Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 789
Default Re: Gameplan the Steelers.

copycat the cowboys
Old 12-16-2012, 07:12 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 202

Dink and dunk all first half second half play long ball. Both halves run it down their throat.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 49866

Gotta pressure Ben, all day long. When he makes the first rusher miss, someone needs to make him pay and think twice about scrambling around.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I seen someone mention dink and dunk, we really need to get Andy some easy completions so he can find his rhythm. Seems like every time I watch good teams play (even the Cowboys game right now), they always have short routes where the WR is wide open. I'm not sure I've seen a Bengals wr that was wide open this year (other than AJ a few times).
You are on the right track. The Steelers will undoubtedly double AJ (bracket) with an over and an under defender. How we beat that is we put our fears of mistakes in the closet and line up Gresham, Marvin Jones, and Baby Hawk as receivers. Maybe rotate Whalen in to spell guys. And you attack the steelers defense with the three receivers that should be single covered. You may have to throw the ball 35 times, but if they can't stop it they will have to alter their coverage. Of course, I would mix in runs to BJGE, but the key to attacking the steelers is multiple receiving options and getting their older, slower defense in space.

On defense, I think you avoid blitzing and focus on covering their backs and TEs short routes with the LBs. Lamur is going to be needed on this one. He may be their best cover LB already. I would allow a safety blitz here and there, but our LBs are useless as pass rushers. Crocker and Nelson (and maybe Mays) are the best pass rushing options, but I would only send one. The steelers like running a lot of pseudo pick-plays at or near the LOS. The defenders are going to have to play fearless and blow up blockers.

Special teams? Simple. Sit Tate on all PRs. Adam Jones has game-changing ability. The need it now more than ever.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 32

Rush the qb and pound the ball with Smith and Zeitler and BJGE
Old 12-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRacerX View Post
You are on the right track. The Steelers will undoubtedly double AJ (bracket) with an over and an under defender. How we beat that is we put our fears of mistakes in the closet and line up Gresham, Marvin Jones, and Baby Hawk as receivers. Maybe rotate Whalen in to spell guys. And you attack the steelers defense with the three receivers that should be single covered. You may have to throw the ball 35 times, but if they can't stop it they will have to alter their coverage. Of course, I would mix in runs to BJGE, but the key to attacking the steelers is multiple receiving options and getting their older, slower defense in space.

On defense, I think you avoid blitzing and focus on covering their backs and TEs short routes with the LBs. Lamur is going to be needed on this one. He may be their best cover LB already. I would allow a safety blitz here and there, but our LBs are useless as pass rushers. Crocker and Nelson (and maybe Mays) are the best pass rushing options, but I would only send one. The steelers like running a lot of pseudo pick-plays at or near the LOS. The defenders are going to have to play fearless and blow up blockers.

Special teams? Simple. Sit Tate on all PRs. Adam Jones has game-changing ability. The need it now more than ever.
Jones only returns punts after a 3 and out because he plays the nickel and can't be tired
Old 12-16-2012, 11:34 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
This is a concern .. our offense versus their D is a tough matchup. Pitt defend the run well (although Green-Ellis did carry 8 times for 44 yards on the opening drive last game) and they'll take AJ away and force us to throw to other people. I think we need to prepare some bold plays on special teams and be prepared to call for a big play in that phase of the game to help the scoreboard out.
Our young interior line still wasn't playing well at that point. I have to believe they'll do better this time around. Having John Conner with us now ought to help, too. No disrespect to Pressley, but Conner just knows how to bring the nasty.

Romo made the Steelers' secondary look pretty pathetic today. If we can give Andy some time to throw the ball, I look for AJ to have a big day, but it will take getting the ball to guys like Hawkins and Charles to take some of the heat off of him. I guarantee you that the Steelers' main objective on D will be to make someone other than AJ beat them.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 30168

If the Bengals can't run the ball against the Steelers it will be a very long day at Heinz Field. Making sure BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Boom Herron, and especially new fullback John Connor get lots of touches is crucial to establishing an offensive tempo Andy Dalton can manage. Then, once the Steelers begin to crowd the line of scrimmage to protect against the run, play action passes to receivers on crossing routes will generate some good yardage. As for the long ball, I'm not sure Pittsburgh's defense is conducive to allowing that sort of thing.

