlin is suppossed to be a "player's coach" In any case, you would expect the coach to man up and tell the player that he's being benched and why.

The other issue is that if they are benching/deactivating Mendenhall for fumbles, then they are basically making him the whipping boy for the overall fumbling problems of the club. The Steelers have the 2nd most fumbles in the entire league. You guys have fumbled 31 times this year. That's over 2 fumbles a game. Your -14 turnover differential is 4th worst in the league. When so many guys on your club have a fumbling problem, that's on the coaching staff, and trying to make an example out of one guy while letting the rest of the club skate by isn't going to work, as evidenced by the Steelers' performance against the Cowboys.