Also, after watching the Steelers-Cowboys game, I've come to the conclusion that Pittsburgh's defense is still good up the middle and at the far edges but outside the tackles things get softer: Dallas ran successfully with both DeMarco Murray and Felix Jones outside the tackles.

On defense the Cincinnati defensive line has to generate pressure against Ben Roethlisberger but the pressure has to come from all directions. If Ben is contained, he cannot extend plays -- and never forget the other half of that equation is making sure all receivers are covered and covered tight. Mike Wallace is dangerous and he will need some extra attention. Against the run I would "spy" Vontaze Burfict on whomever runs the ball for the Steelers.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:11 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikairius View Post
Control the tempo of the game with the run game.
This plus defense.

Ben just tossed the game away to the Cowboys in over time. He will be looking for vengeance. We need the D to come out and control the tempo play rough and be in Ben's face all day long and put him on the ground.

On the offense we have to establish the run so we can take advantage of the Steelers battered secondary. They are hurting at DB and we need our WRs to step up and have a big game. What they have done the last two weeks is completely unacceptable.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

-Wrap up Roethlisberger, contain him, & don't fall for the pump fake.

-Jam the pocket on Roethlisberger and have Dunlap & Johnson rush the outside forcing Roethlisberger to step up while having Lawson or Bufict rushing a gap where Roethlisberger is.

-Stop the run.

-Don't let the Steelers WR's get open and try to make there own plays when Roethlisberger tries to scramble.

-Stay consistent on offense. Nickel and dime down the field and play smart. We need to treat this game like it's the superbowl and go for the juggular because thats the only way were going to win. If we win this game it will be a huge win and we can carry over that motivation going into the game against the Ravens and start a hot streak going into the playoffs.

-Just have to make plays and do what you gotta do to make the plays.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4374

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsbalzac2 View Post
Jones only returns punts after a 3 and out because he plays the nickel and can't be tired
That may have been the strategy before, but it needs to change for this game. Dallas hurt pittsburg big time in the return game. They need Jones.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12299

Or we can keep it simple - just keep the ball away from the Steelers offense. Grind it out on offense while eating chunks of clock. Just keep moving the chains. Keep moving forward. Keep the ball.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Old 12-17-2012, 09:10 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega IV View Post
Drop Big Ben on his big fat head over and over and over again... and if you can blindside him a few times and get a big hit from the back... all the better.

This!!! When the Bengals get their hands on Big Ben, and they will, it is important they bring him down, because if he gets away, we're screwed! Make every hit count, meaning, make sure he feels it. Dont get flagged, but I would be putting my helmet on his ribs every chance I got and drop him on his bad shoulder.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
If the Bengals can't run the ball against the Steelers it will be a very long day at Heinz Field. Making sure BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Boom Herron, and especially new fullback John Connor get lots of touches is crucial to establishing an offensive tempo Andy Dalton can manage. Then, once the Steelers begin to crowd the line of scrimmage to protect against the run, play action passes to receivers on crossing routes will generate some good yardage. As for the long ball, I'm not sure Pittsburgh's defense is conducive to allowing that sort of thing.

Also, after watching the Steelers-Cowboys game, I've come to the conclusion that Pittsburgh's defense is still good up the middle and at the far edges but outside the tackles things get softer: Dallas ran successfully with both DeMarco Murray and Felix Jones outside the tackles.

On defense the Cincinnati defensive line has to generate pressure against Ben Roethlisberger but the pressure has to come from all directions. If Ben is contained, he cannot extend plays -- and never forget the other half of that equation is making sure all receivers are covered and covered tight. Mike Wallace is dangerous and he will need some extra attention. Against the run I would "spy" Vontaze Burfict on whomever runs the ball for the Steelers.
Agreed! How does Ben always beat our D? We get pressure on him, but dont bring him down! WE HAVE to make sure we tackle him when we get to him, otherwise, it'll be the same old story!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5356

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Gotta pressure Ben, all day long. When he makes the first rusher miss, someone needs to make him pay and think twice about scrambling around.
This and when he does get the throw off our tall DEs need to tip the pass.

If we do that and establish a potent run game we have a good chance.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:52 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 644

Let's not forget that the steelers are hurting on the back end of their defense. No Ike Taylor, they were down to 4 and 5 corners in the Dallas game, Andy needs to take advantage of that.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2857

Ok let's be honest here!!

On paper we don't matchup that well with this team. It is a game at pittsburg where we hardly ever play well. We have alot on the line and Bengals teams traditionally don't fare well in those games. Here's the good news, the Bengals know what the Steelers are going to do to them. On defense, the Steelers are going to bracket the hell out of AJ Green. They are going to blitz the crap out of Dalton and try to force him into errors. On offesnse the Steelers are going to spread us out and try to out speed our corners. They are going to attack us alot with Heath Miller since we have always struggled covering him. Big Ben is going to extend plays.

In my opinion the game plan is this....Don't do anything to beat yourself, take our game right at them, and play to our strengths.

1- This type of game you can not have 9 penalties, you can not have your QB not make TD throws, you can't lob balls out into the flat, your defense can't drop INT's, we have to tackle and always be weary of the Pittsburgh trick play.

2- Too often with pittsburgh we let them dictate the game. You know what we can run the ball. Let Zeitler and Dre do their thing and smack them in the mouth with BJGE a few times. Don't be afraid to run the ball. If we are dink and dunk team then take what they give you and control the clock. We set the tone not the other way around

3- We play to our strenghts... Find ways to get Green the ball, get Gresham in good matchups, screen the over aggressive defense they have. But most importantly our Defensive Line has to win this game. This game will come down to who is more physical in the trenches like most games do. Can we get Big Ben to the ground. Not pulling him down I am talking smacking him a few times. MJ, Dunlap, Geno, Geathers who can step up and smack him. These guys have to set the tone of the game.

Should be a good game, Hopefully we play a hell of lot better than we did the last two weeks or it could be ugly. WHO DEY
Old 12-17-2012, 11:34 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5721

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRAB14 View Post
Ok let's be honest here!!

On paper we don't matchup that well with this team. It is a game at pittsburg where we hardly ever play well. We have alot on the line and Bengals teams traditionally don't fare well in those games. Here's the good news, the Bengals know what the Steelers are going to do to them. On defense, the Steelers are going to bracket the hell out of AJ Green. They are going to blitz the crap out of Dalton and try to force him into errors. On offesnse the Steelers are going to spread us out and try to out speed our corners. They are going to attack us alot with Heath Miller since we have always struggled covering him. Big Ben is going to extend plays.

In my opinion the game plan is this....Don't do anything to beat yourself, take our game right at them, and play to our strengths.

1- This type of game you can not have 9 penalties, you can not have your QB not make TD throws, you can't lob balls out into the flat, your defense can't drop INT's, we have to tackle and always be weary of the Pittsburgh trick play.

2- Too often with pittsburgh we let them dictate the game. You know what we can run the ball. Let Zeitler and Dre do their thing and smack them in the mouth with BJGE a few times. Don't be afraid to run the ball. If we are dink and dunk team then take what they give you and control the clock. We set the tone not the other way around

3- We play to our strenghts... Find ways to get Green the ball, get Gresham in good matchups, screen the over aggressive defense they have. But most importantly our Defensive Line has to win this game. This game will come down to who is more physical in the trenches like most games do. Can we get Big Ben to the ground. Not pulling him down I am talking smacking him a few times. MJ, Dunlap, Geno, Geathers who can step up and smack him. These guys have to set the tone of the game.

Should be a good game, Hopefully we play a hell of lot better than we did the last two weeks or it could be ugly. WHO DEY
Honestly this has nothing to do with not matching up well. You didn't really point to one match up, but rather schemes and coaching. With the way their defense has played the last few games getting little pressure and turnovers I like our Offense versus their defense. Our defense has been playing well as of late and their offense has been hot and cold. On special teams we have had big plays for the last few weeks. Based on actual match ups I like our odds.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 297

Last game the Steelers kept in Miller to max protect. When he had blocked the defender for a while, he would wriggle out of the protection and go for a route. This worked a lot on us. Miller absolutely killed us. I would have one guy "spy" miller the whole game. This would also help us out on bubble screens and RB screens as the defender doesn't have to worry about rushing the passer and can worry about the TEs and backs coming out of the backfield. I also think we have the perfect guy for this kind of responsibility - Taylor Mays.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7911

It's funny how some here keep calling out Dalton and no one mentions the REAL problem - someone other than Green has to step up and actually CATCH THE BALL consistently. We're averaging something like 6 drops a game over the last three IIRC - that is unacceptable. Also Gresham cannot fumble and/or get called for holding.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:36 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 178

Everything mentioned, haven't seen anything about the redzon though.

SCORE TD'S AND NOT SETTLE FOR 3!
Old 12-17-2012, 12:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2094

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfTheTiger View Post
This!

Dalton has to be MUCH better. No more missed screen pass to Leonard, high balls to a 6'5" Gresham, missing wide open Hawkins in end zone, missing a one on one Marvin Jones, or throwing to a triple covered Green. He can't hold onto the ball too long. He cannot lock in on receivers. He has to go through his progressions.

Gruden has to have a gameplan ready to go. He needs to be able to change the gameplan during the game/at half. He has to have contingencies and backup players prepared in case of injuries. He has to call correct plays with routes that get our receivers open.

Receivers have to catch the ball and run perfect routes.

Most importantly - the line of scrimmage has to controlled on both offense and defense. This is a shoving match - point blank. We need to shove harder.

Lewis has to show emotion on the sideline and be in the refs ear pleading our case, pointing out fouls, throwing good challenge flags, conserving time outs, preventing delay of games and too many men on the field calls.

Do the above - and we will win.

No turnovers - obviously!
This is the best all around analysis of how a Bengals team should win EVERY game they play. lol I feel if we do all these things consistently, we would be the Midwest Patriots.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:00 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1198

Spread them out with 3 or 4 wide and attack their secondary imo. Substitute a lot of 1st down runs with shorter passes and go smashmouth in the later downs. Play red-zone d with a lot of mush rush and deep zone until they have a shorter field to work with-then crank up the heat w/ man and zone blitzes.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
Honestly this has nothing to do with not matching up well. You didn't really point to one match up, but rather schemes and coaching. With the way their defense has played the last few games getting little pressure and turnovers I like our Offense versus their defense. Our defense has been playing well as of late and their offense has been hot and cold. On special teams we have had big plays for the last few weeks. Based on actual match ups I like our odds.
Yeah I didn't want to spend alot of time but on paper if you put postitions or groups head to head they are better. But on paper is very different than playing. I will most likely give the Steelers the edge in my prediction but based mostly on the fact they are at home
Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 341

Don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but I think Dalton also needs to be prepared to do what he didn't do until the 2nd half against the Eagles, and that is to neutralize pressure by scrambling.

If PIT is getting pressure early, Dalton will likely be a mess all game. If there's pressure, he needs to look at his first, maybe 2nd read, and if there's a lane to step up into and start running, he needs to take it. If he can put together a couple first downs that way, maybe a couple 12-20 yd gains, PIT will back off on the pressure and we can get back to our game plan.